• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 |OT| Welcome to Kyrat

Anyone have some good screenshots?

From the console screenshot thread, I took these on my PS4 this weekend:

farcry4_20141115211712arsc.jpg

farcry4_2014111521204y9qrm.jpg

farcry4_2014111523453fmqyh.jpg

Rikyfree

Hi Rikyfree, you made a mistake deleting the game and re downloading it..

The system will download the first file (I think it's almost 4GB) which will allow you to load the game and maybe okay a tutorial mission or part of the game. In the background your PS4 is downloading the rest of the game.

Highlight farcry4 on your home screen and hit the 'options' button on the controller, then select 'information'. You can see how much has been downloaded there. Hope that helps.l I made the same mistake back when Watch Dogs came out :)
Ok! Thanks for the info. And here's the part where I feel stupid lol!

Welp! Was planning on playing GTAV tonight, but with the reported issues people are having over in the OT, I might just play this instead while I wait for Rockstar to iron out the kinks.

Looking at those screenshots makes me REALLY happy I pulled an impulse buy on FC4 today. Sweet jeebus!

TripOpt55

Finished the first act. Seems a lot like Far Cry 3 with some cool tweaks which is fine with me since I loved FC3. Really fun so far.

Pimpbaa

Yeah same here. I think it just downloads the prologue mission and the rest in the background while you play. My progress bar is moving slow as hell thou. Just let it be man, thats what I am doing.

How can people not know this yet? We knew about the ps4 allowing you to start playing the game before it's finished downloading/installing before the system even launched. And it has been used in almost every game that has come out for the system.

Rikyfree

How can people not know this yet? We knew about the ps4 allowing you to start playing the game before it's finished downloading/installing before the system even launched. And it has been used in almost every game that has come out for the system.
I know. I just thought since the initial download was completed for me Sunday night that that was it and I didn't need to start the game in order to download load the rest of it.

I love what they have done with the touch pad....I'm going to get pro with that mechanic....I can already switch to things like bait throwing knives grenades quicker than r1...if done quickly and correctly you don't even see the weapon wheel which is great

noah111

Still Alive
Can someone explain how the co-op/multiplayer works? As in, can me and a friend play and free-roam in the open world together or is co-op restricted to missions/hoard-like modes?

Gaz_RB

Can someone explain how the co-op/multiplayer works? As in, can me and a friend play and free-roam in the open world together or is co-op restricted to missions/hoard-like modes?

It's open world. You can roam around together and do whatever your heart desires, except story missions. It's awesome.

Right now I'm in this random guys game just driving around fucking stuff up and taking outposts.

noah111

Still Alive
It's open world. You can roam around together and do whatever your heart desires, except story missions. It's awesome.

Right now I'm in this random guys game just driving around fucking stuff up and taking outposts.
Awesome, that's what I was hoping for. Thanks.

ubiblu

I don't mean to sound like a troll, but are you people playing the same game as me on PS4? Admittedly I haven't finished the first patch yet, but the ground textures (and most really) do not look that great. I'm actually a bit disappointed compared to Unity, and even some of GTA V. Does the patch make a real difference?

riflen

When is the Nvidia driver coming out? Getting 50-60 FPS on High, but want SLI of course. :p

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/far-cry-4-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide

For the best Far Cry 4 experience we recommend updating to the new Far Cry 4 GeForce Game Ready Drivers, which will be released at approximately 16.00 UTC on Tuesday, November 18th. Included are the latest performance optimizations and tweaks for Far Cry 4, and a SLI profile that scales at over 90% on the system used in this guide. Download from GeForce.com or via GeForce Experience once the drivers are released.

I don't mean to sound like a troll, but are you people playing the same game as me on PS4? Admittedly I haven't finished the first patch yet, but the ground textures (and most really) do not look that great. I'm actually a bit disappointed compared to Unity, and even some of GTA V.

I agree. I'm playing the Xbox One version. People keep saying that it's 1080p but it looks really blurry. At least the framerate is good.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Gave it a quick whirl, played through the intro and opened the world up for exploring, and it's definitely not for me. Setting seems neat (love the snow) and the gunplay/general presentation is mostly satisfying but I still can't shake that horrendous Far Cry 3 vibe of miles of empty, uninteresting land littered with soulless check-listing quests, meaningless loot, and arbitrary levelling. Like I feel I've seen what the game is literally all about and all it can provide in the first 30 minutes and everything beyond is padding. Oh well.

Guns feel cool to shoot though.

You know... at the end of the day, Assassins Creed and Far Cry and Watch Dogs are kind of similar. Not only they are the typical Ubisoft open world game with a big map full of icons of activities and collectibles, but all of them feature core gameplay consisting of a mix a action and stealth, and in all them the plot is kind of weak supporting said gameplay. Though of course there are with some variants (WD has also more driving missions, FC is a fps and therefore it tends more to action, AC appeal is partly the historical setting and it's third person action).

What I wanted to say it's that I'm playing both AC Unity and FC4, and FC4 is the better game. In both the story isn't very good and it's kind of there to justify the gameplay, which it's as I said a mix of action and stealth. And that's what I wanted to point out: both the action and the stealth are better in FC4. Combat in AC Unity (for now) is spamming attack button and hit parry when the indicator blinks on screen, and throw a smoke grenade if there are a lot of them.
FC4 combat is more a high grade FPS, much more engrossing, and with a structure that allows more freedom in the missions. Stealth in AC Unity works pretty bad, they detect you very fast, the clunky movement system doesn't allow you to react fast and hide or move before they see you, the feedback system isn't so clear, the cover button works in less than half of the times you would want to, the move from cover to cover works maybe in 10% of the occasions, and the new crouch button function isn't that really well thought as you can run around and stab people on the back and instead of crouching and moving slowly, it doesn't seem to have different noise levels. FC4 on the other hand has more precise, immediate controls that facilitate stealth, easier to do takedowns, a more interesting tagging enemies system that eagly vision, you can move bodies, silent weapons like the bow and the knives and silenced weapons and the throwing rock feature helps a lot.
If it wasn't because the great setting and art in Unity, it would have barely anything going for it.

That said. Damn, FC4 is really Far Cry 3.5. Not only it's the same hunting animals and take their skins to make a bigger wallet, a bigger loot bag, and bigger weapon holster etc, the same climbing towers with the same structure design (even the broken wooden ramps with ropes in them are still there) that unlock weapons in the shop, the same outposts with the same mechanics, the same loot system with chests with random crap and money, the same herb system, etc etc, it evens re-uses several of the FC3 weapons. It has the same silenced pistol, the same AKM, the same STG-90, the bow, etc and even re-uses misc animations without modifications like diving in the water, skinning animals and more. Hell, from what I played, I suspect it can have the same flaws of FC3, with a broken economy where the money is barely worth it (I already could buy half of the maps available), and game will be trivial once you unlock most of the skills and have a good weapon.
That really damps my enthusiasm for the game, even if I liked FC3. It reminds me of games like GTA Vice City, or AC Brotherhood/Revelations or Borderlands Presequel, games that didn't advance the number sequel because it was clear it was more of the same. Though here Ubisoft didn't have problems with calling it Far Cry 4.

Coop maybe the salvation of the game, as people says it's very fun and it's better integrated than in AC Unity.

Performance wise, the game runs at higher average fps than Unity, though in my computer with AMD card, the framerate jumps wildly so I'm not happy right now about it.

Meccs

Looking at the PS4 and X1 what would be the "Detail Quality" equivalent on the PC that those consoles run on? Would you say it's High? I'm just trying to get a good sense on performance and optimization.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Playing on Xbox One and this game game so far is running nice. The mountains of Kyrat are pretty breathtaking in some areas.
How's the performance on Xbox One?

I was checking out some videos of the PS3 version for fun and, man, it looks bad. Like, why even bother releasing it at this point? I don't get it. The frame-rate is super low, the screen tearing is non-stop, and the visuals look dramatically worse. Uglier visuals and a moderately stable 30 fps would have been playable but not this. Far Cry 3 was seemingly just as bad.

I don't mean to sound like a troll, but are you people playing the same game as me on PS4? Admittedly I haven't finished the first patch yet, but the ground textures (and most really) do not look that great. I'm actually a bit disappointed compared to Unity, and even some of GTA V.
I dunno, I've been really impressed with the visual design. It's still rooted in last generation techniques but it's all beautifully pieced together. AC Unity is doing some truly new stuff visually but Far Cry 4 is just so perfectly polished.

I mean, look at it this way - the LOD system is nearly perfect eliminating the sensation of object pop-in almost completely, the first person animations are some of the best in the business, the lighting and effects work is very good, absolutely remarkable AA that eliminates just about all temporal aliasing and the whole thing operates at a 99.9% locked 30 fps with motion blur. It may not be pushing any boundaries but it works very well and delivers a completely consistent experience on consoles (well, PS4 and XO at least). Then you have the PC version which is also very well optimized, includes a bunch of extra visual features, and seems to be free of any serious launch issues.

Frillen

Gave it a quick whirl, played through the intro and opened the world up for exploring, and it's definitely not for me. Setting seems neat (love the snow) and the gunplay/general presentation is mostly satisfying but I still can't shake that horrendous Far Cry 3 vibe of miles of empty, uninteresting land littered with soulless check-listing quests, meaningless loot, and arbitrary levelling. Like I feel I've seen what the game is literally all about and all it can provide in the first 30 minutes and everything beyond is padding. Oh well.

Guns feel cool to shoot though.

One of the most satisfying things with FC3 was taking over the outposts in various ways. Other than that, I agree, you've seen pretty much everything there is an hour in.

Top Bottom