• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

Grampasso

?s regarding character customization:
1. are you able to change your characters' shoes in the game?
2. If so, is there a barefoot / no shoes option?
3. Does it apply to all classes?
4. Is it available from game start, mid-game, or does it require the DLC purchase?

Thanks for any answers. Looking forward to playing this game regardless.

1) Yes
2) Yes (unequip)
3) Yes
4) No DLC purchase, from the start

daydream

Banned
4. Is it available from game start, mid-game, or does it require the DLC purchase?

1. Yup!
2. Yeah, if you just remove the shoes you're wearing (you'll miss out on all the stat bonuses, of course).
3. The barefoot thing? Yes. Some equipment is only for specific classes. Also, there's some items that are girl-only (boo!).
4. You really like running around barefoot, huh? It's available from the start.

Chopper

I don't know if there's a barefoot option, but footwear carries stats, so wearing none would lower your defense!

Edit: super beaten.

Hands down the weirdest question I've seen asked in this thread btw. Grats!

BooJoh

I'm super hyped for this. It's been my most wanted game of the year since E3.

After looking over this topic and a few other places, I'm figuring on getting the DLC right away, starting every job, then seeing how I fare as a Mercenary and if that feels too slow or squishy switching to Paladin.

I saw a post where someone mentioned capping Luck ASAP. Would it be advisable to maybe put 1 point into luck every level and spend the remaining point(s) each level on whatever I feel I'm lacking to keep myself well-rounded? I realize there's respecs in endgame but I'd like to avoid making things abnormally difficult for myself.

After looking over this topic and a few other places, I'm figuring on getting the DLC right away, starting every job, then seeing how I fare as a Mercenary and if that feels too slow or squishy switching to Paladin.

I saw a post where someone mentioned capping Luck ASAP. Would it be advisable to maybe put 1 point into luck every level and spend the remaining point(s) each level on whatever I feel I'm lacking to keep myself well-rounded? I realize there's respecs in endgame but I'd like to avoid making things abnormally difficult for myself.

I went with some weird mashup of strength / vit / focus / dex / luck and I never had any real problems completing the campaign, the game doesn't really require that level of optimization until you reach Origin Island. But at that point you have respecs available.

If you're gonna go Merc, I'd just focus on strength and vit.

BooJoh

Is the dlc up or will it go up tomorrow? I've read it's best to get the dlc at the start.

The official site says:
How to purchase: To get the DLC, choose the Add-on Content option on the title screen. Follow the on-screen prompts to purchase and download.

So I assume it'll be available to purchase at midnight when the game goes live on the eShop at the latest, but might already be available for people who snagged the physical copy early.

I didn't think I wanted this game, and I had zero hype for it, but reading over the OT I think I'll cave and pick this up. Going to go digital as this seems like the kind of game I like to have ready to go at anytime.

Kater

Banned
Feet-Fantasy Life
giphy.gif

Dragoshi1

Money preloaded, now the wait until midnight begins! Can't wait, last good RPG I played on my 3DS recently was Etrian Odyssey IV, and last good 3D RPG was...Pokemon Y?

Either way, excited for this, been watching some of you overseas players play the game, and looks like it will be a blast!

womp

Interesting... Best Buy's mobile site says available for pick up today. The desktop version says Preorder for 10/24 release...

Tempted to try.

Chaos17

This game won't punish you even if you do a rainbow build ^^
Luck help to drop rare items more easely, that's why some people suggest to have some luck but not need to max it though.

If you want more info about stats, you check this link : http://fantasy-life.wikia.com/wiki/Stats

This made me laugh because while shoes were a cute addition in ACNL, I run around everyplace barefoot cause it feels much more carefree to me. Something about flying through my town with arms swinging and feet slapping the ground reminds me of a Ghibli film.

Interesting... Best Buy's mobile site says available for pick up today. The desktop version says Preorder for 10/24 release...

Tempted to try.

I think that's common for pre-orders from the website. It always says it is available for pick up on the day you checkout for some reason. Said the same thing for Call of Duty when I went to pre-order it. Who knows, maybe you'll get lucky!

womp

I think that's common for pre-orders from the website. It always says it is available for pick up on the day you checkout for some reason. Said the same thing for Call of Duty when I went to pre-order it. Who knows, maybe you'll get lucky!

Thanks for confirming...tested that theory with Bayonetta 2 and same thing. Damnit! Hehe

I don't shop there often enough to know.

Kater

Banned
Reviews are really bad for this game, 6 from Gamespot and Game Informer.

MC: 74

We need more Nintendo fansites to give it a 10.
Boo, GS. 😨
After an ambitious start and far too much repetition, the magic is drained from Reveria and, in the end, all you’re left with is the mundane.

Nintendo fan sites generally honey their words a bit too much though. I don't agree with GS review but it comes across as more honest at least.

I wonder how Yahtzee from the Escapists will "score" this game, he generally likes simulators and crafting in games.

Tom_Cody

There is not enough time in this life.

This looks like a game that I could really get into but I'm currently spending every second of my gaming life on Smash.

Oh well. I have a feeling that 2015 will be all about backlog gaming for me.

pariah164

For our future NA friends. Here a glimpse of new additions to character customization that come with DLC (available from the start of the game) :

Bqk4E1oCcAAoU4z.jpg
Dem sparkly eyes. Definitely getting the DLC when this game hits. I have to run some shredding to be shredded after picking this up, but after? All day Fantasy Life~

Chaos17

Reviews are really bad for this game, 6 from Gamespot and Game Informer.

MC: 74

We need more Nintendo fansites to give it a 10.

Gamespot : from the screenshots and the review, the tester didn't play through the high level areas of the game and probably only played through the story base game.

Despite the star-studded lineage, however, Fantasy Life’s protracted development and muddled focus can be keenly felt throughout. Somewhat ironically, it feels like a jack of all trades and a master of none. Individually, each activity you embark on adequately entertainz for a short while, but they never quite add up to a compelling and cohesive experience you want to keep coming back to. Without a strong narrative hook to drive the action, your life will amount to little more than a daily grind of menial tasks, resource collection and buying things you don’t really need. And that’s a bit close to boring old real life for my tastes.

-----

Game Informer : similar to Gamespot review, story was wrong, too grindy, useless crafting. Also from the screenshot and review that guy also didn't reached high levels areas of the game.

The narrative is run-of-the-mill: the shell of the world is crumbling and you must collect relics and wishes to save it. Every long, drawn-out conversation is stuffed in a horrendous story structure. To unlock the next sequence, you're often backtracking from one location to the next. Throw in characters that lack personality and every boring conversation is just going through the motions.

To add insult to injury, after you polish off the story, you don't have much left to do aside from the class challenges, fetch quests, and a multiplayer mode that lets you play through the tedium with friends. Every action taken is rote, the bosses are pushovers, the dungeons are barren, and nothing is complex enough to evoke any sort of emotion. Fantasy Life is the gaming equivalent of lukewarm oatmeal. I never found myself excitedly strategizing to maximize my profit, enticed by the superficial upgrades, or challenged by the simplistic action combat.

Entertainment:Fantasy Life is fun at first, but the boring quests and uninteresting characters exacerbate the repetition

Is the grinding is that awfull ? Compared to any mmorpgs that I played, Fantasy Life is one of the game where you don't feel that you're grinding for levels or materials.
You don't want to farm monsters to level up ? Change jobs, anything you do in the game give you exp.
You don't want to farm materials ? Check shops, lot of shops usually sell what you need until God recepies.
You found crafting boring ? Don't do it for hours and rank up/level up/get better tools. You feel the difference when you have the right things some recepies just become piece of cake.

I'm not a person who like grinding, I hate it but I didn't felt this while playing this game because everything that I did in this game give me exp even when I'm crafting. That's sound stupid but I like that you can gain exp even from cooking, lol.

My point is that those reviewers seems to not have really gotten far in the game because for example, the crafts are not needed or important for them while it's not the case at hight level (45+) . The bosses you meet at that level and beyond do not forgive you if were lazy with your equipements (I'm talking here about the crafting, not the strategy of the encounters). The resistant/elementals amors help too to not get paralysed by the dragon of the ancient ruins for example.

---

So yeah, the base game is 6/10 if you hated the story but for me it's 7/10 because I didn't hated it. With DLC, the game is worth 8/10 because we have a content for high levels.
But I don't share the same point of view about the negative aspects like them.

The cons for me about the base game :

- limited multiplayer
- lack of depth in the world while the sub quests could have filled this easely
- lack of a difficulty on normal enemies

But with the DLC the last con go away that's why it rank up to 7/10 to 8/10 for me.
The difficulty of DLC was right for me.
Now I want more content like the DLC with the difficulty option like in Etrian Odyssey 4.

Tempted to try.

Mine still says tomorrow but I got a txt to pick it up today. I also called and they said I can pick it up today.

Mekere

Question for tailors! As I'm working toward my legendary rank, I'm dabbling a bit with the Appliqué. And.. I have to say for now those I found are not really good.

Apple appliqué => +1 luck
Fairy appliqué => +1intelligence
Shield appliqué => +1vitality
Pirate appliqué => +1 dexterity
Hero appliqué => +1focus
Princess appliqué => sp recovery +
Dragon appliqué => +1 strength
Royal appliqué => +10 hp
Divinus appliqué => ?

One in the other, I find the improvement very low especially considering you can only add one appliqué in your clothes, am I missing something?

Chaos17

Because after learning the DLC tactic that they employed I lost all my sympathy and hype that I had for years waiting for this to come here. I even posted on this forum against them, so buying the game after all that would make me a hypocrite.

- If that can make you feel you better just compare it Last of Us DLC.
15$ for 2 hours of gameplay (that's just an example, no need to flaaaaaame, I like lolies too!)
- Fantasy Life : 10$ for 50 hours+ of gameplay.

You will be an hypocrite if you consider them to be the same kind while clearly one is overpriced for what it may offer. Also, I think it's important to support a game when it was not a HIT or be hyped by the media because all that will count for Level - 5 is the sale. And I really wish they continue this serie also polish it.

One in the other, I find the improvement very low especially considering you can only add one appliqué in your clothes, am I missing something?
No you're right, they're for low levels but don't understimate sp recovery+
Beside the appliqué you can put the different "mana" too but I still wonder they real effects.
Then 2 other stones.
But yeah comparing to blackmisth tailor migh have less cooler items to apply on equipements.

- If that can make you feel you better just compare it Last of Us DLC.
15$ for 2 hours of gameplay (that's just an example, no need to flaaaaaame, I like lolies too!)
- Fantasy Life : 10$ for 50 hours+ of gameplay.

You will be an hypocrite if you consider them to be the same kind while clearly one is overpriced for what it may offer. Also, I think it's important to support a game when it was not a HIT or be hyped by the media because all that will count for Level - 5 is the sale. And I really wish they continue this serie also polish it.

I understand what you're talking about, my problem with it isn't the length, but the way they did it. Square Enix/Nintendo brought Bravely Default over here, and it was the upgraded edition (For the Sequel, IIRC), with all the additions for "free". Level-5, on the other hand, brought the original game with parts of the upgraded edition (Link), but people will have to pay for the rest. When someone like Square Enix (and Nintendo, since they published BD here, but mostly SE) does something that makes you look bad, something is wrong.

And this makes me sad because I used to like Level-5, before they milked and killed Layton, one of my favorite DS franchises. Fantasy Life was a chance that I was willing to give to them to show me that they could still make great games.

Chaos17

I understand what you're talking about, my problem with it isn't the length, but the way they did it. Square Enix/Nintendo brought Bravely Default over here, and it was the upgraded edition (For the Sequel, IIRC), with all the additions for "free". Level-5, on the other hand, brought the original game with parts of the upgraded edition (Link), but people will have to pay for the rest. When someone like Square Enix (and Nintendo, since they published BD here, but mostly SE) does something that makes you look bad, something is wrong.

And this makes me sad because I used to like Level-5, before they milked and killed Layton, one of my favorite DS franchises. Fantasy Life was a chance that I was willing to give to them to show me that they could still make great games.

I see but Bravely default had only mechanics changes, they didn't add any new content so it was never called DLC over there.

Though, you've the right to stand by your principles/moral. I will not force you to change your mind. I just wanted to understand your point od view.

I see but Bravely default had only mechanics changes, they didn't add any new content so it was never called DLC over there.

Though, you've the right to stand by your principles/moral. I will not force you to change your mind. I just wanted to understand your point od view.

Thanks, I'm glad we could talk and I could explain my POV without fighting and etc.

Oxx

I've taken Blacksmithing as far as possible considering my story progress.

Time for a new life. Woodworking perhaps.

Thanks, I'm glad we could talk and I could explain my POV without fighting and etc.
No! This can't happen! There needs to be a fight and name calling and people being offended for no reason! We need at least one mod to tell us to calm down or they're closing the thread. Someone (not me) needs to be banned for questionable reasons! This is GAF dammit!

Zing

Banned
Because after learning the DLC tactic that they employed I lost all my sympathy and hype that I had for years waiting for this to come here. I even posted on this forum against them, so buying the game after all that would make me a hypocrite.
I perceive it differently. Those who do not wish to use the additional area in the game are getting a discount. This sounds ideal. Why would one desire that everyone pays $5-10 more for the game?

The incompatibility between the regular and DLC version is not necessarily malicious. Given that the multiplayer code is clearly shoehorned in and the DLC content was an expansion pack, a technical issue is easily conceivable.

Chopper

No! This can't happen! There needs to be a fight and name calling and people being offended for no reason! We need at least one mod to tell us to calm down or they're closing the thread. Someone (not me) needs to be banned for questionable reasons! This is GAF dammit!
This is NOT an Animal Crossing thread eudaemonic!

Top Bottom