• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 Officially Revealed for PC, Xbox One, PS4 [Reddit Rumor = Ban]

Odrion

Banned
So did the thread already talk about the old rumor on reddit that seems to have been on the money with everything up until now: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/28v2dn/i_played_fallout_4/

A lot of cool stuff. But it also says you can't make a female character in the main story. If that is also true, yiiiiikes.
It's a simple addition, but it makes the trailer SO much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McDo4XGnW_k
This isn't the Snoop Dogg weed meme.

Well I'm really struggling to understand how someone could say Witcher 3 and Fallout aren't comparable. They're both open world RPGs with quests and exploration. In W3 you play Geralt, in Fallout 3 you play your own character - who is always someone looking for their dad. So massive a difference that it is just asinine to compare them.

In Fallout 3, I'm a survivor. I'm whoever I want to be. In my current playthrough, I'm a cynical 19 year old kid with social issues, who isn't too smart, and who isn't prepared for the outside world, but who happened to be a huge fan of old world Baseball growing up, so at least he's got a bit of agility and stamina. I've got a house carved from the ruins of an old water tower. I like to keep my favorite gun, an old rusty Sten, on top of my desk, and changes of clothes on the second story of this makeshift home. I frequently gets into fights in town, and I like to test fate, but the key to my survival has been my unique ability to haul ass like noone ever has when shit gets too rough. I have plenty of unique and emergent stories to tell about my journeys into the wastes, and my journeys back home. Stories not defined by a particular questline or twist, but by the strange and ever changing nature of the world and its denizens. Stories that forced me to truly improvise with the myriad things I had, forced me to abandon loot to run away from unexpected threats, forced me to hide in sewers or among ruined tunnels instead of following the route the crow flies.

Playing a Fallout game is a very different experience from playing The Witcher 3 and you can't make the argument that it's not without boiling down both games to very base forms and arguing using surface level similarities. Tigress made an excellent post last page about how just the simple act of being able to pick up and move clutter enables a totally different perspective on roleplaying and personalization.

Because it adds to immersion. I loved making a home base and actually decorating it. It also made the world feel more real to me when items didn't just move around, but I could pick them up.

Bethesda games to me are like the equivelant of making the computer the games master, giving you a situation, and telling you to make a character and personality, and figure out how he/she deals with the world. You have set rules but in general you are free to try whatever the hell you want. And you are given the abilities to rp. For example being able to sit down, I love that. I miss that in Witcher. I would make my character eat twice a day and she'd sit to eat. I also loved being able to find beds to sleep in cause I made her sleep at least 6 hours and she had to find a bed she could do so (that was a challenge in itself when the game was new and I hadn't marked out spots I could go to).

To me, their worlds allow me to pretend I'm that character and I'm in that world. The little things like being able to move stuff around really does help with that. And Bethesda seems to do that kind of stuff well. I've yet to see any non turn based games that do it as well (They all seem to be really missing that. I mean I absolutely love Witcher but it definitely misses that because it's more aimed at you playing a particular story rather than playing whoever you want however you want). The many different tools you are given to choose how your character does stuff (is she good with dialogue, high charisma? Does she know a lot about science?). The fact you can do a whole peaceful play through even (in fact, if you look at people who love the Fallout games, this tends to be a marker... can we actually play without ever fighting and being a pacifist?).

That is what Bethesda does well that a lot of people who rag on them and call them awful completely miss. Something a lot of other ARPG games really miss as they focus more on just the combat gameplay part.

And no, Bethesda games aren't perfect for it. And I think there are some very valid complaints. I think they could still do better story and still allow for open gameplay (Look at New Vegas). They could do way better characterizaton (Hell, I loved how each follower had a questline that told you a story and really personalized them in Vegas). They are not so good at your choices truly affecting what you do (Skyrim, I help the stormcloaks win and I still have imperials marching stormcloak prisoners around... really?!), they kinda rail road you in the main quest (you are going to kill the big evil dragon, you are going to help the Brotherhood. No you can't decide you agree with the Enclave or you are crazy/super evil and want to help the dragon destroy the world). Hell,sometimes they forget to allow you to do everything (You can't get rid of the Thieve's Guild in Skyrim. You can't even just kill them all even if there is no quest for it. If you want to get rid fo the Assassin's Guild you are punished bya much weaker quest line with all of one quest and much crappier rewards, no neat horse for your character). All of these are valid criticisms that actually take into account why people like Bethesda games and where they could really improve for the people who want their type game.

