• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 Officially Revealed for PC, Xbox One, PS4 [Reddit Rumor = Ban]

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
So am i the only one who thought that this trailer looks like a trailer for fallout 3?

Like..there aren't a whole lot of differences really, maybe the trailer just didnt show what changes they have made, if any

Yes, There are a whole lot of differences. Geometry is way better, buildings have a lot more detail, not to mention the fact that they are open no by all accounts which is pretty big for the series. Draw distance and LOD looks a lot better. It's pretty clearly a next gen game. Maybe not a huge graphical showcase, but it still looks good and big improvement over FO3/NV.

DOWN

Banned
What immediately stood out to me in the trailer is that none of the items in the game cast any shadows. It looks awful. The texturing is offensively low res. It's hilariously ugly compared to Witcher 3.

Posts a picture of a non-vanilla game with even lower res grass casting absolutely no shadows

MattyG

Banned
So am i the only one who thought that this trailer looks like a trailer for fallout 3?

Like..there aren't a whole lot of differences really, maybe the trailer just didnt show what changes they have made, if any
You've obviously forgotten what Fallout 3 looks like.

Posts a picture of a non-vanilla game with even lower res grass casting absolutely no shadows
lol

I'll be so glad when everyone stops fellating The Witcher 3. Yes it's a pretty game, but it's also a completely different game from Fallout 4.

In terms of graphics? No, not at all. But I did wonder if they were sticking with Washington DC because a lot of the locales reminded me of the Capital Wasteland.

Fjordson

Well it's a blown out wasteland so that limits variety somewhat, but I think this looks different. Especially with the colors.

I think the biggest area that'll look different is interiors and like cities / towns.

MattyG

Banned
Who thinks it'll release this year? Personally, I'm betting on '16. Gotta build dat hype machine, I recon.
They don't need to build the hype machine. 18million+ trailer views in one week on only the official youtube channel? Those are Call of Duty numbers. The thirst is real, they can release it whenever they please and it will do crazy well.

So yeah, I definitely think it's a 2015 title.

rjinaz

Who thinks it'll release this year? Personally, I'm betting on '16. Gotta build dat hype machine, I recon.

All signs point to this year. Early marketing deals, 2015 TBA was on the Bethesda website. Retailers are firmly claiming 2015. It's already had 4 years developement. I say it's ready, Oct or Nov.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Sure, it looks exactly like FO3:

SPR8ozb.jpg

IqbyIlM.jpg

Sf6X1w5.jpg

qVg13V2.jpg

cJxRvuo.jpg

rYdKF2M.jpg

gF3WP0T.jpg

eKS4DLG.jpg

Oi2Vjr0.jpg

XTXAgKs.jpg

MTYqVZv.jpg

ky4RDUj.jpg

PEVEtws.jpg

7CO1yRN.jpg

ZzGpldI.jpg

EZ2LyIV.jpg

People are upset when trailers represent OMG graphics that games don't meet in the end.

People are upset when trailers represent the current state of graphics for games under development.

People People...come on.

Akronis

People are upset when trailers represent OMG graphics that games don't meet in the end.

People are upset when trailers represent the current state of graphics for games under development.

People People...come on.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Just ignore those people, they just need something to complain about.

Temporal Mess

Neo Member
Loving the new lighting. Imo, the lighting was always Fallout 3's biggest flaw and it wasn't much better in NV. Everything in FO3 was a gross murky vomit colour.

Any confirmation on whether or not they're using the same engine they used for Skyrim?

DOWN

Banned
Loving the new lighting. Imo, the lighting was always Fallout 3's biggest flaw and it wasn't much better in NV. Everything in FO3 was a gross murky vomit colour.

Any confirmation on whether or not they're using the same engine they used for Skyrim?

It's been the same engine for over a decade sweetie

DOWN

Banned
Iirc, Creation has a bit of Gamebryo (FO3, NV and Oblivion's engine) in it, but Bethesda at least consider it a different engine.

It's basically Gamebryo with smaller parts being rewritten. Creation is just the branding. No different than when Frostbite 2 jumped to Frostbite 3. It doesn't mean anything. Just that they feel they updated enough to rebrand, but it is still the same engine especially with how blatant the characteristics of Gamebryo are.

Temporal Mess

Neo Member
And if it's been changed enough to warrant rebranding then it can still be considered a different engine if you choose. Although, as far as I know Bethesda hasn't licensed Creation out yet, so maybe the changes really that major anyway.

Anyway, I've updated the wording of my question:

Does anybody know if they'll be using the particular edit of Gamebryo that they used for Skyrim (with minor updates made to take advantage of current gen consoles and new PCs) or will they be using a different edit of Gamebryo created for this game with, or are they using a completely different non-Gamebryo-based engine that wont share the same console and commonplace bugs as the last four games Bethesda released?

tl;dr - Will the word Creation or Gamebryo appear in the credits. Or will a completely different word not related to either one appear in the credits? Which was actually what I was wondering to begin with.

It's always nice to know when to expect deathclaws to fall out the sky.A

jesu

And if it's been changed enough to warrant rebranding then it can still be considered a different engine if you choose. Although, as far as I know Bethesda hasn't licensed Creation out yet, so maybe the changes really that major anyway.

