• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FAST Racing Neo out this week (still a December release)

forza 5, forza 6 and project cars, all look like they belong in a different gen, seriously watch the video posted, anytime you pause you can see the graphical shortcoming everywhere.
It's incredible how far people are willing to go in orde to not have any fun with a game.

Congrutalions to you, sir.

dude i watched the videos, the tracks are barren and low poly, the rocks for example remind me of dreamcast game, 2d trees, lighting looks static, car models are low poly and don't do proper reflections, or even react to lighting/no shadows, game has hardly anything going on, and top it off it its 720p and looks like it has no AA, lastgen racing games look more impressive, i don't think anybody would seriously compare it to ps4/xb1 best looking racing games.

the game is technically great for a 5 man team on wii u hardware.

Ah, so you ARE just trolling (by the way you describe the game, it wouldn't be impressive even on Wii U hardware).

I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, but clearly that was a mistake.

Carry on.

Ah, so you ARE just trolling (by the way you describe the game, it wouldn't be impressive even on Wii U hardware).

I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, but clearly that was a mistake.

Carry on.

honestly it's not really impressive for wiiu hardware. its looks great for a 5 man team, but there are many games on wiiu that are far more impressive, budget too small, and only a five man team, so it's expected. for example forza 4 on 360 looks much better then this, and doing more technically, but has a huge budget, mario kart 8 , and wipe out hd as well, are doing more technically as well. not saying the game is ugly, but it's sure as hell, not wow, i can't believe the wiiu is doing this.

Dicer

Banned
Lol@ninjablade

OT: Looks great, and always impressed with what that team can do, Day 1 for me and many others and that's what matters.

honestly it's not really impressive for wiiu hardware. its looks great for a 5 man team, but there are many games on wiiu that are far more impressive, budget too small, and only a five man team, so it's expected. for example forza 4 on 360 looks much better then this, and doing more technically, but has a huge budget, mario kart 8 , and wipe out hd as well, are doing more technically as well. not saying the game is ugly, but it's sure as hell, not wow, i can't believe the wiiu is doing this.

Then you really don't know what you're talking talking about. Shin'en had a really difficult time getting this game running @60fps, which has nothing to do with the size of the team or budget, and everything to do with how technically demanding the game is, especially on Wii U hardware.

Stop and think for a second... you're criticizing the game's graphics based on your eyeballed analytics, but couldn't it be possible that you just don't understand the significance of what the game is doing on a technical level, like Shin'en does? After all, they are seasoned and professional programmers who make it their living to push hardware. They've said before that FRN has been their most difficult project to date. Why should anyone believe you over them when they've already proven their competence?

I think your problem is that you're out of your depth. You don't have as good of an eye for analyzing graphics as you think that you do, and since the overall visual imagery of the game doesn't impress you, you find it difficult to properly appraise the technical accomplishments of the game. That's fine and all, but don't be surprised when you get called out on it.

What it boils down to is the fact that you're wrong. On a technical level, there isn't a single game of the last generation that has technically accomplished everything that FRN has. It doesn't matter how good or bad you think the game looks. Objectively speaking, its graphical features are on par with the current generation, not the last.

Now, you may feel that, despite FRN's technical accomplishments, the game still looks underwhelming, and that's fine. I feel the same way about Fallout 4. That game has a lot of current gen features but somehow still manages to look mediocre (graphically speaking). But that has more to do with how those features effectively contribute to the overall look of the game, and very little to do with the game being technically impressive. It would seem that you have trouble distinguishing between the two concepts.

jariw

So wait, is it December or is it this week? Or is it just differences in regional release dates?

I hope they'll try to do a simultaneous release on both NoE+NoA eShops this time (Art of Balance was released on NoE first, while Nano Assault Neo was released on NoA first).

Then you really don't know what you're talking talking about. Shin'en had a really difficult time getting this game running @60fps, which has nothing to do with the size of the team or budget, and everything to do with how technically demanding the game is, especially on Wii U hardware.

Stop and think for a second... you're criticizing the game's graphics based on your eyeballed analytics, but couldn't it be possible that you just don't understand the significance of what the game is doing on a technical level, like Shin'en does? After all, they are seasoned and professional programmers who make it their living to push hardware. They've said before that FRN has been their most difficult project to date. Why should anyone believe you over them when they've already proven their competence?

I think your problem is that you're out of your depth. You don't have as good of an eye for analyzing graphics as you think that you do, and since the overall visual imagery of the game doesn't impress you, you find it difficult to properly appraise the technical accomplishments of the game. That's fine and all, but don't be surprised when you get called out on it.

What it boils down to is the fact that you're wrong. On a technical level, there isn't a single game of the last generation that has technically accomplished everything that FRN has. It doesn't matter how good or bad you think the game looks. Objectively speaking, its graphical features are on par with the current generation, not the last.

Now, you may feel that, despite FRN's technical accomplishments, the game still looks underwhelming, and that's fine. I feel the same way about Fallout 4. That game has a lot of current gen features but somehow still manages to look mediocre (graphically speaking). But that has more to do with how those features effectively contribute to the overall look of the game, and very little to do with the game being technically impressive. It would seem that you have trouble distinguishing between the two concepts.

your whole argument is nonsense based on what shining said. bigger budget means more time for developers, and more talent, usually means better looking games, if you look at the best looking games last gen and this gen, they all had huge budgets.

telling me i'm wrong is laughable, here a few facts for you, there are lastgen racing games with more detail in the tracks, run 60 fps, higher resolution, better AA, cars have reflections, way more detailed cars on track that react to lighting, fast racing neo cars don't even have shadows, fast racing neo doesn't even have the basics down for impressive graphics from lastgen racing games standard's, but carry on with shinen are gods BS.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Ninjablade is not someone with whom a logical discussion can be had when it comes to Wii U (or when he feels the need to defend PS4 vs. PC). Really, just ignore him. It's pointless.

tbd

FAST already has better graphics than said current gen racers in motion because it's 60 FPS. Personally I have no idea how fucking anyone can be willing to play racers, ego shooters or fighting games at 30 FPS.

Camjo-Z

your whole argument is nonsense based on what shining said. bigger budget means more time for developers, and more talent, usually means better looking games, if you look at the best looking games last gen and this gen, they all had huge budgets.

telling me i'm wrong is laughable, here a few facts for you, there are lastgen racing games with more detail in the tracks, run 60 fps, higher resolution, better AA, cars have reflections, way more detailed cars on track that react to lighting, fast racing neo cars don't even have shadows, fast racing neo doesn't even have the basics down for impressive graphics from lastgen racing games standard's, but carry on with shinen are gods BS.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about FAST Racing Neo, you little ninjablade? I’ll have you know it graduated top of its class in volumetric lighting and has been involved in numerous secret tests on dynamic weather, and has over 60 confirmed FPS. You think you can get away with saying that shit about it over the Internet? Think again. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of players across Miiverse and your NNID is being contacted for online races right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Dude is relentless. We should all be thankful there is someone on this forum so devoted to Nintendo threads.

As I'm not aware that you can set up alerts on words like Wii U graphics and impressive, he really is an avid reader of all Wii U threads, because he really posts immediately when those words appear somewhere.

Pinky

Banned
I'm convinced ninjablade has a sensor built into his body that immediately detects posts that praise or favor a Wii U game's graphics. It's like the bat signal. As soon as it appears, he's on the job.

Riki

As I'm not aware that you can set up alerts on words like Wii U graphics and impressive, he really is an avid reader of all Wii U threads, because he really posts immediately when those words appear somewhere.
I'm sure he had a Google Alert set up for "WiiU Graphics site:Neogaf.com"

Otherwise it becomes sad that he's on the site constantly looking for threads that might enjoy the WiiU to shit them up.

its a static shadow that never moves or reacts to lighting, and the cars don't reflect the environment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpCjrIBFMF4

example, look at the way the car reflects the environments, and look at the car's shadow react to lighting.

