• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout seems like the kind of game where you should only be male

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think OP is way over thinking his character creation decisions, or maybe not thinking enough. But certainly one of the two.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
I never really considered it before, but now that I have, I would have to say that I disagree with OP, that's a crazy idea. I can't imagine this thread will turn out well....

Warewolf

That sounds like a better reason to play as a woman than a man.

tumblr_m0erd6Kulh1r9rem3o1_500.gif

Skele7on

Banned
The way I see it is that in a post apocalyptic world, a lot of women would probably be better able to survive than me.

This makes me think I should join a gym or do something active, then I think fuck it and just carry on playing Wild Star.

Hewl-Tanky.jpg

Silly sexist OP.

redcrayon

Usually if I have a choice I play female in most games.

However with Fallout 3 / New Vegas I feel compelled to go as male.

Because since its a post apocalyptic world doesn't it seem like men would have a better chance of surviving?

You have probably seen in post apocalyptic movies where the women get treated like shit. Abused, used for sex and living in conditions less great then men.

Men just seem to be the dominant sex in this kind of hellish environment.
Seeing as 99% of both men and women have been wiped out, I don't see any reason why female PCs aren't reasonable or would have a lower chance of survival. Being male certainly didn't help the vast majority of the male population from getting nuked, eaten by super mutants or radscorpions, dragged off into slavery etc, and being a little stronger, on average, isn't much use when fighting off deathclaws or power-armoured soldiers that are 500+% stronger than both sexes anyway. Speaking of which, the remnants of technology lying around do a lot to even the odds. I'd rather be a female vault-dweller with a machine gun, pip-boy and power armour than a male bandit!

Besides, In RPGs, it's often assumed that the PC is an exceptional individual in terms of ability, or at least in terms of potential. It's a fantasy world, just as much as post-apocalyptic films are.

I'm sure post apo won't be pretty for women (slavery, rape) and others raiders things like murder and torture but it won't be harder for women to survive than for men. A loner will be killed the same way, being a man or a women out there. A badass loner would survive more, man or woman alike. OP is purely saying this based on what ? Men are stronger and more capable for post apo survival than women ? And why that ?

SigSig

Post apocalyptic anarchy might be sexist bullshit you know.

A game portraying a sexist society and the possibility to play a female character don't exactly rule each other out.
Suggesting that there shouldn't be a female protagonist is sexist bullshit, tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom