• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fast travelling in FFVII: Rebirth

cormack12

Gold Member

9fVVu5u.jpg

Neilg

The location they pick still has grey fog on the map, as if they've never been there. Not sure how I feel about fast traveling to places I'm yet to visit on foot, that's a really weird decision. I won't be using it to do that.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I’m tired of easy fast traveling, moving a cursor and hitting a button, I get that it’s sometimes convenient or even needed but I wish devs would do a better job at making it fun to traverse the map normally instead. Or make me walk to a taxi or something and show an animation how I actually travel. Like Hollow Knight which I’m currently replaying (top 10 all-time). Use some procedural tech so it’s not the same animation all the time.

I’m tired of easy fast traveling, moving a cursor and hitting a button, I get that it’s sometimes convenient or even needed but I wish devs would do a better job at making it fun to traverse the map normally instead. Or make me walk to a taxi or something and show an animation how I actually travel. Like Hollow Knight which I’m currently replaying (top 10 all-time). Use some procedural tech so it’s not the same animation all the time.
Yeah! Personally they solved the issue in the OG. Only fast travel when you had the airship.

I really don't like the idea of being able to fast travel across the oceans either. Completely ruins the sense of adventure and immersion.

The location they pick still has grey fog on the map, as if they've never been there. Not sure how I feel about fast traveling to places I'm yet to visit on foot, that's a really weird decision. I won't be using it to do that.
They fast travelled to Kalm the game starts there.

sigmaZ

Gold Member
Nah. Fast travel is fine as long as they make you work a little to access the points.
Without fast travel points it really just becomes padding in an oversaturated game market full of bloated content. Cyberpunk sucks with it's default fast travel. It adds a needless amount of time to an already bloated game. Thank god there's mods to remedy that. you never have to use fast travel if you don't want to.
BG3 took the smarter approach to fast travel imo. Without it my 200 plus hours going have nearly doubled.
In the past it wasn't needed in JRPGS because the maps weren't that big and there were vehicles to take care of that.

I like the fast travel in the souls games and in FF12, i didn't review the info above because i want to wait but hopefully it's kinda like that.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Yeah! Personally they solved the issue in the OG. Only fast travel when you had the airship.

I really don't like the idea of being able to fast travel across the oceans either. Completely ruins the sense of adventure and immersion.
Yeah. There are more fun ways to make adventuring exciting. And there is no fast travel function in Super Metroid and it’s the best game of all time. Think about that. There is the morph ball pipes but that’s it.

YeulEmeralda

Linux User

The problem is that no matter how fun traversal is it gets boring after 20 hours.

Fredrik

The problem is that no matter how fun traversal is it gets boring after 20 hours.
Then make a different travel mechanic or shorten the distances needed if a quest demand you to travel far. Or make a cool procedural generated train segment with random loot and AI NPCs strolling about that you can talk to. Or like in OG FF7, instead of a cursor, let us fly an airship, and show the characters enter and exit that with a cool short cutscene. Everything is better than a cursor moving over a map triggering a loading screen imo, it’s boring and a missed opportunity, there is so much they could do.

Doom85

Pirates Of The Caribbean Agree GIF

I’m well into Alan Wake 2, and am greatly enjoying it, but man is going back to maps for collectibles when I get a new type of unlocking tool or such takes longer than necessary. If fast travel prevents me specifically from using it on an already explored path when there’s a main story thing waiting there, fair enough, but for side content? That’s just filler, I’ve seen this whole walk before, let’s move it along.

I mean, when even the Soulsborne franchise slowly made fast travel more prominent as it went along, it’s clear it should pretty much always be a feature. Of course, a few of the “OMG, I’m so hardcore!” people were all, “ew, it makes it less ‘real’ now!” To which I say:

Be Quiet Reginae Carter GIF by ALLBLK

One can just not use the fast travel if it triggers them so much. As for the rest of us, heaven forbid if we think good game design is giving players options that reduce things from feeling tedious.

Killjoy-NL

Fast travel anywhere is usually just a bandaid for poor design.
How so? Like others have said, at some point traveling can become a chore.
They could add fun mini-games or new ways of traversal, like some have suggested, but you'd get to the same point of repetitiveness eventually.

It has little to do with poor game design.

bender

What time is it?
How so? Like others have said, at some point traveling can become a chore.

If it is a chore to travel in your game consider:

-Improving your traversal mechanics.
-Improving engagement in your open world.
-Rethink the amount of a-to-b traversal in your quest design.
-Shortening your game length.
-Question why your game is open world in the first place.

Last edited:

Doom85

They already did. It’s called fast travel.

jeff goldblum checkmate GIF

Seriously, some of the most beloved games have fast travel in them. It’s not a flaw in game design. And most of them don’t make using it a requirement, so if one wants to be close-minded about it, they’re free to not use it. This such a non-issue.

bender

What time is it?
They already did. It’s called fast travel.

jeff goldblum checkmate GIF

Seriously, some of the most beloved games have fast travel in them. It’s not a flaw in game design. And most of them don’t make using it a requirement, so if one wants to be close-minded about it, they’re free to not use it. This such a non-issue.

Fast travel anywhere is not the same as fast travel. Saying that you don't have to use a system that a game is designed around is a terrible argument.

checkmate-chess.gif

bender

What time is it?
Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Bruh, I just went back and read your original post. The tweet in OP’s post made it very clear you can fast travel to specific points, not just anywhere. Why the hell are you talking about fast traveling anywhere? That’s not relevant to this game at all.

What the hell I'm talking about is:

Use it wisely to advance your adventure, such as when you get lost and want to return to your original location.

So you can fast travel from anywhere (where you are at the time of being lost) to specified locations (bases, cities, or "Chocobos" stops). I'd say that's relevant but maybe our definitions of fast travel anywhere differ.

Doom85

What the hell I'm talking about is:

Use it wisely to advance your adventure, such as when you get lost and want to return to your original location.

So you can fast travel from anywhere (where you are at the time of being lost) to specified locations (bases, cities, or "Chocobos" stops). I'd say that's relevant but maybe our definitions of fast travel anywhere differ.

Well yes, if you had said “fast travel from anywhere” instead of leaving out the “from”, I would have followed you.

bender

What time is it?
Well yes, if you had said “fast travel from anywhere” instead of leaving out the “from”, I would have followed you.

That's generally how fast travel systems in modern open words are designed. You can travel to discovered locations and/or set points on a map from any location. Modern design doesn't want players to get lost and doesn't want them to miss out on content, so we get fast travel , mapping, and waypoint systems to prevent this which in my opinion, is mostly counter to the strengths of having open worlds in the first place and at that point, could just as easily be accomplished with linear levels.

Last edited:

Beechos

I have a gut feeling it will be another barren/boring open world like ff15 and 16.

I also have this pet peeve with alot of Japanese developed games where the worlds seem to have this invisible barrier to places you cant access. Instead of making terrain in a way you cant climb or jump on an invisible barrier prevents you from jumping on a rock.

I'm guessing you can only fast travel once you have already explored a given area. To not implement fast travel would be insane for any fairly large map. Even games with amazing traversal still have it as an option

Killjoy-NL

Yes, but time and budget are limited.
As is the end-users time.

Hence, fast-travel exists and isn't an indication of poor design.

Last edited:
I have a gut feeling it will be another barren/boring open world like ff15 and 16.

I also have this pet peeve with alot of Japanese developed games where the worlds seem to have this invisible barrier to places you cant access. Instead of making terrain in a way you cant climb or jump on an invisible barrier prevents you from jumping on a rock.
It drives me insane too. It's a big reason why FF16 never clicked for me. From a developer perspective, It just seems like pure laziness that I can't walk through a stream or fall off of a cliff. Invisible barriers absolutely kill the illusion of a realized world

bender

What time is it?
Yes, but time and budget are limited.
As is the end-users time.

Hence, fast-travel exists and isn't an indication of poor design.

Games with smaller budgets and development times have gotten it right.
An end-user's time has little relevance unless you assume that every game should be made for everyone and that there is a deadline for an end user to stop playing a game and are defining their budgeted within those boundaries.

Hence, we'll have to disagree.

Belthazar

Nothing shown from Rebirth showcased invisible walls on the open world, so your gut feelings are completely baseless.

Also, Final Fantasy XVI doesn't have an open world, it's a linear action game...

rofif

Banned

Yes, that is all true.
Horizon forbidden West had the worst open world. travel points everywhere. I would travel the shortest distances

Killjoy-NL

Games with smaller budgets and development times have gotten it right.
An end-user's time has little relevance unless you assume that every game should be made for everyone and that there is a deadline for an end user to stop playing a game and are defining their budgeted within those boundaries.

Hence, we'll have to disagree.
If your bolded statement were true, fast-travel wouldn't exist.
It's sole purpose is to respect the user's time, adding the convenience of cutting time spent back-tracking.

Back-tracking is as inconvenient as having to travel to and from work. There are more productive things to do with my time, especially in games.

But yes, maybe we should agree to disagree.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

Gold Member

Yeah. I'm not a big fan of that approach either but what I've seen from trailers transversal seems pretty free flowing for the most part. You can jump and swim in water and climb up cliffs etc.

Doom85

16 was not open world at all.

Also, at least there were a few worthwhile things to discover in 15. 16, on the other hand, was mostly just crafting materials I already had a high excess of.

bender

What time is it?
If your bolded statement were true, fast-travel wouldn't exist.
It's sole purpose is to respect the user's time, adding the convenience of cutting time spent back-tracking.

Back-tracking is as inconvenient as having to travel to and from work. There are more productive things to do with my time, especially in games.

But yes, maybe we should agree to disagree.

I don't think all fast-travel implementations are bad, to clarify. Also, if back-tracking is inconvenient in your game, there are more ways to solve the problem than just fast-travel which is why I said it is often a bandaid. And while gaming has benefits, I don't really think it adds to one's productivity.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

I don't think all fast-travel implementations are bad, to clarify. Also, if back-tracking is inconvenient in your game, there are more ways to solve the problem than just fast-travel which is why I said it is often a bandaid. And while gaming has benefits, I don't really think it adds to one's productivity.
You're right, but that's why fast-travel is optional.
So it's a non-issue.

rofif

Banned
30 and 60. 60 looked pretty blurry so im gonna stick to quality i think. 30 fps in the first game was smooth
hmmm yeah.
I remember switching between 2 modes few times and had a hard time deciding but 60fps indeed was a bit blurry since I play at my desk.
And 30fps mode had almost no motion blur so looked a bit stiff.
But yeah, I don't mind much. 30 is fine.

Švejk

Wish this wasn't coming out so close to Dragon's Dogma 2. With my slow gaming pace, this will have to wait till later to get too.

And of course, all the dick nosed douche bags on YouTube are going to be spoiling 'you know what' even with their thumbnails... Oh well. Priorities.

rofif

Banned
Wish this wasn't coming out so close to Dragon's Dogma 2. With my slow gaming pace, this will have to wait till later to get too.

And of course, all the dick nosed douche bags on YouTube are going to be spoiling 'you know what' even with their thumbnails... Oh well. Priorities.
The games are month apart.
if you can't finish a game in a month, you gotta take a divorce or something

Top Bottom