You do realize that you're just making shit up, right?

Shin'en said:
(About the 4K-8K textures) Yeah, streets took a lot of resolution. Tho biggest textures are used for the shadows.

60fps (with minimal dips here and there that we try to iron out)

Cinematic Tonemapping, Motionblur, SSAO, HDR Bloom, Atmospheric Scattering, Godrays etc

Smoke and mirrors all over the place, otherwise we would be at 20fps.

No, we use realtime soft shadows. So we can have dynamic weather and the games size is much smaller.

(TOD feature) It's realtime. As a race is just a few minutes there are not much visible changes, beside some clouds moving.

SSAO is by definition dynamic, tho it's (almost) impossible to get working in 60fps ;) Technically: Every console is outdated

So now that we have a little context, let's look at a few screenshots, shall we?

screenshot13.jpg

The shadows (high-resolution soft-shadows at that) and crepuscular rays you see in that screenshot? Real-time. You may also note the ridiculous amount of detail in that track, as it is based on 3D laser technology and photogrammetry.

Or how about this one?

screenshot11.jpg

What is that under the racer? A SHADOW?!!!

As one might imagine, when an object FLOATS ABOVE the ground, more light is allowed to pass underneath the object, thus resulting in a shadow appearing differently (notice the soft/fuzzy edges) than how shadows of objects that are closer to the ground appear. This show is also in real-time, as evidenced by the fact that it MOVES ALONG WITH THE RACER. If it was static, it would never move.

And this shot

screenshot10.jpg

Now to the untrained eye, there doesn't appear to be any reflection from the environment, but in reality, that racer has many reflections. They're called diffuse reflections, where the reflections are widely dispersed instead of being reflected in one direction. This is primarily due the materials that the racers are made out of, which don't have much specular reflection (think of something like matte or plastic), and since the game uses Physically-based Rendering, the materials are rendered appropriately. The racers also have Fresnel effects, which is like a sheen of glare, with reflections occurring at grazing angles.

So while you many not see images in the reflections, you do see changes in the colors reflected on the racers as they move, indicating that the reflections are in real time.

Bottom line, stop spouting bullshit. You don't know what you're talking about and your trolling has done nothing but shit up this thread. I'm sorry that you have a problem with people praising the game's graphics, but it's something that you're just going to have to accept. Get over it.

Bottom line, stop spouting bullshit. You don't know what you're talking about and your trolling has done nothing but shit up this thread. I'm sorry that you have a problem with people praising the game's graphics, but it's something that you're just going to have to accept. Get over it.

stop making yourself look clueless, it's embarrassing, here is 18 minute video of the gameplay, shadows are static, they never reacting to the position of the sun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiqRE2E-ChM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faVqbbW6BX4

here is a great lighting done right, if you can't notice a difference get your eyes checked.

Astral Dog

Was suspecting something was happening here.
those are all bullshots. the 720p and jaggies are very apparent in the video, those shots have zero jaggies and are 1080p, its looks good for a 5 man team, but mario kart 8 on wiiu is another level, and comparing it to ps4/xb1 racing games graphically is laughable.

A question, what do you think about Yoshi Woolly World? gorgeous it has all these little details and as long as you dont have the Gamepad flawless framerate.

Pinky

Banned
The game looks fucking excellent. Start quoting my post you guysss.

Sorry, but the game doesn't live up to ninjablade' graphical standards. Therefore, I will no longer be purchasing it. Static shadows??? Fuck you, Nintendo! Why you not give developers super power??? Wii U is going in the trash. Besides, no game on the system looks or will look as good as RDR on PS3.

I don't even understand how it's possible for such a small team to make a game that looks and performs so good. Are Shin'en involved in actual witchcraft? Should I compose a letter to the pope about this sacrilege?

stop making yourself look clueless, it's embarrassing, here is 18 minute video of the gameplay, shadows are static, they never reacting to the position of the sun.

here is a great lighting done right, if you can't notice a difference get your eyes checked.

That's not what static shadows are. Static shadows are shadows that have been baked into the environment as a by-product of static lights, which are lights that don't move. Furthermore, the position of the sun doesn't change very much within a matter of minutes in a game with real-time TOD.

Your comparison between the two examples is flawed because the FRN racers FLOAT ABOVE THE GROUND!!! Light is not occluded in the same way because it is distributed more evenly, since light can pass underneath the vehicles in FRN.

DropOff_A.png

Do some research on basic light physics before you start spouting nonsense.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

You either don't know what static shadows means, or you're clinically blind.

FRN clearly shows shadows that respond to a light source, alas one fairly high above. The GT segment is from sunsent, so of course the shadows will be way more protruded.

FRN clearly shows shadows that respond to a light source, alas one fairly high above. The GT segment is from sunsent, so of course the shadows will be way more protruded.

the game clearly doesn't respond to the light source, i watched plenty of videos, never saw a shadow change position or shape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brf1CyD70Gs

you can see shadows clearly change shape and position in wipe video, in FRN it never happens.

blu

the game clearly doesn't respond to the light source, i watched plenty of videos, never saw a shadow change position or shape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brf1CyD70Gs

you can see shadows clearly change shape and position in wipe video, in FRN it never happens.
That's because FRN shadows of the crafts are not from the scene's apparent (e.g. sun) source but from an imaginary source high above. They do change their relative position under the craft, just not necessarily from the direction you expect. That's a deliberate decision on behalf of the developer, normally done to emphasize the standing of an object above a surface. Platformers do that all the time. Remember this object is not touching the surface but is hovering above it. If the shadow was always from the apparent light source there'd be occasions it would be cast at such grazing angles that the player would not be able to tell the elevation/footprint of the craft above the surface, and that would be a gameplay issue. Just like in platformers.

And even at high noon, cars on the ground would have shadows that protruded further away from the light source than cars that float above the ground, because essentially, the occlusion of light that you mainly see in the form of shadows is visible on the ground.

When the object is no longer tethered to the ground, its protruded shadow is actually in mid-air, opposite its light source, but isn't visible due to the overwhelming amount of global light. The 'shadow' that you see under floating objects isn't really the same kind of shadow that objects on the ground have, it's basically a form of ambient occlusion. And we all know that ambient occlusions don't have protrusions like hard shadows tend to have.

That's because FRN shadows of the crafts are not from the scene's apparent (e.g. sun) source but from an imaginary source high above. They do change their relative position under the craft, just not necessarily from the direction you expect. That's a deliberate decision on behalf of the developer, normally done to emphasize the standing of an object above a surface. Platformers do that all the time. Remember this object is not touching the surface but is hovering above it. If the shadow was always from the apparent light source there'd be occasions it would be cast at such grazing angles that the player would not be able to tell the elevation/footprint of the craft above the surface, and that would be a gameplay issue. Just like in platformers.

This is also true. In real life, there may not even be a visible shadow on the ground at all.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Looks great. I'll await the reviews but I tempted to pick this up.

blu

And even at high noon, cars on the ground would have shadows that protruded further away from the light source than cars that float above the ground, because essentially, the occlusion of light that you mainly see in the form of shadows is visible on the ground.

When the object is no longer tethered to the ground, its protruded shadow is actually in mid-air, opposite its light source, but isn't visible due to the overwhelming amount of global light. The 'shadow' that you see under floating objects isn't really the same kind of shadow that objects on the ground have, it's basically a form of ambient occlusion. And we all know that ambient occlusions don't have protrusions like hard shadows tend to have.
Yes, the effect of craft shadows in FRN is more akin to AO than to cast-from-source shadow. But nevertheless it is cast from a source. It just takes some trained eye ; )

Top Bottom