• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

The game has its flaws, but at the same time, I can say without any hesitation, that this is the best open world game I've ever played.

I'm also completely taken aback by how meaty the multiplayer experience is.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The frame rate and screen tearing on the 360 version make this game straight-up unplayable. This is the worst running game I've ever played. The critics should have given this game an F or zero for the console versions. It's BROKEN. The devs should be ashamed of themselves.

Holy shit.

"Straight-up unplayable"? "Worst running game"? "Broken">... no, scratch that, "BROKEN" with ALL CAPITAL LETTERS!

Guess that 10-15 hours I just spent on playing the 360 version was just my mushroom-induced imagination then :O Or maybe I just got a magical version where I could, holy shit, play through all that while everyone else got the unplayable version? :O

Maybe everyone else got that Skyrim PS3's zero framerate version in the 360 version and only my version magically suffered no problem at all? Woah I am so lucky! :O

Goddamn people are so fond of unbelievable exaggeration sometimes.

How do i see my current objectives?

If it's a story objective the game would beat it out to you for like, every couple of minutes or so, hahaha. Sidequests just check out the map, I guess--the game always marked your objective.

The Jason

Holy shit.

"Straight-up unplayable"? "Worst running game"? "Broken">... no, scratch that, "BROKEN" with ALL CAPITAL LETTERS!

Guess that 10-15 hours I just spent on playing the 360 version was just my mushroom-induced imagination then :O Or maybe I just got a magical version where I could, holy shit, play through all that while everyone else got the unplayable version? :O

Maybe everyone else got that Skyrim PS3's zero framerate version in the 360 version and only my version magically suffered no problem at all? Woah I am so lucky! :O

Goddamn people are so fond of unbelievable exaggeration sometimes.

I dont understand it either. I have yet to have any debilitating frame rate issues, and the the tearing is really not that bad.

The story also seems fine to me so far. But I will agree that my friends are douchebags.

AEREC

People just have different levels of tolerance ...I can't enjoy games that play lower than 30 fps...and I will not play games with image tearing.

So I found a safe spot on a hill overlooking an outpost. I pull out my handy sniper rifle and quickly get to work on these pirates who all enjoy dressing the same. As a couple of headshots, and letting them call for reinforcements, I swear I heard a pirate start laughing. I didn't think anything of it and continued to look through the scope. Moments later I get attacked and mauled to death by a tiger.

I FUCKING LOVE THIS GAME

Jintor

image.php

A message pops up for about 2 seconds that says "DO NOT KILL INNOCENT CIVILIANS". Then nothing happens.

Hahahahahahahahah nice.

I was messing around the other night before quitting. I killed a bunch of folks (maybe 12) and then the game automatically killed me.

Seriously? That's weird.

I messed around with the rebels again for awhile tonight, dude's are crazier than a rat in a tin shit house. Love em. Can you actually get in and ride with them though? I really just to cruise with these dudes and look for trouble so I can fight with them, but I can't seem to actually get in the car with them, just commandeer it, which makes them all get out. I did manage to jump and sit on the top of one of their jeeps, and they took off, but as soon as I move the left analogue stick the tiniest bit, I fell off.

They should make some DLC where you just ride all over the island with these guys, running over animals and fightin' dudes.

Edit: There totally is a part in that Criken video towards the beginning where you are driving with the rebels in the vehicle with you....maybe I'm experiencing a glitch?

Jintor

If they're going to put Borgia Towers in the game they may as well go whole hog and let me eagle whistle and rebels just pour out from behind convenient cover positions

honestly that would be pretty freaking sweet

Riposte

If they're going to put Borgia Towers in the game they may as well go whole hog and let me eagle whistle and rebels just pour out from behind convenient cover positions

honestly that would be pretty freaking sweet

Strongly disagree. That would stamp out any fun to be found in this game.

Yaska

Works for me, shows 6.79 euros. Almost tempted to get this. But then again I already have the game on steam.

Yaska

So decided to try out, 7€ isn't a bad price for a nice gift, it's being processed, total was 8.68 USD. Seems they fixed it, now it shows 50 euros again.

Completed this yesterday and quite frankly I loved every moment of it's campaign story. Loved that they didn't repeat any of the radio towers, making them all unique in some way. Must replay it and get all the upgrades and hidden items. I want to complete this game and that is a rare feat

Blue Lou

I tried to buy it but it didn't let me.

The GameStop website lists it as available to N. America, EMEA (Europe, Middle East & Asia).

I'm in the UK and I receive an error message:

Item not available in region.
Far Cry® 3 Deluxe Bonus Content is not available in your area.

Please remove this item from your cart to proceed. If you feel this is an error, please contact downloadsupport@gamestop.com for further assistance and reference the error message "PayPal Region Purchase Error 3".

Still... it's the Steam sale in 3 days, I'm bound to spend a lot.

oipic

In Australia myself. Picked it up five minutes ago for AUD$8.22. Thank you very much gamestop!

Nice work! Also in Oz, but as soon as I click 'add to cart', the price balloons to something more realistic and non-super-bargainy.

EDIT: Just too late, I guess - wacky pricing anomaly looks to have been corrected now. Bummer.

Enco

This is the first open world game where I've wanted to really finish the main story. So interesting. Gotta save mah friends!

Uplay is a load of shit though. No screenshots? No overlay web browser? No game play time? If you're going to compete with Steam at least have half the functionality.

If I finish the main story can I carry on playing?

0MTmA.jpg

Gamespot are streaming the Unarmed Jungle Adventure challenge.

They use a random number generator.

Johnny went for a shark with bow, but forgot to skin so the shark sank to the bottom. With all the fumbling over the skinning collision detection, he drowned himself!

http://www.twitch.tv/gamespot#

This is the first open world game where I've wanted to really finish the main story. So interesting. Gotta save mah friends!

It's so great, isn't it? best open world story i've played
I've read in the far cry 2 vs 3 thread a few times people saying the story is "Horrible" and "terrible" and it just blew my mind.

Derrick01

Banned
I've read in the far cry 2 vs 3 thread a few times people saying the story is "Horrible" and "terrible" and it just blew my mind.

That's because it is horrible. It has too many plot points that are either left hanging or never explored at all and the only well done character
is stamped out halfway through the game and only given like 3 instances to really talk
. It's stunningly incompetent from a story and writing perspective.

Enco

That's because it is horrible. It has too many plot points that are either left hanging or never explored at all and the only well done character
is stamped out halfway through the game and only given like 3 instances to really talk
. It's stunningly incompetent from a story and writing perspective.
Maybe I don't feel like that because I've only just gotten to the Oliver part but I don't see how they could ruin it.

Saving your friends and dealing with huge scumbags = good motivation to complete the game and a good story to keep me wanting more

Derrick01

Banned
Maybe I don't feel like that because I've only just gotten to the Oliver part but I don't see how they could ruin it.

Saving your friends and dealing with huge scumbags = good motivation to complete the game and a good story to keep me wanting more

The problem is most people seem to feel like the friends that we're saving aren't worth saving and if given a choice we'd leave their asses behind. I wasn't bothered by most of them as much, except for the stoner asshole, but most of their potential to shine as characters is never realized by the writers. It's what I hate most about these modern AAA games that try to focus on story. They usually sacrifice so much gameplay to tell the story and they don't even try to tell a complete one.

Lain

Grabbed this from impulse thanks to that price error (only played the intro so far) but I can't seem to be able to unlock the bonus content of the deluxe edition.
I tried inserting the serial key with and without dashes, but I only receive a "key already used", which is both normal (I used the key to register the game on UPlay) and silly (the instructions tell me to use this key in the game to unlock the bonus stuff).
Anyone else had this problem and was able to fix it?

I'm currently trying to download Far Cry 3 though the GameStop App, but it's incredibly slow and I have no idea how to fix it. :(

It's showing me that it's downloading with 1MB/s , but it took 1 hour to download 1 GB, so it's obviously lying. Did anyone else have problems with extremely slow downloads with that program? Any way to fix it?

No offense, but I just can't take anything you say seriously. All of your posts are littered with extreme exaggerations and extreme negativity in an attempt to bring attention to yourself. You posted about Hitman (a game you haven't played) yesterday in a mocking way quoting your negative opinion as if you were some sort of forum celebrity. Just really rubs me the wrong way. It's like you try to one-up yourself to be overly negative about everything so you get attention from your posts.

The problem is most people seem to feel like the friends that we're saving aren't worth saving and if given a choice we'd leave their asses behind. I wasn't bothered by most of them as much, except for the stoner asshole, but most of their potential to shine as characters is never realized by the writers. It's what I hate most about these modern AAA games that try to focus on story. They usually sacrifice so much gameplay to tell the story and they don't even try to tell a complete one.

I actually liked ollie. the dude is totally detached for the most part, because hes high. a lot. he doesn't have any ill will and literally made me laugh out loud when he said
he was going to stay with Dr, Earnhardt
..i guess people just really dislike stoners. -__-

Derrick01

Banned
No offense, but I just can't take anything you say seriously. All of your posts are littered with extreme exaggerations and extreme negativity in an attempt to bring attention to yourself. You posted about Hitman (a game you haven't played) yesterday in a mocking way quoting your negative opinion as if you were some sort of forum celebrity. Just really rubs me the wrong way. It's like you try to one-up yourself to be overly negative about everything so you get attention from your posts.

And your inability to critically think about games and accept total crap as great rubs me the wrong way, so I guess we're even there.

Wuthering_Heights said:
So what's the trick to hunting Leopards with a bow?

Takes 5 dozen arrows to kill them, apparently.

Not sure if there are any tricks. Maybe headshots do more damage but I don't know that for sure. The best way to avoid their damage is to find a rock or something that they can't climb up to you and shoot them but some times I did that it ran way off in the opposite direction of me to the point where I had to go chase it.

Torraz

Bought the game today for around 8 bucks together with far cry 2 and 1 from a gamestop/impulse sale (probably a misprice).

Freed 3 outposts and did 3 radio towers. Had some fun things happen already. While I was scouting out an outpost and was just about to engage, a tiger just walked in and killed everyone...

Raptomex

The story is ok. Simple set up for an action type of story. I just don't like the main characters. I thought Vaas was really awesome and Hoyt was pretty cool too. Pretty much everybody you meet in the game I like better than Jason and his friends.

Socreges

Banned
For hunting with the crossbow I just use the Animal Repellent syringe. Not sure if you guys deliberately avoid using it since you want a more challenging experience, but I can't be bothered. It makes it much more efficient since you can essentially hound the animal without worrying that it'll attack you.

100% accurate

Continued the main story again on second island! Holy Cow this game just delivers! I had to put it down for other games but it pulled me right back in. Can't wait to mop up more posts post game! So good! :D

Locke_211

For leopards with a bow and other like missions, remember - you can also kill them with the knife! It's the specified weapon, or the knife.

So you use one of those syringes that makes your attacks against animals stronger, shoot one with an arrow, it start charging you, maybe you get one more shot in, maybe not - but then when it's near, a couple of knife swipes will finish it off and count.

Top Bottom