• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fatal Fury: City of the Wolves announced at EVO 2023

Looks typical, but I'm glad it exists. Will I actually buy it? Not a chance. I do hope for it's success though. The amount of money I dumped into this series when I was young is crazy.

Fuz

Banned
Sorry, but 3D Neo Geo fighters are completely soulless & charmless compared to their beautiful 2D pixel art forebears.
Busch Beer GIF by Busch

SkylineRKR

That's exactly what the complainers don't understand. Asking SNK to take a gigantic financial risk to potentially destroy the company yet again because they don't like how it looks. It's a miracle we are even getting this game at all.

Agreed. This game won't have 10% of SF's player count. Its too much to go for more and they are not ArcSys (which is bigger too). A sequel to Garou is crazy this day and age. I still have the OG, Special and 3 on AES. I love this series.

They reused the existing models but slapped a cell shader on the top, and not even a good one.

Are they just going to remove characters from KOF and call it a new game? Unless there is some drastic gameplay differences or a story mode or something I can see this flopping big time as a cash grab.

Last edited:
I wished the Neo Geo was cheaper, caught on, and got Capcom and Konami arcade game support at home. Anyway, its just a matter of time before they come out with a cheap 3d metal slug

poodaddy

I'm in, I don't get the negativity either. Some of you fellas are a little bit unreasonable. Garou's one of the all time greats, if this is even half as good we're in for an instant classic.

Naked Lunch

Mark of the Wolves always stood side by side with Street Fighter III in my eyes.

Love that its coming back.
Hate the cheap 3d cookie cutter modern SNK generic look.
Ill leave it at that.

saintjules

Sorry, but 3D Neo Geo fighters are completely soulless & charmless compared to their beautiful 2D pixel art forebears.

Agree! This would have been amazing if it looked something like Guilty Gear Strive for example. Goddamn.

Last edited:
So? Either do it properly or don't do it at all.
Nobody's forcing them to do a subpar product.
Whether they go 3D with Fatal Fury or an entirely new IP, the "2D or Bust" crowd will bitch about it either way, so they may as well go for it.

NT80

They reused the existing models but slapped a cell shader on the top, and not even a good one.

Are they just going to remove characters from KOF and call it a new game? Unless there is some drastic gameplay differences or a story mode or something I can see this flopping big time as a cash grab.
This is what I'm afraid they might do especially after they added a Garou team to KOF XV. I know they used to do this sort of thing with some of their 2d fighters too but those actually looked good for their time and the stages often looked impressive. I'm not sure if these are the same models but I am hoping to see a lot more improvement in their 3d work.

For god sake please don't make the same mistakes like you did with the latest KOF Games SNK.

Too few stages and the background crowds(at least one consoles) are rendered in 30fps. This Shit is pissing me off.

Reactions: Isa

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
MotW is fantastic. This looks like a budget game. I haven’t purchased the last two KOF. I bought 2002 UM when that came out on PSN. The new games look cheap.

I think with KOF XIII they were on the right track. But its perhaps too expensive and time consuming for them to go with that style.

I think Shodown looks good though.
King of Fighters XII/XIII pixel art is extremely oversaturated, often contains too many obnoxious animated elements, hideously exaggerated proportions for characters, and many cut moves.

Meanwhile in King of Fighters XV you have:
terry-bogard-king-of-fighters-xv.gif

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
King of Fighters XII/XIII pixel art is extremely oversaturated, often contains too many obnoxious animated elements, hideously exaggerated proportions for characters, and many cut moves.

e6fe78940322082b8100fdfa12b2ac3e48aa1e21.gif
UHiZV.gif

Last edited:
Honestly I don't think it looks that bad. Sure it might be the KOF 15 models with a new cel shaded filter on them but it's not like SNK didn't do that with their sprites back in the day. It blows my mind we're getting a new Fatal Fury game. Hopefully if it's good, it'll find an audience. Fatal Fury is more niche than Samsho and KOF so I'm not too sure. Maybe if no other big fighting games are released during that time frame, the wider FGC might embrace it

[Sigma]

Having slowed the trailer down, I think it's slightly improved in almost every way in comparison to KOFXV. But im not that impressed with it still. I'll deal with it though because I love Fatal Fury/KOF/Samsho. I love the name of the game by the way lol.

Last edited:

Soltype

terry-bogard-king-of-fighters-xv.gif
It's like Street fighter 4 all over again, ugly 3D character models, bad graphics and flashy supers and everybody falling for it.

Last edited:
It's like Street fighter 4 all over again, ugly 3D character models, bad graphics and flashy supers and everybody falling for it.
Except they do not have the troll proportions of Street Fighter IV and the resolution and color are on point. Also, most animation studios could not produce something this lit. Compared to the ugliness of KoF XII/XIII sprites they are like the skilled paintings of Monet to the works of the hack Picasso.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Fatal fury has always been trying to implement 3D movement so it makes more sense than not to go 3D. Im still worried it's just going to be garou 2.0 instead of pushing the envelope like the older games did but who knows.

Top Bottom