• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu #986, reviews and news

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
The N1 thing looks like crap.

I wonder if Nintendo will localize Card Hero this time.

Mandoric

Banned
ethelred said:
What IS Game Center?

It's a semireality TV show where a popular comedian who kinda sucked at games when he first took the job is tortured through the classics until he beats them or gives up trying.
The game itself earns its licencedness by sticking his deformed 3D shape on the bottom screen, while the top screen is devoted to a selection of new, semiparodic 8bit/16bit style games from Namco.

Edit: Apparently he's -not- on the bottom screen. Still, it uses the name.
There's a column in this month's Wired about the show, I think. Makes me kinda sad the subtitling group I was tangentially involved with fell apart before trying it.:lol

Amir0x

Banned
jiji said:
A fan had her sing a cover of it, yes.

Hatsune Miku is a plugin for Yamaha's vocal synthesis program Vocaloid - and she's also an extra-marketable character. She's super-popular among Japanese nerds. Her marketing machine is just getting started.

oh ok see something something japanese culture

still curious to see what they have cooked up here

ethelred said:
What IS Game Center?
Game Center CX is a Japanese TV show where this guy named Arino has to play old, really hard, potentially awful Famicom games like Transformers and Adventure Island. The DS game is a collection of new, faux-retro games that are parodies of the kinds of games you see on the show. The second screen shows a couple of kids in front of a console, in 3D, playing whatever it is you're playing on the upper screen.

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20070914/gccx.htm
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20070817/gcx.htm
http://namco-ch.net/gamecenter_cx/game/index.php

edit: beaten by the Mandoric :p

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
jiji said:
Oh, and that's a great score for Game Center CX. I'll import that for sure. I'm looking forward to seeing those parody games. :D

Any video? I'm curious.

rakka

alright score for UC considering its a spinoff, on rails, reuses assets,etc. looks like quite a bit of fun too

Yoboman said:
Maybe next issue?
not likely. but of course we can always hope.

Bebpo

Banned
jj984jj said:
The N1 thing looks like crap.

I wonder if Nintendo will localize Card Hero this time.

Is there a bigger picture? Because I can't see anything from a thumbnail pic.

Lightning

Banned
For a Famitsu score that is bad for Heavenly Sword... I was expecting better. i have doubts about the sales of HS...

ethelred

Okay, so let me see if I've got all this straight.

Yamaha creates Vocaloid, a device used to synthesize vocals to songs by the user typing in lyrics. They then create an anime-styled character, Miku Hatsune, to sing the Vocaloid songs by combining the voices of a couple popular singers. And now N1 is making an RPG based on this character.

Meanwhile, Namco has created a game where you play some kids playing faux-retro 8 bit games made specifically for the game as parody of actual 8 bit games.

Okay.

jj984jj

Bebpo said:
Is there a bigger picture? Because I can't see anything from a thumbnail pic.
I mean by what it's based on, if this is their first DS game that's really sad. I hope it isn't.

ethelred said:
Okay, so let me see if I've got all this straight.

Yamaha creates Vocaloid, a device used to synthesize vocals to songs by the user typing in lyrics. They then create an anime-styled character, Miku Hatsune, to sing the Vocaloid songs by combining the voices of a couple popular singers. And now N1 is making an RPG based on this character.

Meanwhile, Namco has created a game where you play some kids playing faux-retro 8 bit games made specifically for the game as parody of actual 8 bit games.

Okay.
And as if that wasn't enough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Krj7A7Nk1o

ethelred

jj984jj said:
I mean by what it's based on, if this is their first DS game that's really sad. I hope it isn't.

How does it sound more stupid than La Pucelle or Phantom Brave? And why are people assuming this will be a DS game? Seems as likely or more to be PS2.

Jiji: I'm not sure I want to click that link. Ima scared. :(

Jonnyram

2ch reports make Hatsune Miku sound like Idolm@ster.
It is for PS3, not DS, and it will also feature songs from Disgaea and Tori no Hoshi.

jj984jj

ethelred said:
How does it sound more stupid than La Pucelle or Phantom Brave? And why are people assuming this will be a DS game? Seems as likely or more to be PS2.
It doesn't, and I didn't like either of those, wish they would publish more great original stuff like Disgaea, Makai Kingdom, or Soul Nomad.

Jonnyram said:
It is for PS3, not DS, and it will also feature songs from Disgaea and Tori no Hoshi.
DO NOT WANT! Glad it's not their first DS game.

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, watching Youtubes on this made up voice synth girl. Not creepy like I thought, some of this stuff is actually pretty neat.

She looks like an N1 character anyway, guess it fits.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Jonnyram said:

That sounds pretty awesome, this makes me wish that we could get a legitimate sim game that explores the tribulations of becoming a pop star.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I'm so glad Game Center CX isn't a kusoge. Can't wait, absolutely love that show.

As for Hatsune Miku, most of you don't understand, she's absolutely huge right now. People create original songs using the program and all sorts of stuff. It's totally huge on NicoNico. N1 is going to make maaaaaaad cash off of this.

lupin23rd

Jonnyram said:

Cool, not sure it's my thing but nice to see more PS3 games.

Before you mentioned this one, I was going to say "hope it's for PS3, will probably be for cell phones".

Pachael

Holy shit. Hatsune Miku sounds like one heck of an opportunity that's waiting to happen. Yamaha's done a good job here. Another chick's going to 'come out' in December too (Hatsune was end-August). Surprising the popularity~!

Wiki here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocaloid
Site here: http://www.crypton.co.jp/mp/pages/prod/vocaloid/
(Interesting, they've already done this before with Vocaloid 1, eg. Meiko, Keito etc)

EDIT: Hearing some demosongs on the site. Not badddd

EDIT 2: OK. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG_kz6Sp500

EDIT 3: Apparently not happening? Maybe it's a 'like to have' post.

m00

Mandoric said:
2008&#12288;Metal Gear Lolid 4 <Konami>
Freudian slip (noun): a slip of the tongue that is motivated by and reveals some unconscious aspect of the mind

Cedille

Jonnyram said:
If not typo, it says Disgaea3 and Tori No Hoshi have their theme songs sung by Miku Hatsune as alternatives.

Is there any more information about Populous DS? For example whether it based more on the original or on the sequel or a mix and match of different games in the franchise? I am looking forward to this game.

And I am glad to see that Shiren Wii is going good, the more roguelikes the merrier. I am just disappointed that Shiren DS still hasn't been ported over to the US...

Cruceh

Banned
Pachael said:
Holy shit. Hatsune Miku sounds like one heck of an opportunity that's waiting to happen. Yamaha's done a good job here. Another chick's going to 'come out' in December too (Hatsune was end-August). Surprising the popularity~!

Wiki here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocaloid
Site here: http://www.crypton.co.jp/mp/pages/prod/vocaloid/
(Interesting, they've already done this before with Vocaloid 1, eg. Meiko, Keito etc)

EDIT: Hearing some demosongs on the site. Not badddd
Yeah, I really like this one:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yFMC8LjvTcA

Woah nice score and info for RE:UC, I like a hard game. I expect 7's across the board here though, which would be good enough for me.

Darkman M said:
Ive lost all faith in the series : (

It's not the series I've lost faith in, since I have no doubts FFXIII will be phenomenal...

It's whatever bonehead over at S-E has decided FFXIII isn't worth impressing with public trailers, picture updates, etc. Same shit happened with FFXII. :(

cvxfreak said:
Famitsu generally likes the Biohazard series. A 32 for UC means they definitely don't like it as much as the rest of the series, which tends to score 36-39 otherwise.
I think they docked points for it being too hard.

* Difficult; even in easy, simple wandering enemies almost rise to the "miniboss" level
* Most difficult bosses in a while
* Zombie shuffling increases headshot difficulty

I don't think it'll be that hard though iirc they even complained about Zelda TP being too hard in their review - those guys are weaksauce. I don't think I died once in TP.

Lightning said:
For a Famitsu score that is bad for Heavenly Sword... I was expecting better. i have doubts about the sales of HS...
You expected this to sell well in Japan? :lol After seeing Ninja Gaiden tank after it's opening week I'm pretty sure this will hit OK first week numbers only to plummet from the charts in 1 or 2 weeks. I don't think it'll even hit 60k LTD.

splattergnome said:
Is there any more information about Populous DS? For example whether it based more on the original or on the sequel or a mix and match of different games in the franchise? I am looking forward to this game.
I second that question. Not enough Populous talk in this thread.

justchris

Mandoric said:
Populous DS (EA/DS/2008-02-21)
* Challenge, Free Play, VS, Gallery modes
* Both touch and pad controls.
* Includes movies for some of the more flamboyant miracles you can trigger
* Includes many popular old map types (Jidaigeki, Persian)

Populous! EEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :D

Top Bottom