It's not like the games are totally, wholly different in every single aspect, sure. They're directly comparable in some aspects, particularly the quality of the writing, and the impact of choice during questlines, but they're also structured very differently and have swathes of gameplay differences both large and small that contribute to the games feeling and playing out very differently from one another, to the point where I'd argue they're not directly comparable, because they're not played and enjoyed for quite the same reasons.

partyboy

People play Fallout 3 for a personal and involved roleplaying experience that puts them in the position of journeyman, free to go where they want, see the things they want, do the things they want, say the things they want - and lets them determine the inside and outs of that characters life in the context of the story.

What you describe is the fantasy of how Bethesda games operate, not how they actually operate. The main quest forces you down a very specific path. Even if you choose to completely ignore the main quest, you're still very limited in how you can resolve side quests. Say the things you want? How often did Fallout 3 really give you a choice in what you can say that actually made any difference? The occasional dialogue check that resulted in the same outcome + some extra XP isn't roleplay, it's a gimmick.

Bethesda sell the idea of "be anyone" but they railroad you at almost every turn.

BouncyFrag

Legit shook if it comes out this year.
Me too. Part of the experience of getting a new, big game like FO4 is waiting a long ass time for it with the announcement itself being just the first stage in a long waiting game. Most expected just some CGI and a logo for this but we got so much more.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Not sure if posted already ,but the FALLOUT 4 page is up on steam and you can preorder it now .

http://store.steampowered.com/app/377160/

Definitely going to preorder, but the CE's for both FO3 and FONV were awesome, so I'm holding out to see what Bethesda's going to put together for FO4. Hopefully NOT a statute, but I will be happy with a high-quality bobble head. Artbook/world history, a la World of Thedas would be great too.

partyboy

In Fallout 3, I'm a survivor. I'm whoever I want to be. In my current playthrough, I'm a cynical 19 year old kid with social issues, who isn't too smart, and who isn't prepared for the outside world, but who happened to be a huge fan of old world Baseball growing up, so at least he's got a bit of agility and stamina. I've got a house carved from the ruins of an old water tower. I like to keep my favorite gun, an old rusty Sten, on top of my desk, and changes of clothes on the second story of this makeshift home. I frequently gets into fights in town, and I like to test fate, but the key to my survival has been my unique ability to haul ass like noone ever has when shit gets too rough. I have plenty of unique and emergent stories to tell about my journeys into the wastes, and my journeys back home. Stories not defined by a particular questline or twist, but by the strange and ever changing nature of the world. Stories that forced me to truly improvise with the myriad things I had, forced me to abandon loot to run away from unexpected threats, forced me to hide in sewers or among ruined tunnels instead of following the route the crow flies.

That's nice. Hey, I do the same thing. Mental LARP'ing. We both have imaginations and Bethesda force us to use them because the systems they develop don't actually allow you to be those characters for real. Anytime you do a quest, the illusion is shattered because there's almost no choice in most of them and you can only interact with characters one way.

So sure you can just hang out in the Wasteland pretending you're whatever character you want to be, ignoring all the quests. That still doesn't make Fallout 3 uncomparable to Witcher 3, it just means it leaves less room for you to imagine the details of your own character, a character forced to ignore all of Bethesda's quests because they are almost always tailored for a specific type of character.

Gestahl

You're right. People play and enjoy Witcher 3 for the excellent writing, amazing quests with choices that matter, and at the very least, decent combat. No one plays Fallout 3 for these things.

Going by this thread, it seems like people play Bethesda games only because they can collect sporks or some shit because it sure as shit can't be the writing or the gameplay.

Aces&Eights

In Fallout 3, I'm a survivor. I'm whoever I want to be. In my current playthrough, I'm a cynical 19 year old kid with social issues, who isn't too smart, and who isn't prepared for the outside world, but who happened to be a huge fan of old world Baseball growing up, so at least he's got a bit of agility and stamina. I've got a house carved from the ruins of an old water tower. I like to keep my favorite gun, an old rusty Sten, on top of my desk, and changes of clothes on the second story of this makeshift home. I frequently gets into fights in town, and I like to test fate, but the key to my survival has been my unique ability to haul ass like noone ever has when shit gets too rough. I have plenty of unique and emergent stories to tell about my journeys into the wastes, and my journeys back home. Stories not defined by a particular questline or twist, but by the strange and ever changing nature of the world. Stories that forced me to truly improvise with the myriad things I had, forced me to abandon loot to run away from unexpected threats, forced me to hide in sewers or among ruined tunnels instead of following the route the crow flies.

These games aren't directly comparable at all. They're two very different experiences and the only way to make them seem close is to boil them down like crazy, which is what you've done.

Let us not forget that in Bethesda games you can pick up a lot of stuff in the environment. Cups, ammo, stimpaks, etc. All in real time. Witcher has all items in chests. Not saying it changes everything but the games engine renders a lot more in the real time world in Fallout than Witcher 3.

Regardless, I'm super hyped for this game. It could be an exact replica of the trailer and I'd still buy it day one. People complain about downgrades then when an honest trailer comes out they complain about fidelity. Like Bethesda owes them something. They are selling the game. You don't have to buy it. You're not a stockholder. They could make it the shittest game ever and that is their right. Complain with your wallet if you don't like it. Why come on GAF and give detailed a thesis about how Bethesda owes you the game you think it should be. My ex wife didn't live up to my expectations and took a lot more than 60 bucks from me. I divorced her and moved on. Didn't need to whine in threads about it.

BouncyFrag

Going by this thread, it seems like people play Bethesda games only because they can collect sporks or some shit because it sure as shit can't be the writing or the gameplay.
I'm in it for the sweetrolls and long, moonlit walks on the beach with Fisto.

shrek

Banned
Except that's your opinion, mate. You "expect" me to subscribe to a line of shit that is simply not true. I think the graphics look fine. I think Bethesda is bringing their best and I don't think this is mediocrity. I think you have unreasonable expectations and too loud of a voice. Can't you just go blog about it instead of thread shittng?

Of course it's my opinion, but clearly many people in the thread share it. You say you think "the graphics look fine". Doesn't sound like very warm praise. Is it an "unreasonable expectation" to expect the game to look better than Skyrim?

And no, I'm not "thread shittng". Many people have been waiting for this game for a long time. If those people aren't satisfied with the way the game looks, or the fact that it seems like Bethesda is ripping the terrible assets/animations straight from Fallout 3, then why shouldn't they complain?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I just realized if this is just another update version of the Gamebryo/Creation engine it will still be 32bit. 4gb limit. Mods am cry. I really hope that is not the case.

That's nice. Hey, I do the same thing. Mental LARP'ing. We both have imaginations and Bethesda force us to use them because the systems they develop don't actually allow you to be those characters for real. Anytime you do a quest, the illusion is shattered because there's almost no choice in most of them and you can only interact with characters one way.

I think that that's an unfair generalization (I've held to my roleplaying character in almost every circumstance - the immersion breaks come mostly from awfully written characters like Moira and Nathan and Dr Lazko and that fucking creep at Little Lamplight and AntAgonizer and The Mechanist etc and I'm hoping Bethesda might have learned a few lessons from Oblivion and from NV's reception over the years) and also a bit dismissive, but keep in mind that I don't even disagree with you RE: Fallout 3's quality. Like I said, you might as well check my post history if you wanna see someone really raking Fallout 3 over the coals, because I've shat on that game. Hard. <<< Fallout 1/2 fan over here. <<< That doesn't change or invalidate the point I'm trying to make - the moment to moment, minute to minute, hour to hour experience that modern Fallout games cultivate is wholly removed from Witcher 3's more directed and less personalized RPG experience. They are not directly comparable games, because they work to achieve very different things with their very different systems. I don't know why this is such a difficult thing to argue.

BouncyFrag

Lol at people lecturing to others how they shouldn't like Bethesda games for reasons x,y, and z. I'm loving the hell out of TW3 but expect no less from FO4 which I hope turns out to be the case.

partyboy

Let us not forget that in Bethesda games you can pick up a lot of stuff in the environment. Cups, ammo, stimpaks, etc. All in real time. Witcher has all items in chests. Not saying it changes everything but the games engine renders a lot more in the real time world in Fallout than Witcher 3.
It says so much that people are using the fact that you can pick up a cup as a defense of Fallout 3 against Witcher 3. They should've put that on the box.

I mean really how does any of that change anything at all. OK those things are in the environment and you can grab them, and that helps immersion. Do I really need to list the 101 janky things in Bethesda's engine that BREAK immersion?

It says so much that people are using the fact that you can pick up a cup as a defense of Fallout 3 against Witcher 3. They should've put that on the box.

I mean really how does any of that change anything at all. OK those things are in the environment and you can grab them, and that helps immersion. Do I really need to list the 101 janky things in Bethesda's engine that BREAK immersion?

You're being downright unfair with your dismissive attitude, at this point. Nobody is saying that being able to move things makes Fallout the most immersive game in the world, or outright better than Witcher. (did you even read the post I quoted above for you? because if you did, that just makes your blithe dismissal and twisting of words even worse...) - but it contributes to immersion, and helps to differentiate Fallout and Elder Scrolls from other RPGs in terms of roleplaying possibility. I'm saying that Fallout's systems and mechanics are in place to enable a very different kind of roleplaying game than The Witcher, and having played both I'm at a loss as to how anyone could disagree.

Only if you list the 101 janky things in the Witcher 3 that break immersion lol.

Seriously, the only thing Witcher has over Fallout is the writing, and even then it's still totally inconsistent (Geralt doesn't want to let a single person die in a mission, but then casually murders tons of people in others) and both try to tell completely different kinds of stories. Both games have tons of glitches, both in graphics and gameplay, and both have mediocre controls, but even then Fallout 3 controls way better than Witcher. You can also actually see what people are saying in Fallout lol, and the world is much better designed in terms of atmosphere.

Hoo-doo

Banned

No hate here, I love that objects have physical shape and can be interacted with.

But it's the other 95% of Gamebryo garbage that ruins it. There have to be other engines that can support these kind of interactable objects the way Gamebryo does it, without the jank.

Lol at people lecturing to others how they shouldn't like Bethesda games for reasons x,y, and z. I'm loving the hell out of TW3 but expect no less from FO4 which I hope turns out to be the case.

It's this that irks me, you're well within the rights to think your graphics are shit, but the absolute answers are killing me.

"You are CRAZY if you think this will be a good game"

"There's no WAY these graphics are better than a game from 2007"

partyboy

I think that that's an unfair generalization (I've held to my roleplaying character in almost every circumstance - the immersion breaks come mostly from awfully written characters like Moira and Nathan and Dr Lazko and that fucking creep at Little Lamplight and AntAgonizer and The Mechanist etc and I'm hoping Bethesda might have learned a few lessons from Oblivion and from NV's reception over the years) and also a bit dismissive, but keep in mind that I don't even disagree with you RE: Fallout 3's quality. Like I said, you might as well check my post history if you wanna see someone really raking Fallout 3 over the coals, because I've shat on that game. Hard. <<< Fallout 1/2 fan over here. <<< That doesn't change or invalidate the point I'm trying to make - the moment to moment, minute to minute, hour to hour experience that modern Fallout games cultivate is wholly removed from Witcher 3's more directed and less personalized RPG experience. They are not directly comparable games, because they work to achieve very different things with their very different systems. I don't know why this is such a difficult thing to argue.
I disagree with you, because I think you're in the minority as far as how you're playing Fallout 3. For the average gamer, Fallout 3 and Witcher 3 are going to be lumped into the same group.

Please assist

Disgracefully, I have never tried the Fallout series. I don't get much time to game nowadays.

I want to get in to it, in anticipation for Fallout 4 (the hype is too real, can't avoid it...). I'll be trying either Fallout 3 or New Vegas, and I don't know which to pick. What would you recommend, and why?

Atmosphere is pretty important to me and I saw somebody saying that Fallout 3 was barren/dead compared to New Vegas. If true, is it considerable? Looking over the titles briefly it's daaaaaaaaaaaamn difficult to make a decision.

Also... How long does it generally take to be able to make threads here? I've been a member for a few months but noticed I'm unable to post a thread. Thanks.

EDIT: Thanks, Beelzebufo.

Don't want the negative nancies to totally take this over. Fallout 3 is an excellent game, as is New Vegas, and while many Fallout enthusiasts like New Vegas a lot more, the general audience either thinks they're equal or may prefer Fallout 3 more than NV.

