• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite racing games

Wipeout 1, 3
Stunt Race FX
Virtua Racing
Ridge Racer Revolution, 4
Gran Turismo 3
Mario Kart DS, 7
Midnight Club 2, 3
NFS Hot Pursuit ps2
Rollcage
Excitetruck

I should just stop...

Until I started writing this list I didn't realize just how much I really love racing games.

I think it's my second favorite type of game after RPG and tied with strategy/simulation
Unless there's something broken with the game (janky physics, A.I., boring tracks) I'm probably going to enjoy it if it's racing.

One of my favorite PS2 racers was the Gran Turismo wannabe Ridge Racer game ( to give you an idea) played it for hours....

emalord

Almost noone of you mentioned the MotorStorm franchise.

It has an awful rubberband-effect that spoils the experience at lower difficulties but it's really fun.

MotorStorm: Pacific Rift has some of the best skyboxes ever and is often eye-catching:
7525439796_bf9f2df238_c.jpg

7525440294_d4b9c6f5e8_c.jpg

7525441484_5723ed61e7_c.jpg

7525442226_b474bd1c35_c.jpg

7525439506_a1d5763926_c.jpg

MotorStorm: Apocalypse has a greater photo-mode and some well-done in-game earthquake-dynamics even if lesser skyboxes:
7563129394_7618986f45_c.jpg

7563135264_2b625dac6a_c.jpg

7563143722_fc361fbd90_c.jpg

7563191128_4bcb11bc16_c.jpg

7563199734_3c58468333_c.jpg

And of course I love WipeoutHD because of its amazing photo-mode, the 60fps and the futuristic attitude:
5477135887_b1c453cfc4_b.jpg

6905124682_93db0c9979_b.jpg

7035095357_c09f53d1b3_b.jpg

5428453483_c0ce2fcec9_b.jpg

Here are some more I thought of:

Screamer series (PC)
Three arcade style racers by Milestone (1, 2 and Rally). Very rough looking today but impressive and fun at the time. I later bought Racing Evoluzione for Xbox by the same developer and ended up returning it to the store because of infuriating rubberband AI.

RyJxo.png

FRNNL.png

GgWv3.png

Excite Truck (Wii)
Felt a bit like an off-road Burnout. Very playable, motion controls work surprisingly well.

nRky1.png

Michelin Rally Masters: Race of Champions (PC)
Rallisport Challenge 2 was great but I have fond memories of playing 8-player LAN races in DICEs first rally game.

ZjlMX.png

Ignition (PC)
Another swedish racer, great fun.

6AA3N.png

Bonus entries - obscure racers I only ever played in demo form:

Big Red Racing (PC)
Remember playing the dirt track over and over. Was the rest of the game as good?

ApuqQ.png

World Rally Fever (PC)
French-developed, Ocean-published racer that nailed the japanese arcade look perfectly with Power Drift-inspired buggies.

egC5y.png

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Metropolis Street Racer is a standout for me. I'm a massive fan of PGR 1-3 but I have a soft spot for MSR. Gambling kudos with joker cards and racking up massive scores by doing donuts between road cones was hugely addictive. The car handling model and powersliding physics are fun and well tuned. Graphically it still holds up. It's amazing how much geometry Bizarre managed to squeeze out of the Dreamcast's GPU back in the day.

I'm playing back through it now and it still stands the test of time.

bg01.jpg

Kilrathi

Sims
NASCAR Racing 4 ( suprised none have said this one yet)
Race 07
Iracing

Arcade
F-zero GX
Burnout 3
Need for speed 3

All of this at some rock solid 30fps and with graphics that were the best the PS1 gave us outside GT2 for a racing game.

Yeah, some rock solid 30fps. I mean, I absolutely loved the game as well, but the framerate was pretty crappy specially with the cockpit view.

For me it's the usual, the first few CMR (best rally games ever to this day), GT, the first few NFS, Ridge Racer Type 4 and Racers 2, Rollcage and Wipeout. <3.

