• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4's villain is not gay.

Sorry its the main villain in that movie. Whats his name?

Norman Stansfield, played by Gary Oldman.

P70NsO3.gif

Edit: beaten

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I wonder what today's modern blogosphere would make of the bisexual Colonel Volgin from MGS3.

Though you get the impression that he uses sex to dominate others and their gender is irrelevant.

daffy

Banned
Drats. I was really hoping real life gay people could live vicariously through him without knowing if he is a quality character or not.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Pretty hilarious there were so many bs threads and articles about the place concerning this terrible, reprehensible and bigoted portrayal of a gay character in a game!*!*!*!

can you imagine Ubisoft right now...

"Uhhhhh guys he's actually not gay. Not even a little bit...... sorry?"

Personally i never even understood what the assumption was all about. Was it seriously just a crazy colored suit? there was nothing else about his character that would scream gay to me through out the entire intro - cool kats can't wear salmon anymore? Mothafucka...

Scizzy

The question of whether the makers of Far Cry 4 are utilizing gay stereotypes to make their villain seem more dangerous and depraved is really entirely independent of whether he is gay or not. I'm not willing to come to that conclusion based on the minute of footage we've seen, but at least try and engage with the argument if you're going to throw shade at the people who've questioned his portrayal.

Ironically they were the ones displaying their own stereotypical views of gays.

Oh my god, will yall stop it with this?

LGBT folks have a history of being represented poorly in media. It doesn't make anyone a homophobe to see those common stereotypes and assume the creator was going to make the character gay.

This point of view reminds me of the people who respond to allegations of racism by saying "if you thought it was racist then you're the real racist!".

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I'm not sure if you'd classify him as flamboyant, but Handsome Jack from Borderlands 2 was gay. Or at the very least bisexual.

Huh? Where do you get this from?

On topic: I don't see why everyone assumed this. Either way, it doesn't matter; it doesn't change my interest in the game.

Kelsey

Banned
Huh? Where do you get this from?

On topic: I don't see why everyone assumed this. Either way, it doesn't matter. It doesn't change my interest in the game either way.

The fact that Jack talks about his husband during the game.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.

LGBT folks have a history of being represented poorly in media. It doesn't make anyone a homophobe to see those common stereotypes and assume the creator was going to make the character gay.

This point of view reminds me of the people who respond to allegations of racism by saying "if you thought it was racist then you're the real racist!".

Completely legit honest question here to everyone - not just you here:

Besides his ballin outfit - what was the stereotype he displayed that pointed to "gay" in that opening trailer? Seriously curious here cause i feel like i'm maybe missing something...

The fact that Jack talks about his husband during the game.

...... what?

Nope but it does make them very judgmental and extremely lazy.

Completely legit honest question here to everyone - not just you here:

Besides his ballin outfit - what was the stereotype he displayed that pointed to "gay" in that opening trailer? Seriously curious here cause i feel like i'm maybe missing something...

According to this thread it was also his "edgy stylish modelesque haircut" and his "hand resting on a guys head."

I'm not sure how either of those things makes the character appear gay, but I wasn't the one who started the thread.

Crayons

Banned

He was wearing pink. That's literally the only reason people thought he was gay.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Why does it matter if he gay or not?

It shouldn't but some communities worry that a portrayal of a villain in a high profile game like FC4 who is openly and un-apologetically gay would further push unabashed bigots to say "Yep ... dem evil gays bein evil with their pink suits and wacky SanFran hairdoes... killin all the regular straight folk... TAKIN ER JAAHBS!" and so on and so forth.

Pennywise

No.

People were mad people were killing black inarticulate stereotypes of black people in Africa.

Like grass skirt with a spear guy.

Yes and no.
That was the valid point of criticism that was 100% correct.

It wasn't the only point in the discussion though.
As the person you've quoted has mentioned, the discussion also surrounded Chris killing black people.
That discussion involved colonialism and alot of historical context that wasn't really used smart and threw the real point from above off and derailed alot of discussions.

FluxWaveZ

Common stereotypes like wearing pink?

How can you misrepresent the LBGT community with a single character? Everyone is unique in their own way, and some people actually do fit some stereotypes. Plus, why would they want a murdering psychopath to accurately represent them, and why would a murdering psychopath represent them... lol... the whole thing is really stupid.

Anyway, this isn't news, they stated he wasn't gay like when the initial "skepticism" (albeit baseless) arose.

daffy

Banned
It shouldn't but some communities worry that a portrayal of a villain in a high profile game like FC4 who is openly and un-apologetically gay would further push unabashed bigots to say "Yep ... dem evil gays bein evil with their pink suits and wacky SanFran hairdoes... killin all the regular straight folk... TAKIN ER JAAHBS!" and so on and so forth.
it's nothing more than hand wringing to suggest we need to worry about bigots peddling their shit.

What I'm getting out of this is that the people who were mad because he was a potentially gay sadistic villain were the ones using stereotypes to make their claim.

I think it would do everyone good to just wait to the information is revealed before making any assumptions. It's probably best not to assume anythings prejudice from a 10 second trailer.

Zaventem

What I'm getting out of this is that the people who were mad because he was a potentially gay sadistic villain were the ones using stereotypes to make their claim.

I think it would do everyone good to just wait to the information is revealed before making any assumptions. It's probably best not to assume anythings prejudice from a 10 second trailer.

Now the same people want him to be gay. There is no winning.

web01

What is wrong with a villain being gay!?
Seems like some backwards thinking people have worrying if he is or not.

The question of whether the makers of Far Cry 4 are utilizing gay stereotypes to make their villain seem more dangerous and depraved is really entirely independent of whether he is gay or not. I'm not willing to come to that conclusion based on the minute of footage we've seen, but at least try and engage with the argument if you're going to throw shade at the people who've questioned his portrayal.

This is actually a decent point, I don't think I've really seen it put quite this way before. Alas, We've seen not even close to enough footage to have any real opinion on this, so I still think anyone who made a topic about it was being silly at best, but if the point of contention is whether or not gay stereotypes are present and how they're being used, and not if he is or isn't gay, there may actually be something of worth there.

Of course, based on what we've seen, I think these "stereotypes" are meant to represent wealth and power, how he's clearly above everyone else, not his sexual orientation. It's essentially all royalty looking, but of course in a very modern and somewhat foreign fashion sense. This is a style of man that goes against the 'manly man' we expect, especially in video games, so we should be happy to see this diversity and actually well thought out writing. Sadly, it's become a bit of a trend for these deeper characters to be overanalyzed to extreme lengths and I think it can discourage others from taking similar risks.

Anyone who jumped on that bandwagon of him being offensive before getting more informartion needs to be more careful in the future.

Cipherr

When you make an assumption based on something as stupid as "But he was wearing pink" instead of waiting to get more info, you fucked up (myself included). Swallow it like an adult.

No one is saying anything other than the truth here. Looking back on this, we really didn't have enough info at the time.

Brainfreeze said:
This is actually a decent point, I don't think I've really seen it put quite this way before.

You haven't seen it before because it hasn't been presented before. Primarily because we have zero real idea on how the character plays out in the actual game thus far, so wisely no one went there. That same rational should have kept us all from jumping the gun on that hot mess in the first place.

Top Bottom