• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite greatest hits albums?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

Basement Jaxx's The Singles, Pearl Jam's Rearview Mirror, Guns 'n Roses recent release are all pretty great.. but these few stand out above and beyond for me:

B000007V3D.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
B00005NERW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00000DFSK.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
B00006JIZ0.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B0000509DR.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

FoneBone

Matlock said:
Appetite for Destruction. 'cause face it, other than November Rain--that was their greatest hits album.
I'll agree that Appetite for Destruction was far more even overall, but Patience, Estranged, Don't Cry, Civil War, and You Could Be Mine -- among others -- say you're wrong.

Anyway, another vote for U2, Best of 1980-1990 (a shame that some of the songs are cut, though... and no Bullet the Blue Sky).

Also:

B00006EXDM.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Not sure if this really counts as "greatest hits," but I'll put it here anyway:

B000002LCK.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Tedesco!

trippingmartian said:

God what a shitty band. I really loved their first 2 albums, but after Tragic Kingdom they went downhill, IMO. They could have proved that you could be both a profitable band and a ska band, but instead chose the shitty synth-rock crap that they did.

Tripping, don't take this as a slam against your taste. I just felt like venting for the moment....

kablooey

Greatest Hits albums suck, generally.

Though if it counts, my vote goes to: The Name of This Band is Talking Heads. :) It toes the line between live and greatest hits albums...

Tedesco! said:
God what a shitty band. I really loved their first 2 albums, but after Tragic Kingdom they went downhill, IMO. They could have proved that you could be both a profitable band and a ska band, but instead chose the shitty synth-rock crap that they did.

Tripping, don't take this as a slam against your taste. I just felt like venting for the moment....
:lol Nah I hear that often. 2/3 of their fanbase stopped listening after Tragic

Tedesco!

kablooey said:
Greatest Hits albums suck, generally.

Though if it counts, my vote goes to: The Name of This Band is Talking Heads. :) It toes the line between live and greatest hits albums...

Greatest Hits do serve the purpose of acting as a primer for those not familiar with the artists' work.

As far as Talking Heads go, if you can buy the Boxed Set.

Boxed Sets >>> Greatest Hits.

Substance

A Beach Boys GH package is essential. Unless of course, you're interested in picking up their uneven early albums for the great singles.

Substance said:
A Beach Boys GH package is essential. Unless of course, you're interested in picking up their uneven early albums for the great singles.

Agreed. Isn't there one like Sounds of Summer or something with Summer in the title? That's a good Greatest Hits album.. :)

Shinobi

cubicle47b said:
Neil Young's Decade. It's not a greatest hits collection but it's close.

I bought Neil Young's Greatest Hits album yesterday, which I think came out late last year.

B00063EMJ6.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Only 16 tracks though...Decade might have most if not all of 'em covered.

El_Victor said:
Does live albums count? I mean, they are more or less greatest hits albums..

Don't see why not...here's a great live album.

B00000DGV2.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

And I also have the following...

B000001FQS.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B0007QJ1PM.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B00006JSS8.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B0000CBIN6.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B0000BV1TK.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B00000DFSK.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B00006LIRI.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B0000669JL.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B00006JYI7.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B000006YXV.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B00004R5ZP.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B00000348K.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

(A bit of overlap with the last two, but both were dirt cheap).

B00006IR69.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B0002XH9Z4.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I'd like to get greatest hits CD's for Hendrix, Lionel Richie and Run DMC in the near future.

I'm also gonna start looking into box sets more...the Stevie Wonder and Bob Marley box sets are pretty tempting. So is the Hendrix one for that matter, though it's a bit out of my price range.

Thraktor

boxsetidx.jpg

That'd be the full Led Zeppelin Box Set, all nine studio albums, nothing left out. Nine CDs, eighty-one tracks, and there's only one song on one album that I wouldn't consider worth putting on a "best-of".

Stench

Banned
Meier:

B00006JIZ0.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

You, sir, have fabulous taste. Not enough Manic fans out there, as far as I'm concerned.

This is my own personal favourite:

B000002G2R.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom