• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu thread of Persona 4 raditude

Vorador

Banned
Sep 20, 2007
2,904
0
0
PALand, the ass of the gaming world
Bebpo said:
I'm pretty disappointed Atlus has become EA and is just farming out quick and non-risky sequel for profit.

Would it have killed them to use the P3 engine and make a Persona game that was DIFFERENT than 3? Instead of just P3 with a new skin. There's already been two P3 games, three is really pushing it. :\

SMT4 better be crazy as hell and make up for this.
....

Are you serious? >_<
 

vas_a_morir

Banned
Jul 4, 2006
31,006
0
0
I almost made a "LPF: Persona 3" (Last-Place finish) Because, I played the hell out of it the first 3 days I had it, then school started, and I didn't play it until last week. I was like "shit, how did I forget about this game? It's amazing" and my friend who quit, too, said "shit, I don't know why I quit. It's great" Just, it's not a sit down for an hour and play game.

P4 has delayed my suicide for yet another year.
 

birdchili

Member
Sep 18, 2005
3,210
0
0
Schopenhauer said:
At 1.5x the size of P3 this is really going to be a killer.
if it actually has 1.5x the *stuff* in it, then i'm ok.

they could have made p3 1.5x bigger by adding the following line of code:

n*=1.5;
 
Jun 11, 2005
7,644
0
1,400
Bebpo said:
I'm pretty disappointed Atlus has become EA and is just farming out quick and non-risky sequel for profit.

Would it have killed them to use the P3 engine and make a Persona game that was DIFFERENT than 3? Instead of just P3 with a new skin. There's already been two P3 games, three is really pushing it. :\

SMT4 better be crazy as hell and make up for this.
Oh bebpo, never change <3
 

Danj

Member
May 11, 2005
10,498
0
0
Cambridge, UK
www.animeonuk.tv
Freedom = $1.05 said:
Kotaku has scans up for this, folks.
Which they took from that Akayuki blog that was posted earlier, which stole it FROM HERE! :D (well the text was stolen from here, as for the scans they must have been listening in on IRC or reading 2ch or something)
 

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Jul 6, 2005
91,412
0
0
31
Bebpo saying what he said and then saying the game is really good doesn't really conflict in my eyes...the game can be the best RPG ever without really being fresh or daring.

But I don't really know that it isn't fresh or daring...
 

Xelinis

Junior Member
Nov 23, 2007
1,777
4
935
Any word any the style of music this time around? Meguro is a very talented composer but, to be perfectly honest, the jpop-ish theme of the last game wasn't my cup of tea.
 

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Jun 9, 2005
34,533
0
0
34
Puerto Rico
twitter.com
Y2Kev said:
Bebpo saying what he said and then saying the game is really good doesn't really conflict in my eyes...the game can be the best RPG ever without really being fresh or daring.

But I don't really know that it isn't fresh or daring...
nah just find it hilarious, because he eats up N1 games that dont look much better than your average saturn game even on PS3.

and P4 looks better than P3 to me graphically.
 
Jul 22, 2007
20,049
0
0
Danj said:
Which they took from that Akayuki blog that was posted earlier, which stole it FROM HERE! :D (well the text was stolen from here, as for the scans they must have been listening in on IRC or reading 2ch or something)
Should've seen this coming. GAF->Internet->GAF
 

Avalon

Member
Jul 22, 2006
3,470
0
0
Y2Kev said:
]
But I don't really know that it isn't fresh or daring...
You never dried P3?

The game looks really rad and the main character doesn't look like a queer. :D

I hope they add more exploration, more challenging battle system, more ways to advance social links (or whatever they are calling them in this game) and more variety throughout the game (doing the same exact thing for 90 hours does get old... just a little.).
 

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Jul 6, 2005
91,412
0
0
31
Error said:
nah just find it hilarious, because he eats up N1 games that dont look much better than your average saturn game even on PS3.

and P4 looks better than P3 to me graphically.
N1 lol

Avalon said:
You never dried P3?

The game looks really rad and the main character doesn't look like a queer. :D

I hope they add more exploration, more challenging battle system, more ways to advance social links (or whatever they are calling them in this game) and more variety throughout the game (doing the same exact thing for 90 hours does get old... just a little.).
I did try P3, but P4 being P3 again would negate it being fresh and daring.
 

kenta

Has no PEINS
Jan 27, 2005
8,490
0
0
I need to play Persona 3, I originally wrote it off but as I look into it more I see stuff I like. Non-random battles, only directly controlling one character, the school stuff affecting the RPG side, etc. Seems neat and I like the sound of Persona 4.

There is combat outside of the one single tower, right? If not, I sure hope there's something to spice it up
 

Augemitbutter

Member
Feb 3, 2008
17,069
0
0
Xelinis said:
Any word any the style of music this time around? Meguro is a very talented composer but, to be perfectly honest, the jpop-ish theme of the last game wasn't my cup of tea.
same here. but to tell you the truth, it grew on me.

i dont think there will be a big change in music. the scans suggest a continuation in overall style. i dont see a reason why they would differ greatly. maybe theyll make a cut on the rap, but thats about it.

the arrange disc of P3s soundtrack is brilliant.
 

Danj

Member
May 11, 2005
10,498
0
0
Cambridge, UK
www.animeonuk.tv
kenta said:
There is combat outside of the one single tower, right? If not, I sure hope there's something to spice it up
The fullmoon events are usually outside the tower, yeah, and there's enough variety as you go up the floors in the tower that it doesn't get overly boring.
 

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Sep 14, 2005
43,287
0
0
36
Osaka, Japan
www.playism-games.com
Vorador said:
Why "Ew"? The other Megaten games had multiple endings unlike P3, and it actually gives you a good reason for multiple playtroughs trough the game.
Not all of us have the time to play through a 70 hour game 3 times, let alone once.

Multiple endings do nothing but tug at our OCD side, and make us unhappy.

(I wonder how many hyped people in this thread even knew about Persona before P3...)
 

mollipen

Member
Oct 7, 2005
19,775
2
810
Silent Hill
morningproject.com
I can feel for those who wanted something different from P4, and I'm a bit sad that this isn't on the PS3 instead of PS2.

That said, social links return, school setting returns, and a bunch of other great new stuff no doubt being added in the process. No way in hell am I going to bitch about that. I'd really love to see Atlus go all out with the social link aspect, however. Let me continue to hang out with people after the main part of their link is finished. Let me actually decide on one of the girls to be "my girl," so that the pimping on girls aspect doesn't have to feel quite as empty as it does. (But still let players mack on all the ladies if that's what they want.)

Most of all, I'd love to see direct social links with every party member, and have those links also effect how the team interacts. So, say, if my social link with a party member is high, we work together better in battle or whatnot.
 

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Feb 14, 2008
10,173
0
930
epmode said:
P3 was enough of a departure from Persona (and JRPGs in general) for me to give P4 a pass.
Strange, that's pretty much exactly the reason I loved it so much.

After 120 hours of P3, and who knows what I'll put into FES (though probably not 120), it would be nice to get something a bit different, but by the time this comes out in the US I'll be ready for more.
 

vas_a_morir

Banned
Jul 4, 2006
31,006
0
0
Monroeski said:
Strange, that's pretty much exactly the reason I loved it so much.

After 120 hours of P3, and who knows what I'll put into FES (though probably not 120), it would be nice to get something a bit different, but by the time this comes out in the US I'll be ready for more.
I didn't realize what the compendium was until the last month of the game, so now I have to replay. I must have glossed over it when they explained it. Then I saw how deep it was with the system of fusing. LIke a nice puzzle game to get the one you want.
 

Roland

Member
Mar 4, 2006
536
0
0
How about the dungeons? Random dungeons was the biggest problem I had with P3. Did Atlus hire some level designers?
 

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Nov 22, 2007
19,599
1
1,070
thetrin said:
(I wonder how many hyped people in this thread even knew about Persona before P3...)
I've played Persona since the first one, but does it really matter? People can be excited about games and features even without prior knowledge of a series, no need for this kind of elitism. :/

Imagine how the game industry would be if the only people getting interested in Final Fantasy, etc, were the ones who played those games since the first installment.
 

rollingstart

Banned
Dec 12, 2006
38,766
1
0
eviloreisarapist
Im more excited for Persona 4 than VP DS. I dont care too much about the graphics of Persona 4 and I think it looks fine and at least from the screens and bit of info it sounds like it will be cool.

