• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite story arcs in Shonen manga/anime?

FartOfWar

Banned
The season four Gintyoniska clash in MaMaReshu defied belief at the time. Seriously, even the most seasoned viewers claimed that the outcome of that match was practically impossible given Hyonsai's Chi impediment through eps S414-S422
Hyonsai used Takuan's own sandal strap to throttle him into sumbission without resorting to a single summon
Neither here nor there but in the scheme of shonen, it remains top rank for those in the know.

AAK

Water 7 Enies Lobby Arc of One Piece:

Nico_Robin_Enies_Lobby_by_Robin_chwan.png

andymcc

Banned
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure- Diamond is Unbreakable (Steel Ball Run is Seinen)
Dragon Ball- Piccolo Daimao
Yu Yu Hakusho: Black Chapters
One Piece- Enies Lobby
Rurouni Kenshin- Kyoto

zero_suit

Dark Tournament - Yu Yu Hakusho
Yorknew, Chimera Ant - Hunter x Hunter
Kyoto Arc - Rurouni Kenshin

I can't comment on Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure since I've only read the first volume.

Cwarrior

Hunter x hunter -chimera ant arc: I thought it was impossible to top the goat yorkshin arc but it's managed to do that, extremely detailed written complex arc with even the smallest tiny detail can have huge effect on the out come of the story.

One piece skypia,enis lobby,impel down & soabondy

Naruto -chunin exam & immortal zombie twins kakza & Hidan(before naruto shows up).

YuYu hakusho - dark tournament

Flame of Recca - Tournament of Death
Air Gear - Anything before it got Oh!Great weird (par for the course).
Samurai Deeper Kyo - Aokigahara arc

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Yoshiwara, Four Devas, Benizakura, Popularity Contest, etc from Gintama are all amazing. I wish the show would come back already, it's the most fun I've had watching an anime ever.

I thought Sorachi was done with it since the last movie, no?

Fairy Tail - Phantom Lord arc nothing has hit hard since imo
FMA - Definitely Briggs, shit was going down
Naruto - Zabuza, Chuunin, and Pain arcs
D.Grayman - Noah and the akuma invasion arc

Anth0ny

Following Marineford (One Piece) every week was fucking crazy. Oda managed to blow my mind in a different way EVERY chapter.

Water 7 was great too. Luffy vs. Usopp is probably my favorite anime fight ever. It's perfect.

I came here to preach the gospel of LOGH but I reread that this is about Shonen, so I'm going to have to go with a tie between Cell Games and Rurouni Kenshin's Kyoto arc.

Nephtis

Saint Seiya - Sanctuary Arc

tumblr_mz94mue2X81rshlsro1_500.gif

The Gold Saints were the ultimate badasses during my childhood. I'd often make drawings of them and I'd have long debates with my best friends about who the most powerful Gold was. Shura vs Shiryu and Camus vs Hyoga are still my most memorable fights. I guess Shaka vs Ikki was pretty awesome too in terms of raw power, but the two I mentioned still win over it.

Rurouni Kenshin - Kyoto Arc

Rurouni%20Kenshin%202_live-action02.jpg

(I'm only using the live action image because come on, that looks badass)

This entire arc was just a huge character devlopment boom for a lot of the cast. It really felt like the entire thing was a do-or-die thing.

Juuni Kokki (十二国記) - Shadow of the Moon, Sea of Shadow (月の影 影の海)

juuni.jpg

Definitely one of my top 3 anime of all time. The first few episodes really drag on, but after that it rises like a Phoenix. The cast was stellar, the entire world and eventual climax or this art is nothing but superb. This was my first encounter with a female protagonist that grows and doesn't have a man come and save her. The entire lore of this anime is simply too epic, and definitely worth a look. Fantastic arc.

Naruto - Pein Arc

So so so so good. I also can't forgive Kishi for killing my favorite character, Jiraiya, but I can see why his death was necessary as an instrumental plot point for Naruto. Still, damn you, Kishi.

I will add more as I come up with more :p

Dysun

Dragon Ball - Saiyan Saga
Rurouni Kenshin - Kyoto
Yu Yu Hakusho - Dark Tournament
Flame of Recca - Ura Butou Satsujin

Berserk - Eclipse
Hajime no Ippo - Mashiba // Sawamura
Gantz - Buddhist Temple
Death Note - Yotsuba

Naruto - Chuunin Exams // Pain // Fourth Ninja War
Bleach - Soul Society
One Piece - Alabasta // Enies Lobby

I think Gantz might be seinen instead of shounen, but who cares, the Buddha Alien arc was fucking wild. Couldn't close my jaw for a week after I finished.

Is Mobile Suit Gundam considered shonen? If so, my favorite part is the last 3rd of the show. The part that makes up the third compilation movie.

Lalah is a fantastic character and Amuro really starts to shine during this section

jgminto

Steel Ball Run, Diamond is Unbreakable and Stardust Crusaders in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. I guess that would be the closest thing to an arc in the series? It's just a continuous story with fights so it doesn't really have self contained arcs like other shonen.

ryan13ts

One Piece, Water 7/Enies Lobby - I don't think any arc in any shonen will ever top it for me. Great fights, awesome story developments and some of the most emotional stuff I've seen in a shonen manga. Perfection all around as far as I'm concerned.

Mentioned a lot already, but it bears repeating. YuYu Hakusho's Dark Tournament arc still stands as the best Tournament arc in anything ever. It's reminiscent of early DBZ in that almost all of the fights are more about strategy and tactics, rather than who the most powerful is. And it's a trait that stays consistent throughout the whole arc, save for the very last fight against younger Toguro (And at that point, it's neither jarring nor unexpected that it was the case for that single fight.)

On top of that, you get some great character development (Even sideline characters like Kuwabara's sister gets some spotlight time) and some of the most hype moments in the entire series.

Ninjimbo

One Piece probably makes up 75% of my list, but I'll just mention my favorite: Skypeia. I love how it starts. I love how it ends. I love the villain. The Norland flashback is heartbreakingly awesome. It's everything OP is. The sense of adventure, the weird, no other arc perfectly encapsulates what OP is all about.

The Android Saga in Dragonball Z is another favorite of mine. I like the time travel angle and Trunks. It's also amazing how the arc switches the villain about halfway in and makes Cell seem really dangerous. I felt kinda bad for the Androids when they bite the dust.

The Dark Tournament in Yu-Yu. It's the best tourney arc I've ever seen.

I'm reading/watching Hunter x Hunter right now, and I have to say, the Chimera Ant arc is something special. I don't know how or when Shounen was allowed to have its heroes be so powerless, but I like it. I haven't felt so scared for a group of heroes since I don't know when. I almost want to call it brilliant. Almost. However, I need to see a resolution. When I catch up to Hunter x Hunter, the hiatus is going to murder me.

Last but not least, the video game arc in Beelzebub. That was funny and awesome in so many ways.

Nothing comes close to One Piece's Water Seven/Enies Lobby for me.

It has such great characters, high stakes, solid backstories/history, and an incredible series of fights. Also, Soge-King.

So many manga arcs and not enough time to list them all.

1. Bleach: Soul Society arc where all the characters are introduced. Isshin arc where Ichigo's birth secret is revealed.

2. One Piece: Enis Lobby: Robin made the arc. Arlong Park: Nami made the arc.

3. HxH: Chimera and Election arc: Holy crap the stuff that went down. Too bad about the Hiatus. ;_;

4. Yu Yu Hakusho: Sensui and Dark Tournament arc: Yusuke grew the most in those 2 arcs.

5. Reborn!:Future arc at the very end, had some very good fights and character development. Too bad the author completely fucked up at the very end.

6. Naruto:Chunin Exam arc with Rock Lee vs Gaara. Sasuke vs Itachi was pretty sick as well.

7. DB and DBZ: King Piccolo through end of DB was just amazing. DBZ was pretty much every arc until after Cell.

8. GTO: Urumi Arc and most of GTO really.

9.Ruronin Kenshin: Kyoto to the end was some of the best story telling in shonen history imo.

10. Saint Seiya: Hades arc when Seiya and gang activated their God clothes.

So many more but I'll stick to 10 for now.

Mumei

Juuni Kokki (十二国記) - Shadow of the Moon, Sea of Shadow (月の影 影の海)

juuni.jpg

Definitely one of my top 3 anime of all time. The first few episodes really drag on, but after that it rises like a Phoenix. The cast was stellar, the entire world and eventual climax or this art is nothing but superb. This was my first encounter with a female protagonist that grows and doesn't have a man come and save her. The entire lore of this anime is simply too epic, and definitely worth a look. Fantastic arc.

This is absolutely amazing, though I've never considered Juuni Kokki to be a shounen.

The Great Senin War - Houshin Engi - Easily the greatest war arc in any shonen manga ever. Unlike most war arcs which usually are just a collection of 1 on 1 fights, this one actually felt like a large scale conflict. It had such a powerful and overwhelming villain that seemed almost invincible. Also because it took place in the middle of the series instead of at the end like most war arcs, all the deaths that occurred felt way more impact full due to you having to continue reading the series with so much of the cast gone.

Faudo arc (manga version) - Zatch Bell - A massive arc that had so many twists and turns. Zatch Bell is surprisingly emotional series and is one of the very few manga that could not only make me cry but could make me cry often, and most of those tears were from this arc, so many characters had their books burned in this arc and they all went out in an awesome blaze of glory.

Chapter Black - YuYu Hakusho - After re watching the series recently this arc isn't as good as I remember it, however it still gets a special place on this list due to the effect it had on me when I watch it as a child. This arc was so different and so unorthodox compared to not only other anime that were airing at the time but also compared to what YuYu Hakusho itself had shown previously. It really changed my perception of what exactly a shonen could be and it was the point at which I realized Togashi was truly a cut above the rest.

York Shin arc - Hunter x Hunter - To this day this arc still blows my mind. It was completely unpredictable and plot driven instead of fight driven, which to this day is still pretty rare for a shonen manga. Its like Togashi read every single shonen troupe and decide to subvert each and every single one of them. Everything about this arc was unpredictable from the main characters being almost completely useless, to the anti-climax, to the appearance of the Zoldycks.

Alabasta arc - One Piece - this was the first major arc in One Piece and was the arc were I truly became a fan. Before this arc I thought One piece was pretty generic and formulaic, however the amazing amount of build up that Boroque works had and the equally amazing pay off of the final fights changed my mind. Plus the fact that Luffy lost not just once but twice to crocodile before he scored the win, hyped up the schichibukai so much.

Chunin Exams - Naruto - Even though I pretty much despise the series now, Naruto was the show that had popped my cherry. Before Naruto I had never read a manga before, and the only exposure I had with anime was through toonami/Adult Swim. However this series opened the floodgates to me discovering so much other anime/manga that I probably would've never discover otherwise. This was the arc that made me fall in love with the series and what made it for years, my favorite anime/manga.

Soul Society arc - Bleach - One of the earliest arcs of the series, a series which sadly hasn't produced anything even close to it's quality in since. IMO the definitive rescue arc, I especially love all the intrigue that occurs during the second half when everything starts to fall apart in soul society and nobody has a clue why.

Food festival arc - Toriko - This is the most recent edition to this list. This arc was so good, which was great because the series was in a decline before this arc. This arc set up fights that people had been waiting to see since almost the beginning of the manga and the second half of this arc, shock up the entire series and completely changed the allegiance of so many characters.

Hunter x Hunter: Chimera Ant Arc. Yorkshin was great, but the Chimera Ant arc is the best arc in any shonen I've ever watched or read.
TOGASHI PLZ CONTINUE HxH.

One Piece: As people have said, the Enies Lobby arc is the best in the series. Dressarosa is shaping up to be pretty good, so I hope it's comparable on some level.

Bleach: the Soul Society Invasion Arc seems to be the fan favorite, but my favorite arc is the Hueco Mundo/Fake Karakura Town arc

Naruto: Pain arc/Search for Sasuke arc (pre - Shippuden)

D. Gray Man: Noah's Ark Arc/Black Order Invasion arc

G.T.O: All of it

Reborn: Simon Family Arc/Future Arc

Evilisk

One Piece: Water 7/Ennies Lobby
Gintama: All Yoshiwara arcs, Benizakura arc
Fairy Tail: Tower of Heaven, Phantom Lord

Nirvana arc in Fairy Tail or Wizard games.

Nirvana was okay but apparently a lot of the stuff there was lifted from Soul Eater which kind of diminishes what I liked about the arc
(and even without that, I still hated them bringing back Jellal AGAIN)

Wizard Games was pure bullshit though. It was all dumb power levels
(like Laxus being able to wreck Jura, or Erza wrecking Kaguya after hyping up her sword) or other dumb crap like Flare being allowed to blackmail Lucy, or Raven Tail in general,
and the arc itself was way too drawn out.

Fairy Tail - Phantom Lord arc nothing has hit hard since imo

Phantom Lord was pretty damn good, I agree. The ending was so satisfying too,
seeing Phantom Lord getting completely wrecked by Makarov alone after all of the shit they put Fairy Tail through was so good.

Honestly I think Phantom Lord arc is the best Fairy Tail gets. Tower of Heaven is also really good (Erza and Juvia were great here) but it also introduces some of the worst elements in the series
(Natsu always being the one to fight the big bad, Natsu always getting his shonen powerup to win, it also introduced Jellal/Gerard who just can't seem to go away, Erza calling on Nakama power to beat opponents she should have lost to).

Bleach - Soul Society Arc

One Piece - Sabaody Archipelago Arc

Naruto - Naruto's Sage Training/Pain Arc

DBZ - Namek/Frieza Arc

Village

Hitman Reborn

The " othe mafia people/we are changing genre's ark "

Eveyrone's face when Tsuna went super saiyin

x0apWIh.gif

Moaradin

Hunter x Hunter - Chimera Ant Arc

Hunter x Hunter - Yorknew City Arc

Yu Yu Hakusho - Dark Tournament

One Piece - Water 7/Enies lobbies

I've really enjoyed the HxH and DBZ arcs listed earlier.

Does anyone know of a book or at least article that details the origins of Shounen style manga storytelling? I mean, most of these manga use some pretty repetitive tropes and structure that are well worn but effective, is there a common source? I could say more about what I mean but I'll leave it at that.

FartOfWar

Banned
The Desunoko arc in Tedoku No Gumi MataHonchi XI had me in hysterics and tears by turns. When Yumi learns to harness his mitochondria to skip the ninth chi level and ascend to Chiyaki-hood without having to bother with ablution rituals beneath the seven veils falls and then goes on to DEMOLISH the Seiti team as if it was nothing? Is there a moment in all of manga more sublime than this?

The climactic finale of Zaipachi! Kaidoku School of Blu-Ray Resurfacing! had me pumping my fist as no other shonen ever has. If you want to see a truly titanic struggle between two equally powerful warriors, look no further than the fight between struggling Blu-Ray resurfacer Zaipachi Hinamaki and his nemesis, Blockbuster Kizashi. With bulging veins and throbbing hearts they pummel each other mercilessly, repetitively, until with one final eruption of power Zaipachi pins the enemy! AAAAAGH YESSSS

Top Bottom