• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 Officially Revealed for PC, Xbox One, PS4 [Reddit Rumor = Ban]

Next place i would like to see Fallout is Orlando, Florida area. This is an area that is ripe for a Fallout game in many different ways.
That would be great! Mutant sea turtles

While i would love to find out how the rest of the world is doing in the Falloutverse it would require a deft touch to make another nations setting work. Fallout is tied heavily to 50s Americana. Its the main reason why the setting is unique. Probably the best way to do it is by taking the US locations closer and closer to the border of other countries so there can be an in-game contrast between say the Neverglade Wasteland and Cuba or the Mojave and the Sonoran,

Oooh, Cuba would be great considering the missile crisis was one of the closest times we got to actually living in Fallout's world. Chalk one more up for Florida!

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
What a shame all games are in the US...

While i would love to find out how the rest of the world is doing in the Falloutverse it would require a deft touch to make another nations setting work. Fallout is tied heavily to 50s Americana. Its the main reason why the setting is unique. Probably the best way to do it is by taking the US locations closer and closer to the border of other countries so there can be an in-game contrast between say the Neverglade Wasteland and Cuba or the Mojave and the Sonoran,

They should do Florida... Very point lookout vibes in the everglades with a Disney type theme park city...

But on topic and I have a dilemma with this game.
Fallout 3 (with the exception of mothership zeta) had fantastic dlc.

Bethesda always do great expansions and I am wondering if I should get at launch or wait for the game of the year edition... But don't want to wait for a year.

Really really long shot in the dark but anyone linked to the game know if there will be expansions planned and if there is will there be a season pass?

This is an AMAZING idea and I would buy any game that did that. Only for the theme park aspect. A good amaount of dungeons and missions on a postapocalyptic theme park resort? Sign me in!

What a shame all games are in the US...

Im european, but taking the 50's americana vibe to the game by putting it in another country would make the surrounding theming around Fallout more harm than good.

The scaling would be troublesome, but I still say San Diego/Tijuana would be great.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
The scaling would be troublesome, but I still say San Diego/Tijuana would be great.
If the scale was something like Fallen Earth it could easily be done. Would most likely need a completely new engine with the scope in mind though.

God, I can not wait for E3. Going to be huge this year, or so I hope. But yeah, can't wait to see some Fallout 4 gameplay.
im confident that we will see a trailer in the mold of all the other Bethesda published games (Fallout 3, New Vegas, Skyrim trailers all follow same beats) and once that happens the graphics "issues" will fall by the wayside. In hindsight im pretty sure Bethesda would have preferred to call this a teaser. Maybe theres not another trailer coming but i doubt it.

Kal_El

I was just watching some Fallout 3 and NV gameplay just wandering around the wasteland and my hype meters are through the roof. VATS + exploding heads will be glorious.

I wonder how many different weapons there will be. The selection is usually really high. I have no doubt that it'll be much higher this time.

They should do Florida... Very point lookout vibes in the everglades with a Disney type theme park city...

But on topic and I have a dilemma with this game.
Fallout 3 (with the exception of mothership zeta) had fantastic dlc.

Bethesda always do great expansions and I am wondering if I should get at launch or wait for the game of the year edition... But don't want to wait for a year.

Really really long shot in the dark but anyone linked to the game know if there will be expansions planned and if there is will there be a season pass?

With all of the invasive species currently in Florida, mutant versions wuld be awesome. Making the wildlife a bigger priority in regards to survival would be awesome.

draetenth

I want to play New Vegas, likely getting Ultimate Edition. What mods should I install?

You can try this. It's a step by step guide to installing mods and uses most (if not all) of the popular mods.

Is this you first time playing New Vegas? If so, I would really recommend you just stick to the bugfixes (like YUP's Unofficial Patch), a new UI (DarnUI or MTUI) and maybe the texture packs (like Vurt's floral overhaul, NMC's Texture Pack)

You can also find the mods on Nexus Mods (site is undergoing maintenance at the moment so I can't link it...).

Are you familiar with modding? The first link I gave you does explain it somewhat and has useful links like to Gopher's modding tutorials on Youtube.

robb_w7

Banned
CG1dP5UUkAADw-D.jpg

How times have changed

Ignorance is bliss

Johndoey

Banned
Way to be rude.

You have't even seen live gameplay to really make those assumptions. Relax there.
Should we expect animations to not be shit in the demo? Why, a launch trailer is them putting their best foot forward but the animation was still poor.

El_Chino

Should we expect animations to not be shit in the demo? Why, a launch trailer is them putting their best foot forward but the animation was still poor.

Open world RPGs in my experience have never had the best animations, so perhaps I've had my expectations in check.

Tigress

Wait, this thread was finally getting interesting and now we're back to arguing graphics *again*? Really? 100 something pages wasn't enough?

If you don't like the graphics, we get it by now. Now get over it and move on. It is what it is at this point. I doubt Bethesda is going to go and redo it all to make it that much better. Fallout was never a series known for it's good graphics anyway. And saying it looks the same as Fallout 3 is hyperbole and if you truly believe that, you either forgot what Fallout 3 looks like or played it modded so long you forgot what it looked like without mods. It looks better than 3 or Vegas and really, that is good enough. The graphics was never what made Fallout special (on any of the games). Hell, I'm pretty sure they were bitching about the graphics on 3 back when it was introduced.

Now, to actually start discussing something else, some one on reddit was saying they were not excited cause they figured they were going to use Skyrim's levelling system on the next Fallout. Weird thing to me is that while I liked Skyrim's levelling system and was fine with it in Skyrim, I really wouldn't like it in Fallout and would be very disappointed if they truly did that with the system. It just seems to me allotting the points to what your character is good at is kinda essential to the Fallout experience (vs. just trying to use a skill if you want it to improve).

So, anyone slightly disappointed the city doesn't looked 'ruined' enough? Like Washington D.C.

Yeah, I am of the Vegas > 3 camp but what I really liked about 3 was that really wasted feel. I'm a little wary that there seems to be a bigger town that seems more civilized this time around. yeah, it's been a long time, but I liked the whole humanity is just hanging on feel of Fallout and I'm willing to suspend disbelief that they still haven't managed to get sh** together even that far after the bombs hit to get that feeling.

ilium

Now, to actually start discussing something else, some one on reddit was saying they were not excited cause they figured they were going to use Skyrim's levelling system on the next Fallout. Weird thing to me is that while I liked Skyrim's levelling system and was fine with it in Skyrim, I really wouldn't like it in Fallout and would be very disappointed if they truly did that with the system. It just seems to me allotting the points to what your character is good at is kinda essential to the Fallout experience (vs. just trying to use a skill if you want it to improve).

I would be really bummed if this is true. Fallout without S.P.E.C.I.A.L is just not fallout to me anymore but rather... skyrim with guns.

Another thing I am personally really worried about is the potential exlusion of Hardcore Mode. HM made New Vegas so much more fun for me and I just can't go back to Regular anymore when playing Fallout.
But we haven't heard anything on that front yet so I remain optimistic.

Tigress

I would be really bummed if this is true. Fallout without S.P.E.C.I.A.L is just not fallout to me anymore but rather... skyrim with guns.

Another thing I am personally really worried about is the potential exlusion of Hardcore Mode. HM made New Vegas so much more fun for me and I just can't go back to Regular anymore when playing Fallout.
But we haven't heard anything on that front yet so I remain optimistic.

I would really love it if they put hardcore mode in. It almost feels like it is an essential must (and really it would be nice if they kept some other aspects of Vegas too to be honest and I'm not even talking writing/story/characterization cause I don't have hope for that).

But, I hate to say it but I'll be more pleasantly surprised if it is in 4 than expecting it :(.

I will say when I tried to play 3 again I was sorely missing hardcore mode.

ilium

I would really love it if they put hardcore mode in. It almost feels like it is an essential must (and really it would be nice if they kept some other aspects of Vegas too to be honest and I'm not even talking writing/story/characterization cause I don't have hope for that).

But, I hate to say it but I'll be more pleasantly surprised if it is in 4 than expecting it :(.

I will say when I tried to play 3 again I was sorely missing hardcore mode.

Yeah, it really seems essential to the Fallout experience to me as well.
I mean, I can understand if someone thinks it's just some tedious meter-filling nonsense, and wants to play without arbitrary restrictions.
But to me it's like the perfect gameplay mechanic that really drives home the feeling of post-apocalyptic wasteland. I would even extent it in some way or another and make supplies even more scarce. It forces you to make tough choices that fit with the setting.

"Sorry buddy, I'm a good guy at heart, trying to save the wasteland and stuff. But I'm kind of starving right now and your Gecko Steak there looks delicious.
Sooo...I'm going to kill you now and eat it. And maybe I'll eat you too.
Again, I'm really sorry, don't judge me please, just trying to survive."

Juxo

There is finite processing power available. The graphics may not be the cutting edge some people want, but the power is probably used to flesh out the world more. Possibly bigger/more locations with bigger/more enemies to deal with.

People loved previous games even though they weren't the prettiest things ever created. The experience is what matters, not graphical fidelity.
Personally, I can't wait to play this game for several hundred hours.

It seems to me that people's expectations won't realistically be met until we get the PS6.

Jarate

Banned
If worse graphics means we get cities larger then like 8 houses, then I'm all for downgrading the game.

I think the main thing is that the animations are probably going to be god awful again, but I didn't expect that to change

rjinaz

There is finite processing power available. The graphics may not be the cutting edge some people want, but the power is probably used to flesh out the world more. Possibly bigger/more locations with bigger/more enemies to deal with.

People loved previous games even though they weren't the prettiest things ever created. The experience is what matters, not graphical fidelity.
Personally, I can't wait to play this game for several hundred hours.

It seems to me that people's expectations won't realistically be met until we get the PS6.

Not even then. You'll notice that many of the people upset with the graphics are pc gamers. It's unlikely even the ps6 will be matching what pcs do at the time of its release. So to pc gamers most of what comes out on consoles will look like crap comparatively to what they are used to. Basically, it will never end until consoles die off or change in some drastic fashion.

I think what Bethesda needs to show us is that the game plays well and that it improves over previous titles. It's never really been graphics versus gameplay - that is a false dichotomy. Developers don't go into development with that in mind. Yes, you might not be able to implement advanced physics and still have top notch graphics but the entirety of the matter isn't so clean cut. At any rate, just wow us with what we can do in game enough that people don't care how ugly it is or isn't. Fail to do that and suddenly the graphics will matter far more than expected.

draetenth

So, anyone slightly disappointed the city doesn't looked 'ruined' enough? Like Washington D.C.

I don't think we have any idea where the bombs were dropped. At least, looking at the Great War on the Fallout Wiki.

The great war is a pretty interesting read (has the accuracy been verified?): we don't know who fired first, it lasted roughly 2 hours, we don't know the extent of the damage (some cities like Washington D.C. weren't totally destroyed because apparently the bombs were low yield or something), and New Vegas was spared thanks to Mr. House's quick thinking (he knew the war was coming so he had point-defense laser canons on the top of buildings and when the missiles were coming he used computers to brute force them with disarm codes).

For all we know, Boston could be like New Vegas - someone knew what was coming and set up the proper defenses or it wasn't targeted or something. We can only speculate until the game comes out.

MattyG

Banned
I don't think we have any idea where the bombs were dropped. At least, looking at the Great War on the Fallout Wiki.

The great war is a pretty interesting read (has the accuracy been verified?): we don't know who fired first, it lasted roughly 2 hours, we don't know the extent of the damage (some cities like Washington D.C. weren't totally destroyed because apparently the bombs were low yield or something), and New Vegas was spared thanks to Mr. House's quick thinking (he knew the war was coming so he had point-defense laser canons on the top of buildings and when the missiles were coming he used computers to brute force them with disarm codes).

For all we know, Boston could be like New Vegas - someone knew what was coming and set up the proper defenses or it wasn't targeted or something. We can only speculate until the game comes out.
They did have MIT/The Institute after all, so it's not too far fetched to think that a defense system had been developed there. That could also account for their advanced state of recovery.

It appears, at first blush, that Boston is recovering from the war and beginning to rebuild itself.

Top Bottom