TJP

PC Sims:
  • GP500
  • SBK 2001
  • Race '07+ expansions
  • GTR 2
  • Game Stock Car 2012
  • Ferrari Virtual Academy
  • NetKar Pro

Console:
  • Race Pro
  • Formula One
  • F1 '97
  • Project Gotham Racing 2 & 4 (1 and 3 were fantastic too)
  • Metropolis Street Racer
  • Blur
  • Dirt
  • Forza 1 & 4

tzare

Motorstorm PR
Motorstorm Apocalypse
Super Mario Kart
SMK GBA
Motorstorm
Motor toon GP
F Zero snes
Gran Turismo
Gran Turismo 3

v-rally 2, mostly the psx version because it has better looking cars and more and bigger dirt trails then the dreamcast and pc versions.

F355 challenge, still amazing.

Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart 7.

Not too big of a racing game fan and those realistic simulation racing games don't really do it for me.

Akito

Not a great racing game fan and definitely a arcade racer guy so I haven't played too much but these are my favourites:

Wipeout (several)
Mario Kart (several)
Ridge Racer (7 and the PSP ones)
Split/Second
Burnout (several)

G Rom

Some racing games that I've played a lot over the years :

4D Driving - PC (and to think we now nitpick any small modeling error) :
4d_sports_driving_03.gif

Deathkarz - PC:
dethkarz_2.jpg

Rally Championship - PC (still remember the infuriating collisions in this) :
Network_Q_RAC_Rally_Championship.jpg

Colin McRae 2.0 - PC (best CMR game, best tracks, cars, musics) :
CMR2.jpg

1NSANE - PC :
1nsane-screenshot.jpg

POD Gold - PC :
35142_full.jpg

Star Wars Racer - PC :
271086-starwars_racer_super.jpg

Ultim@te Race Pro - PC :
11275-800.jpg

Moto Racer - PC :
Moto-Racer_1.jpg

ReVolt - PC :
Re-Volt_1.jpg

Need For Speed III : Hot Pursuit - PC :
9009-need-for-speed-iii-hot-pursuit-windows-screenshot-fighing-to.jpg

Need For Speed Porsche Unleashed - PC :
Need+for+Speed+Porsche+Unleashed+%25282000%2529s.jpg

Midtown Madness 3 - Xbox (most fun I've had on XBL to date) :
mm3pic2.jpg

Project Gotham Racing 2 -Xbox (best in the series with the best gameplay) :
PGR2_15_500.jpg

Rallisport Challenge 2 - Xbox (60 fps, still the best arcade-sim rally game ever made, Dirt series doesn't even come close, would love to have an XBLA version) :
2ralli1.JPG

Gran Turismo 4 - PS2 :
Granturismo4.2.jpg

Forza Motorsport - Xbox :
forza_motorsport_xbox_3.jpg

Richard Burns Rally - PC :
richard-burns-rally-pc-009.jpg

Test Drive Unlimited - Xbox 360 :
test-drive-unlimited-screen-10.jpg

FlatOut Ultimate Carnage - Xbox 360 (amazing looking game and very fun) :
flatoutuc_1.jpg

Burnout Paradise - Xbox 360 :
3084439757_2ff122c19f.jpg

Need For Speed Hot Pursuit - PS3 :
need_for_speed_hot_pursuit.jpg

Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 (aka the Nürburgring simulator)
5229789222_a64fb186cd_b.jpg

Forza Motorsport 4 - Xbox 360 (coming close to having the best car list in any racing game with all the DLC, wish I could say the same for the track list)
forza456epm5p.jpg

Of course there are many many more : Virtua Racing, Daytona USA, Moto GP series (Xbox versions), Sega Rally Revo, Mario Kart, Joy Ride, Motorstorm series, Wipeout HD, Blur, Pure, Pieljunk Racer, Burnout 1&2, PGR3&4, original FlatOut, OutRun, ToCA series, etc...

saladine1

PC Sims:

rFactor
GTR 2
Richard Burns Rally

Consoles:

Rallisport Challenge 2
Toca Touring Cars 2
Toca Touring Cars 3
Enthusia Professional Racing
Gran Turismo 2
Gran Turismo 3
Gran Turismo 4
Forza Motorsport 1
Forza Motorsport 2
Forza Motorsport 4
Need For Speed Underground 2
Need For Speed Most Wanted
Need For Speed Shift 2
Need For Speed Pro Street
Need For Speed Porsche Unleashed
Need For Speed 3 Hot Pursuit
Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2
Project Gotham Racing 3
Project Gotham Racing 4
Burnout 2
Burnout 3
Sega GT Online
Test Drive Unlimited
Flat Out Ultimate Carnage
Colin Mcrae Rally 2/3
Colin Mcrae Rally 5
Driver 1
Driver San Francisco
Outrun
Sega Rally 2
V Rally 2
Juiced
Grid
Tokyo Extreme Racer
Dirt 1/3

I LOVE racing games..

