• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite racing games

bryehn

Test Drive.

The Need for Speed.

Hard Drivin'.

Wipeout.

Rollcage.

NFS: Hot Pursuit 2

Freekstyle/Sled Storm.

NFS: Underground.

Burnout 3/Revenge.

SSX 3.

Pure.

Forza 3/4.

I've never liked racing games....the only one I have ever really owned (besides excitebike and RC pro AM) and LOVED is R4: Ridge Racer Revolution for ps1....oh man, I remember playing it over and over unlocking ALL the cars. I never got that jog con controller for it, but boy did I want it badly.

rjc571

Banned
BURNING ROAD!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUwqNMY_yIA&feature=g-u-u

Sure it was a shameless Daytona ripoff, but it was an extremely well-done one, and the vehicles and locales gave it its own quirky feel. It also had one of the most cheesingly awesome buttrock soundtracks ever, which was characteristic of a mid-90s CD-based game with in-your-face "extreme" attitude.

It had a sequel called Explosive Racing, which ramped up the extreme awesomeness to never-before-seen levels, but unfortunately it wasn't released in the US.

Sony, please release these games on PSN!

Didn't think anyone else on this earth played that game. It's funny, at the time I never made the Daytona USA clone connection, though it's fairly obvious now that's exactly what it was. French developers, if I recall correctly. I also remember there being 2 different music modes, 1 remix and 1 "original." Never understood what "original" meant as I was sure this was the first game in the series, though I could be wrong about that.

Also remember the game being hard as fuck towards the end (3rd course).

Burnout 3/Revenge and Mario Kart Double Dash. I loved F-Zero GX even though it kicked my ass. Nascar Rumble was fun too.

I see a lot of people say they didn't like Burnout Revenge yet they like 3. How come?

Jamesways

Currnet favorites-
Fortsaaahhh 4- love it. Just needs more tracks
7249253380_d3d6c31fd7_z.jpg

Race Pro- Ugly as sin, best physics on the 360. Yeah, I said it. Great track list too.
race-pro-20080716003509213.jpg

PGR3- Prefer it to 4 actually. Crazy I know.
PGR3-2.gif

MotoGP 08- Shame Miletsone didn't get a chance for a follow up. My favorite bike game.
37337_MotoGP08-18.jpg

NFS Shift- I know people hate it, but I just can't stop playing it. Love the cockpits and lighting. Do a little tweaking with settings and tunings in certain cars, and it's a ton of fun.
I prefer it to 2, both handles and looks better IMO.
need_for_speed_shift_4640.jpg

389603-need-for-speed-shift-windows-screenshot-fast-uphill-corner.jpg

Other/ Ye Oldie favorites-
GT3, GT4
MotoGP 06, 07
Dirt 1
WRC on ps2
Tourist Trophy
Tokyo Extreme Racer on Dreamcast
WRC 2 on 360
Forza 1
Enthusia
SBK 08, X
Grid

Skyzard

Banned
Wipeout. I bet it's not too far off what F1 racing drivers felt 20-30 years ago.

Blur, of course. Grid was a treat too. Gran Turismo is the staple, with Trackmania (2) being tonnes of fun too.

Here's hoping Sega & Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed delivers as well.

Empty

tossup

RidgeRacerType4-3-e1298679795414.png

ridge racer type four

moving to the beat, movin' movin'

it's not the most complex rr game, lacking the technical drifts of v, but the experience here is so so good i don't give a damn about its relative simplicity. the game oozes style from the opening cg scene to the yellow menus, the conversations with the racers, the beautiful tracks and the godly soundtrack. it's just a cool place to spend time in. then the feel is excellent, with the accessible drift mechanics creating this lovely flow as you slide round every corner - with near outrun levels of making drifting the best thing in the world - and move through the pack to first place that's so much fun.

wipeout hd-fury

wipeout-hd-sol2.jpg

just this magnificent synthesis between visuals, music and amazing high speed racing. it's super intense all the time in the best way and so rewarding as you master your craft and start whipping through the technical corners. the only downside is that i was already familiar with the tracks from the psp, but the game benefits so much from being in hd that it's my favourite in the series.

Despite being absurdly expensive to play, me not being the target audience at all, and only being average at the game at best...

I love me some iRacing.

I think it's just the pickup league environment, and always being able to find a (mostly) clean race that makes me gravitate towards it.

Videoneon

How could I have forgotten Crash Team Racing? I loved that game as a kid.

But I'm worried that if I played it again, it wouldn't hold up.

BadAss2961

The MotorStorm series just about killed all other arcade racers for me... It's super competitive, absolutely brutal in nature, and simply has superior track design to everything else.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
World Driver Championship (N64) - One of the racing (and best looking) games for N64. It's an arcade game yet realistic. I spent countless hours playing this on N64.
gtworld4-93235.jpg

Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 (PS2 version) - Great variety of cars. Excellent track design. Tons of unlockables and replay value. It's also damn pretty. I wish there were more games like it.
NFSHP2_PS2_SCR_09-261633.jpg

F-Zero GX (GC) - There's not a whole lot to say about this game that hasn't already been said. There's a ton of content and great gameplay which leads to a very high replay value. The graphics are also amazing. The sense of speed and sense of anticipation will keep you on the edge of your seat.
5985_2004-03-22_10-713060.jpg

Mario Kart: Double Dash (GC) - Screw the haters! This is my favorite MK game. The ability to switch between characters allows you better inventory management. You also have special abilities based on your character. Unfortunately, it is unbalanced because some characters weapons are more powerful - giant bananas on the bridge in DK Mountain will ruin anyone behind you. The game is also one of the few on GC that supports LAN parties. It's a great multiplayer game.
6372_2004-03-22_01-722892.jpg

Ridge Racer 7 (PS3) - I didn't get introduced to the RR series until the PSP came out and instantly fell in love. I then got the 360 version and PS3 version. The PS3 version is the best imo. It does just about everything I want out of a racer. There's a ton of tracks, cars and upgrades you can make to your car. It's also one of the few games that has native 1080p and 60 fps this gen. It's stunning to look at.
ridge-racer-7-20060906010519598-1659319.jpg

Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit (PC) - It would be silly for me not to mention this game. I've had a lot of fun with it over the past 2 years, but it has some pretty glaring omissions. The lack of circuits is something I have a hard time overlooking in racing games. It dramatically decreases the replay value so you're stuck with either racing online or going after speed trials. There are also no Ferarri's. Despite all that, it's one of the best racers to come out in years. The car handling and drifting around corners is a ton of fun. It's also beautiful to look at. It's just a shame that the game is missing some pretty basic features.
need-for-speed-hot-pursuit-20100816080353861-3284283.jpg

KSai

Super Mario Kart was my first and favorite. I haven't played many racing games at all. ReVolt on Dreamcast was pretty cool; I played quite a few battle games on the supermarket level.

hao chi

This is still my favorite:

291121-wave_large1_super.jpg

Even today the water physics are impressive, and racing in a thunderstorm with eight foot waves is a ton of fun. It's a bit lacking in tracks and unique areas, but I still love this game.

My second favorite is F-Zero GX, but I also really like Gran Turismo 5 for the online races, and I started playing Wipeout HD Fury today, and it seems like it has a lot of potential.

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2.

How many games let you race a supercar at ridiculous speeds in beautiful locales while evading a missile launching helicopter?

The MotorStorm series just about killed all other arcade racers for me... It's super competitive, absolutely brutal in nature, and simply has superior track design to everything else.

I completely forgot about Motorstorm in my original post. I wasn't a big fan of Pacific Rift, but the rest of the series I've completely loved with Apocalypse being my absolute favorite.

Really was a shame what happened to them with Apocalypse and the Japanese earthquake/tsunami (they discussed it a bit when I interviewed them ahead of the Vita launch) but RC's done wonders, it seems.

Can't wait to see what they do next, be it another AAA Motorstorm or something else.

HockeyDud

Neo Member
Just got Dirt 1 on Steam for 2.50 cause imo that's the best one out of the Dirt series. It's ALL rally. Also love the latest Hot Pursuit and 2 from back in the day. Grid and Full Auto from the early days of the 360.

shaowebb

Mario Kart 64
Trials HD
San Francisco Rush 1 and 2 for N64
Sega All Stars Racing
Burnout 3

I like racing games where things can be wrecked in exciting and fun ways.

I am in love with really well made "open world" racing games. Games where there is a nice over world you can just cruise around in, but plenty of goals/quests to complete when you want to.

The two games that did this for me better than any others I've played (and please, if there are more like it hit reply and recommend them to me!!)

Need For Speed Underground 2:

need-for-speed-underground-2-3.jpg

I love the way you start out in Brooke Burke's sweet 350z, and then get dumped in a little grocery-getter with the task of reaching that point of "cool" and beyond. The tasks are plentiful, evenly space throughout the world, and the cars feel great. There is a sense that the cars you are driving belong in the world you are presented with. It's arcade to the max, but the world KNOWS that.

The other is the amazing Burnout Paradise:

654130fa6f3f.jpg

Can't say enough about this one. The game that did DLC the right way. The game that perfected an already successful franchise. Open world bliss. Great looking graphics. I miss the customization and ownership of the cars that NFSU2 presented, but from the Delorean and Ghostbusters car DLC, to the Motorcycles ... to the expansive island expansion. What a great game full of fun and replay ability.

I am so drooling and waiting for Need for Speed: Most Wanted. Burnout Paradise's Criterion Games giving their attempt at an open world NFS game ... a marriage made in heaven ... HOPEFULLY!!

eHXLw.jpg

Rumble Racing (PS2)

9bBEN.jpg

Vanishing Point (Dreamcast)

Just to name a few. I could go on all day.

Glad someone remembers those games, they were fun & deserved a larger fanbase or sequels.

I also liked:
Test Drive V-Rally
vrally2_screen013.jpg

A PSOne port, but the number of tracks & diversity was/is(?) unmatched!

Test Drive LeMans
ozretro_embed001.jpg

If GT3 wasn't released a month+ from this game's release & the game had a advertising budget behind it, it would have been the next big thing in racing games.
Even Forza 4 & GT5 don't equal it in some aspects to this day still!

EYEL1NER

My favorite racing games are Need For Speeds Underground through Carbon, Hydro Thunder, Mario Kart 64, and Burnout Paradise.

I've bought and played racing games for years but never been too big a fan of the genre. Hell, I have an unopened copy of GT4 that I have owned since before launch (Subway promo).
But Burnout Paradise was so good. I fucking love that game. It got my to go back and pick up a copy of Most Wanted and play through it and also some other racing games I own that I haven't put much time in, like Shift 1 and 2 and the Forzas. Still not too good at them though.

Top Bottom