• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fan makes a remake of Zelda Ocarina of Time using Unreal Engine 4 (incomplete for now).

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Something about those character models in this... I suppose it's the lighting... looks very strange. Impressive to see this made by, what is it, just one fan? Nice! Might not be the best idea to reveal it before it's done though, since, you know, this is a Nintendo game. Hope there's no C&D.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Good effort for a fan thingie. Link looks scary though haha. Won't get finished of course. Wouldnt buy it if it was official, not good enough and far worse than nintendo's own remasters that got bashed for looking off obviously. Also far worse than the famous Majora's Mask fan thingie. Also kinda pointless to go for this level of fidelity but then keep the same simple and blocky layouts, if N64 had the power for it then OoT would have had more natural and impressive environments for sure. The bits that made this feel best were the sounds and stuff lifted off the game. Still impressive he got all the mechanics programmed, even if not quite there yet. Edit: oh he's got a patreon for it? Yeah C&D incoming, deservedly so.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
just wanted to say that setting up a patreon to make things that are copy righted should be looked at legally same as getting paid to sell it. should be illegal.
Woah, he's got a Patreon for this? Didn't catch that part, thanks for pointing it out. I'm in agreement, that's a line crossed.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
E7diY6v.jpg

Nightmare fuel.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Uh, nintendo can't do shit.

Kenpachii Kenpachii They can. Whether they "will" is another story.

The absolute bottom line is that if you make a game or film with an established, trademarked I.P.(Intellectual Property for those wondering) you run the risk
of being sued/shut down.

Take a look at Disney and Mickey Mouse. There's a very big reason you don't see Mickey Mouse being used in "fan" projects-movies, animated shorts, games, etc under
any circumstances. They run the risk of losing the trademark or it becoming "diluted" Trademark/I.P. "dilution"

I love fan projects. I really do.

However, the time and effort(sometimes years) to make your game or movie with an established, already owned IP is IMO not smart. You're risking it getting shut
down at any moment.

You're better off making/establishing your own character and then go about getting it protected via trademark IP to grow your creation.

Cheers.

Pejo

I'd rather them make a game based on the Ben creepypasta instead of the game in ultra realistic settings.

Kenpachii

Kenpachii Kenpachii They can. Whether they "will" is another story.

The absolute bottom line is that if you make a game or film with an established, trademarked I.P.(Intellectual Property for those wondering) you run the risk
of being sued/shut down.

Take a look at Disney and Mickey Mouse. There's a very big reason you don't see Mickey Mouse being used in "fan" projects-movies, animated shorts, games, etc under
any circumstances. They run the risk of losing the trademark or it becoming "diluted" Trademark/I.P. "dilution"

I love fan projects. I really do.

However, the time and effort(sometimes years) to make your game or movie with an established, already owned IP is IMO not smart. You're risking it getting shut
down at any moment.

You're better off making/establishing your own character and then go about getting it protected via trademark IP to grow your creation.

Cheers.

That's only if you are dumb enough to remake a game and sell it for money under your own name or start a company with it.

There is nothing nintendo can do about fanmade projects even remotely.

He can release the video's under a name user1, and nintendo sends him a angry letter from a lawyer. What they going to do sue user1? that's on a random ip? who is he? yea there you go.

And what if user1 just says, sure i will stop, user2 pops up next day and releases the next part. Or he just goes offline entirely and leaks the entire game when its done anyway? Who's going to stop him from building more? nobody. Because they have no clue who the fuck this guy even is. Could be some guy from the office over there.

There is nothing they can do, because they have no clue who this guy is. Or if it even is a guy and not multiple people.

Back in the day when i was developing mods for games, we had shared accounts to post stuff with. 1 account name could also engulve multiple people that nobody knew anything about.

But even if he used his real name to get famous he could just say, k i quit and use a random online name and pretends it's not him. what you going to do about it? nothing.

Getting people convincted is also extremely hard in this manner for nintendo, that's why they almost never go after people to start with.

U could for example, get a debitcard from your bank, use it for all illigal transactions that gets the cops on you. And u still will not be arrested because u could say i am not the only one that uses the card.

The only way to get stuff like this culled is to push them outside of there basements with bullshit bait to get them to showcase themselves forwards. The thing what valve did with half life 2 leak for example. flattered the guy and wanted to give him a job just to push him on US soil know who he is and to arrest him.

Or run on sympathy that they need to shut down because it damages them in such a way people feel bad for them.

What blizzard did with vanilla, and they provided at the end what gamers wanted out of the community on top of it.

Last edited:

garballax

That's only if you are dumb enough to remake a game and sell it for money under your own name or start a company with it.

There is nothing nintendo can do about fanmade projects even remotely.

He can release the video's under a name user1, and nintendo sends him a angry letter from a lawyer. What they going to do sue user1? that's on a random ip? who is he? yea there you go.

And what if user1 just says, sure i will stop, user2 pops up next day and releases the next part. Or he just goes offline entirely and leaks the entire game when its done anyway? Who's going to stop him from building more? nobody. Because they have no clue who the fuck this guy even is. Could be some guy from the office over there.

There is nothing they can do, because they have no clue who this guy is. Or if it even is a guy and not multiple people.

Back in the day when i was developing mods for games, we had shared accounts to post stuff with. 1 account name could also engulve multiple people that nobody knew anything about.

But even if he used his real name to get famous he could just say, k i quit and use a random online name and pretends it's not him. what you going to do about it? nothing.

Getting people convincted is also extremely hard in this manner for nintendo, that's why they almost never go after people to start with.

U could for example, get a debitcard from your bank, use it for all illigal transactions that gets the cops on you. And u still will not be arrested because u could say i am not the only one that uses the card.

The only way to get stuff like this culled is to push them outside of there basements with bullshit bait to get them to showcase themselves forwards. The thing what valve did with half life 2 leak for example. flattered the guy and wanted to give him a job just to push him on US soil know who he is and to arrest him.

Or run on sympathy that they need to shut down because it damages them in such a way people feel bad for them.

What blizzard did with vanilla, and they provided at the end what gamers wanted out of the community on top of it.
...do you not know what happened to AM2R? nintendo sends out DMCA takedowns like candy.

I remember walking around kakariko village with this. I wonder how far you can play into the game now. If he's only at the deku tree we still got a lonnnnnnng time to wait

This guy is Nintendo 2.0.

Also, when is Nintendo releasing Huge Titted Dominatrix Peach's Adventure?

Last edited:

peronmls

I don’t know why they think making look more “realistic” makes the game looks better. Looking at games like KHIII and DQXI, you can still use UE4 with interesting artstyle.
KH3 and DQXI artstyle are not that different. One has outlines the other doesn't.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
KH3 and DQXI artstyle are not that different. One has outlines the other doesn't.
Not really, have you watched the movie called “The Good Dinosaur”? It has very cartoony looking characters but environments are hyper realistic, the characters look so out of place in that movie, that how felt when watching this footage.

Phase

Hell yeah, looks all bad.
I think the only problem is the look of genericness from the unreal engine, but by no means does this look bad. If you're expecting it to look like Crysis and have updated gameplay I'm not sure what to tell you.

This is how my nostalgic memory remembers the game on N64. It’s Pretty darn cool The things he’s done here. It’s amazing to think I’d the things Nintendo did with the tech available at the time. The lack of jank and reliability of control in the original (from memory at least) is remarkable.

Last edited:

Milpool

Looks pretty good for a fan made project, feel free to post videos of your fan made efforts of the remakes your working on 😜

Looks pretty bad for a fan made project, feel free to post videos of your fan made efforts of the remakes your working on 😜

Joking aside, I thought it looked decent in the Gerudo Valley vid he posted in 2016 not long after he started the project (apart from the ott heat haze effect). But as it's expanded the style has become more and more disjointed and cobbled together. Hopefully he can land a job somewhere off the back of it though.

How many people are working on this now?

NAI1210

Looks pretty bad for a fan made project, feel free to post videos of your fan made efforts of the remakes your working on 😜

Joking aside, I thought it looked decent in the Gerudo Valley vid he posted in 2016 not long after he started the project (apart from the ott heat haze effect). But as it's expanded the style has become more and more disjointed and cobbled together. Hopefully he can land a job somewhere off the back of it though.

How many people are working on this now?
Wow 2016, haven't been following it, Im always impressed by fans remakes of games in newer engines, probably just a couple of people working on it,what really doesn't impress me as much as when company's hit them with a c and d order and make the remake themselves, Nintendo should have let the fan made Metroid 2 remake happen and release their own one aswell, same with resi2 remake I love the capcom game, but would love to see the fan remake that was getting made for years I assume they got hit with a c and d order aswell 😔

Rat Rage

Unimpressive and appalling. This is a good example of why graphics technology in itself is meaningless, if you lack artistic skills. Zelda's visual style has always been so much more than just technology. It's the artstyle that makes Zelda unique and gives it soul.

This little showcase is just soulless.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
The graphics are technically good, but it feels so generic...

If Nintendo remakes this game again, I hope they don't use Unreal Engine.

Top Bottom