• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FAST RMX |OT| Gotta Go FAST

How do you unlock more stages? Single player? Cause my son and I have been ripping through multiplayer and only the top three sections are available.

By "ripping through" I mean me in first and him in 5th rank bye the end of the set.

Cerium

Snake Pass is a physics-based puzzler with complicated controls, though. Not sure that would be great for a young one like that.
I've not tried it myself but impressions say it's surprisingly intuitive. The devs have talked about having a natural learning curve; easy to pick up, hard to master.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone have detailed thoughts on the difficulty of this game? I remember hearing the Wii U version was very hard.

Zedark

Does anyone have detailed thoughts on the difficulty of this game? I remember hearing the Wii U version was very hard.
I absolutely suck at racing games and I can have a fun time and have a decent race on subsonic level at least, so it is very accessible imo.

It's suppose to be more balanced now and from what I have seen there is a little bit of rubber bahding going on like most reasonable arcade games out there.

Schnozberry

Subsonic should be playable by pretty much everyone, even novices. Higher difficulties ramp up fairly steeply, though. The "fairness" of the AI seems much improved over the Wii U version, which had some pretty severe rubber banding problems. I came is second by 1/100th of a second playing yesterday, and rather than feeling like I got robbed, I felt like I deserved it because of how poorly I had used my boost towards the end of the race.

mrback

Any racing tips anywhere? Im pretty hopeless. Some tracks i can get 2nd 3rd & most 8th to 10th. Looks amazing though. Cant belive such a small machine can knock out these visuals

Oregano

It's hard to say exactly what they did but it's super apparent that it's easier because you can crash and still quite easily take first which was close to impossible in the Wii U version.

pswii60

This game seems quite blurry on my TV, it doesn't seem 1080p? That aside it's an improvement on Neo which I found a little bland, I'm quite enjoying this one and the sense of speed is great.

ZeroX03

Banned
This game seems quite blurry on my TV, it doesn't seem 1080p? That aside it's an improvement on Neo which I found a little bland, I'm quite enjoying this one and the sense of speed is great.

Turn off chromatic aberration. Single player is definitely 1080/60.

Narwhal

I was wondering the same. I know that they're using some kind of dynamic resolution keep it at 60 fps, but, even in singleplayer, it never seems to reach 1080p. Besides the HUD and menus, which look crisp, the actual gameplay is rather pixelated on the TV.

Edit: turning off chromatic aberration definitely improves the image quality

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I absolutely suck at racing games and I can have a fun time and have a decent race on subsonic level at least, so it is very accessible imo.

It's suppose to be more balanced now and from what I have seen there is a little bit of rubber bahding going on like most reasonable arcade games out there.

Subsonic should be playable by pretty much everyone, even novices. Higher difficulties ramp up fairly steeply, though. The "fairness" of the AI seems much improved over the Wii U version, which had some pretty severe rubber banding problems. I came is second by 1/100th of a second playing yesterday, and rather than feeling like I got robbed, I felt like I deserved it because of how poorly I had used my boost towards the end of the race.

It's hard to say exactly what they did but it's super apparent that it's easier because you can crash and still quite easily take first which was close to impossible in the Wii U version.

It's pretty fun. Both my son and wife were able to pick this up and be competitive. It definitely feels easier than the Wii U version.

Thanks! Ideally, I'd be able to complete the single-player cups on at least the first two difficulty levels, so hopefully that's possible for me. I'm no longer the person who nearly 100%ed F-Zero GX's Very Hard missions.

Turn off chromatic aberration. Single player is definitely 1080/60.

It's so bizarre to me that a feature with the word "aberration" in its name is so common and the default in so many games. It makes sense to me if your character is hurt or sick or whatever, but outside of that, meh. I'm glad this game gives you the option of turning it off.

nikos

Picked this up yesterday. Hopped online and won about 5 in a row. Fun game, but the graphics are bad. Disabling chromatic aberration definitely helps.

Teknoman

So does hd rumble work if the joycons are in dog head mode? Actually this question is for any switch game that currently supports hd rumble.

