• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fate/Grand Order |OT| That's Hell You're Walking Into

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrono01

As someone who hates to reroll can Elizabeth and Lancelot work?
From what I've read, anyone can work as the story content isn't particularly difficult. I just want a 5*, since I know the rates are low so getting one to use as my leader in the future (without re-rolling) will likely prove difficult. :/

Wereroku

From what I've read, anyone can work as the story content isn't particularly difficult. I just want a 5*, since I know the rates are low so getting one to use as my leader in the future (without re-rolling) will likely prove difficult. :/
Nice. Well good luck with your reroll in then hopefully you pull a good soon.

chrono01

Nice. Well good luck with your reroll in then hopefully you pull a good soon.
Thanks!

I actually already got my 5* pull, just going for more before I settle. I'll give it a day, as I usually do in gatcha games after I hit my intended target, and then move on. We'll see how it goes.

Tu101uk

As a (more or less) Day 1 FGO JP player who hasn't spent a single penny in that version, here's some general advice for those following a similar Free-To-Play path (without spoiling too many things):

- Use whoever you want. Though getting Jeanne/Waver/Vlad is great and all, rolling for ideal 4* and 5* servants at the start isn't that important if you're just gonna play through the game. You will get 3* servants (either gem rolls or FP rolls) that can be used right through to the last chapters of the story, and the free 4* welfare servants (barring Saber Lily, she's pretty poor in general) are usable even with the current content. Don't forget that for the US release, you will get at least 1x 4* from the tutorial gacha, 1x Saber Lily and 1x 4* that can be selected, which is three 4* servants more than what I started with when FGO was first released :V (and I'm not including your first two 10-rolls by the time you finish the prologue).

- Level Up Mash. Trust me, you'll need her later... probably... Also, as someone else mentioned:
You don't really need to level Mashu up right away. You can if you want to, her zero cost at low levels is nice for filling out your roster until your Master level is sufficient.

- Try to save your gems for rate-up gacha. If there's a particular servant you're going for, you can try get them within the Story Gacha (if they're not limited) but the rates in general are bad. Almost all 3*-5* servants will be part of a rate-up pool at some point, and Limited Servants are only available during such gacha anyways.

- If you want, grind EXP hands and burn the cards for Mana Prisms. Buying everything from the Mana Prism shop will help you on your journeys, as the shopkeeper will sell gold EXP cards, silver HP/ATK Up cards and even gold tickets for single summons, and the store usually refreshes every month. She may even stock rare CEs for a limited time, so keep an eye out. If, like me, you don't like grinding for mana prisms, you can then...

- Complete the special events. Not only do they occasionally give out a free 4* servant that's actually useful, completing events will give you CEs that are usually decent outside of their intended events, mana prisms and QP, ascension and skill levelling items, EXP and HP/ATK Up cards, even Crystallised Lore and Holy Grails for maxing out your favourite servants.

- Try not to use your saint quartz for anything other than summoning (like reviving, etc.) unless you're desperate and flush with them (it happens to everyone, even me :V especially for hard missions in events). You've got command seals that fully replenish after three days, and there's usually no rush to finish a quest.

- Finally, enjoy it! The main reason I'm replaying through the content is so that I can actually understand the Nasuverse story and lore (even with the comedy typos, grammatical mistakes and meme translations), and FGO in general is not a hardcore gacha game where you need to min-max everything (though it will help).

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The first event should start in like 3 months or so. Which would be the Moon Festival event iirc.

Azusa

That's how you learn. At first its easy but then you will need to think what skill to use and what cards to play.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
- Level Up Mash. Trust me, you'll need her later... probably...

- If you want, grind EXP hands and burn the cards for Mana Prisms. Buying everything from the Mana Prism shop will help you on your journeys, as the shopkeeper will sell gold EXP cards, silver HP/ATK Up cards and even gold tickets for single summons, and the store usually refreshes every month. She may even stock rare CEs for a limited time, so keep an eye out. If, like me, you don't like grinding for mana prisms, you can then...

Is there a general overview for newbies on how we should be upgrading/burning/selling cards?

You don't really need to level Mashu up right away. You can if you want to, her zero cost at low levels is nice for filling out your roster until your Master level is sufficient.

Quonny

efEwOcA.png

7 hours ahead of me sitting at a computer pretending to listen to people I don't care about talk about issues I don't care about. Let's get some accounts.

Tu101uk

Is there a general overview for newbies on how we should be upgrading/burning/selling cards?
Hmm...

- Grind the Ember Gathering quests for EXP cards. It's why I always try to roll for Tamamo Cat in the beginning - AoE NPs make farming and mobbing so much easier. I wouldn't waste AP on the Treasure Vaults at the moment (except for the Weekly Missions) - once the events roll in usually they give loads of QP.

- Level up whoever you're using. Levelling up servants increases their base HP and ATK. Try to have at least one servant of each class levelled to cover all bases, two of each with differing NPs is ideal (usually 1 for single target NP, 1 for AoE NP, 1 for support, etc.).

- HP/ATK Up is useful for adding a bit of meat to health or attack power, but the 3* ones cannot be rolled or dropped - only in the shop or as event rewards. You need 20 of each 3* HP/ATK Up card to max out a character (for the moment...).

- Ascending is more or less mandatory to hit level requirements. Save your mats for them, especially the rarer ones.

- When you can, level up the skills of the servants you use. Servants usually gain more skills after they ascend, and there are break points in the levelling that will reduce the cooldown of the skills by 1 turn (at Level 6 and 10). Some servants are basically usable (read: essential) because of their skillset. Levelling them up is a bugger though - skill mats are used for ascending too so you'll always be looking for the likes of Phoenix Plumes, Pages, Lanterns, etc. Events are a great way of replenishing these, grinding the Training Ground missions for mats isn't too bad, and later chapters will have levels that are better for farming specific mats. Crystallised Lore is required to max them out, and they usually only appear as end-of-chapter or event rewards, so use them wisely.

- Always look to level up your servants' NPs with duplicates. Duplicates are rarer for 4*+ but will usually improve their damage and effects massively.

- Make sure to do your Interludes and Strengthening quests. These give out gems and most improve skills/NPs of specific servants in your possession. Interludes will have certain requirements, like base Lv and/or Bonding Lv.

- Bonding Lvs matter more than most think. Bonding Lv 5 onwards produces quartz (or apples if low level servant), and Bonding Lv 10 gives you a servant-specific CE which boosts them and/or the whole party. You'll be grinding for those Bonding Points sooner or later (some shop CEs will help later on, so start saving those Mana Prisms!).

- Once you're happy with your servants' levels, you can grind the same Ember Gathering quests to burn the EXP cards. Gold and Silver EXP cards both burn for 1 Mana Prism, and doing the 30AP Daily Quest should reap you 8-9 Mana Prisms a run.

- 3* cards in general (servant/CEs/EXP cards) are OK for burning for mana prisms if you're not going to use them. I usually have at least 1 of each 3* Servant/CE and "limit break" them with 4 other duplicates before burning extras for mana prisms. Same with my 1*/2* CEs/servants, though burning them only gives pitiful QP and no mana prisms, and are usually not even worth using for EXP. As a side note, more or less all of the servants I have that are 3* and lower have maxed out NPs.

- 10-roll the FP when you can, especially now as we're all (re)starting and the card pool is much smaller. As I mentioned earlier, FP rolls give out the occasional 3* servant or CE, which can be burned if not required (see above) for more mana prisms. Plus, 3* servants are definitely usable and some 3* CEs are just budget versions of the "standard" 4*/5* CEs (Ley Lines is useful for starting a servant with some NP gauge charged, sorta like a budget Kaleidoscope).

- Try not to accidentally burn gold CEs and servants unless you really don't need them. There are more safeguards nowadays but it can still happen. Burning gold servants actually give up a Rare Prism, another currency to use on rare items in the shop.

Strimei

Should I use the crystals to summon or should I save them for a better banner?

I'm saving, myself. I got a decent first pull, Hercules and Cu Chulainn (Lancer ver), so I'm very happy. Getting Tamacat when the 4* choice is available, and then waiting for later servants I prefer.

Anyways, question: are the visual novel scenes voiced? I ask because I hear zero voices during that part, so maybe something's borked on my end.

I continue my no reroll run.

1st full pull after the tutorial pull just got me Gander and Primeval Curse. But the next one gotten me Archer Emiya, Kaleidoscope, and Divine Banquet

So right now my core team is pretty much Mash, Heracles, Emiya and Saber Lily. It's not the worst luck but no absurdly broken pulls either.

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
Tamamo Cat was my tutorial pull 4*, so I'm sticking with that and hoarding quartz for future SSRs. It seems to run smoother than the Japanese version that I tried a month or two ago.

Strimei

Why? Cuz of the battle speed? Lmao. yall are lucky. When the game first launched, it didn't have a x2 speed for MONTHS.

Heh, kind of reminds me of Granblue Fantasy. I was just the other night (while waiting for FGO to launch) playing some old missions for stuff and realized the quality of life improvements its made since I started a year ago. Skill queues, charge attack animation skips, etc.

I can only imagine how FGO would be without stuff like that.

Tu101uk

Heh, kind of reminds me of Granblue Fantasy. I was just the other night (while waiting for FGO to launch) playing some old missions for stuff and realized the quality of life improvements its made since I started a year ago. Skill queues, charge attack animation skips, etc.

I can only imagine how FGO would be without stuff like that.
Oh I'm gonna be an old man shouting at the sky for this but:

- 2x Battle Speed (a MAJOR improvement)
- enemy targeting (yeah wasn't present before :/)
- 40 saint quartz per 10-roll (4 per roll :/ DW plz)
- couldn't use HP/ATK Up cards when servants were maxed level
- no apples for AP recovery
- we didn't know what class enemies were in a quest
- daily login was bad back then (several revisions have happened since)
- numerous other UI changes everywhere
- multiple support servants, THEN multple support lists
- multiple locking (which isn't in the current US version)

Those are the ones that stood out for me personally. Here's the rest of them for posterity :p

http://fategrandorder.wikia.com/wiki/Update_Notes

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Oh I'm gonna be an old man shouting at the sky for this but:

- 2x Battle Speed (a MAJOR improvement)
- enemy targeting (yeah wasn't present before :/)
- 40 saint quartz per 10-roll (4 per roll :/ DW plz)
- couldn't use HP/ATK Up cards when servants were maxed level
- no apples for AP recovery
- we didn't know what class enemies were in a quest
- daily login was bad back then (several revisions have happened since)
- numerous other UI changes everywhere
- multiple support servants, THEN multple support lists
- multiple locking (which isn't in the current US version)

Those are the ones that stood out for me personally. Here's the rest of them for posterity :p

http://fategrandorder.wikia.com/wiki/Update_Notes

Yeah. This game was in absolute garbage state for almost a year in JP. lol.

MildSoss

So what makes Waver so good? I finally rolled one but everything else was pretty mediocre. Have been playing with him on my team but he seems pretty meh so far.

chrono01

So what makes Waver so good? I finally rolled one but everything else was pretty mediocre. Have been playing with him on my team but he seems pretty meh so far.
One of, if not the best, support in the game, even now in Japan. He'll basically be in every party you make going forward.

Waver will be meta like 2 years from now. He's nothing special this moment.

EMIYA probably won't be good for awhile either. You have to do his first and third Ascension before he stops being kind of useless.

If you want to dish out the pain now, there are way better options than those two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom