• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 - More Than 1 Hour of New Gameplay (PS4) - Open World/Campaign/Co-op + More

Nokterian

I wish Blood Dragon could just be its own separate awesome thing instead of simply being an expansion trapped in the Far Cry trappings.

I do hope it happens..not a standalone but a full game with Michael Biehn and maby add some other 80's actors to it.

Bummer. Why is it always Ubisoft games that do that? If I buy a game like FarCry4 to play with a buddy, I don't want to play alone for 10+ hours to go through the story part and then we can join up. Same with Blacklist or soon AC: Unity.
If they go so far and implement co-op, why not for the story? Seems like a waste.
I don't even care if the second player is acknowledged in cinematics or not, who cares, but this two-tiered campaign stuff for single and coop is a big turn-off for me. Even Hawx had that if I remember correctly. Not buying games with only a part of the content playable via coop.

I hear you, but as a co-op gamer I honestly take what I can get these days. Last gen was pretty awesome for co-op (Resident Evil, Halo, Gears, Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, Transformers, Lost Planet, etc) while this gen hasn't been so good (though admittedly we're just getting started).

Shredderi

I love how in the gamersyde 'vehicle' video when the player gets in a gyrocopter he flies into some tree branches and you can hear the sound of some branches gettin cut. The vistas looks absolutely gorgeous in this game. The setting is really cool. Goddamn it makes me wonder how good this could look if it wasn't cross-gen. I mean the beatiful setting really deserves to not be hampered down by the old consoles which will likely be a relatively small part of the game's sales if the claims of last-gen game sales going downhill are true. Next time, baby! (if it sells well enough).

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Blasphemy. Blood Dragon is far better than any main line game that Ubisoft has ever done.

Couldn't disagree more. Outside of some amusing '80s trimmings, I found the game itself to be nothing special. On top of that it was visually hideous. Wish I could get my $5 back.

Gator86

More Far Cry 3 with improvements sounds good to me. Didn't even get enough of the first game.

Same here. I played the absolute shit out of FC3. Hunting people in the jungle never got old to me. This is probably my most anticipated game the rest of the year, especially after watching some of these videos.

Nokterian

Couldn't disagree more. Outside of some amusing '80s trimmings, I found the game itself to be nothing special. On top of that it was visually hideous. Wish I could get my $5 back.

Clearly you don't understand that it is all homage to the 80's even down to the visuals? It had more personality then FC3.

Nestunt

The setting and cultural background have so much potential

Why do I have the feeling that they wont deliver

Shredderi

Just watched some of the co-op stuff and I have to say that some of the animations for the player seen through another player looks just goofy :D

Gator86

Has Ubi said anything about the HUD in this game? It was ridiculously overbearing in 3 until the patches brought extra options. I'm hoping Ubi didn't neglect that lesson when working on this one. I would love this game to have a HUD-less option. Now that I've typed this, I'm 100% sure Ubi won't do this because reasons.

Raptor

Blood Dragon was better and i had more fun then FC3. Also as a guy who was grown up with 80's movies this is a huge homage to it. From the music to the humor to the neon lights.
Is me being frustated because it performed way better than FC3.

Game was not my cup of tea though, I may be one of the few that couldn't deal with all that neon and I really love effects, colors and all that.

fatchris

I really enjoyed Far Cry 3's core gameplay - not the collectathon shit, but the rest of it is aces. The AI is forgivingenough to make stealth fun when not alerted, but it quickly becomes challenging enough once the shooting starts.

Going back to old shooters is painful. Replaying the STALKER series now, and while the atmosphere and presentation and everything is just perfect, shooting the guns makes me want to hop back into Far Cry.

Raptor

I guess since I couldn't play more than an hour of FC3 because of the abysmal performance on the 360 (seriously you could get headaches) I don't mind this being FC3 with a fresh coat of paint.

That game core gameplay was solid as hell.

I know elephants are a new thing and they're cool and all but I hate when there are just elephants lying around in places that seem out of place JUST for the combat section.

impirius

The LOD and pop-in on the trees is fairly distracting in the videos, but I hope it won't be as noticeable when you're actively playing. I'm looking forward to capturing many more outposts.