Any racing tips anywhere? Im pretty hopeless. Some tracks i can get 2nd 3rd & most 8th to 10th. Looks amazing though. Cant belive such a small machine can knock out these visuals

basically its all about shifting. if you get the right color for the right boost or jump pads you will be good to go. also dont miss the orbs that give you boost power

Buggy Loop

I had a harder time finishing subsonic circuits than the 2 higher ones. I don't understand why. Much easier to finish 1st in hypersonic and the upper league (don't recall the name atm)

I honestly think it might be doing some temporal reprojection or something. It DEFINITELY never looks native 1080p, even when standing still. Sometimes it looks really rough. I doing there's any AA either.

Neo was using temporal reprojection on Wii U, I wouldn't be surprised if they're using it again.

Schnozberry

Neo was using temporal reprojection on Wii U, I wouldn't be surprised if they're using it again.

It's using dynamic resolution scaling, so at some points it looks blurrier than others. Manfred at Shinen said they aren't using the temporal solution this time due to the increase in performance on Switch. It also scales all the way up to 1080p in docked mode at some points, while the Wii U was never really native 720p. We'll have to wait for a Digital Foundry update to see what their tests say for where it normally sits.

TheMoon

Snake Pass is a physics-based puzzler with complicated controls, though. Not sure that would be great for a young one like that.

Remember what games you played at 7. Underestimating kids is the biggest mistake you can make. :D

TheMoon

Is there an ETA for the patch that includes multiplayer with friends?

No but I would hope if they announce it this early and with the console being new and all, they would hurry up and not take months like with the Wii U patch back then.

Soundslike

Neo Member
One thing i really dont like is when you get hit from behind and your vehicle spins around. It stops the flow of the racing, and also happens often due to the narrow tracks.

Plum

Loving the game so far. My only gripe is how far forward you get sent if you crash; I've lost races because the guy in 1st crashed and then teleported in front of me a few seconds later.

Schnozberry

One thing i really dont like is when you get hit from behind and your vehicle spins around. It stops the flow of the racing, and also happens often due to the narrow tracks.

That only happens if one car is using boost and the other isn't. It's a method of passing.

febLey

Does somebody know if it's possible to play splitscreen in local network mode? We have two Switches and want to play 4 player so that 2 players share 1 screen. We couldn't figure it out.

Peltz

Yea, this game at 1080p and and BotW at 900p really look fantastic on my HDTV. It's almost alarming how small the device is next to my OG PS4, yet I find the graphics very satisfying.

Zero83

I always "say" the current colour of my vehicle repeatedly inside my head while focusing on upcoming obstacles, turns and boost lines. Hitting those is essential for winning.

Also don't be too ambitious about boosting too much on your own in the beginning. Learn the track layout before going nuts with the boost.

Just bought and damn the games looks gorgeous and runs super smooth. Speed is crazy! Having loads if fun although I keep bumping in dem corners 😅

What is the HD rumble actually meant to feel like? Atm it just feels like a slightly more pronounced rumble than usual. I can't actually distinguish anything from it though such as the direction of the rumble or things like that. I'm using the joycons in the grip, is that just stopping me from feeling it? I really hope it isn't just much more basic than I thought.

Gestault

I did some three-player splitscreen the other night, and totally loved it, but I just assumed the enhanced rumble wasn't implemented. Nothing about that felt distinct compared to normal rumble.

What is the HD rumble actually meant to feel like? Atm it just feels like a slightly more pronounced rumble than usual. I can't actually distinguish anything from it though such as the direction of the rumble or things like that. I'm using the joycons in the grip, is that just stopping me from feeling it? I really hope it isn't just much more basic than I thought.

I did some three-player splitscreen the other night, and totally loved it, but I just assumed the enhanced rumble wasn't implemented. Nothing about that felt distinct compared to normal rumble.

HD rumble isn't something you choose to implement as a developer, if rumble is in your game at all, it's always HD rumble. How effective it is depends on how the you program it, just like how Super Mario Galaxy's use of motion controls is more conservative than Wii Sports' use of motion controls, fast RMX uses HD rumble a bit conservatively compared to some of the mini-games in 1-2-Switch.

Top Bottom