• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fav music from games you've never played.

Pretty much the entirety of the Cuphead OST. I'm too afraid to play through it myself because it looks really difficult, but I watched a bunch of playthroughs of it and Twitch streams.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Sometimes SEGA really know what there doing... and when they do they don't release it in the US or UK :(

It's from a game called SEGAGAGA for the Saturn which was a parody of the console market where you played the Heroic SEGA fending of rival companies.

One of those titles I have always dreamed or playing but never could get my hands on.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
All my picks are ones my friend has sent me.
Oh

pZgy1qA.jpg

emivita

I played Nier Gestalt in 2011, still haven't played Automata yet because reasons, but I will play it someday.

Guilty_AI

I confess great soundtrack actually makes me more likely to buy and play certain games, even if it isn't in a genre i particularly like.

Last edited:
I put on 5+ hour-long retro game OSTs during work, and the stuff Yasunori Mitsuda does has made me stop what I'm doing to see what it is since I didn't recognize it. So I'd say Xenogears and Xenoblade Chronicles have my favorite video game tracks that I haven't played. Below are my faves.

"Beyond the Sky" might be my favorite love song ever--not just from a game. The way it builds; the vocals; the lyrics; the melody; the key change; the instrumentation...It's all wonderful. I could see people calling it sappy or overwrought, but I don't care. If I ever get married, I'm going to try and work it into the wedding somehow.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

From one video game I have never played but is in a video game I have played.

Holammer

There's one song, I have no idea how I stumbled upon it. Had it in my YT favorites for yonks and it's one of the songs I listen to while I work.
Found a spiffy new 60fps/4k AI remastered version.

I put on 5+ hour-long retro game OSTs during work, and the stuff Yasunori Mitsuda does has made me stop what I'm doing to see what it is since I didn't recognize it. So I'd say Xenogears and Xenoblade Chronicles have my favorite video game tracks that I haven't played. Below are my faves.

"Beyond the Sky" might be my favorite love song ever--not just from a game. The way it builds; the vocals; the lyrics; the melody; the key change; the instrumentation...It's all wonderful. I could see people calling it sappy or overwrought, but I don't care. If I ever get married, I'm going to try and work it into the wedding somehow.

Excellent choices, mate. I'm a massive Yasunori Mitsuda fan (easily in my top 3 game composers ever), and I too have never played Xenogears. "The Wind Calls to Shevat" is so hypnotic and loopable, I love the balance between the metallic, string, and wind instruments.

Here's one of my favorite tracks from the OST. Apparently it doesn't appear in the final game:

As for my personal pick, it's Chrono Cross, also by Yasunori Mitsuda! Chrono Trigger is my favorite game and I've listened to the shit out of the soundtrack, but I've never played Cross, only listened to its soundtrack.

One of the greatest intro themes of all time, Time's Scar:

My favorite track, Forest of Cutting Shadow:

It's RIDICULOUSLY loopable, and was my go-to "focus" music when I was studying during my college days. I still put it on every few weeks or so when I'm grinding out an assignment at work.

Go_Ly_Dow

As for my personal pick, it's Chrono Cross, also by Yasunori Mitsuda! Chrono Trigger is my favorite game and I've listened to the shit out of the soundtrack, but I've never played Cross, only listened to its soundtrack.

One of the greatest intro themes of all time, Time's Scar:

My favorite track, Forest of Cutting Shadow:

It's RIDICULOUSLY loopable, and was my go-to "focus" music when I was studying during my college days. I still put it on every few weeks or so when I'm grinding out an assignment at work.

I broke my Chrono Cross virginity last year and was not disappointed. (see profile pic)

The entire soundtrack is God tier.

sigmaZ

That's easy Soma Bringer. I swear the OST is better than Chrono Cross and Xenoblade even for me. It feels like a Secret of Mana soundtrack made by Mitsuda. Makes me want to play even through the game itself looks mediocre.

Reactions: Fuz

sigmaZ

The greatest regular boss theme ever made. I feel the music captures that sense of desperation and determination so well.

Love this track. The change up in the middle blew me away back in the day. BUT... as good as that was I was not ready for THIS...

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
None.
Every time I try to listen something from a game I never played (usually from YouTube videos posted here with someone praising the music) I get bored in 30 seconds and find them unremarkable.

PsyEd

For me it was "Friday Night" from Yakuza 0 by RGG Studios/SEGA...like for some reason Spotify randomly played it and I had it on repeat and then as my ringtone...this was back in 2018. So after covid hit I finally got it in 2021 black Friday sale for $5 and got hooked during lockdowns. Has an absolute crazy story, surreal characters and rock solid combat!

Tonight is Friday...so did a bit of modding to make a music video based on that track on a different game from RGG...and my fav character Goro Majima...aka Goromi at night!

Pimpollo818

This is a fun topic, as I wondered myself if there were other ppl like me who listened to music from games or films or TV but haven't actually consumed the actual source material.

For ex, I can see myself binge listening Ennio Morricone soundtracks, but not watch the films

Anyway, for vidya, only 2 come to mind from my library:
Castlevania 2 Simon's Quest + Mother 1

Top Bottom