• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Survey Results: "Japan's Top 3 Biggest RPG" (Surprised?)

NeonZ

Tales above both Atlus series?

Tales series are like the Assassins Creed one in the J-RPG genre. Boring, charmless and repetitive.

Have you looked at their sales? Tales does better than any of Atlus' series. Maybe Persona 5 will change that, but it's really not surprising considering their past numbers.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm surprised Star Ocean isn't there.

Darius

Banned
You would think Pokemon and Persona would be higher. Maybe Nintendo fans do not gravitate to Famitsu to much, and Persona is more niche than I thought.

It´s nothing new that Famitsu polls favour Playstation titles due to their audience, a good and constant indicator for this have been their Most Wanted polls. So, yes, to a certain degree you are correct.

While Pokemon charting third isn´t surprising in this context, it´s still funny seeing the actual number of votes, just one third compared to Final Fantasy is just hilarious considering actual market performance.

In the dedicated gaming system segment it currently looks more like this.
1 Pokemon/YoukaiWatch
3.Dragon Quest
4.Final Fantasy
5.Tales of series

Probably due to actually beeing spin-offs, both, the Mario RPG and Paper Mario series have also been quite successful. Don´t know if SRPGs have been considered but also Fire Emblem has seen a resurgence this gen and has been more successful then quite a bunch of the listed IPs recently.

While understandable due to beeing either dormant or mismanaged, it´s sad to see how Breath of Fire and Seiken Densetsu are missing as well.

Final Fantasy series as a whole has been in a slump for years, excluding ARR which is a MMO. XV is still a wildcard. I guess FFVII remake would/could ignite the flame in FF series.

Forget to mention outside of recent FF and tales games after Grace. (note I have not played toz yet)

Even pokemon got worst but at least the quality does not reduces to FF13 standard.

Brands rule but where some land is really odd at first glance, but the ones up top have consistancy (which, to be fair, is a huge boon in this age for the genre).

Tales above both Atlus series?

Tales series are like the Assassins Creed one in the J-RPG genre. Boring, charmless and repetitive.

no u

Fbh

Kind of a weird poll.
If those are the more popular franchises why are 3 out of every 5 modern JRPG's I see some moe-loli-fan service filled type of crap?

Also, I'm surprised to see Shin Megami Tensei above Persona.

DNAbro

Kind of a weird poll.
If those are the more popular franchises why are 3 out of every 5 modern JRPG's I see some moe-loli-fan service filled type of crap?

those don't sell that well but sell to a even more niche audience who consistently buy them.

The reason Xeno is not a franchise is because it's two aborted franchises and one ongoing franchise (which hopefully won't share the same fate as its predecessors).

Kind of a weird poll.

Don't be. SMT still sells on par with the Persona series. The Persona fanbase will try and tell you that it's the more popular series, but it's not really.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Kind of a weird poll.

Niche design vs. mass appeal. Just because you see moe-esque artstyle frequently doesn't mean it actually appeals to the broad demographic.

square enix's mishandling of the kingdom hearts franchise is fucking hilarious. after 1 and 2, the series was on track to becoming bigger than final fantasy world wide and now.. rofl.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I wasn't expecting Dragon quest over final fantasy.

Yeah I'm surprised. I was expecting to see The Legend of Heroes, Disgaea, Atelier or Neptunia series instead of SaGa. I don't remember when SE made the last new SaGa game.

Yeah i was wondering the same, maybe it's just the hype for the new game.

redcrayon

I'm always surprised at just how popular and prolific the Tales games are in Japan when (of admittedly only the three I've played) they seem pretty mundane and generic to me, with a tendency towards having a cast of walking stereotypes.

Having said that, they do have an atmosphere of lighthearted fun rather than endless moody darkness, and there is something to be said for hitting what your fanbase wants on a regular basis rather than having variable quality and taking ten years to make a computer game.

Don't be. SMT still sells on par with the Persona series. The Persona fanbase will try and tell you that it's the more popular series, but it's not really.

It is more popular. P5 will probably do 500k+(across both platforms) FW but SMT is definitely more popular than what people say it is. Biggest problem with SMT is Atlus doesn't milk them enough.

Shahed

I'm always surprised at just how popular and prolific the Tales games are in Japan when (of admittedly only the three I've played) they seem pretty mundane and generic to me, with a tendency towards having a cast of walking stereotypes.

Having said that, they do have an atmosphere of lighthearted fun rather than endless moody darkness, and there is something to be said for hitting what your fanbase wants on a regular basis rather than having variable quality and taking ten years to make a computer game.
I was a big fan of Tales. It's just gone downhill post-Vesperia with the games becoming dull and uninspired. I decided to pass on Zestiria. They could do with taking a bit more time and care in order to deliver a better game instead of rushing them.

If Suikoden were 3rd, I'd be much happier. :( But then again, beside FF and DQ they all rank behind Pokemon which is kinda sad.

Still, list isn't surprising at all. I'm actually more shocked that there's more than 10 J-RPG franchises lol.

I'm just glad Suikoden is mentioned at all. Don't let the flame go out!

Damn, Kingdom Hearts has surely fallen from Japan's grace. Was expecting something like 4th or 5th position. The small number of surveys doesn't help either, I'm sure it used to be much bigger than SaGa LOL

wildfire

Banned
I find it very odd that I seriously don't recall a single Saga game. I wonder how I never heard of this series until now.

SMT far too low, it's been consistently better than FF for like, 10 years now.

SMT isn't anywhere near as accessible as FF though. Plus it still has some of those oldschool trappings (first person dungeons etc) that wouldn't necessary appeal to modern audiences.

I find it very odd that I seriously don't recall a single Saga game. I wonder how I never heard of this series until now.

You've probably heard of it, but under a different name. During the NES-era Square released them in the west under the name "Final Fantasy Legend". That was to try to give it a boost in sales by connecting it to a series that was known more at the time in the west. The series then completed skipped the SNES-era in the west and eventually returned on the PSone under the name Saga Frontier. The last one released in the was a remake of the first SNES game, Romancing Saga.

Top Bottom