• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry Primal gets free Survivor Mode: permadeath, stamina, sleep, food, etc.

SJRB

Gold Member
Saw it on the Ubi twitter just now:

The biggest such option is the addition of permadeath. If you felt the stakes weren’t high enough before, you can now turn on full permadeath, which means your game is over the first time you die (except in vision missions, which aren’t “real”). If that seems too abrupt, there’s also a second-chance option that gives you one backup life, which is then replenished at certain completion points.

[...]

Permadeath is only the beginning. Survivor mode adds a stamina gauge, making protagonist Takkar slower and weaker when it runs out, and forcing him to sleep in order to replenish it. The minimap is now turned off by default, pushing you to pay more attention to your surroundings, and the fog of war has been strengthened, lessening the amount of the map you reveal as you explore. You’ll encounter humans and animals less often as you explore, which means hunting takes a little more patience. Even fast travel is a little tougher, as it now consumes stamina and food.

Takkar himself has also been weakened in a few key ways. He can no longer rain remote-control death on foes using his owl, for example, and crafting ammo now takes a few seconds, instead of being instantaneous. He’s also now a lot more susceptible to cold, which increases his dependency on fire, and makes crafting cold-weather gear a top priority if you’re planning to venture into the chillier parts of Oros. On the upside, the duration of Takkar’s Hunter Vision has been increased – which should come in handy for surviving the longer, darker, deadlier nights that now befall the land of Oros.

The most striking and immediate change to beast mastery, however, is that animals who die are gone for good. You’ll still have a chance to save them before they die, but if your previous strategy for, say, taking down a fort was to hide while your all-but-disposable animal friends winnowed down the enemy’s numbers, you may want to come up with a new plan. That’s especially true if you’re able to bring Far Cry Primal’s legendary beasts under your control; while you can always tame another leopard or wolf, creatures like the Bloodfang Sabretooth can’t ever be brought back once lost.

Releasing April 12th as a free update on all platforms

The entire blog post can be found here. I copy-pasted almost the entire thing because there are a lot of features I wanted to emphasize.

Awesome idea for a Far Cry game, the less arcade-y approach should make things infinitely more interesting and immersive.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
And a 4K texture pack for the PC:

Survivor mode will be available as a free patch for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC on April 12, and the PC patch will also add 4K textures to the game.

I doubt the textures will be part of the patch, though. Instead, they'll likely be implemented by way of optional DLC (see: R6 Siege).

I'll stick with the regular mode if I do another play through. Unless there's a hard difficulty. I can't recall.

Permadeath and rogue-likes aren't for me.

Great game

Does Far Cry Primal have any difficulty level approaching "realism"?

I don't really care for artificially hard games where enemies are just given more HP because you chose a different option at the start. I feel like I want to play this game in such a way that an enemy would die if it would die in real life. I don't want to have to rain 25 arrows on something just because it's later in the game so it's "stronger," if I hit that shit in the eye it should be dead, right? Or at least well on the way. Likewise, I don't want my character to have fucking magic-vision.

I fear I'm asking too much, but yeah, this game more than any other perhaps, because of the setting, I just want to play it "pure," if that makes sense. Am I asking too much?

Salsa

Far Cry 2 permadeath runs are the best Far Cry experience

this makes me think they at least aknowledge some of that

Wow, I've been enjoying the game but none of that sounds like it'd make it fun for me. I can certainly see there are people out there that thrive on it however.

These options sound great. It may make for a much more interesting game. I'm into the one extra life that can be replenished. That's hardcore enough for me.

Looks like I might be picking this up after all.

But what is up with the PC will get 4k support part of this? Did it launch with restricted resolution options or is it about GUI scaling?

ViviOggi

That's a great fit, no HUD works so well with the game's systems already. Primal has been one of this year's surprises for me.

Plum

Looks like I might be picking this up after all.

But what is up with the PC will get 4k support part of this? Did it launch with restricted resolution options or is it about GUI scaling?

It's had 4K support since launch, this new patch brings the option for 4K textures. Basically the textures are going to be a lot sharper and more detailed, this has nothing to do with the resolution of the game itself.

It's had 4K support since launch, this new patch brings the option for 4K textures. Basically the textures are going to be a lot sharper and more detailed, this has nothing to do with the resolution of the game itself.

That explains it. Must have been lazy reporting in the article I originally read.

Raven77

Now i'm actually interested in a game that, arguably due to it's theme, should have had some of these elements at launch.

Kudos to the dev team.

The owl was the biggest badass in the game, I'd clear entire very hard camps with that little fucker. Just launch him, kill someone, go afk for 30 seconds, rinse and repeat. If you are far enough away they never even try to find you.

Great patch but its a game so easy to finish fairly fast (took about 30 hours for me to plat on PS4) so seems kinda late, but I guess good for people who didn't buy. Permadeath is crazy though, I definitely died a LOT usually to stupid shit like fall damage or taking on animals that ended up way, way harder than I thought they would be.

Interesting that Far Cry Primal and Fallout 4 get a survivial mode at amost the same time.
Hopefully more devs give players the option for a more realistic and hardcore experience.

adj_noun

makes crafting cold-weather gear a top priority if you’re planning to venture into the chillier parts of Oros.

SCREW THOSE YAKS

don't see why I need a rare one anyway, regular ones seem fluffy enough to me :mad:

Top Bottom