GimMick

My favorite racing games are Need For Speeds Underground through Carbon, Hydro Thunder, Mario Kart 64, and Burnout Paradise.
Thank you for posting this, I had almost completely forgotten about it. Had so much fun with this game. I should grab a copy and finally beat it !

I love racing games, I don't know how I'd make a short list... so I won't try. :p Instead I'll do something I haven't done before, surprisingly enough, and make a somewhat comprehensive list of racing games I've liked. I'm sure I'm missing some good ones, but this should cover a lot of them...

First though, number one.

San Francisco Rush 2049
- This is my favorite game ever in which you drive vehicles. Yeah, I love it that much. My favorite version is the N64 version; sure, the DC version has better graphics, but I prefer the music, controller, and car-painting feature on the N64. (This is also in Midway Arcade Treasures 3 for GC/PS2/Xbox/PC, but that version, a port of the DC release, is badly done and broken. Get it for N64 or DC instead.)

Rough top ten after the above game: F-Zero, F-Zero X, and F-Zero GX (three-way tie), XGRA, Daytona USA, Micro Machines 1, San Francisco Rush: Extreme Racing, Pod, Outrun 2006, Hydro Thunder, Wipeout 64. Outrun 2019 would get the top slot out of that top ten. I guess that could be a top ten, though that lower 9 aren't necessarily in order. I'll go into these games, and more, below.

Beyond Rush 2049, my favorite in the genre, I don't know if I can prioritize things. Maybe it'd be better to not try, there are too many great ones... so yeah, this list isn't in order. These are just some good racing games, there are of course many more.

Top-down style
--
"Ironman" Ivan Stewart's Super Off-Road
(Arcade/NES/everything else) - One of the all-time best topdown racing games, this arcade classic is still a great game. It IS best in arcades, with that free-spinning wheel, but the home ports are good too. This is in MAT3, and on many 3rd and 4th gen consoles. Note that the NES version is the only version of the game with four player support; the arcade game is for 3 players, and the other home ports are for two or three players.
Racing Gears Advance (GBA) - Fantastic topdown racer on the GBA. It's not common, but it's really good.
Karnaaj Rally (GBA) - Ignore the stupid name and awful boxart, this GBA game actually is quite good. Get this for cheap while you look for the above title. :)
Death Rally - Great DOS PC classic. Now has a remake for PC/cellphones.
Micro Machines 1 and 2 - On numerous 3rd and 4th gen platforms, these two games are real classics. I love both of them, fantastic games! They take a lot of practice -- you MUST memorize the tracks, or you will lose -- but they're great. I love the concept and execution. The newer ones, V3 and V4, are good games, but aren't quite as good as the originals... (Oh, Micro Machines 1&2: Twin Turbo for GBC isn't that great. I'd recommend the original B&W release of MM1, and I'd recommend MM2 either on PC or Genesis/MD (it was a Euro-only release, but should work on US systems); MM2 upped speeds versus the first game, so it's much harder than the first one on the small handheld screen.
Super Speed Machines (DS) (aka Top Gear Downforce in Australia) - Good, high quality top-down DS racing game. It's the only top-down Top Gear game (and yes, it was by Kemco, so it is properly one), but it's a good one.

Behind-the-car linescroll-style fake "3d"
--
Top Gear (SNES) - Really, really impressive game from Gremlin. Fantastically fun. It's forced-splitscreen, but I don't mind too much... and plus, the CPU rival on the lower screen actually doesn't cheat, unlike the rest of the field!
Top Gear 3000 (SNES) - I didn't like the second one quite as much as the other two, but Top Gear 3000 is a great return to form. This game, the most overlooked of the three on SNES, is probably the best of the bunch overall. This game has great graphics, great gameplay, four player splitscreen, and more. The futuristic theme is great as well.
Victory Run (TG16/WiiVC) - This game was one of Hudson's only ever racing games, but it's actually a really good one and maybe the best on its platform. Victory Run is a very, very hard, unforgiving game, and plays more like a sim than most games from its time, but put some time into it and you should see how good it is.
Outrun 2019 - My favorite Genesis racing game. I love Outrun 2019... it's got great graphics, the best scaling of any of Sega's efforts on the Genesis in a scaler-style game, a great techno soundtrack, and more! It is a lot easier than the original Outrun, but still, fantastic game.
Outrun (Arcade ver. and accurate ports (Saturn, DC, etc) - The classic.
Top Gear Rally 2 (GBC) - The first Top Gear Rally had rumble, which is cool, and it is too bad that this one doesn't, but otherwise, it's improved all around -- better graphics, faster speeds, more tracks, and battery save, too. Fun game.
Lotus and Lotus II: RECS (Genesis) - By the same studio as the SNES Top Gear games, Gremlin, these two games aren't quite their equal in graphics, sound, or gameplay, but they are pretty good games too.
Pole Position (Arcade/classic collections) - This is the game that pioneered this style, and yes, it is fun.

Mode 7 style 3d
--
Street Racer (SNES) - This game also has polygonal 3d remakes on the PS1 and, in Europe and Japan only, the Saturn, but the original SNES version is fantastic as well. I'd say this is just as good as Mario Kart, really. Maybe even better. Plus, it has a four player splitscreen mode! (Oh, of the other versions, the Saturn version has significantly better graphics than the PS1 one. I'd rather play it on SNES than PS1, myself, but I haven't played it on Saturn.)
F-Zero (SNES/WiiVC) - One of my all-time favorite racing games, F-Zero is my favorite racing game of its generation.
Battle Cars (SNES) - Under-rated combat-heavy Mode 7 racing game... I did a thread for it not too long ago, and this game is worth looking up!
Konami Krazy Racers (GBA) - One of the first, and one of the best, GBA racers. I haven't played MKSC and don't like the GBA F-Zero games at all, but this one is really good.

