• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu via Kotaku: The Biggest Selling PS4 Games in Japan

poodaddy

I had no idea that CoD and Bethesda titles were popular in Japan. Interesting.

On another note; it's cool to see that The Witcher 3 was pretty well received in Japan. That's pleasantly surprising.

Ratrat

I probably shouldn't add salt to the wound by telling you that Bloodborne was a free pack-in for awhile with new PS4s in Japan, meaning it would have sold even worse otherwise.
Unlike Knack, it was a digital code at select stores and only lasted like 1 or 2 months.

entremet

That will change when much bigger games come out.

I seriously doubt it.

That ship has sailed in Japan.

Even Sony has somewhat admitted it with their recent restructure.

But games are still being made for it by Japanese companies, so it works out for fans.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I seriously doubt it.

But games are still being made for it by Japanese companies, so it works out for fans.

And this is what matters.

wapplew

I seriously doubt it.

That ship is at Asia and SEA now, hopefully they keep getting good result at other regions.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
It's called Xbox 360. Huge success around the world, miserable failure in Japan.
How is PS4 a "miserable failure" in Japan ? Yeah its sales are low as hell, but that's just the Japanese market that just doesn't give a damn about consoles. PS4 is still the monthly top seller in Japan for home consoles. Xbox 360 isn't a comparison.

wrowa

LOL winning most MC threads state otherwise.
You might want to check "most MC threads" again. Except if for some reason you are only looking at home
consoles, which is a pretty meaningless way to view at the current Japanese market.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
How is PS4 a "miserable failure" in Japan ? Yeah its sales are low as hell, but that's just the Japanese market that just doesn't give a damn about consoles. PS4 is still the monthly top seller in Japan for home consoles. Xbox 360 isn't a comparison.
I'm saying the 360 was a miserable failure.

PS4 is not doing well, but it's not a failure of the same level by any means.

Z3M0G

I thought MGS wasn't that big in Japan for some reason...

And Knack at #2? Bundles?
I love the game, don't get me wrong!

entremet

Being number 1 doesn't matter in the scheme of things when the market for home consoles in Japan has shrunk so low.

shira

My boy knack! Now wheres the sequel

Knack 2: The Paddywhack
facepalm.gif

Squalor

Metal Gear Solid V is deservedly number one.

I'm disappointed Japan didn't embrace Bloodborne a little more, though.

plan9

Japan buying Sony hardware and not software in proportional amounts has baffled me for years, and continues to baffle me. The last Media Create charts had PS4 hardware itself selling more units than top-selling PS4 software sold for example. The hell they do with these systems out there?

PS4 hardware at 2.5m sold and only 6 games manage to sell more than 200k units.. SMH

Dio

Banned
Japan buying Sony hardware and not software in proportional amounts has baffled me for years, and continues to baffle me. The last Media Create charts had PS4 hardware itself selling more units than top-selling PS4 software sold for example. The hell they do with these systems out there?

In terms of the PS4, I assume they're buying them in preparation for upcoming titles. I can totally understand being excited for Ys 8 and Star Ocean 5 and Dragon Quest 11 and Trails of Cold Steel 3 and Nier 2 and Ni-Oh and buying one preemptively.

Erevador

Wait for Final Fantasy.

lupinko

Nah, COD (and GTA) are quite popular here in Japan, especially among the youth. Many kids and teenagers who still play console and have a PlayStation all play COD just like their peers in Western countries.

Sorry J-gamers, but demographics are a changing in Japan. *shrugs*

That ship is at Asia and SEA now, hopefully they keep getting good result at other regions.

I agree. SNK Playmore had been obtained by a Chinese company called Ledo Millennium not too long ago.

I can see other Japanese 3rd party publishers like Sega, Tecmo-Koei, & Capcom start to slowly shift away from Japan in the near future as the other parts of Asia are paying a lot more attention to their games & will make them more money. Even Namco Bandai & Square-Enix might.

A few notes for those unfamiliar with Media Create threads:

- It has been mentioned, but Knack was a physical pack-in at launch. It would have sold significantly worse without that boost.
- Digital sales typically add ~10% total sales, this can vary depending on the supply issues at launch and the type of game.
- PS4 has had very, very little in the way of appealing Japanese support come out so far, you can see that it has roughly half western developed games in its Top 20.
- Bloodborne sales would likely be slightly higher (maybe 10-20k) if it wasn't included as a digital pack-in for sometime last summer.

A few notes for those unfamiliar with Media Create threads:

- It has been mentioned, but Knack was a physical pack-in at launch. It would have sold significantly worse without that boost.
- Digital sales typically add ~10% total sales, this can vary depending on the supply issues at launch and the type of game.
- PS4 has had very, very little in the way of appealing Japanese support come out so far, you can see that it has roughly half western developed games in its Top 20.
- Bloodborne sales would likely be slightly higher (maybe 10-20k) if it wasn't included as a digital pack-in for sometime last summer.

The fact that half of the chart is from Western developers actually show how Japanese people find those game appealing. Call of Duty was selling 500k+ units during its peak of popularity; GTAV is one of PS3 best selling games.

Top Bottom