• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

Chopper

For the next OT tittle I suggest : That's not an Animal crossing game :p
The game is absolutely nothing like Animal Crossing. Except you have a house you can decorate. And fishing. Don't let that dissuade newcomers though. It's fucking fantastic!

Just reached 40 hours, and within the last hour have mastered Woodcutting, Angling and Blacksmith. Feels good man. I should probably carry the story on now. I've just been rocking around with Odin, polishing off life quests for the last few days.

I see a lot of animal crossing references. Is there an end game? Is there something to strive for besides collecting stuff?

To this game? Yeah, the story is easily completable and you pretty much strive to become God rank for your lifes, basically you are trying to make yourself as strong/best as possible with the best items and equipments, you either find, buy or craft yourself.

Chopper

I see a lot of animal crossing references. Is there an end game? Is there something to strive for besides collecting stuff?
Much more. It's really nothing like Animal Crossing. It's an easy comparison, cos you have a house, you can trade goods and you can fish. I guess it kinda looks similar, if you squint? Yeah, no. The similarities honestly end there.

suzu

It's an Action RPG with some elements of life simulation. I'd compare it to Rune Factory or the Harvest Moon games.

Can't wait to pick up the game on Friday. I'll probably buy the DLC right away.

Kater

Banned
Pam is more annoying than the Gigante. She will probably turn out to be the end boss, stuffing you full of Candy until you die of Diabetes.
I really don't like that character.

PaineReign

Neo Member
So the important question to ask: does anyone know what time this will be available on the US eShop? Do they do midnight or like 9:00am updates?

Chaos17

It's also nothing like Monster Hunter though, come on man lol.

The thread was about games of the "type/genre" like Phantasy Star online or if you prefer the "hunting" type like others said in the thread.
It was not about specificly about Monster hunter serie like this thread is about Fantasy Life.

What we do/have in Fantasy Life like in Monster Hunter like game ?
- Action rpg battle system
- Hunting bosses
- material collecting
- Crafting
- Quests/challenges (job, villagers)
- We have bounties monsters.
- Fishing
- Co-op
- Companions
- Free exploration
Etc...

But yes, you're right they must have nothing in common :)

ramyeon

What we do/have in Fantasy Life like in Monster Hunter ? To be sure I checked these features on Wikipedia.
- Action rpg like battle system
- Hunting bosses
- Crafting
- Quests (job, villagers)
- We have bounties monsters.
- Fishing
- Co-op
- Companions
Etc...

But yes, you're right they've nothing in common :)
Yeah those things are all in both but they work and play totally different lol. Best comparison for this game is Rune Factory.

daydream

Banned
I always call it 'Rune Factory with MMO trappings' and when I say MMO, I specifically think of PSO so.. I think both sides are right in a way. I certainly wouldn't object if someone called it a hunting game, I personally wouldn't simplify it like that.

Anyway, it's more important to not let this game be accused of being Animal Crossing!

Corgi

Banned
oh this is a friday game too? was wondering why there weren't US site reviews.

So people that been playing this a bunch, how does it stack up to runes factory?

Are all the occupations fun? Seems like crafting and cooking is more than just menus, videos make it seem like there are minigames?

Is combat any good? Looks kinda... mediocre, like an afterthought like Recettear.

Chaos17

oh this is a friday game too? was wondering why there weren't US site reviews.

So people that been playing this a bunch, how does it stack up to runes factory?

Are all the occupations fun? Seems like crafting and cooking is more than just menus, videos make it seem like there are minigames?

Is combat any good? Looks kinda... mediocre, like an afterthought like Recettear.

Unfortunaly Rune Factory 4 is not out in EU so I can't tell the you. I can only suggest you to read the OP or check this trailer : http://youtu.be/KbU9Gyo2uuA

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Is there any reason whatsoever to buy the DLC expansion before you finish the game's primary storyline? Does installing it unlock or add features to the base game from the start?

Chaos17

zlCfzSknSXIDOSK9ry

Q :
Is there any reason whatsoever to buy the DLC expansion before you finish the game's primary storyline? Does installing it unlock or add features to the base game from the start?

A :
Well there's a lot of stuff that gets unlocked post-game in the DLC, but there are a couple things from it that are available at the beginning.

Things you get at the start:
Extra character customization
Friendship system (allows NPCs to become friends with you and fighting better)
Pet Birds and Dragons

Things unlocked after the main story:
A new area Origin Island with it's own story
New materials, equipment and recipes
God rank
New home and furniture
Lunares coins and the items you get from them
Level cap increased from 99 to 200
Level cap for the skills increased from 15 to 20
Stats cap increased from 50 to 100

IMO I would get the DLC asap to take advantage of the Friendship system at the beginning rather than waiting post-game. Not to mention if your the type that likes crazy amounts of customization cause the DLC adds even more.
Source : http://www.reddit.com/r/FantasyLife3ds/comments/2k1hj1/buy_dlc_at_launch_or_wait_until_end_game/

Should we add this too in the poor OP ? XD

Grizzo

To be honest I don't even care about the house customization. I have lots of toys or wallpapers but never used most of them. That aspect of the game just feels a bit cheap compared to Animal Crossing. It's really not what the game is about, in case anyone has doubts about it.

pariah164

Just to clarify, this game won't cut you off a la Harvest Moon, right? I don't want to be in the middle of doing something, only for the game to force me to stop and go to bed or whatever.

jax

Banned
I have an odd question, does anyone know if the JP version of this game is compatible with other regions with local and/or online multiplayer?

jax

Banned
It's not, apparently.

The way the multiplayer was implemented in Japan is different from the US/PAL versions.
Ah. That's dissapointing. Local and online alike aren't compatible? I Was thinking of buying the JP version so I could play with people who had the US version.

Xane

I feel so stoopid for not knowing that you could actually switch Lifes at the very beginning of the game. Every time I tried, it said that I cannot do until I finished Flutter's requests so I thought I needed to beat the story first.
Then I realized it was as I was in the middle of a quest while I tried to switch. You can switch once the top text says "You can explore Ravenia freely" or something.

Xane dumbfuq confirmed. Brain cavity full of feathers.

daydream

Banned
Switched to carpenter to make some stuff with the wood I got.

Also started using my storage now (only for furniture, though) since I can't contain everything in my bag. Still have a bag upgrade left but ok, I didn't expect to get by with my bag alone, haha. Fortunately, it's easy to decide what can go into storage and stay there forever.

Grampasso

Having hard time to drop some Beast hide to craft a Palm Bow, I suppose it's dropped by wolflike enemies like the other hides but never dropped one (and my luck at lv35 is fairly high, like 40+).
Just finished the sacred tree part

Blade25

Does this game have any hard endgame boss or dungeon? For the people who beat the game does the dlc pose a challenge to players?

Forkball

I should be playing this soon. Any tips? This game is like Animal Crossing/Dragon Quest/PSO/Monster Hunter/Tetris/Destiny/Civilization right?

daydream

Banned
I should be playing this soon. Any tips? This game is like Animal Crossing/Dragon Quest/PSO/Monster Hunter/Tetris/Destiny/Civilization right?

barely/maybe the monster design?/yes/sure/wat/eww/uhh

(I suggest reading the OP. It has all the info you need. If you have any specific questions after that we can still answer them, of course).

Does this game have any hard endgame boss or dungeon? For the people who beat the game does the dlc pose a challenge to players?

Yes.

From the start of the game, you have a Napdragon on the field, usually sleeping and minding its own business. Expect to be Level 20-30, not Level 1, before you can take it down.

Then once you can defeat the Napdragon, there will be many other tough bosses for you to fight, until you reach Level 50. Then, when you are Level 50, the DLC will make you feel like a newbie all over again.

The comparisons are funny as I just see it as its own thing, almost like a new type of game.

In fact I think that might've been the aim when this started off as a DS game, I remember a Hino interview saying something similar although I did read it a while ago...

daydream

Banned
How do I actually change lives and can I swap freely between them/level them in parallel?

You change jobs whenever at the Guild Office. You level up the rank of the job individually. Your player level, however, just persists throughout all of them.

At the Castele guild centre (the main one), as long as you're not in a story quest and you're a Fledgling or above in your current life.

Yes, you can work on multiple lifes in parallel. I'm currently a Paladin and chopping down trees for the Woodcutter challenge.

And challenges even work retroactively. I unlocked one for a tree that Grizzo(!) cut down during our time in coop once I switched jobs to Woodcutter for the first time.

Oh, and you can switch lifes in every Guild Office, not just in Castele.

How do I actually change lives and can I swap freely between them/level them in parallel?

At the Castele guild centre (the main one), as long as you're not in a story quest and you're a Fledgling or above in your current life.

Yes, you can work on multiple lifes in parallel. I'm currently a Paladin and chopping down trees for the Woodcutter challenge.

?s regarding character customization:
1. are you able to change your characters' shoes in the game?
2. If so, is there a barefoot / no shoes option?
3. Does it apply to all classes?
4. Is it available from game start, mid-game, or does it require the DLC purchase?

Thanks for any answers. Looking forward to playing this game regardless.

Zing

Banned
Ugh. Bought two copies but waiting until Christmas to play with my daughter. We are still busy with Pokemon and Animal Crossing. You guys are killing me. Guess I'll just stay out of here until then.

Top Bottom