• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: Best selling games of 2019 in Japan

Top 20

1. Pokemon Sword and Shield - 2.988.134
2. Super Smash Bros Ultimate - 1.092.397
3. Kingdom Hearts 3 - 861.226
4. Super Mario Maker 2 - 800.504
5. NSMBUD - 747.589
6. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 628.712
7. Minecraft - 620.894
8. Luigi's Mansion 3 - 505.998
9. Super Mario Party - 498.857
10. RingFit Adventure - 495.639
11. Dragon Quest XI DE - 463.699
12. Pokemon Let's Go - 431.629
13. MHW: Iceborne - 417.462
14. Resident Evil 2 Remake - 403.833
15. Splatoon 2 - 378.340
16. Fishing Spirits - 336.995
17. Zelda BOTW - 301.657
18. Yokai Watch 4 - 291.878
19. FE 3 Houses - 273.905
20. Sekiro - 267.666

Mista

Banned
Sekiro just 250K? And where the hell is Astral Chain?!

Fuck off Japan :D

tenor.gif

Shin

Banned
Japan likes fun, social, cute looking games instead of the realism the West is going for.
I'm behind their taste all the way, bla bla games can be fun and realistic too bla bla bla.

GUESS-WHAT-I-DON-T-GIVE-A-FUCK

sublimit

Banned
KH3 at #3 is a big surprise to me. I had always thought that it wasn't so popular in Japan. Guess i was wrong. :p

Still those numbers are kinda disappointing. It seems like less and less Japanese people are playing console games. :/

blackjon24

I wonder if this is what square was expecting for dragon quest 11. The switch port was super late and half a mil really isn't that bad but it definitely does indicate to me that the next installment would not be exclusive to the console. Thank goodness.

Last edited:

bRacing

Banned
Which Microsoft title......If you mean Minecraft, that was already popular and established way before MS and it's on every platform....It's popularity has nothing to do with MS......
MS was responsible for teaming with Mojang to even bring it to console. And then they after they bought it they did nothing but expand its scope and reach. To say they had no hand in its popularity is pure ignorance. And the version in that list is largely the Switch version, which was developed and released by...wait for it...Microsoft. But sure, nothing to do with its success. lol

blackjon24

[QUOTE="sublimit, post: 257030373, member: 608]
KH3 at #3 is a big surprise to me. I had always thought that it wasn't so popular in Japan. Guess i was wrong. :p

Still those numbers are kinda disappointing. It seems like less and less Japanese people are playing console games. :/
[/QUOTE]

Ya it really is sad. Honestly kh3 at over 800k is amazing for japan. You really don't see that kind of numbers for switch 3rd party games in japan even if the sales of the system are higher than that of ps4 over there.

I think you will continue to see 3rd party console japanese games releasing, they won't do as good in japan as they used to in the past but the rest of the world has been making up for the decreasing Japanese sales.

Last edited:
I wonder if this is what square was expect for dragon quest 11. The switch port was super late and half a mil really isn't that bad but it definitely does indicate to me that the next installment would be exclusive to the console. Thank goodness.
DQ 11 was created with console gaming in mind as stated by Horii and 3ds version just an afterthought.

blackjon24

Ya it really is sad. Honestly kh3 at over 800k is amazing for japan. You really don't see that kind of numbers for switch 3rd party games in japan even if the sales of the system are higher than that of ps4 over there.

I think you will continue to see 3rd party console japanese games releasing, they won't do as good in japan as they used to in the past but the rest of the world has been making up for the decreasing Japanese sales.

Minecraft on Switch has sold over 1.2M in Japan which is higher than any PS4 third party games except MHW and DQ11

cryptoadam

Banned
Mario Maker and Party are surprises. I mean yes Mario usually means sales, but out of Nintendo games they have felt somewhat under appreciated from fans and Nintendo. I mean Party has gotten 0 DLC, how hard is it to make a board or two. And Mario Maker generally had a lukewarm reception with a lot of people crapping on its online short comings.

And Mario Kart Geez. The thirst for Kart racing is real. I am still going with a 2021 MK 9 release date. I suspect they can squeeze another 500K sales out of it before then.

sublimit

Banned
I heard Disney is very popular in Japan.
Do you think FFVII Remake (part 1) will sell more than KH3? I always thought that FF is SE's 2nd best selling franchise in Japan (after DQ) but i don't think it will sell more than KH3.

Last edited:

Clarissa

Banned
Do you think FFVII Remake (part 1) will sell more than KH3? I always thought that FF is SE's 2nd best selling franchise in Japan (after DQ) but i don't think it will sell more than KH3.

I think Ff7r will definitely be bigger than Kingdom Hearts 3 in Japan. In the world too.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I think it will, FFVII IP is much more popular and has more history than KH series.

Birdo

Banned
It's interesting that Japan doesn't have yearly franchises like the west does. Like COD and FIFA, which dominate our charts every year.

RingFit in the top 10 gives me hope we'll get a sequel, especially since it launched in Q4.
They're struggling to keep up with the the demand right now, 1st they were underestimating the demand then Corona Virus slowing down the production of the ring thingy.

Still hard to believe the game was announced on twitter lol.

Last edited:
It's interesting that Japan doesn't have yearly franchises like the west does. Like COD and FIFA, which dominate our charts every year.
I think Pokemon is close to that definition but still miss a few years in the last decade.

2010 - BW
2012 - BW2
2013 - XY
2014 - ORAS
2016 - SuMo
2017 - USUM
2018 - Let's GO
2019 - SwSh

Also is RingFit actually any good?
Oh yeah.

Superior to Wii Fit as an exercise product, with more exercises and some smart features (like automatically tailoring the post-session stretches to the sort of exercise moves you did).

But what caught me off guard was how fun so may of the activities are. The minigames are a lot of fun, too, though they aren't worth buying the game for on their own.

Nintendo already have three 3M physical sales sellers with
Pokemon SwSh
Smash Bros Ultimate
Splatoon 2

Soon 2 games will join the 3M rank, MK8D and ACNH.

blackjon24

Minecraft on Switch has sold over 1.2M in Japan which is higher than any PS4 third party games except MHW and DQ11

Ya I guess I wasn't thinking about minecraft at all because it is not the kind of games I was talking about but you're correct it is a rare 3rd party slam dunk in japan

Top Bottom