• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout TV Show hits 80 million viewers

Good for Amazon.

Not so good for MS and Bethesda, missed opportunity not releasing a new Fallout to go with the TV show.
I don't think casual viewers would be jumping to buy a $70 game. I think having the old games get noticed is really hard to pull off and is maybe even better. Fallout 76 and Fallout 4 exploded because they were cheap and available everywhere. They probably wish they'd have a new game in the next 2 years though for sure, but might not be able to.

StueyDuck

Banned
I was surprised to see, at least in the heli scenes, they used some form of the volume. Probably the best use of it yet, considering I didn't notice it and usually you can always tell the use of it.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It's good for them. They will focus more on their big IPs now.
Yeah hopefully Bethesda focus on ES and Fallout and forget about weird experiments like Starfield for years to come. Stick to what works.

In no world is this "not so good" for MS and Bethesda. The IP is stronger than ever, now, and have you seen Fallout 4 sales?
"Not so good" as in "it could be better". Fallout 4 is sold for pennies nowadays, at least on PC. They could have made a lot more of money.

Although maybe Punished Miku Punished Miku is right, and it's wiser to offer a cheap way to get into the Fallout games that isn't a brand new, 70$ game (that would probably be full of bugs on release anyway because it's Bethesda)

Yeah hopefully Bethesda focus on ES and Fallout and forget about weird experiments like Starfield for years to come. Stick to what works.

"Not so good" as in "it could be better". Fallout 4 is sold for pennies nowadays, at least on PC. They could have made a lot more of money.

Although maybe Punished Miku Punished Miku is right, and it's wiser to offer a cheap way to get into the Fallout games that isn't a brand new, 70$ game (that would probably be full of bugs on release anyway because it's Bethesda)
Having the Fallout 4 update ready and working properly would have been better. Also, Season 2 will likely be even bigger because of word of mouth. That's when they REALLY need something big ready. Of course a new game won't be ready, but a Fallout 3 remaster in time for Season 2 (especially if already in development) could be huge. Fallout will be number 2 after Call of Duty for Microsoft now.

I ran across a jar of bottlecaps while playing Kona 2 and thought about Fallout.
I need to subscribe to Prime. I think it's less than 20 bucks a month.

Del_X

Good for Amazon.

Not so good for MS and Bethesda, missed opportunity not releasing a new Fallout to go with the TV show.

Yeah it's not like it's going to get 3-5 seasons over 6-9 years.

Game should be a follow-up in the timeline from the show. There's plenty of time.

Buggy Loop

Yeah hopefully Bethesda focus on ES and Fallout

No Way Mac GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Rip Fallout's franchise from Bethesda's hands

Their writing was never good but Starfield showcased that the current writing is dogshit.

The 3 founders of Troika (Fallout 1 & 2) Tim Cain, Leonard Boyarsky are now at Obsidian, and Jason Anderson is at inXile.

The key peoples of New vegas, Josh Sawyer (director, lead designer, system designer), Scott Everts (world building lead), Charlie Staples (Area lead design lead, lead level designer) are still at Obsidian, and likely of course many other in the lower hierarchy. There last two guys especially who managed to make a desert interesting.

Obsidian can still write. PoE 1 & 2, Pentiment, Tyranny, they have more hits than misses (Outer worlds).

Bethesda cannot write even if their life depended on it.

Microsoft has all of them Bethesda, InXile, Obsidian. They have the opportunity to make something epic with those peoples.

Last edited:
One friend worked on S1, he told me S2 is miles away sadly
Plenty of time to get something ready for it, then. It's going to be a priority for Microsoft. Fallout 3 Remaster, Fallout 76 major update, and maybe a new game announcement hitting right around Season 2 is what I'm guessing. New Vegas remaster or sequel makes sense too of course.

Last edited:

fatmarco

No Way Mac GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Rip Fallout's franchise from Bethesda's hands

Their writing was never good but Starfield showcased that the current writing is dogshit.

The 3 founders of Troika (Fallout 1 & 2) Tim Cain, Leonard Boyarsky are now at Obsidian, and Jason Anderson is at inXile.

The key peoples of New vegas, Josh Sawyer (director, lead designer, system designer), Scott Everts (world building lead), Charlie Staples (Area lead design lead, lead level designer) are still at Obsidian, and likely of course many other in the lower hierarchy. There last two guys especially who managed to make a desert interesting.

Obsidian can still write. PoE 1 & 2, Pentiment, Tyranny, they have more hits than misses (Outer worlds).

Bethesda cannot write even if their life depended on it.

Microsoft has all of them Bethesda, InXile, Obsidian. They have the opportunity to make something epic with those peoples.
I wouldn't trust modern Obsidian to get it done either. You discount Outer Worlds from your calculations but to me that's the clearest example of what they would do with Fallout.

The early footage of Avowed too further proves that. Maybe smaller scale games they can allow for an auteur to take control but anything large is going to be committee driven these days, especially under both Bethesda and Microsoft.

Of the three options, InXile might be the best choice for creative leads but not for the actual game creation (I'd still rate Bethesda over the other two there).

Buggy Loop

I wouldn't trust modern Obsidian to get it done either. You discount Outer Worlds from your calculations but to me that's the clearest example of what they would do with Fallout.

The early footage of Avowed too further proves that. Maybe smaller scale games they can allow for an auteur to take control but anything large is going to be committee driven these days, especially under both Bethesda and Microsoft.

Of the three options, InXile might be the best choice for creative leads but not for the actual game creation (I'd still rate Bethesda over the other two there).

Pentiment overrules Outer worlds.

Phenomenal writing in that game. So yeah. There's writing talent there.

Bethesda never really did have any writing talent.

We have no fucking info about Avowed, I'm tired of peoples judging a cRPG from a few minutes of footage.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
The 3 founders of Troika (Fallout 1 & 2) Tim Cain, Leonard Boyarsky are now at Obsidian, and Jason Anderson is at

They seriously have a dream team of neckbeards and IPs for them to work with. I will definitely play the next InXile game but why not leverage the IP at your disposal? A fallout or elder scrolls game in the style of Wasteland 3 would be sick. Shit, even a doom RPG would be tight.

Kurotri

I don't think anyone expected the show to be that good and so successful, so no surprise there. Actually kinda reassuring to hear that because that may mean they aren't rushing things out the door. Between season 2 being far away and MS potentionally giving the Fallout IP to another studio, they may be able to strike gold next time and do a simultanous release.

Last edited:

Zheph

I don't think anyone expected the show to be that good and so successful, so no surprise there. Actually kinda reassuring to hear that because that may mean they aren't rushing things out the door. Between season 2 being far away and MS potentionally giving the Fallout IP to another studio, they may be able to strike gold next time and do a simultanous release.
Yeah also the writer's strike "helped" a lot

fatmarco

Pentiment overrules Outer worlds.

Phenomenal writing in that game. So yeah. There's writing talent there.

Bethesda never really did have any writing talent.

We have no fucking info about Avowed, I'm tired of peoples judging a cRPG from a few minutes of footage.
Pentiment overules Outer Worlds how exactly? Larger games have larger writing staffs, larger expectations, and many, many more cooks, which tend to lean towards a more neutered creative especially under Microsoft. It's also important to note that Bethesda would likely rule over any 3rd party creating any Fallout content from a creative standpoint, so if you think Starfield was garbage narratively, then that will impact whatever the next Fallout is.

The last example of Obsidian working on a larger game (AA) was Outer Worlds, so why was the writing and characterization not good there?

I wasn't saying there wasn't talent at Obsidian, I just don't see or trust that talent overcoming the game development environment at the scale of a AAA.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Good for Amazon.

Fallout games are selling quite well again, Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 in particular are seeing a strong lift. MS has a Fallout 76 expansion coming out this year too.

Not really a ‘missed opportunity’. It’s still there

Definitely looking like 2026.

calistan

I need to subscribe to Prime. I think it's less than 20 bucks a month.
Damn thing has ads in it now! Not so bad in Fallout, they were only at the start, but I tried streaming an old movie and it was stopping every 20-30 minutes to show me multiple unskippable ads.

Buggy Loop

Pentiment overules Outer Worlds how exactly?

Phenomenal writing, you know, the thing we are debating about, in fact, mostly writing doing the heavy lifting of that game to make it score like it did.

So what's your argument here anyway, you're arguing for the sake of arguing?

Did Bethesda ever write something of quality or better than Obsidian, ever? No
Did Obsidian just showcase that as of 2022 they can still write something stellar? Yes

What are you arguing about? What's YOUR suggestion to handover Fallout to a dev? What's a better solution than the one I propose, I'm all hears.

Even their critiqued Outer worlds fucking wipes the floor with Bethesda's starfield when it comes to writing, I cannot stress this enough.

Last edited:

fatmarco

Phenomenal writing, you know, the thing we are debating about, in fact, mostly writing doing the heavy lifting of that game to make it score like it did.

So what's your argument here anyway, you're arguing for the sake of arguing?

Did Bethesda ever write something of quality or better than Obsidian, ever? No
Did Obsidian just showcase that as of 2022 they can still write something stellar? Yes

What are you arguing about? What's YOUR suggestion to handover Fallout to a dev? What's a better solution than the one I propose, I'm all hears.

Even their critiqued Outer worlds fucking wipes the floor with Bethesda's starfield when it comes to writing, I cannot stress this enough.
The argument is what I stated. That Pentiment is a small project and not indicative of what would occur with a larger project like Fallout, which is overseen by Bethesda anyway.

Also I'd make an argument for Morrowind as far as writing goes, but much like Obsidian's older work, it's irrelevant in a debate about what they might deliver in the future given that neither company is the same company they were 10-20 years ago.

Also I literally suggested a collaboration between groups given that none of them individually seem capable of the project, and suggested InXile as the creative leads in the earlier post.

Top Bottom