• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy and Science Fiction books worth reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilikeme

What are some good fantasy anthologies?
jRihd.jpg

Amazon link

It introduced me to two fantastic storywriters.. I'm very critical and looking for specific vibes and styles so that's a lot for me! :)

The favourites are the oldest ones in the collection: George MacDonalds' - The Golden Key (1867) Lord Dunsany's - Hoard of the Gibbelins (1912)

I've only read about half the stories so far so I'm sure I'll find some other gems. And it's given me a great overview of some of the changes the genre has gone through, both in style and content of the stories. The anthology spans from the above-mentioned through 4 stories from the 30-40s and at least one for the rest of the decades. Definitely worth a read for anyone interested in the genre.

But as always with an anthology, be prepared to be bored or mildly uninterested by half of the stories. Then there's that lovely other half! :)

Fedos

I really had problems with book 1 in this series. It was so dense that I just didn't feel like I was "getting it." I've seen some indication that I should stick it out, that it gets better after book 1. The big issue I have is whether I can invest that kind of time when I have 100s of other books to read.

Sigh...

I'd say, stick it out until at least reading the third book, Memories of Ice. And even the second Deadhouse Gates is a marked improvement over the first (even though it takes place on a different continent). I've read up to the fourth book, but that was about two years ago, so now I'm on a re-read and finding it just as amazing.

Angst

Thanks to this thread I've bought Pandora's Star and Altered Carbon, don't make me regret this GAF!

Instead of creating (yet) another fantasy/scifi thread I'm bumping this thread. I want to give my heartfelt thanks to all that recommended Pandora's Star. I'm about halfway through and I absolutely love it! Knowing I have Judas Unchained ahead of me makes me really happy.

Too lazy to search the thread, so i don't know if this has been mentioned yet.

I recently bought this, i think you're gonna like it if you're into cyberpunk.

JTlfm.jpg

edit: nevermind, i'm an ass, it has been mentioned many times, but it can't be said enough!
And once I'm finished with The Commonwealth Saga I'll start on Altered Carbon. Good times ahead!

Meteorain

Here's my little insight on suggestions:

Fantasy

The Farseer Trilogy and The Tawny Man Trilogy - Robin Hobb
Well written set of books with great characterisation, character interaction, pacing and storyline.

Memory, Sorrow and Thorn - Tad Williams
Not even sure why I like the series, the story is typical to what you expect from a fantasy series, but they are superbly written, with rich background details and great world building.

Discworld books - Terry Pratchett
A read you have to experience for yourself. All books are very cleverly written and are never lacking in imagination, humour and wit.

The Children of Hurin - Tolkien
Aside from LOTR and The Hobbit, I feel this is one isn't given enough recognition. Personally I found the story excellent and if you've read all the background lore concerning the deep and vast Middle-Earth world the story here will tingle your lore taste-buds.

The Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan
Now I know this series isn't everyone's cup of tea but personally I'd recommend it to anyone who likes a meaty fantasy series. The first time I read it through I became disenchanted and a little frustrated once I hit about book 8 because it had slowed down considerably (and 10 was the latest one at the time). However upon a recent re-read I've picked up on things I had never had before and am much more appreciative of certain characters and Jordan's storytelling. Also the newer books got rid of many frustrations. Jordan certainly isn't the greatest of writers, but the series is nonetheless entertaining.

His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman
For a long time this was one of my favourite series. It's unique and highly imaginative, with some great characters and world building.

Sci-fi

The Foundation Trilogy - Isaac Asimov
The man is nothing short of a genius. I first read the books when I was a bit too young to appreciate them, but then a few years later I picked it up again and man what a read.

Gaunt's Ghosts - Dan Abnett
You were bound to run into it and so I thought I might as well show you the only author worth reading for this. This series is a Warhammer 40k series and follows the Imperial Guard. Dan Abnett is one of the few writers who's actually any good for a WH author. I particularly love this series as I'm a big fan of the extensive 40k world and the books follow "normal humans" in a world of many overpowering beings. Characters aren't safe and anyone can die in any way possible. If you take the time to read into the background of the universe you will find it's very rich and detailed and you become a little more appreciative of the books and their settings.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I'm currently half way through American Gods and it's beyond awful.

It has boring and unlikeable characters and pages and pages of boring and uninteresting things "happening". Hopefully it improves because at the moment I am flabbergasted by the praise it gets.
Currently listening to it and this is my impression as well. Its nonsensical,and doesn't seem to have any real direction at all.
I just don't think I like Neil Gaimans style of writing..its almost like old folk tales or fables.

Its one of the few books I'm almost at the point of not finishing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Not the craziest thread necromancy ever, but still impressive. Most impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom