• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel Part 1 listed for September 30th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dio

Banned
The advance ticket page for the TOHO Cinemas Kinshicho theater in Tokyo lists the first Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel film with an opening date of September 30. As of Sunday, the other theaters in the TOHO Cinemas chain only list the film's opening within "2017."

The staff of the Fate/stay night franchise announced last March that the film project will be split into three separate films, with the first premiering sometime in 2017. The project was initially announced in 2014 as a single film.

Tomonori Sudou (Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works, Fate/Zero animation director) is directing the films, and ufotable is animating the work. Yuki Kajiura (Fate/Zero, Kara no Kyoukai) is composing the music. The initial announcement revealed that Takahiro Miura was providing the storyboards.

IBqjdre.jpg

To sum things up, if you're not already familiar, the original Fate VN is 'three routes' - Saber, Rin and Sakura - as love interests and the stories are vastly different based on the choices you make early on in the story. Like, extremely different.

The original 2006 half-assed TV anime is sort of a low budget adaptation of the 'first' route but they threw in some weird anime original stuff near the end.

Fate/Zero is a prequel.

Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works (the TV series) is a faithful adaptation of the 'second' route, Rin's. The movie version was a compressed mess by a different studio.

This upcoming movie series, Heaven's Feel, is an adaptation of the 'third' route. Also, there's a very good reason why I bet this part of the VN was adapted into movies instead of for broadcast television. This 'final route' also explains a hell of a lot of what's going on in the background of the other two routes - if you were curious about what happened to certain characters or what was the reason for X, a lot gets explained with this one.

Dio

Banned
I love Fate/Zero.

All the rest are baffling and weird to me.

Honestly, I would say Heaven's Feel is the closest in tone to Fate/Zero. Actually, Heaven's Feel (for story reasons) is the route of Fate/stay night that I think is most 'connected' to it. One of the central plot points that would have been a spoiler before F/Z existed is
Sakura's childhood
because F/Z expands upon what was seen in Heaven's Feel specifically - none of that is learned by the reader in the first two routes.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I've been wanting to get into this series, but i have no idea where to start :| Its so confusing to me.

Start with Fate/Zero, which is on Netflix, then watch Unlimited Blade Works, which is also on Netflix.

I love Fate/Zero.

All the rest are baffling and weird to me.

Imo Unlimited Blade Works was fucking awesome, but it's nowhere near as good as Fate/Zero. UBW ends up focusing on the part of the Fate story I actually found the most interesting.

Linkark07

Banned
I've been wanting to get into this series, but i have no idea where to start :| Its so confusing to me.

Fate Zero, if you don't mind some heavy spoilers of Fate/Stay Night. After that, go with UBW and then wait for the movies. But, you can also watch Carnival Phantasm, which is way too funny.

When is the next season coming? I need it

Dio

Banned

If you don't like the idea of reading a visual novel, then it's fine going from Fate/Zero -> Fate/stay night UBW (TV version) -> the upcoming Heaven's Feel movies.

The TV version of UBW was written so that it was more interconnected with F/Z since it aired after F/Z.

Yeah Heaven's Feel is by far the closest to a natural "continuation" to Fate/Zero. Much darker than the other routes, continues the Matou storyline without leaving Rin in the dust, Shirou's comes to terms with his beliefs, continues Kotomine, etc. Don't let stupid meme hatreds of Sakura turn you off this if you haven't read the VN. Heaven's Feel is by far my favorite route.

Like Dio said. If you can do visual novels, do that first. It was made first, so all later adaptations and prequels and all that spring from it. It's the best starting point because it doesn't color your opinion like most people who watch Fate/Zero first do.

But if you only wanna watch anime, then go Fate/Zero -> Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works -> Heavens Feel movies.

Start with Fate/Zero, which is on Netflix, then watch Unlimited Blade Works, which is also on Netflix.

Imo Unlimited Blade Works was fucking awesome, but it's nowhere near as good as Fate/Zero. UBW ends up focusing on the part of the Fate story I actually found the most interesting.

Neither are on Netflix over here, but thats no problem. I'll give it a go tomorrow!

Where does Fate/Stay Night(2006) fit in?

Dio

Banned
Neither are on Netflix over here, but thats no problem. I'll give it a go tomorrow!

It's a crappy adaptation of the 'first route' of the VN by Studio DEEN, infamous for their subpar/low budget adaptations. Don't bother.

EDIT: Also, I just realized, this news article cites Yuki Kajiura as having done the UBW OST. No, she didn't - she did Fate/Zero and Kara no Kyoukai, but not the UBW soundtrack. That was by Hideyuki Fukasawa.

Linkark07

Banned

Unless you REALLY need to watch more Saber, avoid it like a plague. Saber route is already mediocre anyways, on top of that, DEEN made many mistakes adapting.

Also, needless to say but in case, don't waste your time watching Unlimited Blade Works film. Not even worth it.

Magical Dragon

It's a crappy adaptation of the 'first route' of the VN by Studio DEEN, infamous for their subpar/low budget adaptations. Don't bother.

EDIT: Also, I just realized, this news article cites Yuki Kajiura as having done the UBW OST. No, she didn't - she did Fate/Zero and Kara no Kyoukai, but not the UBW soundtrack. That was by Hideyuki Fukasawa.

Alright, thanks for the clarification! Looking forward to finally starting this.

Dio

Banned
Garbage. Hollow Ataraxia when.

It would probably be as hard as adapting Kagetsu Tohya, wouldn't it? I mean, I want to see animated Bazett too but F/HA is sort of a fan-disc with a story like KT so they'd need to do some rearrangement/directorial decisions to make it work in a TV format.

Linkark07

Banned
It would probably be as hard as adapting Kagetsu Tohya, wouldn't it? I mean, I want to see animated Bazett too but F/HA is sort of a fan-disc with a story like KT so they'd need to do some rearrangement/directorial decisions to make it work in a TV format.

I know it is bashed here but Bazett has already appeared in a Fate anime.

I don't think it's as awful as most people make it out to be excepting the cheap animation, but it makes the very big mistake of trying to cram in the UBW and HF arcs into a couple of the later episodes and spoils things that shouldn't be spoiled.

This is the anime where the meme about cheesy CGI replacing the ero scenes from the original VN started. It was funny seeing it in the ufotable UBW anime again because they obviously did it on purpose there.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

So be it. The world demands Karen.

Or do mahoyo.

Dio

Banned
I know it is bashed here but Bazett has already appeared in a Fate anime.

Right, I forgot about Prisma. That's not really what I mean, since it's alternate universe stuff. Well, you know what I mean. She was in Carnival Phantasm too.

So be it. The world demands Karen.

I'm trying to think of a director that would do either of those stories justice. I mean, Kagetsu Tohya has a metric fuckton of 'repeated content' since it's a time loop with differences every time you 'loop', and Fate/hollow ataraxia is similar, so...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

It's an adaptation of the first route (UBW covers the 2nd route), but it's also terrible, so just skip it.

Verelios

Yes, let's all scream 'Fuck you Shinji' from the hilltops as loud as we can. No idea why Shirou's still friends with that D bag.

KHlover

Banned
A lot bleaker than the other two routes, hope a three movie arc can do it justice. Depending on the length of the movies we'll get ~12-18 episodes worth of content.

Beyond hyped for Nine Lives Trigger, hope they don't screw this up in 2018 or 2019.

Rymuth

Hoping this is closer in tone to Zero. From what I read, several foreshadowed plots from Zero will take place in this route
(Zouken saying he will face off with Kirei, Sakura's entire plot arc etc)

Gotta scrub UBW from memory.

thetrin

Hoping this is closer in tone to Zero. From what I read, several foreshadowed plots from Zero will take place in this route
(Zouken saying he will face off with Kirei, Sakura's entire plot arc etc)

Gotta scrub UBW from memory.

What was wrong with UBW? I didn't have many problems with it.

SJRB

Gold Member
I watched Fate/Zero and thought it was incredible.

Watched Fate/Stay Night after that, massive drop in quality. Story, characters, character design, music, pacing, everything was a big step down.

Not even sure what to do now, really. Any recommendations?

Dio

Banned
https://www.tohotheater.jp/theater/029/info/advanceticket.html

Looks like it was an error and that's not the confirmed date.

Hmm, okay. Well, it should at the very least be hitting during the fall, maybe winter.

I watched all seven Kara no Kyoukai movies when each was released, which was like six years total for all of them to come out, so 3 Heaven's Feel movies is hardly anything to me.

I still have the KnK BDs here. What a waste of money, since they were just upscaled Q-TEC filtered bullshit instead of being native 1080p, but at least I was able to scan an interview between Nasu, Takeuchi and Maaya Sakamoto that was included with the BD box set:

http://imgur.com/a/dT6rW

Gives you an idea of the beginnings of TYPE-MOON and how Nasu was a tabletop RPG dungeon master with his friends when KnK was written. It really shows with the 'stats' and rankings each servant in the Fate series has in the VN, although those aren't really expanded upon much in animation form.

Watched Fate/Stay Night after that, massive drop in quality. Story, characters, character design, music, pacing, everything was a big step down.

You mean, UBW television, or the crappy 2006 TV series?

The upcoming Heaven's Feel movies we're talking about in this thread are probably the most natural continuation to Fate/Zero in plot elements and story tone.

Remember Sakura Matou from Zero? That 'story' is properly continued in Heaven's Feel. Same with Zouken the old wrinkled man who was head of the Matou family, remember him? Notice how he didn't have much importance at all in Fate/stay night animated for UBW? That's also expanded upon in Heaven's Feel.

Mantrox

I haven't seen anything related to this series since the first time i saw the Fate/Stay Night in 2007 (around there).

Is Sabre in any of these? Are they related?
Or are these stories in the same universe but with other characters?

Is it any good?
don't kill me master!

I kind of remember liking the sabre story arc, even though i vividly remember not liking Shiro's voice actor.

g.r.e.

If you liked Kirei in Zero, you're gonna love Heaven's (especially the mapo tofu scene, possibly the apex of the Fate series).
If you liked Gilgamesh...
I haven't seen anything related to this series since the first time i saw the Fate/Stay Night in 2007 (around there).

Is it any good?
don't kill me master!

I kind of remember liking the sabre story arc, even though i vividly remember not liking Shiro's voice actor.
Saber Artoria is in all of the released anime. Shirou's voice actor sounds way better in the ufotable adaptation of UBW (F/SN second route), which you should watch if you liked the 2006 anime by deen.

Dio

Banned

Is it any good?
don't kill me master!

I'll sum it up again since I guess I didn't make it clear in the opening post.

Fate/stay night is a choose-your-story visual novel that was adapted into several anime series. Each of these stories are possible routes that the story takes.

There are three 'stories.' One, being Saber as the love interest and the story develops along those lines (the 2006 anime.)

The second story is Rin as a love interest. Events spiral differently into a completely different story with her as the heroine instead (the recent Unlimited Blade Works TV anime.)

The third story is Sakura as the love interest. Another completely different story, and the subject of the 'Heaven's Feel' movies being discussed in this thread.

All are 'what if' scenarios based on the protagonist's choices early on in the story spiralling out into their own completely unique and distinct stories.

I feel like Ufotable is probably going to eventually adapt the whole damn franchise.

Not sure HF needed to be a movie series. I mean, it's dark as fuck, but it's not much more graphic than FZ or UBW. Gonna be anime tiddies tho, I guess.

In for all the cooking scenes.

duckroll

It's all garbage, but the final Heaven's Feel film should have out of this world action and close off all the lingering plot threads from F/Z.

T-Rex.

Banned
Hmm, okay. Well, it should at the very least be hitting during the fall, maybe winter.

I watched all seven Kara no Kyoukai movies when each was released, which was like six years total for all of them to come out, so 3 Heaven's Feel movies is hardly anything to me.

I still have the KnK BDs here. What a waste of money, since they were just upscaled Q-TEC filtered bullshit instead of being native 1080p, but at least I was able to scan an interview between Nasu, Takeuchi and Maaya Sakamoto that was included with the BD box set:

http://imgur.com/a/dT6rW

Gives you an idea of the beginnings of TYPE-MOON and how Nasu was a tabletop RPG dungeon master with his friends when KnK was written. It really shows with the 'stats' and rankings each servant in the Fate series has in the VN, although those aren't really expanded upon much in animation form.
That's really interesting, thanks for that.

caliph95

How will this compared to UBW and F/Z.

I loved F/z hated the 2006 fate stay anime. Was disappointed by UBW though that could be i already know story thanks to the shit movie and expecting F/Z.

Mantrox

Fate/stay night is a choose-your-story visual novel that was adapted into several anime series. Each of these stories are possible routes that the story takes.

Damn, i guess this isn't for me then.
I really liked saber. When i finished watching i imagined a continuation where Shiro somehow found a way back to her world. Bummer :/

We should hedge bets on whether or not all 3 movies will be out before the last Evangelion Rebuild movie.

I loved F/z hated the 2006 fate stay anime. Was disappointed by UBW though that could be i already know story thanks to the shit movie and expecting F/Z.

Won't know until it's out of course, but it will benefit from the increased production values of being movies. Also a traditional 3 act structure of a film usually does a better job at telling a story than weekly episodes.

Dio

Banned

Heaven's Feel is the darkest 'route' by far, closest in tone to Fate/Zero. Whether it will be a good adaptation that fixes the shortcomings of the route is yet to be seen, but think about it this way.

Fate/stay night was written far before Fate/Zero existed. F/Z is a prequel written AFTER F/SN, but a lot of the story elements in F/Z are actually directly based on plot elements not from the first route, Fate, or the second route, Unlimited Blade Works, but the third route - Heaven's Feel, the subject of this thread.

To sum it up, you could say Fate/Zero is actually directly based on a lot of the plot threads and elements of Heaven's Feel, rather than the other routes. Stuff like the Matou family in Fate/Zero was stuff you didn't even HEAR about in the first two routes in Fate/stay night, they only even became a major plot element in Heaven's Feel.

duckroll

We should hedge bets on whether or not all 3 movies will be out before the last Evangelion Rebuild movie.

What's there to bet on? This is actually in production. The scripts and storyboards are probably all done. Evangelion doesn't have anything right now. Anno is still jacking off to Godzilla. God bless him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom