• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider Gaming: Far Cry 7 first details

Draugoth

Gold Member

Speaking with sources, it’s understood that the next entry to the series will be a non-linear story, with the story being centered around rescuing the player’s kidnapped family. It was said that the game’s plot revolves around a wealthy family that has been kidnapped by a conspiracy group currently called the ‘Sons of Truth’. While exact, finite details are subject to change due to the game’s stage of development, it was said that the premise of the campaign is for the player to rescue their entire family within a specific time frame. Currently, the current in-game timer stands at 72 hours, or 24 hours in real-time, but the timer can be paused when the player enters one of their safehouses, it was said.

Far Cry 7’s non-linear story means that family members do not need to be rescued in order, and some family members can be killed, which has an impact on the story. While details are still a little murky, it’s understood that the goal is to take down the ‘Sons of Truth’ and in order to complete the game 100%, you’ll need to rescue all of your family members safely.

To find your family members, it was said that Far Cry 7 introduces a new interrogation mechanic to the game, which doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll get the information you need from the enemy. Sometimes the enemy will give up the information, sometimes they’ll lie, stay quiet, or even sometimes escape, it was said.

Apparently it's also coming to Switch 2 alongside the other expected platforms.

Last edited:

Salz01

It sounds kind of cool. But also like what happens if you don’t rescue anybody and get stuck in Ubi bloat content. Game over and you start from a new game? I’m more interested in what setting it will be. Sounds like America again.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I thought details had been out there for a while...

81ry7NKU3VL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Avfar Cry

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I like Far Cry games as my gaming junk food.

I’m not big on timers, but this premise sounds good. I’m guessing the map has to be a bit smaller.

Will need to upgrade my PC if I'm to even think about FC7. The last game was already making me wish I had bought it on console. But all my FC have been on Steam going all the way back.
Edit - I mean on PC. The early games were on Origin. (remember Origin?)

Last edited:
ubisoft games used to be so much fun, now they are just one big boring open world.
The worlds were smaller but they always were kinda boring open worlds. Playing AC2, Valhalla, Brotherhood, in that order, felt like that. "used to be more fun" only for people who were then new to open world and or generally like them more than me, but objectively I don't think that's really true.
I wish open world games would take the Mafia 1 route. Where the open world is just background for the story and the distracting, more gamey, often goofy side missiones are unlocked after you are done. Practically every game suffers from distractions no matter who does it, Batman, Spiderman, Saints Row... All would be immensly better if the sandbox would be at least optionally a locked second chapter of a game. But sadly with all the RPG-lite elements you often quite need the extra XP from these.
Currently playing Watch Dogs and that weirdly has packed some quite interesting stuff in the side mission, arguably better stuff than what is part of the campaign. The entire privacy invasion stuff is quite haunting, and the audio logs of Maurice are more interesting than the garbage that is happening in the actual story with the unlikable just weird main character and barely defined antagonists.

Alebrije

Far Cry games are like the average cold sandwich you buy on a 7 eleven...you know what you get , you know is not the best stuff around but still you eat it...because why not...

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I thought Far Cry 6 was a good game.

Matt Leblanc Whatever GIF
Same here. I quite like Far Cry, it’s fast food and not for all the time but I had a great time running about fake Cuba in winter 2021. It was like a little violent holiday. They need to certainly change the formula a bit to freshen it up.

Not a whole lot of depth but they’re far from the worst offenders in the current climate.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Didn't enjoy 5, really enjoyed 6, but do agree they need to mix it up.

Need to go super sci-fi or fantasy or something.

Last edited:

Quantum253

Far Cry 3/Blood Dragon/4 was the franchise peak for me. FC 5 got so boring, I put it down and never picked it up again. I was excited for FC6. But watching gameplay and trailers, i skipped it altogether.
The timer and rescuing of family reminds me of 5 where you choose which boss (leader) you'll go and take out, but in the reverse.
The enemies, a conspiracy group known as "sons of truth", sounds like Ubi is trying to make the badguys QAnon or similar. It's overdone and makes slogging through the world that much more boring.
I'll wait to see the official trailer and gameplay/story, but it will probably be another pass or a deep discount buy.

HL3.exe

Sounds cool actually. Finally, some sort of new structure. 'Non-linear' hopefully meaning "no waypoints". The world feels logical and player can decide how to tackle situations, and games response to that through it's simulation.

Instead like every other game that are open-world: being ultimately have a lot of linear sections that don't utilize the open world simulation.

Edit: also, the interrogation system could be interesting. Have situations were you're not just simply 'clicking in the heads to delete enemy', but to actually have incentive to keep situations calm, or keeping enemies alive.

Last edited:

Xtib81

I like the idea of an in game timer. I wish they put the IP to rest for a while though.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

I'm all for FC mixing up it's formula but this seems .... lame. Not into timed shit especially in open world games like FC.

Kacho

How? After 8 (more?) games that are all extremely similar, unless you have faith that the 9th time is the charm and they go off script, you know exactly what this game is.
They said they’re changing it up this time because the Far Cry 3 formula ran its course. Interest in FC7 will be higher than the past few games for that reason alone.

Top Bottom