I'm one of the rare birds where I liked Fallout 3 more than New Vegas, and here's why:
  • I think that that Capitol Wasteland was a more interesting place than the space of New Vegas. A major reason could be because I'm from the East Coast (though I've visited both DC and Vegas many times), but what I liked about the Capitol Wasteland in Fallout 3 was that there were more recognizable real world "things" that fit the Fallout universe well. I felt that New Vegas' world was really overhyped and poorly done. which leads me to...
  • The Vegas Strip in New Vegas is the worst conceived area of any game world in a major title that I've ever seen. What was described as this bustling metropolis "just like" the Vegas strip (even an old Vegas-type strip) is an empty region with 4 empty buildings and a bizarre, poorly designed slum surrounding it. If you watch the developer diaries about this region before hand it's even worse because the developers are outright lying in the videos -- "This looks *just like* Vegas with casinos packed with people at slot parlours" and shit like that. In reality, every casino is legitimately empty with maybe 3 or 4 randomly wandering NPCs in a room. This is obviously an engine limitation, but I felt like DC's sparse historical buildings fit this engine limitation better than what New Vegas was trying to do.
  • I like the history of DC more than the history of Vegas, and this works better, in my opinion, for a post-apocalyptic Fallout esque story. I felt it really fascinating when a faction would take over the Lincoln Memorial or the Smithsonian Natural History Museum or the Washington Monument. You do have a bit of that in New Vegas, but less so.

I also felt that New Vegas was a much more linear trajectory for mcuh of the first half of the game. It was open world that drove you in a specific path, not by invisible walls or anything, but very strong deadly creatures. That's fine and it's a good way to do it, but I felt that you were punished for exploring in NV especially for the first 20 hours, where as you were rewarded for it in Fallout 3, albeit it was still dangerous.

FO3 also had better DLC. If you do play FO3, definitely get the Broken Steel update. Skip Operation ANchorage until you beat the game it imbalances it. Some DLC like Point Lookout, IMO, was truly awesome.

I think most people like FO:NV because the choice & consequence is better than in Fallout 3, and I get that. I liked them both but really liked the world of the Capitol Wasteland moreso than the world of New Vegas. But I'm generally in the minority here wth that opinion, though it's a common opinion outside of enthusiast Fallout circles.

If you're going to play both of them (which you should and can do in the next 6 months), then I think you should play FO3 first and then NV.

*edit*

Here is the developer diary about NV and creating "the Strip" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7r2idnbfPc When I watched that I had so much hype. And then I played the game and was like "... are you... serious?" I had to rewatch the video to make sure I wasn't wrong. "The strip... the strip is just huge." I think it's 4 doors and a recurring NPC drunk/cracked out prostitute that approaches you and the same 4 dancing NPCs. "We want to make it big an huge with tons of people milling about and make it feel like I'm on the strip in real Las Vegas." I think maybe they cut off that quote where he must have said "unfortunately due to engine limitations we can't do that." But, nope, they left tthat quote in there. If you want to see the strip that is "big and huge with tons of people milling about and it feels just like the real strip in Las Vegas" here it is:

O4CYY8Em.png

4 buildings. 3 NPCs standing still. A door and loading screen in the middle of it. WELCOME TO VEGAS!

I disagree with you, because I think you're in the minority as far as how you're playing Fallout 3. For the average gamer, Fallout 3 and Witcher 3 are going to be lumped into the same group.
Nah dude, I disagree. Witcher 3 is more of a character action game, you don't even design the way your character looks.

partyboy

Only if you list the 101 janky things in the Witcher 3 that break immersion lol.

Seriously, the only thing Witcher has over Fallout is the writing, and even then it's still totally inconsistent (Geralt doesn't want to let a single person die in a mission, but then casually murders tons of people in others) and both try to tell completely different kinds of stories. Both games have tons of glitches, both in graphics and gameplay, and both have mediocre controls, but even then Fallout 3 controls way better than Witcher. You can also actually see what people are saying in Fallout lol, and the world is much better designed in terms of atmosphere.
lol

Swarming101

hahaha

Playing Fallout 3 normally is still very different from playing Witcher 3 normally and that's the point I've been trying to make this entire time. Players might lump them into the same 'group' because of their genre but that doesn't make direct comparisons valid, just as direct comparisons between Witcher 3 and games like Dragon's Dogma or Kingdoms of Alamur wouldn't necessarily hold up, especially when argued using surface level traits that don't address the meat of the games or their meaningful differences from one another. but it seems we've reached an impasse and as we're both pretty chill right now over this it's probably for the best that we just drop this and agree to disagree, lol

Don't want the negative nancies to totally take this over. Fallout 3 is an excellent game, as is New Vegas, and while many Fallout enthusiasts like New Vegas a lot more, the general audience either thinks they're equal or may prefer Fallout 3 more than NV.

