• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 6 is running 4k on One X & Series X, No Information on other consoles at this time

This reminds me when Call of Duty only ran in 720p on the Xbox One in 2013.

RESOLUTIONGATE 2!
But did you see the fish!?!?

All jokes aside, if people are so sure this was a marketing deal between Xbox and Ubisoft (obvious scapegoat for no argument), then what does this mean for Tim Sweeney, the PS5 & EPIC with all the praising? So that wasn't a marketing deal even though Sony invested $250,000,000 into them? Hmmm. When the turn tables in Xbox's favour, the narrative changes too.

I'll happily eat crow if this is a mistake on Ubi's end too though i don't see how they can make that specific of a mistake on their box art.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
giphy.gif

PS5 cant run FC6 with nextgen assets at 4K?
hehe... let see where our 'variable-most-of-the-time' stans be saying?
I thought SSD is supposed to stream assets so fast, it produces awesome silky smooth open world gameplay at 4k with no loading times.

Last edited:
That's quite something considering Sony has a marketing deal for FC6, don't they?

I think Klik Klik 's post on the XBO mention being a slip up for One X with current-gen asset quality is what Ubi meant to say there. There's zero chance XBO or the One S could run this game in 4K UHD.

So that probably means PS5 version is 4K but with lower texture asset quality.

Then blame Ubisoft.

The Ps5 could have a native 4K Mode and then a performance mode. Same with the XSX.

That could be why there's some confusion over this.

Tripolygon

Banned
No. The implication is that the One X and the Series X both run in 4K. That doesn't mean they are identical. We are going in circles.
You can't have your cake and eat it. It is either

1. That label on Xbox packing is just Microsoft branding
2. The support person was just reiterating that hence they never said anything about PS5

Want example. Notice how Xbox box says 4K Ultra HD HDR and the PS4 box art does not?
rvstt5cldwa51.png

display-resolution-explained.jpg

Is 1800P half way between 1440P and 2160P?

If it is then that resolution will look awesome on my monitor since I game at 1440P on it.

My monitor is 4K btw.
No doubt, I think a lot of resolution worries vary based on how people play their games. I also console game on a monitor so I'll have zero issues.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
All jokes aside, if people are so sure this was a marketing deal between Xbox and Ubisoft (obvious scapegoat for no argument), then what does this mean for Tim Sweeney, the PS5 & EPIC with all the praising? So that wasn't a marketing deal even though Sony invested $250,000,000 into them? Hmmm. When the turn tables in Xbox's favour, the narrative changes too.

giphy.gif

Andodalf

Banned
I know dawg. They keep distracting me with GOTY contending exclusives over real issues like Ubisoft games running at a higher resolution LMAO

Ghosts winning game of the year would mean this was a really really bad year for gaming

But did you see the fish!?!?

I'll happily eat crow if this is a mistake on Ubi's end too though i don't see how they can make that specific of a mistake on their box art.

There’s a huge difference between sucking off one console and ignoring the other like Epic did and, as you assert, literally lying about game performance. If it’s 4K on PS5 and they lied about it that’s a huge deal. I don’t think that will be the case.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Do people realize that the Ubisoft Support just repeated what was on the disclaimer, right?

"4K Ultra HD" is located on Xbox gamer covers and that's. That's what they are talking baout that's "only one Xbox One and Xbox Series X."

2. The support person was just reiterating that hence they never said anything about PS5

Want example. Notice how Xbox box says 4K Ultra HD HDR and the PS4 box art does not?
rvstt5cldwa51.png
You could be right here, but i'm waiting for actual testing to be done before we can all scream at each other.

MrMiyagi

Banned
There's probably 2 different versions of the game. The current gen that will run on native 4k on the X1x and checkerboard on ps4 pro. And the same thing for the next gen version which will probably run in something like 1800p on ps5 and native 4k on Series X.

Series X is practically designed for upscaling and 4k, so I'm not surprised to be honest. However, the ps5 will really shine with the exclusives that aren't 4k,60fps, while Series X is practically forced to do 4k/60fps if Lockhart is real, which it is.

It will basically be games designed for a 4Tflops console and running in 4k/60fps on Series X vs. games completely optimized to run in 1440p/30fps on the ps5. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which games will look way more impressive.

No doubt, I think a lot of resolution worries vary based on how people play their games. I also console game on a monitor so I'll have zero issues.

I think the problem might be for people that have really huge TV screens. But I have no idea when the difference between 1800P and 4K will start to become noticeable.

Stuart360

You know how clueless these 'customer support' people can be. I'm almsot certain its a mistake and the game will be 4k on PS5.
Still funny though after all the 'Nasa developed supercomputer' PS5 vs 'A badly bottlenecked off the shelf parts put together by a chimp' XSX rhetoric of the 'next gen' thread.

Mister Wolf

Do people realize that the Ubisoft Support just repeated what was on the disclaimer, right?

"4K Ultra HD" is located on Xbox gamer covers and that's. That's what they are talking baout that's "only one Xbox One and Xbox Series X."

That Far Cry 6 poster isn't the boxart and in fine print it says 4K on Xbox 1X and Series X only.

Ghosts winning game of the year would mean this was a really really bad year for gaming

There’s a huge difference between sucking off one console and ignoring the other like Epic did and, as you assert, literally lying about game performance. If it’s 4K on PS5 and they lied about it that’s a huge deal. I don’t think that will be the case.
Jesus christ, give me one legit reason why a company the size of Ubisoft with a reputation to uphold as a 3rd party publisher, would risk an embarrasing deal like this? I'd like to hear it. For a few million under the table? Get real.

This is just the usual panic mode theories coming out. It's either real or a mistake, wipe the foam from your lips and calm down, think rationally.

Yams

We're talking about Ubisofts ad (see Mister Wolf's post above) not box art. Those two things are different.
It's very possible its a mistake and that the PS5 version does do 4K. I'm sure a lot of PS5 games will do 4K. It's just interesting that Ubisoft's fine print explicitly says 4K is only on Xbox. Will that be the case come launch? Who knows.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
That Far Cry 6 poster isn't the boxart and in fine print it says 4K on Xbox 1X and Series X only.

Dude, it's refrecing everything shown on the Box art of both consoles.

PS5 logo
PS4 Logo
Xbox One Logo
HDR logo
4K Ultra HD logo

Read the entire thing.

Andodalf

Banned
Jesus christ, give me one legit reason why a company the size of Ubisoft with a reputation to uphold as a 3rd party publisher, would risk an embarrasing deal like this? I'd like to hear it. For a few million under the table? Get real.

This is just the usual panic mode theories coming out. It's either real or a mistake, wipe the foam from your lips and calm down, think rationally.

What deal? The game has a next gen version which is too demanding for the PS5 to run at 4K. Why does that require a deal? I’m not the one with the conspiracy theories, people comparing this the Epic game Sony deal are.

When I said it’s a huge deal, I mean that lying about stuff in your marketing is a major issue, or deal. The word deal doesn’t always imply agreement, if that was the confusion, lol

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
I’m not seeing the controversy here one x is more powerful then pro and has had a resolution edge. Series x is more powerful then the PlayStation 5 so it should have a resolution edge. It’s accurate one x on last gen and series x on next gen should have those respective advantages unless people really think that ssd was going to make up the difference.
So you are saying xbox one x is 4k and stronger than the ps5??

Jtibh

Banned
Tho
What deal? The game has a next gen version which is too demanding for the PS5 to run at 4K. Why does that require a deal? I’m not the one with the conspiracy theories, people comparing this the Epic game Sony deal are.

When I said it’s a huge deal, I mean that lying about stuff in your marketing is a major issue, or deal. The word deal doesn’t always imply agreement, if that was the confusion, lol
This game and next gen???????

We should ask if its 4k AND 60fps then i can say its next gen.

If its 30fps like ac vallhala i question anyone who calls this next gen

I never compared the deal itself, only the narrative around it. It's the same kind of conspiracy in regards to the Epic & PS5 deal. Lot's of people don't understand how these giant companies work and equate any "agreement" between then to be some kind of sinister deal to snub the competition.

I'm not one of these people, i'm not stupid. I'm aware that these things can happen but i dont think that is whats going on with EPIC & PS5 or Ubisoft & Xbox.

GetemMa

XSX has nearly 50% more CU's than the PS5.

When it comes to rendering resolution and framerate, CU's was always going to matter more than I/O architecture and SSD speeds.

But people just gobbled up the Sony PR like it was crack and when anyone questioned it we got pointed to Tim Sweeney and a bunch of Sony employed developers telling us how futuristic the PS5 is.

The SSD and I/O controller will have minimal impacts on actual performance. They will eliminate things like load screens, object/texture popin, and elevator rides. It won't do very much for actual rendered resolution and framerate.

This game and next gen???????

We should ask if its 4k AND 60fps then i can say its next gen.

If its 30fps like ac vallhala i question anyone who calls this next gen
What were you expecting? These are 2080/S and 2070/S class GPU's. The only legitimate 4K/60fps card on the market(and even then, not all the time) is the 2080 Ti. If you want 4K60fps, you'll have to dial back on the graphics to the point they'll be almost indiscernible from last gen.

Last edited:
The disclaimer on the back is definitely just to clarify when you buy the “Xbox” version, that has 4K on the case, it will only support 4K on X1X and XSX. Not OG Xbox One. It will def run 4K on PS5.

but it is fun seeing people go crazy in here

Maybe X1X can do 4k with *current gen* assets and settings but the PS5 may not be able to do 4k with *next gen* assets and settings.So they lowered res and kept next gen assets
rPNCqww.jpg

8k on PS5 confirmed?......j/k.

I bet its 4k on the OneX becaue the OneX version in just the current gen assets and effects etc, while the next gen version has added stuff like better textures, lighting, maybe ray tracing, and XSX is the only console that can run that version at 4k.
Yep, that's what comes to mind.
A previous gen console runs the game at 4K, but not a console that has a better GPU regardless. Ok.
They already explained why tho...
Xbox One X would be running the essentially the same game designed around the Xbox One at 4K, while the PS5 is running the next gen enhancements, textures, lighting etc, and may come somewhat under. I assume, if this is true.

This is actually proof positive that the half gen refreshes used their extra GPU power on more pixels too early rather than doing things that enhance the game in other ways.
(y)
Effects in addition to other settings can (and probably are) toned down. I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't be able to do so while keeping resolution.
And Still not convinced.
This was expected, i'll quote myself, discussed this on another thread.
You will see more Native 4K 60 FPS games running on XSX than PS5, not without having to resort to resolution scaling, meaning that it would then do 1800p to have the exact same graphical look of a game to hit 60Fps. Whereas the Series X can just do it at native 4K and hit it's limit right at 60fps.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Nobody is saying that but it's entirely possible the slight edge in GPU performance of the XSX allows it to hit a slightly higher res. If PS5 hits the same res, it might need to dial back a wee-bit on the graphics.

It would be weird if X1X was 4K and PS5 wasn’t if only because clearly they are trying to hit that res on that platform and considering the game is coming out on a thousand different configurations, it would make sense to simply turn down some of the effects a notch and get the PS5 at 4K. Either 4K is a target for them or it isn’t. It’s like them getting the XSX sub 4K simply because they decided to apply even higher settings (like you can on PC).

Regardless and despite what the morons think, the difference between a 1800p image and a 4 image isn’t the same as 900p and 1080p and will take an eagle eye to notice it.

It’s weird though and there seems to Be some confusion around it so I’m gonna call fake.

This is unfortunately gonna be the standard sonys games will be phenomenal but 3rd parties ms dedf will have the upper hand even with no load screens(which to me im really excited for) when it comes to in house 1st parties thats debatable I don't see on graphical power house besides ryse and maybe gears 5 on the x. Sony doesn't have that graphics is one thing they don't lack

There are two equally likely outcomes to this:
1: The rep running the account is wrong, and the 4K Ultra HD is just part of the Xbox marketing hence the “only for X1X and XSX” as X1S won’t be 4K

2: The Xbox One X runs 4K but low to medium settings whereas the XSX runs 4K ultra with RT. The PS5 has the same image quality and effects just at a lower resolution

JimboJones

So you are saying xbox one x is 4k and stronger than the ps5??

The current gen version will be using lower graphic settings.

As an example A gtx 1060 can push 4K resolutions if the settings are low enough while a rtx2080 can struggle with 4k on a modern game with visuals pushed to "ultra"

Top Bottom