Initial D for DS doesnt look THAT terrible.
 

TreIII

Member
May 15, 2006
17,478
0
0
36
shidoshi said:
I can feel for those who wanted something different from P4, and I'm a bit sad that this isn't on the PS3 instead of PS2.
Honestly though, I couldn't imagine this any other way, on both counts.

When P3 came out, and people ate it up, Atlus, obviously, knew that they had a hit on their hands. The world of Persona, melded with "simulife/ADV" type gameplay. What was NOT for the Japanese fanbase to like? And what was to not be expected that Atlus was going to do more to provide "more of the same" for people to buy more of?

And as for the PS2 thing...since the initial announcement was made like back in December, I would have thought that most people would have come to grips with that facet by now...

But hey, at least SMT4 is probably going to be PS3. And by then, hopefully it will usher in a new trend for the series.

That said, social links return, school setting returns, and a bunch of other great new stuff no doubt being added in the process. No way in hell am I going to bitch about that. I'd really love to see Atlus go all out with the social link aspect, however. Let me continue to hang out with people after the main part of their link is finished. Let me actually decide on one of the girls to be "my girl," so that the pimping on girls aspect doesn't have to feel quite as empty as it does. (But still let players mack on all the ladies if that's what they want.)

Most of all, I'd love to see direct social links with every party member, and have those links also effect how the team interacts. So, say, if my social link with a party member is high, we work together better in battle or whatnot.
Now, THIS, is definitely something that I would like to see, as well.

I mean, as long as the social links are a definitive part of the game, they might as well utilize it to its fullest. Maybe there could be specific Fusion Spells or AI patterns for if you really do a bang up job with making sure certain members of you crew were your definite road-dogs, or, like you suggest, have a designated "down-ass". :lol :lol
 

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Jun 10, 2004
27,927
0
0
*thumbs up for this news*

Would have been hot on PS3, but the PS2's soul still burns bright.
 

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Nov 22, 2007
19,599
1
1,070
Make that extra 1.5x include the possibility of lovey lovey hanging out with dudes instead of only girls, Atlus. I know I'm not the only one!
 

sakuragi

Banned
Jan 4, 2007
899
0
0
Originally Posted by thetrin:
I wonder how many hyped people in this thread even knew about Persona before P3...)
OMG look at me, im so cool because I know Persona before you do. I'm also better than you because I played it in Japanese. :lol
 

noonche

Member
Jul 13, 2006
1,235
0
0
Hmm, I'd very much prefer a return to P1 and P2 Sin and Punishment gameplay, but I'll probably get this on release, what else am I going to be doing in July?
 

crowphoenix

Banned
Aug 5, 2007
11,563
0
0
Auburn, Al
thetrin said:
Not all of us have the time to play through a 70 hour game 3 times, let alone once.

Multiple endings do nothing but tug at our OCD side, and make us unhappy.

(I wonder how many hyped people in this thread even knew about Persona before P3...)
I've bought ever Persona game day 1. I really love this series though 1 and 2 are really feeling their age. I've always enjoyed this series because of its setting in the modern world-- not to mention its dark and morbid storyline. P2:EP was such a scary game. The Joker was such a freaky character.
 

Vorador

Banned
Sep 20, 2007
2,904
0
0
PALand, the ass of the gaming world
thetrin said:
Not all of us have the time to play through a 70 hour game 3 times, let alone once.

Multiple endings do nothing but tug at our OCD side, and make us unhappy.

(I wonder how many hyped people in this thread even knew about Persona before P3...)
Well no one obliges you to get all the endings, i don't think i will do it myself, but i always love to see more content. (and you can always watch the rest of the endings in youtube if you want)

Having a lot of multiple endings didn't stop Chrono Trigger being one of the best jrpgs ever. So for me multiple endings is not a bad thing by itself.
 