I'm one of the rare birds where I liked Fallout 3 more than New Vegas, and here's why:
  • I think that that Capitol Wasteland was a more interesting place than the space of New Vegas. A major reason could be because I'm from the East Coast (though I've visited both DC and Vegas many times), but what I liked about the Capitol Wasteland in Fallout 3 was that there were more recognizable real world "things" that fit the Fallout universe well. I felt that New Vegas' world was really overhyped and poorly done. which leads me to...
  • The Vegas Strip in New Vegas is the worst conceived area of any game world in a major title that I've ever seen. What was described as this bustling metropolis "just like" the Vegas strip (even an old Vegas-type strip) is an empty region with 4 empty buildings and a bizarre, poorly designed slum surrounding it. If you watch the developer diaries about this region before hand it's even worse because the developers are outright lying in the videos -- "This looks *just like* Vegas with casinos packed with people at slot parlours" and shit like that. In reality, every casino is legitimately empty with mayb 3 or 4 randomly wandering NPCs in a room. This is obviously an engine limitation, but I felt like DC's sparse historical buildings fit this engine limitation better than what New Vegas was trying to do.
  • I like the history of DC more than the history of Vegas, and this works better, in my opinion, for a post-apocalyptic Fallout esque story. I felt it really fascinating when a faction would take over the Lincoln Memorial or the Smithsonian Natural History Museum or the Washington Monument. You do have a bit of that in New Vegas, but less so.

I also felt that New Vegas was a much more linear trajectory for mcuh of the first half of the game. It was open world that drove you in a specific path, not by invisible walls or anything, but very strong deadly creatures. That's fine and it's a good way to do it, but I felt that you were punished for exploring in NV especially for the first 20 hours, where as you were rewarded for it in Fallout 3, albeit it was still dangerous.

FO3 also had better DLC. If you do play FO3, definitely get the Broken Steel update. Skip Operation ANchorage until you beat the game it imbalances it. Some DLC like Point Lookout, IMO, was truly awesome.

I think most people like FO:NV because the choice & consequence is better than in Fallout 3, and I get that. I liked them both but really liked the world of the Capitol Wasteland moreso than the world of New Vegas. But I'm generally in the minority here wth that opinion, though it's a common opinion outside of enthusiast Fallout circles.

If you're going to play both of them (which you should and can do in the next 6 months), then I think you should play FO3 first and then NV.

I agree.

partyboy

No hate here, I love that objects have physical shape and can be interacted with.
I'm not saying it's not a good feature, but I've seen people use it to i) explain why Bethesda games are so ugly/janky, because it takes so much processing power to handle all those dynamic objects and ii) that it's one of the reasons Fallout 3 is more immersive than Witcher 3. I guess I just never felt that immersed just because I could put a pot on an NPC's head just so he could ignore it.

Chabbles

• The Vegas Strip in New Vegas is the worst conceived area of any game world in a major title that I've ever seen. What was described as this bustling metropolis "just like" the Vegas strip (even an old Vegas-type strip) is an empty region with 4 empty buildings and a bizarre, poorly designed slum surrounding it. If you watch the developer diaries about this region before hand it's even worse because the developers are outright lying in the videos -- "This looks *just like* Vegas with casinos packed with people at slot parlours" and shit like that. In reality, every casino is legitimately empty with mayb 3 or 4 randomly wandering NPCs in a room. This is obviously an engine limitation, but I felt like DC's sparse historical buildings fit this engine limitation better than what New Vegas was trying to do.

Well said.

partyboy

Playing Fallout 3 normally is still very different from playing Witcher 3 normally and that's the point I've been trying to make this entire time. Players might lump them into the same 'group' because of their genre but that doesn't make direct comparisons valid, just as direct comparisons between Witcher 3 and games like Dragon's Dogma or Kingdoms of Alamur wouldn't necessarily hold up, especially when argued using surface level traits that don't address the meat of the games or their meaningful differences from one another.

