• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout: New Vegas gameplay trailer

Enk

makes good threads.
Seems E3 is starting early for us this year. :D

Very much looking forward to this one. Seems to have a lot more variety that the original Fallout 3.

I love how they (*cough*) up'd the ante on destroying Megaton by letting you blow up Vegas!

What's up with the capital wasteland bot I've only received the impression that there was very little connection with Fallout 3 - why do they tease us so?

Rollo Larson said:
i played fallout 3 non stop for a year and a half. if this is more of the same, i'm going to be disappointed.

I had the same experience and I'd pretty much give my left nut for more of the same.

Lucky for you it clearly isn't going to be given the changes that Obsidian have implemented.

Wag

witness said:
Looks uglier than I remember Fallout 3 looking.
It's the same engine, how does it look "uglier"? :/

I'm happy with more of the same. I really enjoyed the first and only got one expansion so as not to overdo it. Looking forward to this.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
New Vegas sure had a lot of empty streets. Gah, that kinda sucks. I was hoping for the bustling new city they were talking about. :\

Saint10118 said:
I love how they (*cough*) up'd the ante on destroying Megaton by letting you blow up Vegas!

What's up with the capital wasteland bot I've only received the impression that there was very little connection with Fallout 3 - why do they tease us so?

if you look closely though, it looks like hes just detonating a buncha mines and a mini nuke, so maybe its not like a scripted nuke, just setup mines etc for a cool splosions!

also good to see the nightkin have the new faces too!

Preorder'd my CE, will pay it off in October, then plan on taking my vacation so I can play it!

If it's anything like Fallout 3, I will get a good $1,000 worth of playtime out of it.

Dark Stalkers said:
Was that ram from earlier fallout games?

nope, neither were the....rattlesnakelions :lol

i wish it had a better engine, but with the revamping of special, dialogue system, skill checks on all skills in dialogue, npc wheel, and making the whole new game world/quests/npcs/etc I guess they just didn't have much time in the 16 months to redo the renderer much. At least we got better iron sites, and mutie faces.

mr.beers

Will New Vegas be comparable to Fallout 3 in terms of content or is this just a big expansion pack? I played through all of FO3 and expansions and I am eager to play more.

mr.beers said:
Will New Vegas be comparable to Fallout 3 in terms of content or is this just a big expansion pack? I played through all of FO3 and expansions and I am eager to play more.

They haven't said if there will be expansions but I suppose it depends on how well NV sells.

JudgeN

Looks like they may have fixed one of the main problems with FO3, ENEMY VARIETY!!

Combat still looks boring, but I can deal with it.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.

Wallach

FO3 owns my face, and this is finally another chance for Avellone and some of the other guys to get another whack at fallout. Day -1, let's do this.

mr.beers

LovingSteam said:
They haven't said if there will be expansions but I suppose it depends on how well NV sells.

That is not what I meant but I suppose you answered my question anyways. What I should have asked was, "Is New Vegas a full length game or just an expansion of FO3?"

Well that is more Fallout....I thought it looked rather bland until the scenes in Vegas appeared. Could be cool, just not sure if want...more Fallout.

Classic_Gs said:
Well that is more Fallout....I thought it looked rather bland until the scenes in Vegas appeared. Could be cool, just not sure if want...more Fallout.

blah 1 fallout game in 10 years isnt enough I WANT 2!

HYPE.

i was real down on this after those first screens came out, but the shading/lighting looks much improved in this trailer; looking great.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Dark Stalkers said:
Was that ram from earlier fallout games?
i guess bighorn sheep got really big from the radiation :lol Beautiful but very ill-tempered creatures.

edit: Really looking forward to this. The trailer doesnt show what Obsidian is good at but its nice to see lots of variety in locations (color zomg!) and enemies.

Pooya

Fallout 3 + some quality writing/characters should be awesome, hell I enjoyed Alpha Protocol for what it was, day 1 for me.

squicken

I loved FO3, and that looks like an expansion pack. It was exactly what I thought it would be.

I too noticed the lack of people. In the Capital Wasteland it made sense b/c of the super-mutants. But I thought Vegas was supposedly left intact?

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
The engine is showing it's age but it still looks decent in places and it's nice to see some colour. Gameplay is king though and I loved Fallout 3 so I'm no worried about that in the slightest.

markot

Banned
Its only teh character models that let it down >.<

But its still a good looking game, plus the whole environment/setting looks awesome.

Looks cool. Fallout 3 is still my game of this generation, so no question this is a day 1 for me. Hope Obsidian doesn't drop the ball like they did with Alpha Protocol.

jabipun

Visually it looks the same as Fallout 3.

Regardless, I hope they improve the FPS mechanics. And stop with the whole random missing bullshit. VATs started to bore the fuck out of me 30 hours in. I just started to use real-time combat after that point.

markot

Banned
jabipun said:
Visually it looks the same as Fallout 3.

Regardless, I hope they improve the FPS mechanics. And stop with the whole random missing bullshit. VATs started to bore the fuck out of me 30 hours in. I just started to use real-time combat after that point.
No >_<

jabipun

markot said:

Oh god you're one of those "purists."

Look, VATs was dumb - mostly because of it's poor execution. 99% of the time you just brought it up and aimed for the face and then waited for the animations to play out.

You can leave VATs in for you "purists" who have this self-delusion that VATs adds strategy, but improve the first-person-shooter mechanics for everyone else.

And when you consider how many Xbox 360 owners bought and enjoyed Fallout 3 because they viewed it as a FPS + meets open word, this is something Obsedian should take into consideration. And it seems that they have considering all the combat in the trailer was real-time and they are implementing iron-sights.

jabipun said:
You can leave VATs in for you "purists" who have this self-delusion that VATs adds strategy, but improve the first-person-shooter mechanics for everyone else.

Is this not exactly what they are doing?

Wallach

VATS serves plenty of purpose. Nobody cares that it makes you pissy. The real-time combat does need improved, which is why they're improving it.

Top Bottom