• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry Primal Review Thread.

Corpekata

Banned
Clearly we are not allowed our own opinion. I hope people purchasing this are not the ones complaining about yearly AC installments.

You're not allowed one about hard facts. Calling it a rehash is an opinion. Saying it was made in a year, and then doubling down when someone corrected you, is just flat out incorrect.

StoveOven

Banned
Clearly we are not allowed our own opinion. I hope people purchasing this are not the ones complaining about yearly AC installments.

The developers wanted to make a shitty game is not an opinion. It's a gross proclamation base purely on assumption.

You can say the game looks like shit (I'm not really that into it personally). But don't assume that the people making it just shit it out without having played it

jediyoshi

Clearly we are not allowed our own opinion. I hope people quoting this are not the ones complaining about shitposts.

I get where you're coming from but the whole "they never wanted to make a great game" thing was a bit much. I'm as burnt out on Ubisoft games as a lot of people but I don't believe the devs are out to make crappy products.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Have any of the reviews touched on combat variety and the improvement curve? The fun part of the previous Far Cry games has been building your arsenal and becoming and unstoppable tank and I'm worried that with the removal of guns and with how automatic the animals seem to act that will be lost.

I'm a big fan of the Far Cry games and I like the setting, I'm just worried that gameplay wise they've done away with my favorite thing about it in order to make a game that feels more different.

mikemandey

I don't expect much from this.. 7 is about right. Far Cry, AC, Watch Dogs have the same open world mechanics just different skin. I'll still buy this game on sale.

Fliesen

First quote of the IGN video:

"It will go down in gaming history for its brutal and satisfying close quarters combat and wild beast maulings, but not for it's startlingly basic campaign"

Perfect. Far Cry campaigns, to me, were a needles distraction from the satisfying open world progression.
(i know it's kinda meant to be the other way around)

Just like Max Payne and AC: Syndicate a 'by the numbers - 7/10' ubi-style open world game that offers a fair platinum is exactly what i need every so often.

Karak

Have any of the reviews touched on combat variety and the improvement curve? The fun part of the previous Far Cry games has been building your arsenal and becoming and unstoppable tank and I'm worried that with the removal of guns and with how automatic the animals seem to act that will be lost.

I'm a big fan of the Far Cry games and I like the setting, I'm just worried that gameplay wise they've done away with my favorite thing about it in order to make a game that feels more different.

I did ya in my review yep.
Its a fairly excellent curve but it hinges on what difficulty you play and your hud options. But the tie in of both people and skills and people and location upgrades works really well. You can get powerful but your also the tribal chieftain facing off against another so it makes sense when it happens.

First the nohud gameplay is amazing. Absolutely worth trying. Additionally the difficulty does impact damage but it also seems to impact enemy tactics and processes and on Hard it can get pretty brutal.

woen

I don't expect much from this.. 7 is about right. Far Cry, AC, Watch Dogs have the same open world mechanics just different skin. I'll still buy this game on sale.

"Didn't touch the game, just read the scores of reviews and 5 posts on neogaf, but I can give a score to the game anyway"

/gaf+ubisoft thread

Hearing that the melee combat is the weakest link is a dealbreaker for me. With such a tight focus, I would have expected that aspect to improve with such a massive budget, at least be on the level of a Zeno Clash or even Dying Light.

Karak

i should also add the animals are 100% a replacement for some of the weapons in the previous games. As in they are used in the same ways as additional items. Its actually very cool and the relationship between what animals work best in one situations are excellent for example if you want to do hunts the badger is great as it scares away would be attackers for the most part and can keep you in concealment but can spook wildlife. The bear is great for forest and plains but can't attack the larger creatures as well like jumping on the back of a mammoth. While a saber tooth can do that but is also seemingly a bit more aggressive which can lead you into issues. The leapord can attack people without others noticing.

Hearing that the melee combat is the weakest link is a dealbreaker for me. With such a tight focus, I would have expected that aspect to improve with such a massive budget, at least be on the level of a Zeno Clash or even Dying Light.
Agreed. It strangely gets much better later on which was weird to talk to others who played it and they were saying the same thing. But its never really tight.

zeromcd73

Never played a Far Cry game but was semi-curious about this due to the setting. Passing on it now based on the reviews.

dEvAnGeL

Day 1 for me, scores are solid and everyone is praising the atmosphere and the beast taming gameplay and that is great, everyone is talking bad about the story and i really don't play fra cry games for a story, im surprised people does o_O

Fliesen

that waterfall in the IGN review, though.

ZjGozok.gif

i don't care, really, but this looks really dumb :D

Never played a Far Cry game but was semi-curious about this due to the setting. Passing on it now based on the reviews.

get Far Cry 4 for cheap, i think it's the best 'current template' Far Cry around. More polish and more streamlined than FC 3.
And you're not suffering from tower climbing / gun fatigue, anyways, so no point in going for the iteration that tries to move away from those aspects.

Karak

that waterfall in the IGN review, though.

ZjGozok.gif

i don't care, really, but this looks really dumb :D

get Far Cry 4 for cheap, i think it's the best 'current template' Far Cry around. More polish and more streamlined than FC 3.
And you're not suffering from tower climbing / gun fatigue, anyways, so no point in going for the iteration that tries to move away from those aspects.
uhmm....I have a livestream of that waterfall like 30 times and its never like that...just an FYI that is just straight up odd

KJRS_1993

Reading the EGM review definitely gives me the impression that the game has fallen prey to what I hate most about a lot of Open World games - Too much stuff to do, and not enough of it even slightly worth doing. I'm going to pass this one, I've played through Fallout 4 and can't be dealing with another game like that so soon.

To whoever makes the decisions at Ubisoft - , less stuff, but make what's there much better. I ain't got time for fifty 'Kill this powerful enemy' missions.

Karak

Reading the EGM review definitely gives me the impression that the game has fallen prey to what I hate most about a lot of Open World games - Too much stuff to do, and not enough of it even slightly worth doing. I'm going to pass this one, I've played through Fallout 4 and can't be dealing with another game like that so soon.

To whoever makes the decisions at Ubisoft - , less stuff, but make what's there much better. I ain't got time for fifty 'Kill this powerful enemy' missions.

Thats strange. We did a couple counts and...there is less stuff. Less than 1/2 the collectibles, and so forth. Weird. Maybe they just mean the missions.
Sometimes I really wonder if people count that stuff or just...sort of assume. I had one person telling me there was millions of collectibles and climbable towers. FYI...this is another review lol.

Jeb

Sorry if this is not related to the topic, but can you use 1 copy to play co-op in 2 PS4's like FC4?

Might give it a try just for that.

Karak

Saw multiple streams and that waterfall does not look like that.

IGN stirring the pot

Can only assume thats a bug. Odd that they didn't check or see it again since that location has a lot of travel which they should have seen a difference in.

Hmmm I was tempted to pick this up even after my luke warm reaction to the games debut because I love the Far Cry series.

Now it seems a little by the numbers going by reviews, I'll likely pick it up later.
The melee combat seems awful though, I'm having nightmare visions of Skyrim's floaty battering.

Plainsong

First the nohud gameplay is amazing. Absolutely worth trying. Additionally the difficulty does impact damage but it also seems to impact enemy tactics and processes and on Hard it can get pretty brutal.

I played FC4 with no HUD after reading on here where someone posted that it made the game feel a lot more organic. They were right it increased my enjoyment of that game massively. I intend to do the same with this. Can't wait :)

A bit more lukewarm than I was expecting. I hope Ubi does not take this as disinterest in the game's setting or themes, as honestly I expect it's just burnout from the series in general.

Karak

I played FC4 with no HUD after reading on here where someone posted that it made the game feel a lot more organic. They were right it increased my enjoyment of that game massively. I intend to do the same with this. Can't wait :)

Ya its insane. I enjoyed FC4 a great deal but the unique theme and no hud here and the difference between this and FC4 is pretty simply.
Farcry 4 was about getting to places of violence and what happened there. Primal is about the space between those moments. The difference being that most battle in Primal is absolutely short-lived. Just carnage of the highest degree and so there is a bit more time between.

For a n hud gamer thats a pretty damn good option.

Also I would suggest playing with the hud for maybe 1 hour then turning half the options off then another half an hour later doing the others. Just to get a feel for things.

Was a little interested in this due to the setting, but between the footage I've been watching in the last week and these reviews, I think I can safely wait until the price is dropped. From the gameplay reveal it's given off this vibe of a title that can be so much more but is only a half step sequel to the wrong games in the franchise, and nothing I've seen has changed my mind. I really hope Ubisoft takes a good hard look at what this series can be for the next outing and pushes it back in an immersive, grimy, physical Far Cry 2 direction. In a perfect world, THIS would be that game, but it doesn't commit nearly enough, nor does it seem to really try and innovate with it's world and systems.

thenameDS

About what I expected. This game was never going to be a day one purchase for me, but will definitely pick it up on sale.

Chuck

Still without luck
That picture of all the scores aggregated in the op certainly looks just like the modern review scale.

danowat

Banned
Slightly higher than I imagined, however, I will certainly hold off a few weeks until the hype has worn off and the true game shows it's face.

I've been burnt far too many times to buy a game based off reviews and first week impressions.

drotahorror

Screw it. This is first Far Cry I've ever bought. I got part 3 for free with a GPU and dabbled around in it a bit but didn't get too much into it.

Oh and Blood Dragon, i bought that because it's amazing. But I haven't played FC since BD. I'm looking forward to it. Definitely going start it on Hard, not sure about the no HUD or hunter vision though.

Btw, I'm still wondering if there's any underwater creatures?

Plainsong

Also I would suggest playing with the hud for maybe 1 hour then turning half the options off then another half an hour later doing the others. Just to get a feel for things.

Yeah cool thanks for the tip. Also I think I'll go with hard mode and see how I get on with it. Looking forward to short-lived carnage!

Karak

Yeah cool thanks for the tip. Also I think I'll go with hard mode and see how I get on with it. Looking forward to short-lived carnage!
Right away? Your a braver soul than I LOL

Screw it. This is first Far Cry I've ever bought. I got part 3 for free with a GPU and dabbled around in it a bit but didn't get too much into it.

Oh and Blood Dragon, i bought that because it's amazing. But I haven't played FC since BD. I'm looking forward to it. Definitely going start it on Hard, not sure about the no HUD or hunter vision though.

Btw, I'm still wondering if there's any underwater creatures?
There are tons of fish is that what you mean? There are also crocs that will kill you dead, steal your carcasses and generally monkey shine you throughout the title lol
But you can't tame a croc and ride it and shit

Try no hud at least for say 1 hour man. Just in a safe place like outside your village. it will straight up change the way the entire title feels.

Top Bottom