Shredderi

The LOD and pop-in on the trees is fairly distracting in the videos, but I hope it won't be as noticeable when you're actively playing. I'm looking forward to capturing many more outposts.

The LOD and pop-in was really noticeable. Even on PC with far cry 3 it had a weird LOD issue. I just hope that with a beefy enough PC it won't be a problem this time.

Shin-Ra

That's some Duke Nukem level weird first person perspective.

DukeKickFC4.gif

ICPEE

Really can't see the appeal of this game.

Its basically a reskinned Far Cry 3 with the only new additions i can see here which is riding elephants and flying some sort of mini helicopter.

This may as well be Far Cry 3 DLC.

Jac_Solar

I think the Far Cry series would benefit from some slightly different storytelling; maybe they could introduce supernatural elements.

But, I haven't even played Far Cry 3, and this really reminds me of that game, which people who've played FC3 seem to agree on.

The fact that the "grappling hook" is just a basic QTE is also disappointing, and, perhaps, telling of the limitations of the engine they are working on? I think an actual grappling hook, like the one in Just Cause 2, would make a great addition to a game like this.

GrayOfPigs

Neo Member
Is it just me or does that elephant sound like a muted saxophone?

This has been a terrible year. Finally this is one game I'm actually looking forward to (and The Evil Within tomorrow). I don't mind that it looks like a FC 3 mod, I loved FC 3.

Has Ubi said anything about the HUD in this game? It was ridiculously overbearing in 3 until the patches brought extra options. I'm hoping Ubi didn't neglect that lesson when working on this one. I would love this game to have a HUD-less option. Now that I've typed this, I'm 100% sure Ubi won't do this because reasons.

I'm not sure what the HUD options are like, but based on the gameplay vids in this thread it looks a lot less intrusive. But for example the map is now square and jammed into the corner more. Everything looks to be closer to the screen edge as well.

natuKo

Neo Member
I'm not sure what the HUD options are like, but based on the gameplay vids in this thread it looks a lot less intrusive. But for example the map is now square and jammed into the corner more. Everything looks to be closer to the screen edge as well.

I am coming from the FC forums, but one of the dev team already confirmed that the HUD options would be customizable (toggle on/off), including the Camera, the tagging, the minimap, the icons, ammo, XP etc.

I think this is great so that we can play it hardcore mode if we so choose!

Portugeezer

Looks nice, but I noticed some weird tessellation effect where rock textures looked fat from one angle then looked wavy and moulded into place.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Good to see that the main character has a voice like in Far Cry 3, that first trailer had me worried for a second.

Elixist

I am coming from the FC forums, but one of the dev team already confirmed that the HUD options would be customizable (toggle on/off), including the Camera, the tagging, the minimap, the icons, ammo, XP etc.

I think this is great so that we can play it hardcore mode if we so choose!

yay, i had to mod out the minimap in 3 and it made it alot funner. i wish enemy hit reactions had alot more oomph in this, oh well im still interested.

RedSwirl

Got started back on Far Cry 3 again and I guess it was just the right time. I'll probably watch tomorrow.

People are saying this is basically Far Cry 3.5. I like a lot about that game, but am still disappointed it basically ripped out the one part of Far Cry 2 that actually made that game interesting. You see bits and pieces of it in FC3, but not enough. I have a feeling we're still not gonna see it in Far Cry 4.

BigDug13

Really can't see the appeal of this game.

Its basically a reskinned Far Cry 3 with the only new additions i can see here which is riding elephants and flying some sort of mini helicopter.

This may as well be Far Cry 3 DLC.

This argument could work for every Ubisoft game. AC 4 should have been DLC for AC3 which should have been DLC for AC2, etc. Rayman Legends should have been DLC for Rayman Origins, etc.

Hell, this argument could be made for pretty much any game that has sequels that don't add a ton of new features. BF4 is basically a DLC for BF3.

What a dumb argument.

BashNasty

Surprised by some of the negativity in this thread. The footage looks fantastic. I was a huge fan of 2 and 3, so I'm pretty hyped for this on day one!

Top Bottom