• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu thread of Persona 4 raditude

wsippel

Banned
ram said:
LOL - you are expecting ps3/xbox360 visuals from wii??? :lol they are using the ace combat ps2 engine.
No. But you do know that there's something between PS2 and PS360, don't you? It's not an "either, or" thing. And we have absolutely no idea what engine they use. I mean, it probably is a modified last-gen engine, but the engine is not really the sole determining factor, anyway. If that were the case, re4 GC and re4 PS2 should have looked the same for example. It all depends on how much effort NBGI puts into this, and you can't judge this by the "scans" floating around. I personally expect it to end up like Soul Calibur Legends, but I can't tell for sure based on the informations currently available - and neither can you.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Just wanted to say I'm glad we're talking about the game itself instead of the platform it's going to, I was afraid the thread would be polluted by that shit. Long live to Atlus and the PS2.

I noticed all of the three characters shown are using the same type of glasses in one of the page blurbs, maybe that will be of relevance to their Persona-using?

noi5e said:
I thought the main guy was the Akihiko-ish looking fellow with the dorky haircut.
I'm thinking that too, he got quite the spotlight in the screens. The other boy looks much more like the "show-off" in the rpgfan description.

Maybe the endings will be shaped by how many die from the fog?

It's going to be part-mystery, after all. You'll probably be trying to find how who or what is killing people when the fog rolls in. How fast you do it and how much you find out could influence who and how many are killed.

Avalon said:
I'm hoping the different endings are based on the choices you make.

I get what you mean. Like, a lot of small decisions instead of a few BIG decisions. I'd rather have the few big than the many small.

zoku88

vas_a_morir said:
I get what you mean. Like, a lot of small decisions instead of a few BIG decisions. I'd rather have the few big than the many small.
Really? I prefer the many small decisions thing, myself.

IE: I really hate obvious things.

Angelo

This news sure made my day. I needed a boost after having a tough midterm today.

BTW, can we hypothesize a Wii version from Altus ala Baroque? The game was initially to be release only on PS2 but then the addition of the Wii version came in the last minute...or so to speak.

Angelo said:
This news sure made my day. I needed a boost after having a tough midterm today.

I needed a boost after getting horrendous grades on my midterms and slugging my way through a nerve-wrecking test for my Japanese class. :(

Avalon

vas_a_morir said:

I just want it to be more subtle unlike P3's "Do you want to get the cheap uncomplete ending?"

Nocturne'ish ending system would be great.

I wish I could say I'd only get excited once an English version has been confirmed, but I'd be lying if I said that. I still hope it's confirmed this year though, it seems pretty awesome so far.

Vorador

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Junpei should be the star of Persona 4. And 5. and 6. And 7. Best character everrrrrr

dunnnunununnna! Junpei has LEVELED UP!

At first i really hated him, seemed like a good-for-nothing humorous idiot best friend of the main character.

After the
Chidori events, and before when he gets jealous of the hero
i really began to get attached to him, he changes a lot during the game. Best character developing in a game EVER.

zoku88

Avalon said:
I just want it to be more subtle unlike P3's "Do you want to get the cheap uncomplete ending?"

Nocturne'ish ending system would be great.
IDK, I found Nocturne's ending system to be kind of obvious. I mean, there were basically flags for each faction that could override every decision you made in that game prior.

vertopci

By trailer on DVD, does that mean a trailer on a DVD that came with the Famitsu issue, or the first DVD for the Persona anime?

sakuragi

Banned
Vorador said:
At first i really hated him, seemed like a good-for-nothing humorous idiot best friend of the main character.

After the
Chidori events, and before when he gets jealous of the hero
i really began to get attached to him, he changes a lot during the game. Best character developing in a game EVER.

Play tales of the Abyss.

Danj

vertopci said:
By trailer on DVD, does that mean a trailer on a DVD that came with the Famitsu issue, or the first DVD for the Persona anime?

The bold part is the right answer.

sakuragi

Banned
Error said:
whatever man, just keep the tales of... stench out of this thread :)

But really, what was fantastic about the games is the difficulty, superb art style, interesting story, deep battle system, and the link system. the characters were the least reason why I enjoyed Persona 3.

Shin megami Digital deviel saga 1 and 2 character development walks all over this game, and slapped it like a little bitch. I hope Persona 4 copies DDS in that department. IMO P3's biggest flaw

MechaX

sakuragi said:
Shin megami Digital deviel saga 1 and 2 character development walks all over this game, and slapped it like a little bitch. I hope Persona 4 copies DDS in that department. IMO P3's biggest flaw

... Wait, what?

With the two DDS games
the only characters that managed to change some are Heat and Gale. Yeah, Serph was a missed opprotunity by having him a mute protagonist with most of the big twists in DDS2. Argilla didn't change a lick between the two games outside of her seldom mentioned reluctance to devour (which was fixed within the first fifth of DDS1), Cielo, for all intents and purposes, lived and died (and was resurrected) as the rastafarian jokester that got serious every now and then, Ronald... yeah, and villians like Jenna were virtually the same throughout both installments.

In P3's case...
pretty much every main character outside of Koromaru changed drastically from the beginning of the game to the end of the game, biggest examples being Junpei (even without his relationship with Chidori) and Mitsuru. Chidori aside, even Strega had their moments of development to distinguish themselves beyond villains with zero motivation.

Just because you didn't like the P3 characters that much doesn't mean that they had no development. Hell, the characters in P3 get more development than a vast majority of characters in video games in general.

However, Innocent Sin -> Eternal Punishment definitely is a piece of evidence for your original point.
Although, I don't know whether EP was fully planned from the beginning, like DDS2, or if it was made in response to the popularity of IS.

Well, according to the interview with Cozy and Kaneko that came with P2:EP, it was a little bit of both. The scope of the P2 got way too big for IS alone, so they decided to make and release the EP portion to finish off the rest of the story. Of course, if it had sufficient popularity, that could have facilitated things as well.

Error said:
Persona 1--->Persona 2

I haven't played the other games you listed, but Persona 1 -> Persona 2 is not what I would consider a minimal upgrade, not like what SMT1->SMT2 sounds like. Persona 1 had first person dungeons and a weird abstract overworld. Persona 2 had 3rd person 3d environments, dumped the positioning element of combat, introduced the rumor system, was (half) about adults, and had tons of awesome new music(oh how I long for the days when Meguro was not the only Megaten series composer).

However, Innocent Sin -> Eternal Punishment definitely is a piece of evidence for your original point.
Although, I don't know whether EP was fully planned from the beginning, like DDS2, or if it was made in response to the popularity of IS.

suzu

yay P4!!! :] Using glasses to summon...? Hah. I like the new protagonist's look though.

lol @ the disco mickey mouse persona.

Alts

Has the mother's side of the family been described yet? Are they just another commu, or something different?

Himuro said:
I'm tired of this character designer man. These characters and their Persona look so fucking generic.

After one game? Because i KNOW you didnt play stella deus or ACE 3.

His art style is pretty distinct, I dont see how you can call it generic.

sakuragi

Banned
MechaX said:
... Wait, what?

With the two DDS games
the only characters that managed to change some are Heat and Gale. Yeah, Serph was a missed opprotunity by having him a mute protagonist with most of the big twists in DDS2. Argilla didn't change a lick between the two games outside of her seldom mentioned reluctance to devour (which was fixed within the first fifth of DDS1), Cielo, for all intents and purposes, lived and died (and was resurrected) as the rastafarian jokester that got serious every now and then, Ronald... yeah, and villians like Jenna were virtually the same throughout both installments.

In P3's case...
pretty much every main character outside of Koromaru changed drastically from the beginning of the game to the end of the game, biggest examples being Junpei (even without his relationship with Chidori) and Mitsuru. Chidori aside, even Strega had their moments of development to distinguish themselves beyond villains with zero motivation.

Just because you didn't like the P3 characters that much doesn't mean that they had no development. Hell, the characters in P3 get more development than a vast majority of characters in video games in general.

