• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 PC Ultra screenshots

dh4niel

If that's ultra then there's definitely a problem.

Graphics are amazing considering the world is huge and doesn't have a lot of loading screens. To the people complaining the graphics aren't 4k resolution top tier AAA graphics, I don't think they're factoring this in

That doesn't stop GTA V but I guess that had a bigger budget and development time. :/

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'm not seeing a big difference from the screens posted in the previous thread. And that dog still looks far less impressive then the wolf in MGSV.

Santiako

DRqtUHx.png
Just like Uncharted 3!

Kazuhira

Awesome! I'm ready for this bad boy.
My only complaint is that i prefer the hud from fo3 and nv,the new one looks too simple,it's just a green bar :(
I hope some kind soul can mod it.

boswell22

Graphics are amazing considering the world is huge and doesn't have a lot of loading screens. To the people complaining the graphics aren't 4k resolution top tier AAA graphics, I don't think they're factoring this in

But we have games with open worlds with few loading screens that have far superior graphics. These graphics can in no way be considered amazing even taking in to consideration the scope of the game.

Syntsui

I like how it doesn't have that vomit filter from Fallout 3 or the shit filter from New Vegas. I'm excited to play this when I get my PS4.

Doc_Drop

Looks good compared to vanilla Fallout 3 and New Vegas. I am so ready for next week. I don't know what most people are expecting, I'm a big fan and I knew it wasn't going to be a technical marvel in it's visuals.

RevenWolf

But we have games with open worlds with few loading screens that have far superior graphics. These graphics can in no way be considered amazing even taking in to consideration the scope of the game.

Apples to oranges, in that literally every item in this game is a physics based object and will stay whee you leave it forever.

I know a lot of people don't even care for that but it still probably doesn't scale well at all. Compare to Gta where you could have 15 wrecked cars which will all disapear once you reach a certain distance and head back.

The fact is that this feature is something me and many others love about the games, but whenever someone complains about graphics this feature is literally the first thing they forget and make imperfect comparisons as a result.

It doesn't look like witcher or Gta, but if it did and still had this system no one but really high end systems would be able to run it I suspect.

lazygecko

Why can modders create great high resolution textures but Bethesda can't?

Modders can create higher resolution textures but they seldom ever retain the same visual and artistic coherence. They also tend to go complete overkill on the "sharper = better" and "more cluttered looking normals = better" mindsets.

I expect the first batch of texture mods to just be the original textures upscaled, sharpened and with some noisy detail overlay thrown on top of them.

ISee

Okay, this is quite ugly actually.

Yeah wtf is that lol, console version? it never looked that bad for me.

Nope, PC Ultra (w/o Hairworks, and foliage range = high, fxaa).
But this is the point. everything can look like shit if you take a screenshot in the wrong moment. Or it can look 'good'.

boswell22

Apples to oranges, in that literally every item in this game is a physics based object and will stay whee you leave it forever.

I know a lot of people don't even care for that but it still probably doesn't scale well at all. Compare to Gta where you could have 15 wrecked cars which will all disapear once you reach a certain distance and head back.

The fact is that this feature is something me and many others love about the games, but whenever someone complains about graphics this feature is literally the first thing they forget and make imperfect comparisons as a result.

It doesn't look like witcher or Gta, but if it did and still had this system no one but really high end systems would be able to run it I suspect.

Fair point.

I just find it odd that people say this looks OK but modders will make it look amazing. If the modders can do it why can't Bethesda and why do people accept this from a AAA game developer? (I know this last point has little to do with the quoted post.)

I can understand why people would be willing to give some benefit of the doubt to Bethesda (I enjoy their games) but if this was Ubisoft or EA I feel the reaction would be very different.

valkyre

But this is the point. everything can look like shit if you take a screenshot in the wrong moment. Or it can look 'good'.

Yes, I agree with your point, but you see, I get the feeling I have to try quite a lot to get a decent shot of Fallout 4, while I have to try quite a bit to get a dull image of W3...

EDIT: can someone re post the -now not working- Fallout 4 images a few posts above?

Aurongel

The Witcher 3 is also 3rd person so you're never really viewing many of those textures up close. The Witcher may look damn good but to be fair it had some issues with LOD pop.

Cleve

It looks about how I expect. At least the draw distance/lod on pc is better.

Do people have selective memories or are they pretending skyrim with mods now that use 8gb of texture memory is how it looked at launch. Bethesda games are ugly. They always have been. They've also been some of the best worlds to explore out there so people forgive that and maybe let their imaginations fill in the gaps when they think back on them.

RK9039

That's true, but like Valkyre said you pretty much have to be after the terrible shots for the W3, probably while in motion, whereas Fallout 4 looks average at best, at least for now, even when there's not a lot going on.

valkyre

You can do that with every game tbh,even W3 has its fair share of shitty textures.

It does, but just look at the geometry as well, look at the low poly characters. There is an ocean of difference here. Its not the gameplay perspective that makes Fallout 4 look like this.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Wut? Come on don't tell me you never keep the jumpsuit in your inventory because it's special? (Emotional attachment) I'm not the only surely.

I always seem to hang onto it, and was always looking for jumpsuits that I could use for repair. I also carried arround some nice businesswear for Serious Business

I wish we could go back to that Witcher 3 pre-release thread. That was some top GAFfing.

Indeed, that was GAF operating under optimum conditions. Still, we have seven days until this title drops. Who knows what could happen next?

ISee

Yes, I agree with your point, but you see, I get the feeling I have to try quite a lot to get a decent shot of Fallout 4, while I have to try quite a bit to get a dull image of W3...

I absolutely agree. FO4 isn't a stunning looking game. I put it in the 'okaisch' category and I do not expect it to astonish me (like Witcher 3 did sometimes, hell I even have to admit that AC:Unity looked fantastic, sometimes). But the amount of nitpicking is over the top from time to time. Especially when it comes to close up shoots or foliage, grass or bush detail.

valkyre

It looks about how I expect. At least the draw distance/lod on pc is better.

Do people have selective memories or are they pretending skyrim with mods now that use 8gb of texture memory is how it looked at launch. Bethesda games are ugly. They always have been. They've also been some of the best worlds to explore out there so people forgive that and maybe let their imaginations fill in the gaps when they think back on them.

Skyrim was an amazing looking game when it was released. I dont know how you can compare Fallout 4 with Skyrim on that department.

Or Witcher 3.
Up close nearly everything looks like garbage.

(But granted this is an extremely ugly screenshot, lol)

It think it's different, because Bethesda games are first person games, and there are lots of interiors, so the designers and artists know you are going to be up close to objects and textures.
So the W3 is kind of "cheating", usually you can get that close to a grass object, while it's the most normal thing in the world in Fallout.

Gurish

I don't think there's a lot of those people besides those who only saw the compressed leak footage or the first round of screenshots beforehand. I noticed that in the PC shots, the bloom effect isn't pixelated at all, but that's about the only lighting improvement I've observed besides the LOD enhancements, I suppose. Like I said earlier, there's not a lot here to use for making meaningful direct comparisons. At any rate, those 'mandatory PC improvements' go a long way, and the game's pre-release Ultra preset is only the tip of the iceberg. There's Gameworks to consider, as well as downsampling, ini tweaks, ambient occlusion, etc. etc.

Listen, I'm only talking about the pics in this thread and how some people reacted to it ("eating crows" and such) like it suddenly looks amazing, I know that with mods, down-sampling, Nvidia effects and such it might look really good and be a significant jump over previous showings, but these pics in particular just aren't really impressive to my eye, and besides some mandatory improvements, are not really a big jump over the PNG PS4's screens.

Top Bottom