• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu info on Atlus new fantasy RPG Project Re Fantasy (Studio Zero, Hashino)

DKHF

So they are just gearing up for hiring? What the hell is the point of announcing anything? I mean of course hey won't say what the platform is since by the time this releases somewhere around 2020-2021 who the hell knows any platform that will be successful.

Hell, mobile might become a desirable platform for console gamers (Nvidia Shield 4 or 5 will be out by then). Please be excited.
So they can be less secretive when hiring people? Announcing the basic premise of the game as being fantasy allows them to attract people who would not be interested in working on a non-fantasy/Persona game.

But he needs to be designing the characters and demons for SMTV (if there was one). Especially after the bland designs of SMTIV.

I sure hope Soejima being on this new IP means that Kaneko might come back to active duty on SMT. But I don't want to get my hopes up.

What's the correlation? It's not like Soejima was the artist at Team Maniax working on the recent SMT games.

True. Just wishful thinking that they might put Ishida and Doi on Persona and Kaneko back on SMT. I guess they have other artists who could take over Persona, but would they trust their money-maker to someone unproven?

duckroll

True. Just wishful thinking that they might put Ishida and Doi on Persona and Kaneko back on SMT. I guess they have other artists who could take over Persona, but would they trust their money-maker to someone unproven?

But it's in the OP....

“Soejima is an indispensable member of the Persona series staff, but we don’t want his work to stop there. Meguro is the same. Both will continue to participate in the Persona series in the future."

But it's in the OP....

“Soejima is an indispensable member of the Persona series staff, but we don’t want his work to stop there. Meguro is the same. Both will continue to participate in the Persona series in the future."

Well, yeah.. it's a bit ambiguous. I guess either he'll be hands-on on both IPs, or he'll step back to more of an advisory role on Persona. Either way I'm sure Kaneko isn't coming back...

SxP

- Direct Katsura Hoshino comment: Even though the current hardware it will appear on is unannounced, we are making this for those that like home console games and love Atlus games. It is going to take a fair amount of time to complete, but I will be doing everything I can so please look forward to it.

This just makes it seem that the only reason they're not announcing this game for PS4 (and maybe something else as well) is that they have no idea how long it'll take and it might very well be PS5.

Dantis

Well, yeah.. it's a bit ambiguous. I guess either he'll be hands-on on both IPs, or he'll step back to more of an advisory role on Persona. Either way I'm sure Kaneko isn't coming back...
I think he'll still do illustration work, but everything else will be other people.

Which is pretty similar to his role in all the spinoffs.

kenta

Has no PEINS
I would be curious to know why they feel the need to start an entirely new studio for this, though. If Hashino, Soejima and Meguro are all onboard, why go through the hassle of building the rest of the studio from scratch when they already have a talented staff? Why not leverage the notoriety of P-Studio and say you're turning it into a two-team studio? Is it a cultural thing?

MLH

Err... I was expecting a reveal in two days but it sounds like this game hasn't even got a full development team yet, so I imagine it'll be a while before we actually see this game.

Atlus seems to be notorious for doing this lately - with Persona 5 being announced so early and SMTxFE also being announced even before any ideas had been made (although that might be Nintendo's fault).

Try not to get any ideas of this game in your head it'll likely change drastically before its actual reveal. The redhead elf girl is actually a cosplayer and the game is set in modern Tokyo lol.

duckroll

I would be curious to know why they feel the need to start an entirely new studio for this, though. If Hashino, Soejima and Meguro are all onboard, why go through the hassle of building the rest of the studio from scratch when they already have a talented staff? Why not leverage the notoriety of P-Studio and say you're turning it into a two-team studio? Is it a cultural thing?

"Studio" in this sense just means "new internal team" really. There's really no hassle here. They're going to recruit aggressively using this new project as an attraction because they need the staff. It doesn't mean they're not going to have leads in the company also working on this. The main message is that the company is expanding now, and they'er going to work on more things moving forward.

MoonFrog

"Studio" in this sense just means "new internal team" really. There's really no hassle here. They're going to recruit aggressively using this new project as an attraction because they need the staff. It doesn't mean they're not going to have leads in the company also working on this. The main message is that the company is expanding now, and they'er going to work on more things moving forward.

Which is cool in itself, and I hope it goes well.

FluxWaveZ

Atlus seems to be notorious for doing this lately - with Persona 5 being announced so early and SMTxFE also being announced even before any ideas had been made (although that might be Nintendo's fault).

Yeah, #FE doesn't count because that was on Nintendo. I would say that Etrian Odyssey V and Persona 5 are the two games that were announced abnormally early on for the company. Seems that Project Re Fantasy might be another, however it seems that this is because it's part of a large recruitment push.

Sounds like they have titles—or at least a title—that are way further along in development than this game. Interested in hearing about them soon.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So basically, Atlus are creating a new internal team and expanding their size, and also announcing a brand new game due to that effort, in addition to the games they are already working on now a P-studio

Sounds good to me.

I would not be surprised if they eventually went PS4/Switch/PC and aimed much higher for both their domestic market and the global market.

It'll be a home console game then? Yaaaaay!
Won't be released till 2020 at earliest? Booooo!

Seriously though, I'm happy that they are trying new things but I wish they had not announced it yet. I guess they had to do that since they need to recruit a lot of devs and they probably want those devs to know what kinda of project they'll be working on and what is expected of them and what sort skills/knowledge they need to bring to table. But still, I wish they could've done that without actually announcing the game.

MoonFrog

So basically, Atlus are creating a new internal team and expanding their size, and also announcing a brand new game due to that effort, in addition to the games they are already working on now a P-studio

Sounds good to me.

I would not be surprised if they eventually went PS4/Switch/PC and aimed much higher for both their domestic market and the global market.

I could see Atlus doing very well with PS4/Switch(/PC) multiplatform, with perhaps some smaller games (thinking EO) staying Switch exclusive, or they could port those sorts of game and hope for strong coat-tails to, mostly, Persona.

They're the kind of company that could really benefit from being able to hit a Nintendo portable and a Sony home console with the same games. I hope they do so.

Philippo

Coming Winter 2019?

Jokes aside, i see what they are doing (pulling a Cyberpunk 2077), but i wished this was already in pre-preduction enough to warrant us something in video form or a character model, instead of concept art :/

Dinda

Boo, i want her to be the main character....but of course we will probably end up with the most generic teenage boy out of the cast as the main character, big surprise.
Come on Atlus, prove me wrong!

Or will we maybe get a character creator?

Really sounds like Switch is the platform it's aiming for which isn't ideal but I can work with that. Glad Atlus has put their faith in Hashino when the man hasn't made a error since he started with directing Smt3. The only thing I can see is social link being carried over but not a extract replica, romantic options don't have to be in it of course.

Eolz

Those new details are pretty interesting. No wonder they're saying they're not thinking about the platform if it's not out before a while lel.

Also, hope they keep true to their teasing about news for SMT/Persona/other games in early 2017.

Inuhanyou

Really sounds like Switch is the platform it's aiming for which isn't ideal but I can work with that. Glad Atlus has put their faith in Hashino when the man hasn't made a error since he started with directing Smt3. The only thing I can see is social link being carried over but not a extract replica, romantic options don't have to be in it of course.

Switch? I don't see that implied as their primary platform especially with their huge build up...why would they bother with no real actual evidence of how it would do at launch or beyond? My guess is they are starting with PS4 as a base but don't want to say at the moment. It was the same for Platinum's new game.

Lime

The character in the illustration made for the cover isn’t necessarily the protagonist either.”

Damn :( I hope it's not going to be some anime boy who collects waifus

It will probably be released in 2022 I think.

Switch? I don't see that implied as their primary platform especially with their huge build up...why would they bother with no real actual evidence of how it would do at launch or beyond? My guess is they are starting with PS4 as a base but don't want to say at the moment. It was the same for Platinum's new game.

Your probably right. Just the lack of platform makes me think it's for a unreleased platform. Would prefer ps4 myself either way. As long as it's not mobile is a win for me.

Inuhanyou

This was more of a statement of intent for their new studio and plans for their first project of that studio rather than an official game reveal. Did they ever try and make it sound like an official game announcement?

Even so, i think we'll see a conceptual trailer pretty soon

Think it about this way.

Sure, it sucks that this was announced this early.

But this announcement also means there's higher likelihood that this game would be out earlier and better than what it would had been had this been kept secret.

Because it would mean that Studio Zero would be able to staff up the right talent and get to speed on this game faster than if they're hiring via "hush hush we're making a new IP can't tell you what it is till the interview hush hush"

Top Bottom