Well, according to the interview with Cozy and Kaneko that came with P2:EP, it was a little bit of both. The scope of the P2 got way too big for IS alone, so they decided to make and release the EP portion to finish off the rest of the story. Of course, if it had sufficient popularity, that could have facilitated things as well.

Im sorry but I really don't count generic characters and their cliche character developments.
the kid that seeks revenge on the guy who kills his parent and then forgives the bad guy at the last moment ( who is actually good). Mitsuru, the ice cold babe that has a dark secret and bares a huge responsibility, then shows her weak side to the guy she likes. The android girl with no hearts then suddenly feels human emotions. Junpei, the hero's best friend who is weaker than him and envy him, and also happens to fall in love with the enemy... ect. When I played the game I yawned and said: been there, done that.
Dont get me wrong, character development in P3 are indeed plenty and maybe more than other games, but yet they sucked. Quality over quantity comes into mind.

The youtube scans video says this takes place two years after P3. Does it?
Also, the trailer will be on the first DVD of Trinity Soul. (Fogive me if this was already posted)

MechaX

sakuragi said:
Im sorry but I really don't count generic characters and their cliche character developments.
the kid that seeks revenge on the guy who kills his parent and then forgives the bad guy at the last moment ( who is actually good). Mitsuru, the ice cold babe that has a dark secret and bares a huge responsibility, then shows her weak side to the guy she likes. The android girl with no hearts then suddenly feels human emotions. Junpei, the hero's best friend who is weaker than him and envy him, and also happens to fall in love with the enemy... ect. When I played the game I yawned and said: been there, done that.

Ken forgiving the murderer of his parents at the last moment? Don't you even remember that Shinjiro died before Ken could have really made up his mind and that Akihiko was the one who had to set things straight with him? Of course, when the guy whom you were trying to take revenge on for a great majority of your life dies right in front of you due to someone else, Ken's change into letting it go was a pretty mature twist for an elementary school kid.

Then there's Mitsuru.
Of course, "showing her weak side to guy she likes" isn't even that dominant considering that the MC doesn't even have to date her (IE, the time where those "weak sides" would be the most likely to show up). She changed gradually over the course of the game by associating more and more with Yukari and even finding a valued friend in someone like her.

In Junpei's case,
it took months for him to come to terms with his own abilities and be man enough to admit that the MC might have been better than he was. Not to mention, evidence near the end of the game confirms that Junpei has a much more focused perspective on events when compared to his "don't give a fuck" attitude towards the beginning of the game.

For Aegis, FES is the only answer.

Dont get me wrong, character development in P3 are indeed plenty and maybe more than other games, but yet they sucked. Quality over quantity comes into mind.

I can deal with your dislike of the characters in-of-themselves. However, your words barely can hold a bit of dust when you say how much they suck when citing a game that had even worse character development (with no real examples to the contrary). Obviously, "character development" isn't the word you want to be using for this matter.

ethelred

I think the art here on display is pretty excellent, personally. Not quite what I'd term stellar, but incredibly far from "generic" -- it's distinctive, sharp, stylistic. I like it a lot.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Himuro said:
I'm tired of this character designer man. These characters and their Persona look so fucking generic.
generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic generic.

why is it that word is thrown around so much?

Himuro said:

The P4 designs are pretty close to generic in my opinion, lacking the character that P3's had, but I do think Soejima has some talent. Soejima's style is refined and attractive.

2e5s1fs.jpg
33mano2.jpg
14t605g.jpg
xfq2w4.jpg
vh6e1d.jpg
2povb0m.jpg

However, it simply doesn't stand up to comparison with the master.

29w9u80.jpg
23lxzzt.jpg
1432ucm.jpg
5ahl3k.jpg
30dcow6.jpg

You don't see character designs like Kaneko's anywhere else.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
nah I disagree, I love Soejima art and I hope he continues doing Persona art.

sakuragi

Banned
MechaX said:
Ken forgiving the murderer of his parents at the last moment? Don't you even remember that Shinjiro died before Ken could have really made up his mind and that Akihiko was the one who had to set things straight with him? Of course, when the guy whom you were trying to take revenge on for a great majority of your life dies right in front of you due to someone else, Ken's change into letting it go was a pretty mature twist for an elementary school kid.