Open world that you explore with a character whose attributes you can customize, with weapons and armour to collect, and quests to play through. These are not surface level traits. And you are the first person I've seen in this thread say that Witcher 3 and Fallout 3 are too different to compare.

I don't wanna nitpick but I think that Fallout New Vegas had the best DLC of any game I've ever played short of Wipeout HD and Fallout 3's DLC largely doesn't hold a candle to it. Broken Steel and Point Lookout could compete with the best of NV's DLC, but the rest are arguably worse than even Honest Hearts.

Open world that you explore with a character whose attributes you can customize, with weapons and armour to collect, and quests to play through. These are not surface level traits. And you are the first person I've seen in this thread say that Witcher 3 and Fallout 3 are too different to compare.

There's context to consider when making those sorts of comparisons, and far as I can tell what you're doing right now is still boiling the games down to surface level depictions of these game's particular traits, without consideration for how their differences impact moment to moment gameplay and roleplaying possibilities within the context of those two worlds. Character attributes have very different impact and implications across the two games, and wildly different moment to moment relevance as well. Weapon and armor collection are very different and are engaged upon under differing contexts. Questlines and progression systems too are very different, though I'd be an ass if I didn't give The Witcher 3 the edge there regardless. but, tegardless of their perceived quality, these facts still stand, far as I'm concerned. I would and could never begin a playthrough of The Witcher 3 expecting anywhere near the same kind of roleplaying experience I'd get out of starting a Fallout 3 or New Vegas playthrough, for myriad reasons that should be considered.

Panda Rin

• The Vegas Strip in New Vegas is the worst conceived area of any game world in a major title that I've ever seen. What was described as this bustling metropolis "just like" the Vegas strip (even an old Vegas-type strip) is an empty region with 4 empty buildings and a bizarre, poorly designed slum surrounding it. If you watch the developer diaries about this region before hand it's even worse because the developers are outright lying in the videos -- "This looks *just like* Vegas with casinos packed with people at slot parlours" and shit like that. In reality, every casino is legitimately empty with maybe 3 or 4 randomly wandering NPCs in a room. This is obviously an engine limitation, but I felt like DC's sparse historical buildings fit this engine limitation better than what New Vegas was trying to do.

*edit*

Here is the developer diary about NV and creating "the Strip" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7r2idnbfPc When I watched that I had so much hype. And then I played the game and was like "... are you... serious?" I had to rewatch the video to make sure I wasn't wrong. "The strip... the strip is just huge." I think it's 4 doors and a recurring NPC drunk/cracked out prostitute that approaches you and the same 4 dancing NPCs.

My sentiments exactly. NV was a great game in its own right, but it never gave me the same feeling as FO3 did. The locales were much more interesting, and it felt much more dreary and post-apocalypticy

Give Obsidian FO3's setting? That would be interesting however.

I think it's easier for some to compare the two when they're both under the umbrella of AAA single player open world rpg, but it's obvious both games have much different design goals in terms of gameplay, world building, combat, and sense of player agency in the world. To me the tone changes drastically just due to third vs first person and the protagonist of W3 having such an integral role in the plot. In FO it feels a lot more you fill in the blanks as you're the "silent" protag that kind of feels more specter than active participant in the proceedings.

That said, W3 does story and world building superbly, but I wouldn't really compare it to FO as the two sit firmly in their own corners of the AAA rpg space design wise. Unless you wanna get reductionist and just discuss things like budget, graphics, and maps with markers and fast travel :p

Here dude I'll start it out for you
1. The game breaking glitch in the new patch
2. The glitch that crashed the game during Gwent
3. The moving slideshow effect when you move the camera quickly around the horizon
4. The way NPCs never stop cowering even when there's nothing around
5. The way enemies like Drowners will stand there doing nothing even while you're attacking them
6. The way Geralt moves (I'm assuming this is a glitch because the whole game is about feeling like you are Geralt, and those movement controls make you feel like you're an awkward laggy robot)

You'll have to fill in the rest, but that's a good start. They should really put "Takes good screenshots!" on the box because I swear that's all anyone cares about LOL

MattyG

Banned
Can you people stop please?

It's becoming pathetic.
Yeah, I feel like people are watching a different trailer from me. Do any of these people even remember what Skyrim looks like? How anyone can say that this isn't a big step up from that is beyond me. Is it The Witcher 3 at ultra level visuals? No. Is it "last gen" though? Fuck no.

Top Bottom