• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: Best selling games of 2019 in Japan

Flintty

No Astral Chain is disappointing, but at least the West seemed to like it so hopefully there’s enough shifted to get a sequel. Other than that, good job Nintendo.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
I see Japans gaming choices havent matured any.
But what can expect from a country of men who sleep with pillows with cartoon women printed on them.

Ya I guess I wasn't thinking about minecraft at all because it is not the kind of games I was talking about but you're correct it is a rare 3rd party slam dunk in japan
Minecraft Switch was initially launched in digital format and consistently charted in the top selling game on eShop top seller.

I think it's safe to say the overall sales has surpass 2M copies and Physical sales alone is going to surpass Dragon Quest PS4 sales number very soon and became the best 3rd party seller in this Generation.

No Astral Chain is disappointing, but at least the West seemed to like it so hopefully there’s enough shifted to get a sequel. Other than that, good job Nintendo.
Physically it sold very bad but fortunately voucher program has pushed the sales of the game to the acceptable level in Japan and combined with ROTW sales the game has surpassed Platinum game expectation according to Astral Chain Director.

blackjon24

Minecraft Switch was initially launched in digital format and consistently charted in the top selling game on eShop top seller.

I think it's safe to say the overall sales has surpass 2M copies and Physical sales alone is going to surpass Dragon Quest PS4 sales number very soon and became the best 3rd party seller in this Generation.

You are really fixated on minecraft lol, you do realize that minecraft launched at the price point of 3000 yen? It will never touch the success of monster hunter world and dragon quest 11 ps4 in japan

You are really fixated on minecraft lol, you do realize that minecraft launched at the price point of 3000 yen? It will never touch the success of monster hunter world and dragon quest 11 ps4 in japan
That's from Switch number alone.
Combined that with PS4, PSV, WIiU, and monstrous digital number you will get the idea of how big is Minecraft even in Japan.

shoegaze

Looking at that list I'm coming to a conclusion that Japan market is irrelevant these days as a metric of any kind. Japanese developers are very much relevant, just not the consumers.

Joe T.

These lists always remind me how poorly the markets have rewarded creativity. The number of sequels and established characters/brands that dominate these lists year after year is depressing.

images

YukiOnna

You don't like COD, FIFA, Madden, and NBA2K?
Nope. While I actively watch sports, I don't understand the appeal of sports games and think JP mobile games are more attractive for what they offer. DOOM and Wolfenstein are more my thing in terms of FPS.

That list and some other stuff anime stuff missing is generally what I play. Well, minus shit like Fishing Spirits or RingFit lol.

EDIT: Specifically referring to Top20 and not full list. I see Ryza and stuff is there. :p

Last edited:
Looking at that list I'm coming to a conclusion that Japan market is irrelevant these days as a metric of any kind. Japanese developers are very much relevant, just not the consumers.
Irrelevant?
Smash Ultimate and Pokemon SwSh physical plus digital sales are above 4.2 million units.

Last edited:

Is it because it features 15 Switch games in the top 20? Does it make you mad? I mean, 15 out of 20 fuck that's a lot!

Top Bottom