Paznos

Member
Nov 18, 2007
3,777
0
0
Alaluef said:
Make that extra 1.5x include the possibility of lovey lovey hanging out with dudes instead of only girls, Atlus. I know I'm not the only one!
Your right, you aren't the only one. That would be awesome.
 

king zell

Member
Jun 6, 2004
3,408
0
0
36
cw_sasuke said:
which games are featured ?
Blue Dragon Plus
FRONT MISSION 2089
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicle:young king
ONE PIECE&#12288;UNLIMITED CRUISE
DRAGONBALL Z BURSTLIMIT
Star Ocean 2 remake
 

ukiraros

Member
Sep 20, 2007
369
0
0
MA
kiryogi said:
On the Seiyuu side of things... We have Yui Horie, Showtaro Morikubo, Maeda Ai, Paku Romi, Oohara Sayaka, Kugimiya Rie, Kanda Akemi, Koshimizu Ami for P4. <3

<3



duckroll said:
Persona 4 (PS2)

- Trailer on DVD
- July 10th release
- 85% Complete
- Looks like Persona 3 but better
- 180+ Personas
- Hashino is directing, Soejima is art director and character designer, Meguro is composing

- Takes place in the countryside, a more nostalgic environment
- The theme is murder mystery/suspense, it's a mystery thriller with twists and turns
- Multiple endings
- 1.5x the size of P3
- 60-70 hours
- There is a weather forecast system, and whenever there is a fog, a murder occurs.
Oh, baby I can't wait. Bring to the US ASAP Atlus.
 

mollipen

Member
Oct 7, 2005
19,775
2
810
Silent Hill
morningproject.com
Alaluef said:
Make that extra 1.5x include the possibility of lovey lovey hanging out with dudes instead of only girls, Atlus. I know I'm not the only one!
Honestly, it would be nice to give people the option, or even go so far as to make the character selectable between male and female, changing entirely how social links react to you (unless you decide to go the gay/les route). If you want to be completely ghetto about it, you could do nothing more than tack a few extra "relationship" events on to the end of a social link once it has hit 10.

So, say, you max out your Gourmet King link, then you could decide to engage in a few extra special optional events to work your way to being his favorite food.

(I'd also love to see social links that end up involving somebody else instead of you. Man did I want to hook that one girl up with Mitsuru so bad. *heh*)
 

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Sep 9, 2006
27,410
2
0
king zell said:
Blue Dragon Plus
ONE PIECE&#12288;UNLIMITED CRUISE
DRAGONBALL Z BURSTLIMIT

Nice :)

damn, that no one can post them yet -.-
 

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Jun 10, 2004
27,927
0
0
thetrin said:
Not all of us have the time to play through a 70 hour game 3 times, let alone once.

Multiple endings do nothing but tug at our OCD side, and make us unhappy.

(I wonder how many hyped people in this thread even knew about Persona before P3...)
 

Jirotrom

Member
May 21, 2006
10,800
0
0
36
shidoshi said:
I can feel for those who wanted something different from P4, and I'm a bit sad that this isn't on the PS3 instead of PS2.
yea... im pretty disappointed this isn't on my 360...
 

Yama

Member
Nov 25, 2006
1,530
0
995
New York City
biohaze.com
Does anyone know if it'll use such a systematic system like Tartarus? I want a more free flowing game, like Persona 2. I don't want to do the same thing everyday, with the only events occuring during the full moon. It felt so robotic and layed out, repetitve in a way. I still love the game, for sure, but enjoyed Persona 2 IS and EP much, much more.
 

noonche

Member
Jul 13, 2006
1,235
0
0
I really like the character designs for P4 compared to P3's. I think they look a lot better. Though not even close to as awesome as P2.
 

stawnkald

Member
Nov 15, 2006
596
0
1,110
Arizona
shidoshi said:
(I'd also love to see social links that end up involving somebody else instead of you. Man did I want to hook that one girl up with Mitsuru so bad. *heh*)
So I wasn't the only one! :lol
 

king zell

Member
Jun 6, 2004
3,408
0
0
36
by the way ..

in the next Famitsu there well be a Capcom DVD with new stuff from BioHazard 5 and MHP2G .
 

ethelred

Member
Dec 19, 2005
16,019
1
0
Vorador said:
Well no one obliges you to get all the endings, i don't think i will do it myself, but i always love to see more content. (and you can always watch the rest of the endings in youtube if you want)

Having a lot of multiple endings didn't stop Chrono Trigger being one of the best jrpgs ever. So for me multiple endings is not a bad thing by itself.
Chrono Trigger was also really short, and it got increasingly shorter with each playthrough.