3d (polygonal)
--
Hydro Thunder - One of the best arcade racing games ever, and great in its home ports as well. This is on N64, DC, and Midway Arcade Treasures 3 (DC version port). The DC version looks great, but the N64 version is the only one with 4-player splitscreen.
Wipeout 64 - My favorite 5th gen Wipeout game. Outstanding! N64.
Rollcage - At least as good as any Wipeout games, it's too bad this series died. PS1/PC.
Rollcage Stage II (aka Death Track Racing on the US PC release) - even better than the first version! The PS1 version looks nice for the platform, but get this on PC if you want it to look its best. Have for PC.
Pod (PC) - One of my favorite racing games, Pod's a highly under-rated classic. The game has scores of tracks, great gameplay, and more.
Wipeout Fusion - Impressive effort on the PS2 in the series.
Wipeout (Saturn version) - The PS1 version's really frustrating, but I like the improved controls in the Saturn port.
Excite Truck (Wii) - Simple, but fun!
Daytona USA (Arcade/Saturn/Dreamcast/etc.) - A great classic, one of the best racing games of its time... but you know, I don't think that there is a perfect version of this. The Dreamcast version has the most content by far -- it's the only one with eight tracks -- but it's got really touchy controls... still, because of content, it is the best release. For controls, I actually prefer the first Saturn release... yes, I like it.
Sega Rally Championship - Super short, but such a good game!
Moto Racer 2 (PC) - I loved the first Moto Racer as well, but the second one's even better. These are two of my favorite motorcycle racing games ever! It's just really too bad that after this game, they took the series in a sim direction... it really ruined the arcadey brilliance of the first two.
Need for Speed: High Stakes and Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010) (both for PC) - The two best Need or Speed games, in my opinion. Both are very much still worth playing!
Mario Kart 64 and Mario Kart Wii - My favorite games in this franchise.
Speed Zone by Archer Maclean (Wii) - This game has really tough controls nad takes a LOT of getting used to, but if you like Rollcage, try it. It is good.
Trackmania series - They're all good. Play some of them on the PC. For consoles, the Wii one's best.
Virtua Racing (Arcade, 32X (V.R. Deluxe), Saturn, PS2 versions) - Sega's first great polygonal racing game, and yes, it's a very good game! The Saturn version is probably the best one thanks to five Saturn-exclusive tracks. Get the Saturn wheel if you really like it, it hugely improves the controls. Note that there are two other tracks exclusive to the 32X version; the Saturn and 32X added tracks (above the base three) are different, and the later ports, like the PS2 remake, don't include any from either of them. The 32X version is pretty good too.
Driver (PC) - Great driving game. Quite hard, but great fun despite that. Too bad about most of the sequels...
Top Gear Rally - (N64) The most popular N64 Top Gear game, Top Gear Rally is a great game I'd highly recommend.
Top Gear Overdrive (N64) - The second N64 Top Gear game. It's much more arcadey, and a bit more like the SNES games. It's short, but fantastic while it lasts.
Top Gear Hyper-Bike (N64) - Highly under-rated, the last of the four N64 Top Gear games is great as well! It's not as good as Excitebike 64, but it is really good.
Excitebike 64 (N64) - One of the very best motorcycle racing games ever made, Excitebike 64 is an all-time classic. The game has a huge featureset, too. Lots to do here. This is right up there with Moto Racer 2 in my "best motorcycle racing games" list.
Speed Racer The Videogame (Wii) - This isn't quite Wipeout or F-Zero in quality, but it is a quite fun little futuristic racing game.
XG2: Extreme-G 2 (N64/PC) - The first XG was a good game, but XG2 is even better. This was one of my favorite racing games for a while. The graphics have aged since then, but the gameplay holds up fairly well, though XGRA does surpass it for sure. The PC version has a much better soundtrack and framerate than the N64, but has no multiplayer.
XGRA: Extreme-G Racing Association (GC/PS2/Xbox) - This game is one of my favorite racing games ever! In fact, I've often considered XGRA as my #1 favorite 6th gen racing game, just ahead of F-Zero GX. Yes, it's that good. XGRA is simple, but has depth; it's easy, but has replay value and additional goals to add challenge; it's got a great soundtrack (if you set it to Dance only, ignore the Rock half!); the track designs are fantastic and varied, and just crush XGIII's bland courses; and more. But above all else, it's fun. XGRA feels like a game designed to be fun first, and they succeeded. There are very few racing games more fun than this one.
Hard Drivin' and Race Drivin' (Arcade versions) - One of the first good, serious polygonal racing games, Hard Drivin was a really impressive game back when it came out. It's aged very badly since then, but is at least a really interesting piece of history. There was nothing else like it back when Hard Drivin' first hit!
Wave Race 64 (N64) - Wave Race 64 is an outstanding game, and still, probably, is the best jetski racing game ever. The sequel, Blue Storm, is good too, but not quite as good.
1080 Avalanche (GC) - An under-rated classic, I actually like this sequel to 1080 more than the original.
F-Zero X (N64) - Another one of my favorites. I can never decide between the three F-Zero games, they're all just so, so great...
F-Zero GX (GC) - Just as good as the first two, just a lot harder.
4 Wheel Thunder (Dreamcast) - Very tough game, but great fun and rewarding! This is from the team who also did Ultim@te Race Pro, and it's better than that game for sure (and that was a fun one too).
Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast (PS2/PC/Xbox/PSP) - A truly fantastic racing game, this is one of Sega's best ever! Yes, it's that good. Outrun 2006 has that perfect mix, with the great Outrun gameplay, good graphics, lots of content, plenty of challenge, and more. Absolutely fantastic game.
Crazy Taxi (Arcade/DC) - Not sure if this is really a racing game, but if it is, it's well deserving of being on this list for sure.
Suzuki Alstare Extreme Racing (PC/DC) - The sequel to Redline Racer (PC), this game's great fun. Nice graphics, too! This is fun arcade motorcycle racing done well, Moto Racer-style.
Quantum Redshift (Xbox) - Maybe my favorite Xbox racing game, this futuristic racing game may not be the most original thing, but it is pretty good.
Carmageddon (PC) - Crazy stuff, but fun.
San Francisco Rush: Extreme Racing (N64) / San Francisco Rush The Rock: Alcatraz Edition (Arcade/MAT3) - One of the best racing games ever, this second version of the first Rush game is about as good as it gets. The only real flaw is that AI is really too hard (Rush 2 fixes that, even if its tracks aren't as good), but otherwise this is one of the best ever. Note that the PS1 game's not the same as this, it's a port of the original version and is bad. The N64 version has the most content, stuff like the coins are N64 exclusives.
Snowboard Kids 2 (N64) - This is a very good kart racing style game. Lots of fun.
Pod 2: Speed Zone/b] (DC) - This isn't a game probably anyone else would put on a list like this, and it's maybe a quarter as good as the incredible original Pod is, but even so, it's still fun enough that I think I'm justified putting it here.
Big Mountain 2000 (N64) - This is another game probably no one else would list here, but I like a lot.
Beetle Adventure Racing (N64) - I'd rank this below the Rush series for sure, but it is among the N64's better racing games. Very fun game.
Diddy Kong Racing and Mickey's Speedway USA (N64) - Rare's two N64 kart racers are both great! Most people know DKR, but Mickey's Speedway really is good as well.

non-polygonal: Honorable Mentions (games not good enough for the main list, but worth mentioning)
--
Top Gear 2, Super R.C. Pro-Am, R.C. Pro-Am, R.C. Pro-Am II, Micro Machines V3, Micro Machines V4 (worst of the series), Circuit Breakers (good Micro Machines-style game), Outrun 3-D (Master System, with glasses), Power Drift, Formula 1 World Championship: Beyond the Limit (impressive visuals for the SCD), Kyle Petty's No Fear Racing, Super Mario Kart, Excitebike, Monaco Grand Prix (Game Gear ver.; super simplistic but amusing), Wave Race (GB), Banjo-Pilot, World Grand Prix (SMS)

3d polygonal: Honorable Mentions (many of these are good enough for the main list, actually.)
--
The Need for Speed SE, Need for Speed II SE, Road Rash 3D, Top Gear Rally 2, Re/Volt (PC/DC vers.), Powerslide, Drome Racers (from the people who made Rollcage!), Extreme-G, Extreme-G III, Motorhead, Metropolis Street Racer, Mario Kart DS, Wave Race: Blue Storm, SSX 3, 1080 Degrees Snowboarding, Big Mountain 2000, Rush 2: Extreme Racing USA, Wipeout XL, Wipeout Pure, Wipeout 3, Arctic Thunder, Dakar 2, the Cruis'n series (Arcade/N64/Wii; yes, I find them fun games. And yes, that includes Cruis'n for the Wii. The only bad Cruis'n titles are the GBC and GBA ones.), Blur, Burnout, Burnout 2, Test Drive 4, 5, and 6 (better than they might seem! All three are fun.), Split/Second, SkyDrift, FAST Racing League, Sled Storm (PS1), Kirby Air Ride (could have been great had it had a single player game too, but this is just for multiplayer.), Ridge Racer 64, Ridge Racer 2 (PSP), Ultim@te Race Pro (should have had a championship mode), Screamer, Screamer 2, Kinetica, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 (PS2 ver.), Outrun 2 (Arcade/Xbox), Speed Devils/Speed Busters (DC/PC), Carmageddon 64 (sometimes considered the worst game on the N64, but I like it), Micro Machines (PS2), Power Drome (PS2/Xbox), Badlands (Arcade/MAT3), Super Sprint (Arcade/NES/MAT3), Indy Racing 2000 (N64), Vanishing Point (DC), SBK: Snowboard Kids (DS; mediocre reviews, but I like it well enough), Star Wars Episode I Racer, Dethkarz, Hi Octane, Network-Q RAC Rally Championship (kind of boring but okay), RalliSport Challenge 1 or 2, San Francisco Rush 2049 (Arcade; it's quite different from the console game), Demolition Racer (DC)

dokish

Banned
I completely forgot about Motorstorm in my original post. I wasn't a big fan of Pacific Rift, but the rest of the series I've completely loved with Apocalypse being my absolute favorite.

Really was a shame what happened to them with Apocalypse and the Japanese earthquake/tsunami (they discussed it a bit when I interviewed them ahead of the Vita launch) but RC's done wonders, it seems.

Can't wait to see what they do next, be it another AAA Motorstorm or something else.
Didn't play Apocalypse yet, is it any good? I Liked Pacific Rift, but dunno, something was off. I still prefer the first one. Damn, I played that shit a loooot. The best OST IMO.

KSai

San Francisco Rush 2049
- This is my favorite game ever in which you drive vehicles. Yeah, I love it that much. My favorite version is the N64 version; sure, the DC version has better graphics, but I prefer the music, controller, and car-painting feature on the N64. (This is also in Midway Arcade Treasures 3 for GC/PS2/Xbox/PC, but that version, a port of the DC release, is badly done and broken. Get it for N64 or DC instead.)
This game! I played the stunt mode so much. Flying through the air, spin, spin, spin.

Melchiah

C64
Racing Destruction Set (one of the first games with a track editor, I made countless tracks with it)

Amiga
Stunt Car Racer (loved its rollercoaster-like feel)

PS1
WipEout 2097
Demolition Racer (better than FlatOut on PS2, better controls, and you actually had CPU competitors in the two player mode)

PS2
SSX (yes, I consider it racing)

PS3
WipEout HD (+Fury)
MotorStorm Apocalypse

Too many favorites for me to count. But the racing game genre has always been one of, if not the strongest category of quality games I've ever known.

An additional vote for Re-Volt as one of my favorites, all-that-said. It's the best RC-car racing game and driving simulator yet made, and it deserves more attention for its awesomeness.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
thread made me recall a old game I played in 2000 or something...Rally Championship

mobil+1+rally+championship2.jpg

it was ace. Graphics were phenomenal for the time

Auskeek

Getting a bit retro here, but Top Gear/Racer on the SNES was amazing fun. Definitely the first racing game I enjoyed, and although I haven't played it in a while I remember it fondly.

It blew my brain at the time. Needing to take pit stops to replenish fuel? CRAZY!

123670-top-gear-snes-screenshot-travelling-for-germany-our-racers.png

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
In no particular order.....

++iRacing

++Ridge Racer 7

++Ridge Racer 5

++OutRun 2SP

++F-ZeroGX

++Scud Race

++Daytona USA

++Daytona 2

++Dirt 3

++F1 2010

++GRID

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
ill do a top 10
road rash
super off road
micro machines
mario kart
san francisco rush 2049
rock n roll racing
fzero
outrun
burnout paradise
hangon

Not the best by any means, and I love other racing games also, but im going to go out of the ordinary and say this:
217-1.jpg

bbec5_Big_red_racing.png

bigred1.gif

concoursweare_09.jpg

It was awesome.
You went around the world (and the moon and mars) in different races and each race had different type of vehicles (2 for each race to choose with different parameters).
From normal cars, to rovers, to bettles, to construction vehicles, big damn trucks, helicopters, boats, AND EVEN MOON ROVERS AND UFOS!
You could go off road (but you needed to pass the checkpoints) and the it had fun wacky physics, and it had really fun quotes and sounds, like the racing announcer that changed form country to country.
I had a balst when i was smaller palying the game.
I would love to see a remake of this game.

Myriadis

F-Zero GX is my all time favorite.
Mario Kart Wii is the best Mario Kart, had a lot of fun with friends. Haven't played the DS one, though, maybe that'll change my opinion.
Midnight Club Los Angeles is excellent, I personally have a lot of fun with this.
Need For Speed Most Wanted is my favorite Need for Speed so far.
Burnout 3 is excellent, but the extreme rubberbanding really destroys the game.

gtmax

I don't often play games. But when i pretend i want to drive a car, there's only this:

enthusia-professional-racing-20050127051729742.jpg

So much better than GT franchise i never went back to it. I'm still trying to find a US version since i only now have the JPN version - but no JPN ps2.

http://youtu.be/dkvH9CvrkVQ

cajunator

Banned
Need for Speed SE
Need For Speed 2SE
Need for Speed 3 Hot Pursuit
Need for Speed High Stakes
Need for Speed Porsche Unleashed
Need For speed hot Pursuit 2

Burnout 3

Test Drive off road

Forza 3