• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu 2008 Top 100 Half-Year Chart

Jonnyram

kpop100 said:
Wait so why is the 360 the HD RPG machine of choice again?
Because typically RPGs come out in the second half of the year, not the first.

edit: Sorry, I missed Joshua's response.

Gokurakumaru said:
What do you mean "so what if only 1 in 3 are buying it this year"? That's the whole point. The attach rate is shrinking so the 1:1 attach in the West is a complete distortion of reality.

You are kinda missing the point we are trying to make. Sure it wouldn't have that whole 1:1 ratio if it wasn't a pack-in, but the fact that it is a pack-in means that it might be preventing people from buying that one extra game they wanted. This is pretty obvious if the system already comes with a game, the consumer will be forced to pay the extra 50$ Nintendo lashed onto the Wii (presumably), instead of giving them the possibility of buying a new game that isn't Wii Sports. That means that you could almost tack on another 1.0 to the tie-ratio. There would be exceptions, though. So it wouldn't be completely clear cut.

Gokurakumaru said:
You guys are hopeless. Yes, it's at a 50% LTD attach rate in Japan right now. It was the reason to pick up a Wii in Japan. Last year. Everybody's so quick to latch onto the 50% statistic they've failed to notice less than 1 in 3 are buying it this year. Wii Fit doing over 2 million sales without the luxury of being on the market since launch and being advertised as the reason to pick up a Wii is far more impressive.

As I said before, given an option -- and those options have obviously grown -- people will pass over fluff like Wii Sports. It's not and never will be a 20 million seller no matter how much fanciful accounting people want to do when calculating attach rates.

So...12 million isn't impressive? That would make it the best-selling game this gen, would it not? It's a bit early to be crying out for 20-million sellers, especially since no game last gen made it there. Actually, I think no single game has ever made it there without being a pack-in. So your "20 million or fail" mentality is a bit over the top.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
So is this the first time in Japan there are 3 platforms that can potentially break 4M hw in one year?

Phife Dawg said:
It seems PS3 attracts the same (now not so) niche as the 360. It'll be interesting to see if and how that'll have an effect on 360 in the long run (though there's the 360 timed exclusives and all).
But that was their strategy from beginning (targeting same core-gamer as MS), and in Japan they even went as far as launching with mostly Western dev lineup. Is it really so surprising the results reflect it?
Might be interesting to see how Western developed titles sales in Japan compare across each of the playstations.

So I thought, "Hey, since I set up that bar chart for showing the weekly top 30 using a static scale, what if I applied the same scale to the results from the mid-year Top 100?" So I did.

At that scale it produces a 1961x1205 (but only 15 KB) image, so I'll leave it a link. Visually, though, it's much more apparent how 1st is by far the leader, and how 2-4 similarly tower over the rest.

(I wonder if I'd fry JpGraph by trying to create such an image for a yearly Top 500.)

Fafalada said:
But that was their strategy from beginning (targeting same core-gamer as MS), and in Japan they even went as far as launching with mostly Western dev lineup. Is it really so surprising the results reflect it?
Might be interesting to see how Western developed titles sales in Japan compare across each of the playstations.
It was their strategy to target the gamers interested in western gaming? Then why bring all the successful PS2 games over to PS3?

I think the target was to focus on the west (mainly the US) with first party software, and bring in Japan with third party software and brand name (aiming at the PS2 gamers).

JoshuaJSlone said:
So I thought, "Hey, since I set up that bar chart for showing the weekly top 30 using a static scale, what if I applied the same scale to the results from the mid-year Top 100?" So I did.

At that scale it produces a 1961x1205 (but only 15 KB) image, so I'll leave it a link. Visually, though, it's much more apparent how 1st is by far the leader, and how 2-4 similarly tower over the rest.

(I wonder if I'd fry JpGraph by trying to create such an image for a yearly Top 500.)
Thanks, really interesting.

donny2112

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Its kind of depressing this is the only 360 title with all the JRPG's they have wrapped up.

From my numbers, the top 360 RPG in 2008 is Lost Odyssey @ #10 for the 360 with 17K. I obviously don't have 100% complete data through the middle of the year, but it should be almost that for the 360.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Visually, though, it's much more apparent how 1st is by far the leader, and how 2-4 similarly tower over the rest.

As I've said before, this year is really down compared to last year at the same point. In 2007, there were 10 games at the mid-year point that sold more than #5 did in 2008.

Top Bottom