• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Survey Results: Gamers pick their favorite game developers Top 20

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Konami is #4 because of Kojima Productions mostly.

hatchx

Banned
What about Japan Studio? Bloodborne, Gravity Rush....

And lol at the pic and then no Platinum Games. They deserve to be in that list.

Well wouldn't Bloodborne be considered FROM Software? and was Gravity Rush really a success?

Genuinely curious why Sony ranked as it did, but I guess they do produce some of the best production values around.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Awesome top 5 there! I think I actually completely agree with them, although I would have Sega at number 2 and Konami at 3, Capcom at 4 and Squenix at 5.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Yes, and the poll was for their favorite developer, not publisher. GameFreak develops Pokemon.

But Nintendo programs the localized versions and even a lot of the network features of all the GameFreak pokemons. TPC doesn't do anywhere as much development wise.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Why are people surprised Platinum Games isn't there? They aren't exactly popular in Japan despite their good games...

"893 people voted"

Man, Famitsu isn't as relevant as it used to be, huh? I've seen obscure blogs with more votes in monthly polls than the top gaming magazine in Japan.

Hmm. Guessing minecraft snuck in from the people looking it as, well microsoft own mojang, regardless of who published here. Still, a really random result haha. Might have expected level 5 to be higher but I'm not sure I have a good grasp on this stuff

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
The fuck is this shit?! No PlatinumGames????? And of all lists. So disappointed with the Japanese.

Congrats to Nintendo I guess. 😐

Some of the information as provided is a wee bit unclear here. It seems each voter put in their own top ten or twenty, rather than choosing one. So this may be a little off-base, but whatever.

When comparing self-identified 'gamer' votes vs non-gamer votes, the order shifts a bit, and also skews toward mobile companies (not terribly surprising):

Gamers (list as in OP), and how each company moved compared to non-gamers:
VHRtYdw.png

Non-gamers (re-ordered based on numbers in parentheses), and how each company fares compared to non-gamers:
XGDqOhs.png

Green or a positive number indicates a move up the list compared to the other list, whereas negative numbers indicate a drop. It's interesting how well Nintendo fare in the non-gamer list, compared to the rest. The % is the total votes (noted as 893 in the OP) vs the number beside each company.

DJIzana

Sega should be above Konami. On par with Capcom, in my eyes. Actually surprised Cygames isn't listed given the popularity of Granblue (unless it falls under GREE).

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
No, but their quality in making games that are fun to play is unsurpassed.

But you have a very small pool of people who can even say that from experience. Like I'm sure the other 300 Platinum fans on the forum will agree with you, but it doesn't change the fact that the gameplay doesn't appeal to the masses.

kurahador

Japan still in love with Square Enix somehow, even though they haven't done anything remarkable in years. The good graces accumulated from the PS1/PS2 era is real, I guess.

So FFXIV RR, DQX, Nier, not to mention a bunch of handheld games which is Japan's preferred gaming device, didn't happen?

Vex_

Banned
No rockstar?

Shame on you, japan!

Also, im surprised square isnt #1. Especially since they have raitoningu.

Interesting that non-gamers put LINE on 3rd place, just one vote below SE.

Not really, when you consider that LINE is the main messaging app used in Japan. It has its own suite of accompanying game apps and some really strong collaborations (Tsumtsum) that would be more recognizable to the general non-hardcore populace.

Krejlooc

Banned
Atlus and Sega are the same company, it makes no sense to split them up. Especially when Konami, Capcom, Nintendo, etc. aren't split up. It's not enough to change the results of the poll, though. Point is, Sega got 200+ votes, not 100+.

EDIT: Actually, looking again, that would be enough to make them surpass both Konami and capcom.

Whompa02

How did Capcom get over Konami honestly...Metal Gear is a better output than anything Capcom has put out in over a decade.

Top Bottom