Anyway, I've updated the wording of my question:

Does anybody know if they'll be using the particular edit of Gamebryo that they used for Skyrim (with minor updates made to take advantage of current gen consoles and new PCs) or will they be using a different edit of Gamebryo created for this game with, or are they using a completely different non-Gamebryo-based engine that wont share the same console and commonplace bugs as the last four games Bethesda released?

tl;dr - Will the word Creation or Gamebryo appear in the credits. Or will a completely different word not related to either one appear in the credits? Which was actually what I was wondering to begin with.

It's always nice to know when to expect deathclaws to fall out the sky.A

I assume they will use the Gambryo renderer as usual.
Physics and what not will be the version of the engine they wrote themselves.

Temporal Mess

Neo Member
Ah, so I can (maybe) still expect Deathclaws falling from the sky.

It's my favorite bug and I have a tally of how many games Bethesda has released that still have it. If they're still using Creation/Gamebryo/Whatever, there's a (high) chance that they still wont have gotten rid of it. :D

DOWN

Banned
Ah, so I can (maybe) still expect Deathclaws falling from the sky.

It's my favorite bug and I have a tally of how many games Bethesda has released that still have it. If they're still using Creation/Gamebryo/Whatever, there's a (high) chance that they still wont have gotten rid of it. :D

If you want to follow branding, it will be Creation or an update of it, which is an update of Gamebryo itself. Who knows what branding they'll call it, but everyone will recognize the engine as we already have from the trailer.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I really can't wait to see some gameplay. I hope they buffed up VATS a ton and made shooting legs and arms and groins more viable and useful with different weapon types and enemy types. It would be nice if you saw an enemy with different armor types, even of the same armor, that cover different body parts actually affected damage. Tribals who wear big shoulder pads but no real torso coverage would be more vulnerable there. And tribals who wear big giant metal cod pieces would finally have a reason to do so other than looking badass.

Bossofman

Neo Member
Graphics don't look good, they look really bad for a 2015 game.

That being said it's not why you purchase the game, but they haven't revealed any features or shown off gameplay and I'm seeing "DAY ONE OMG YES" posts? Some of you would pay $60 just for the box it seems. I don't get GAF sometimes.

It's called a Pedigree, Bethesda is a proven performer. No worries

Jobbs

Banned
Graphics don't look good, they look really bad for a 2015 game.

That being said it's not why you purchase the game, but they haven't revealed any features or shown off gameplay and I'm seeing "DAY ONE OMG YES" posts? Some of you would pay $60 just for the box it seems. I don't get GAF sometimes.

They look totally fine to me. I am looking forward to this game more than just about anything else, and based on track record I know I'll have a better time, more fun, than just about any other game.

You enjoy a Bethesda game for its scale. The graphics aren't cutting edge, but, again, I really do think they look fine. I see a real noticable improvement from the last game -- And now we've got clearly better lighting and much more bold use of color.

Tigress

I think there was only Jury Rigging which let you repair somewhat like weapons with one another. Like all Bolt/Lever Action Rifles with one another or all one handed guns with one another. Which was useful, but nothing like being able to use all the random misc items you found around the world to repair guns which a mod let you do. Stuff like duct tape, scrap, crutches, hides and so on and not just for weapons but also armors. There was also Junk Rounds which let you use tin cans and scrap to make ammo, but that was kind of pointless.

I dunno, that would kinda ruin the whole point of having to fix your equipment if you could just use anything you found lying around the area (especially as there is always junk everywhere).

I kinda liked having to keep spare guns around for repair to make sure I could keep my equipment working.

If S.P.E.C.I.A.L is in Fallout 4 again (which it probably will be) I hope they find out how to balance out all the stats so there aren't any useless ones. In fallout NV you could put 1 in perception since having ED-E gave you 10 (unless you wanted the better critical perk) and 1 in charisma since that's useless, and put your points in everything else.

I would never put a 1 in charisma. I liked being able to talk my way outta things. I really don't see Charisma as being unimportant honestly, especially for how I wanted to play (I liked finding peaceful solutions unless one side was just obviously needed to die).

It's called a Pedigree, Bethesda is a proven performer. No worries

Exactly. It's also called I can always change my mind if they do announce something that is a deal breaker. But I have absolutely no reason to believe I'm not going to enjoy this Fallout. And I know it's going to have to be some drastic change that would make me not buy it. Something that it would shock me Bethesda was so stupid because they should know it was a deal breaker for people who like Fallout (like insisting you play one set character. Even then I'd be torn on whether to get over it and play anyways but it would upset me enough I'd have to think about it).

Also, the graphics are good enough. And I'll even admit even if they looked like Fallout 3 and New Vegas, I'd still play the game. Graphics aren't why I loved the game and they were even good enough then. All I really want out of a new Fallout is more places to explore, more quests to do, new stories even if they'll be mediocre, new NPCs to talk to, new dialogue to have, more exploration. Everything else is just gravy :).

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I dunno, that would kinda ruin the whole point of having to fix your equipment if you could just use anything you found lying around the area (especially as there is always junk everywhere).

I kinda liked having to keep spare guns around for repair to make sure I could keep my equipment working.

That's why I later posted they should balance it by making it so equipment and weapons repaired with junk would have reduced DT and DMG as well as resale value compared to ones repaired by merchants and with quality like materials. So while you could repair your stuff in a pinch out in the wastes it would still be worthwhile to use quality materials and employ merchants to repair your stuff to top quality. Unless you got a perk, later in the game that is, like Jury Rigging which removed such penalties for using junk items.

Top Bottom