Then there's Mitsuru.
Of course, "showing her weak side to guy she likes" isn't even that dominant considering that the MC doesn't even have to date her (IE, the time where those "weak sides" would be the most likely to show up). She changed gradually over the course of the game by associating more and more with Yukari and even finding a valued friend in someone like her.

In Junpei's case,
it took months for him to come to terms with his own abilities and be man enough to admit that the MC might have been better than he was. Not to mention, evidence near the end of the game confirms that Junpei has a much more focused perspective on events when compared to his "don't give a fuck" attitude towards the beginning of the game.

For Aegis, FES is the only answer.

I can deal with your dislike of the characters in-of-themselves. However, your words barely can hold a bit of dust when you say how much they suck when citing a game that had even worse character development (with no real examples to the contrary). Obviously, "character development" isn't the word you want to be using for this matter.

My apologies for the few errors as I have a very short memory and the characters didn't really gave me a reason to remember them.

In regards to DDS, I really liked how all of the characters change in DDS and how they didn't have a clue about their past and who they really were until later in the game, their story and character development kind of resembles lost the tv series in a way but quite different. Also when they were introduced to us at the start of the games, they were shocked and scared that they found out that they are monsters and didn't want to feed on other people and were reluctant to until they couldn't help their hunger and urge to feed. They continued to feed while always feeling guilty, they were monsters yet they still had some humanity, unlike the others. Their existence in the junkyard and the kill or be killed mentality was the only reality to them and forced them to change. I played the game a very long time ago and that was my best memory of the game :)

MechaX

Himuro said:
Compared to the SMT character and demon designs I'm used to, I'd definitely say they're at the very least unimaginative. I just don't like that guy's style at all. Persona 3's character designs were really good, but so far 4's look absolutely terribly plain aside from the main character.

I didn't like Stella Deus art either.

While Kaneko art is pretty cool, if Devil Summoner: Kuzunoha Raidou was any indication, the guy's running low on (creative) fuel. At this point, I'd prefer Soeijima due to how I seriously doubt Kaneko could make art up to his heyday with the Persona games and Nocturne (And most of the designs in DDS).

sakuragi said:
My apologies for the few errors as I have a very short memory and the characters didn't really gave me a reason to remember them.

In regards to DDS, I really liked how all of the characters change in DDS and how they didn't have a clue about their past and who they really were until later in the game, their story and character development kind of resembles lost the tv series in a way but quite different. Also when they were introduced to us at the start of the games, they were shocked and scared that they found out that they are monsters and didn't want to feed on other people and were reluctant to until they couldn't help their hunger and urge to feed. They continued to feed while always feeling guilty, they were monsters yet they still had some humanity, unlike the others. Their existence in the junkyard and the kill or be killed mentality was the only reality to them and forced them to change. I played the game a very long time ago and that was my best memory of the game :)

The only issue with the way that was presented in the DDS games was that outside of Heat, Gale, and Argilla's reluctance to feed, it was completely inconsequential in comparison to progressing the plot. Yeah, Argilla did express some guilt over essentially eating other human beings out of necessity, but it becomes an issue when no other character even cares, and subsequently, Argilla herself stops caring either. None of the party members display any sign of guilt later in the story or through most of DDS2 (One would think that Sera would have had a little bit of something to say about the feeding, but oddly enough.. she never did).

As for the characters remembering their pasts, only Heat really changed in a dynamic fashion. Hell, Cielo's past was attributed to a single sentence given by an NPC and nothing further.

The DDS games' main issue wasn't so much the plot (which was pretty good in its own right), but rather that the plot pretty much swept away each and every character in the course of things, which is a big difference from the characters treading or actively involving themselves in the plot's progression without being mere plot devices. ... And that sounded like something that should have been in an English class, or something, but that's the best way I can explain it.

Top Bottom