• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite band that only released one album?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
There are quite a few bands out there that only release one excellent album, and never follow it up. It's occured many a time, but instead of giving examples, I'll just let you guys point them out.

For me, my favorite band with only one album under their belt would have to be "Pride and Glory" with Zakk Wylde. Their only album, self titled, was released in 1994. It had some good trcks that I enjoy blasting in my car, like "Shine On."

I don't know what really happened to the band though. I know they broke up, but why I never found out. I do know that after the 1994 album, Zakk was in talks with Axl Rose to play with Guns N Roses, but in 1996 Zakk released Book of Shadows, and then formed Black Label Society in 1998. The rest is history.

z8.jpg

RIP

Dilbert

That's a good question. I'm having a hard time thinking of artists who release no more than one album and then vanish. It's far more likely that someone releases only one BRILLIANT album, then falls into mediocrity (or worse) will all of their subsequent albums and disappear from view.

What comes to mind is Charles Webster's brilliant album Born On The 24th Of July released in June 2001. Strictly speaking, he isn't GONE -- he's still active, primarily doing remixes. But he only released ONE artist album under his own name, and the only "follow-up" was a remix album in which other artists remixed his tunes. Given how much I love his artist album, though, it's a damn shame that he hasn't produced any more output.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
B000001Y4U.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Space Monkeys deserved far more success than they got, really superb album - blend of acid house and rock, with a bit of hiphop thrown in as well. The stand-out single was Sugar Cane, which did quite well on both sides of the Atlantic. Not a bad song on the album.

I managed to get a CDR of the studio sessions for the second album, real shame it never got released.

bune duggy said:
B000002B2T.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Layne Staley on vocals and Mike McCready on guitar. Awesome album, too bad the bassist died right before the recording started for their second album.

i see your Mad Season, and raise you one Mother Love Bone.

Gribbix

-jinx- said:
What comes to mind is Charles Webster's brilliant album Born On The 24th Of July released in June 2001. Strictly speaking, he isn't GONE -- he's still active, primarily doing remixes. But he only released ONE artist album under his own name, and the only "follow-up" was a remix album in which other artists remixed his tunes. Given how much I love his artist album, though, it's a damn shame that he hasn't produced any more output.

That reminds me that I should go listen to it. It's been sitting in my CD shelf for 2 or 3 years. I got it for free when my sisters subscribed to KCRW.

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
tt_deeb said:
I can't think of any that truly stand out but some I'd keep in mind are:

B00005RTSV.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

He still is in handsomeboy modeling school or was that his solo?

tt_deeb

Poody said:
He still is in handsomeboy modeling school or was that his solo?

Well I mean, as a project (with Patton, Jennifer Charles) it was only a one shot deal. Did they ever even tour?

rareside

Easy choice for me...

Propellerheads - Decksanddrumsandrockandroll
(1997 I believe?)

What the hell happened to these guys? I STILL listen to this CD, love the beats.

Dilbert

rareside said:
Easy choice for me...

Propellerheads - Decksanddrumsandrockandroll
(1997 I believe?)

What the hell happened to these guys? I STILL listen to this CD, love the beats.
No idea what happened to them, although one of the two guys did production on some other records (Jungle Brothers comes to mind) in the late 1990s. If I had to guess, I would say that the demise of big beat probably did them in.

It was a decent record, but it hasn't held up well for me -- I haven't listened to it in years.

Jim Bowie

What's with the no listing of Tenacious D yet? I mean, come on people.

I agree with the Operation Ivy album.

Also, Streetlight Manifesto's "Everything Goes Numb" is on there.

Also, The Postal Service's "Give Up" is on there. Although they're relatively new.

I'll go with Temple of the Dog, but I have yet to listen to the Mad Season nor the Mother Love Bone album. I must get around to that one day.

Audioslave is good too, but they're going to release another album.

Basically, anything with Chris Cornell = Awesome.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Time to end this thread:

B000002KIE.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Isn't the self-titled Mother Love Bone "album" actually a couple of different albums crammed together? I remember friends of mine having at least a couple of different CDs of theirs back at the time. Same goes for Op Ivy, more or less.

Anyway, mine:

you-have-the-right-to-remain-silent.jpg

X-Cops - You Have the Right to Remain Silent (on Metal Blade)

Brilliant texan punk-metal GWAR side-project with hilarious lyrics about corrupt cops and some of the most awesome drumming I've heard anywhere. Their one and only tour was completely insane as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom