• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

The DLC is all outlined in the OP, but I'll summarize...

The DLC has includes a lot of stuff. New avatar options, pets, items, dungeons, homes, locations, enemies, quests, allies, stat/level caps, etc. It even adds a new gameplay element. (The Friendship System.) The bulk of the DLC is triggered after the main campaign is completed, but certain elements like the new pets, storage/bag bliss bonuses, avatar options, two new homes and the aforementioned Friendship System are unlocked as soon as you purchase the DLC. (And once you reach the part of the game during the main quest that it would normally be available.) The Friendship System is especially important to note because it helps you power up your party members the more you use them. Without the DLC, they have set stats that only raise according to your MC's level, and that's it.

The content the DLC adds to the game is very substantial, so the general feeling is that if you plan to get the DLC eventually anyway, you should get it as soon as possible to make use of the elements of it that are available during the main quest.

As for online, it's a great way to gain some extra experience and bliss points, but it is totally optional. There is nothing that can be gotten online that you can't get by yourself playing solo. It is very fun though, and can be especially useful if you need to tackle some tough bosses/dungeons. (A lot of which are part of the post game DLC.) Note: People who have purchased the DLC can only play online with other DLC owners. (The same goes for players without the DLC.)

Wow. Thanks for the response. The DLC seems awesome and well worth the money. I'll be buying that soon. This game is something I know I'd like but I just have way too many games to play that came out in September and October.

Chaos17

Why are the reviews so dull for this game?

I have hype for it but I can't just throw my money at it, especially with Christmas coming around soon so what would you say to somebody like myself, who's interested in the game but isn't sure about it?

Most of the reviews are BS because most of them missed the point of the game and threated it as a normal j-rpg which is not.
Go see Game explain review on youtube about this game, that guy saw the game for what it truly is.

Been playing this quite a lot, a few things annoy me though. Like all the quests, you get so many and some of them are really tedious, killing 30bandits in the first area comes to mind, but I got one for 5 dragon bone legs too for example which is taking forever since dragon bone is semi rare and there's 3 different parts. Is there any reward for doing quests, like, eventually, or is it just the rewards from turning them in without an overarching achievement/reward for it?

I'm also kinda stuck with Miner at Expert, I need 350 for Master and the only 3 challenges I have are mine 300(which is easy enough, but it gives 300 so not enough), mine the dragon scab or mine the wind shard. Dragon scab should be the right level since it's like adept, but even with full savage set and a mole pickaxe, I can only barely hit it for 1-2 and 10 on the charge special, so can't actually mine it. Problem is I didn't put that many points in str just yet and it seems it's hurting a lot. I have like 25 base or so atm, I dumped all my points in luck at first and maxed it, but it seems it's backfiring. Guess I could in theory find what's the next tier of ore and mine that, should still give me the challenge reward. Platinum probably since that's what I need for blacksmith.

I have similar issues with crafting, since I have like 7vit and can't even craft an armor set with vit. It's not as bad though as there's no bounty type stuff and the "high quality" stuff can be forced with RNG on the charge power ups. On that note, is it me or is the blacksmithing tap A weird? I have no trouble with the weaver and carpenter one, but blacksmith I need a specific timing otherwise it just doesn't work if I spam too fast.

Anyway having a lot of fun other than these small issues.

Linius

Well yeah, you answer most of it yourself. You're limited by the fact that you chose to pump a lot of points in to luck. You should give points to the stats you're gonna use for your lives. I hit the same wall with angler at a certain point. My focus is too poor to keep going. Natural course of the game and not all that strange imo.

And these side quests don't have something big behind them. it's just for making dosh, getting XP and receiving items. So if it destroys your fun with the game I'd suggest to just not do them or only take the ones you don't mind too much. Having to kill 30 bandits was indeed a bit tedious. But on the other hand I walked by that area so many times over the course of the game that I got it at some point. I don't think it's the game's purpose to try and complete those tasks in one run.

Yeah but like I was pretty much done with the area by the time I got it. That's an issue with quests, they don't pop right away after you turn in last, you need to like, wait a bit I don't know, then the NPC has another in the same place and so on. I guess I'll get it done when I level other classes.

On the stat thing, I went with luck cause I didn't think the stats would have that much impact and figured luck was nice since it'd benefit everything. I've been lvling miner/angler/woodcutter/carpenter/weaver/blacksmith/hunter in parallel so I couldn't really pick one stat. Seems like I'm going to have to drop weaver/angler for now until I'm done maxing str or something, but even then I think I'll want vit for blacksmith/carpenter first.

Can you respec stats like, before the end of the game? Or at all?

Chaos17

Yeah but like I was pretty much done with the area by the time I got it. That's an issue with quests, they don't pop right away after you turn in last, you need to like, wait a bit I don't know, then the NPC has another in the same place and so on. I guess I'll get it done when I level other classes.

On the stat thing, I went with luck cause I didn't think the stats would have that much impact and figured luck was nice since it'd benefit everything. I've been lvling miner/angler/woodcutter/carpenter/weaver/blacksmith/hunter in parallel so I couldn't really pick one stat. Seems like I'm going to have to drop weaver/angler for now until I'm done maxing str or something, but even then I think I'll want vit for blacksmith/carpenter first.

I've done like 100+ villagers quests only in Castel, I wonder if there's a end to them, lol.
You can respec at the end of the base story.

Linius

Yeah, you can respec stats after you finished the main story. Will cost you 30K at a time. If you got the DLC you can get your hands on a mirror trough the Lunares Coins system that also allows you to respec.

Oh and I decided to boost the stats for miner, woodcutter, smith, carpenter and the fighting lives. Those are two stats. And I boosted luck. So I decided to go with three stats in my story playtrough and that worked really well.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Out of curiosity, has anyone bought the Royal Pass? I'm wondering if it lets you use the respec for free instead of paying 30k. I'm willing to investigate if nobody has.

Kandinsky

Why is the healing magic so useless in this game, can't heal my Son's Pally for shit D:

Edit: Also am I missing something or you just can heal with AoE and not single targetting a party member?

Niraj

http://segmentnext.com/2014/11/04/f...unlock-costumes-golden-lunares-coin-exchange/

Here's the full list and what everything does. The Royal Pass seems pretty useless. Especially considering the amount of coins it costs lol

Those are basically just the same descriptions you get from the prize lists. Just wondering what "other facilities" refers to. If it includes the respec in Al Maajik, it might be better to just grab that instead of the mirror since you save a couple coins.

How far is the "end" of the story from Al Majik arc end? Wondering if it'd be worth it to power through it so I can respec my stats a bit better and level the rest of my stuff.

daydream

Banned
Why is the healing magic so useless in this game, can't heal my Son's Pally for shit D:

Edit: Also am I missing something or you just can heal with AoE and not single targetting a party member?

Yeah, it takes forever to heal someone up when they have a lot of HP.

It gets a lot better once you reach God rank, however. (Reason being:)
When you active God mode, you heal double the amount, if not more, and you don't run out of SP, so that's when you can really play a healer role.

Niraj

Is there a place to buy Platinum Ingots?

If you are a master blacksmith, you can get them in the cave inside the lava cave. I think you can also get the ore from the well on Mt Snowpeak if you're a master miner, and the traveling merchant by the fishing area there also sells the ores.

Edit:

I can confirm that the Royal Pass does let you respec for free: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAABnUYoXvX80JQ (ally spoilers, just in case)

Linius

If you are a master blacksmith, you can get them in the cave inside the lava cave. I think you can also get the ore from the well on Mt Snowpeak if you're a master miner, and the traveling merchant by the fishing area there also sells the ores.

Edit:

I can confirm that the Royal Pass does let you respec for free: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAABnUYoXvX80JQ (ally spoilers, just in case)

Woah, that's amazing. Thanks for trying. That's gonna save me 2 coins. I guess the only reason to get the mirror now is if you're like really lazy and want to do it in your house. But the library is close enough to the Al Maajik house.

You have a sick amount of dosh btw. The most I had at one time was maybe 350.000 :p

Niraj

Nice, good thinking.

Still kinda useless considering the overflowing Dosh, but slightly less useless : P

lol, that's true, just wanted to save people a couple lunares coins though.

Woah, that's amazing. Thanks for trying. That's gonna save me 2 coins. I guess the only reason to get the mirror now is if you're like really lazy and want to do it in your house. But the library is close enough to the Al Maajik house.

You have a sick amount of dosh btw. The most I had at one time was maybe 350.000 :p

Yeah, I put a bed in the Al Maajik house so I just usually rest there and then walk into the library right away.

I think I've just been getting a ton of money from killing stuff. It didn't even really register lol

Velcro Fly

Finally had a chance to play! Got my blacksmith up to Expert. Have almost a full book of quests, many of which require me to craft something. Torn between taking up the last two jobs I need to start or going to the desert and trying to mine some ore. Also feel like I need to level up cooking and alchemy although with my skill build it's not easy.

With getting gems from ore sometimes I wish there was a gemcutting or jeweler job. I know alchemy makes rings and stuff like that but it would have been cool to cut your own gems and stuff like that.

darkosfenix

Neo Member
I loved this game so much *___*
I have a question for you guys. Do you think it's better to get Legend in every class before buying the DLC?
And what is the best way to level up a skill? I'm Hero alchemist and I only need to achieve level 15 in alchemist so I can report and be a Legend Alchemist.

Anybody know how I can get to the mimics and diabolical boxes in the Ancient Ruins? I can't seem to find them anywhere. I'm assuming I need to get past one of the bigger monsters first?

Niraj

Anybody know how I can get to the mimics and diabolical boxes in the Ancient Ruins? I can't seem to find them anywhere. I'm assuming I need to get past one of the bigger monsters first?

Yeah, they'll be in the rooms behind the gigante and the golden dragon. I'm assuming you're playing as a mercenary, so I'd do the gigante since you have to anyway at some point. You can keep leaving and reentering the room to get them to respawn and finish all of those on one trip.

I loved this game so much *___*
I have a question for you guys. Do you think it's better to get Legend in every class before buying the DLC?
And what is the best way to level up a skill? I'm Hero alchemist and I only need to achieve level 15 in alchemist so I can report and be a Legend Alchemist.

I did it by making great bombs over and over. You can buy the quality minty ore in a lot of places, but Al Maajik is probably easiest. You can also buy monster dung there from the shady shop, and black gel can be purchased in Snooze's lab or Cacto Cove.

Yeah, they'll be in the rooms behind the gigante and the golden dragon. I'm assuming you're playing as a mercenary, so I'd do the gigante since you have to anyway at some point. You can keep leaving and reentering the room to get them to respawn and finish all of those on one trip.

Cool I'll go give that a shot. Thanks for the advice.

Links_fantasy

This is such an addictive mmorpg like game, with this and the recent Ni No Kuni it looks like Level 5 is starting to finally become one of the great rpg developers that was promised during the PS2 days. Next year also has the potential for Yo Kai Watch to make it big in the West.

Zing

Banned
Minty ore is used in alchemy? Good to know. I have a ton of it from mining that cave so much. I'll just sell it then.

Niraj

Guys, what armour should I use for carpentry? I am at master now and already have the best saw money can buy.

Anything that raises vitality I guess. Vitality is the most important stat for it, with strength and dexterity being secondary. If you've started the DLC stuff and have managed to grab/craft some creator armor, that stuff all raises vitality or strength.

Ellix

I took the dive and unlocked the add-on content. I'm glad I did because I love the bird pet from Al Maajik, it matches the Hunter well! Too bad I took so long to get the DLC and haven't been taking advantage of the friendship system.

quabba

Man some of you guys are crazy, firstly get the double xp shoes with your lunares coins it's definitely the most beneficial item.

Secondly - get the cooks pride badge if your going to try god ranking cook. Same for alchemy and tailoring (I think).

Thirdly - $30k is chump change by the time you get to that point so the only reason to grind for the mirror is to use it in your room instead of visiting the library at night.

Is there anything else that the royal pass would help with - I guess if it makes changing your appearance free then it's worthwhile as that's the most expensive thing in the game I think, respec and change appearance are pretty much the only things that cost a decent amout of dosh. Everything else is negligible.

I'm still deciding if getting more gold coins is worth it for the mirror so I can easily tweak my builds.

I think I'll do it if the wood chopper god special request isn't too hard. I've done the miner one and it wouldn't be too hard to repeat that a few times. More interesting than rejecting Pam and going to sleep for days and days.

Niraj

Man some of you guys are crazy, firstly get the double xp shoes with your lunares coins it's definitely the most beneficial item.

Secondly - get the cooks pride badge if your going to try god ranking cook. Same for alchemy and tailoring (I think).

Thirdly - $30k is chump change by the time you get to that point so the only reason to grind for the mirror is to use it in your room instead of visiting the library at night.

Is there anything else that the royal pass would help with - I guess if it makes changing your appearance free then it's worthwhile as that's the most expensive thing in the game I think, respec and change appearance are pretty much the only things that cost a decent amout of dosh. Everything else is negligible.

I'm still deciding if getting more gold coins is worth it for the mirror so I can easily tweak my builds.

I think I'll do it if the wood chopper god special request isn't too hard. I've done the miner one and it wouldn't be too hard to repeat that a few times. More interesting than rejecting Pam and going to sleep for days and days.

1.First thing I bought.

2.Did it without those, but they would have definitely been super helpful. Alchemist and tailor are easier since you only have to get the main stat (alchemy and sewing respectively) to 15, but cooking you have to get everything, so that's definitely a priority.

3.I agree, both are kind of superfluous, but whatever. Buying the pass was better than getting like 5 dupes when I spent 10 coins earlier, even if I don't really need the bonus.

Woodcutter request isn't that bad, there's only one enemy of note guarding the tree, and it isn't too hard.

Chaos17

Someone on Reddit made a map of the ancien ruins in the desert :
OM7aRKz.png

OqXfZy9.png
Source : http://www.reddit.com/r/FantasyLife3ds/comments/2lss23/map_for_the_ancient_ruins_fixed/

I am looking for this sort of game, but I have a few options and am unsure which to go with. This game looks the most robust, but there's also Harvest Moon, Rune Factory 4, and Animal Crossing. Help me tip the scale and make a choice.

eojoko

That map of the Ancient Ruins will be very helpful. I just wandered in there for the first time tonight and the place is intimidatingly huge. Also, not even close to being able to defeat Gigante, or Calamitus, or the Golden Dragon for that matter.

Zing

Banned
I am looking for this sort of game, but I have a few options and am unsure which to go with. This game looks the most robust, but there's also Harvest Moon, Rune Factory 4, and Animal Crossing. Help me tip the scale and make a choice.
Based strictly on play time…

If you want a game you will play for a year or more, get Animal Crossing. It's never too late. Even the casual player will have hundreds of hours playtime with it. Fantasy Life is also nifty and playing casually would probably be a 60 hour affair.

Based strictly on play time…

If you want a game you will play for a year or more, get Animal Crossing. It's never too late. Even the casual player will have hundreds of hours playtime with it. Fantasy Life is also nifty and playing casually would probably be a 60 hour affair.

Play time is important but not super important. I only pointed out Fantasy Life looking robust because it was a positive that immediately stood out compared to Harvest Moon. I've never actually played an Animal Crossing game and could never tell exactly what they were about other than decorating your house.

BooJoh

Play time is important but not super important. I only pointed out Fantasy Life looking robust because it was a positive that immediately stood out compared to Harvest Moon. I've never actually played an Animal Crossing game and could never tell exactly what they were about other than decorating your house.

Fantasy Life lets you feel like you're having adventures without taking itself too seriously. Animal Crossing is more of a casual relaxing getaway. It's hard to compare the two games because they share so little outside of being able to decorate your room and go fishing (the fishing in this feels more rewarding because it involves skill more than timing.) I haven't played Harvest Moon since SNES and GBC but there wasn't that much to do outside of farming and the strict time limit was annoying for me. Never played a Rune Factory game.

suzu

Rune Factory and Fantasy Life are Action RPGs with some simulation stuff. Animal Crossing is strictly a life/social sim.

All three series can be casual but you can sink pretty decent play time into them.

Chaos17

Here's a guy who tested all the games that you mentionned and here's what he though.

This game is incredible. A lot of the "game journalists" will try to tell you why it's bad because of what it's not. Metacritic's user score proves that game journalism is just a bunch of BS. This game is a fantastic escape and is currently my second favorite 3DS game.. Bravely Default beats it just ever so slightly.

Some may try to tell you it's a kids game. I'm 26.

If you have played Dragon Quest 9 this game is basically built on the same engine (with far superior graphics of course) and reviewers praised that game. Fatnasy life is one of the greatest Level 5 games to date. If you are in any way a fan of these titles I will list you CANNOT pass up this GEM. This game is like a dream mashup of the games I will list below. AND IT WORKS SOOO WELL and in my opinion is a dream come true

Zelda A link to the past (or ALBW) [combat system, world exploration, dungeons]
Skyrim [Crafting, Open world exploration, Quest System]
Dragon Quest [Especially DQ 9 engine is very similar as is questing system]
Final Fantasy (older games) [tons of different qweapons, items, potions ect AND JOB CLASSES]
Harvest Moon [The simulation elements and has a similar feel in non combat parts]
Rune Factory [Again similar but has so much more to offer than rune factory]
Animal Crossing [House customization, Item colection, NPCs]

Its my opinion that this game does what it does almost better than this list. In almost all of these games I always felt that something was lacking, Fantasy Life fills those holes in EACH case.

By Demonik420 on Metacritic.

This game is breaking my heart D: I can't breakthe Divine Stone - I have like 65 strength by now so I'm starting to think the pickaxe is the problem (is the one you get when you get to Legend Rank) so I got to God-in-training rank with my Blacksmith and tried to make the best pickaxe but I need something called Evil Claws which I've read you get from somewhere called Trial of Darkness. Where can I access this trial?

Chaos17

This game is breaking my heart D: I can't breakthe Divine Stone - I have like 65 strength by now so I'm starting to think the pickaxe is the problem (is the one you get when you get to Legend Rank) so I got to God-in-training rank with my Blacksmith and tried to make the best pickaxe but I need something called Evil Claws which I've read you get from somewhere called Trial of Darkness. Where can I access this trial?

DLC tower.

Linius

Gonna get me those double xp shoes for sure.

Got God in training rank now for miner and blacksmith. Finally some new recipes :D

And despite being addicted to this game I'm raking in good grades, all went better than expected :p

Kater

Banned
Gonna get me those double xp shoes for sure.

Got God in training rank now for miner and blacksmith. Finally some new recipes :D

And despite being addicted to this game I'm raking in good grades, all went better than expected :p
You mined 500(!) ores?

I'm at 250 or something like that. 😩

You mined 500(!) ores?

I'm at 250 or something like that. 😩

I had like 340 when I hit master earlier today. I do stop every now and then to one shot low level stuff on the way to other stuff I'm doing though, and I'm like not focusing on mining specifically, doing a large spread of stuff so I end up mining a lot of "useless" stuff. Hit Master in Hunter and going through the story quests atm since I figure it'll be faster to finish the story than to hit lvl 70 or whatever I need to get both good str and good vit with my 50 luck, so I'll just respec instead. Wish the story quests weren't 30mins of dialogue and 30secs of fighting though.

Top Bottom