• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite unsolved mystery?

lil puff

Incredible video. It's bizarre and very sad. Poor girl. Why her parents let her go there alone bothers me.

One thing I remember was that at that time LA Police had a few high profile cases, which may explain some of the shoddy investigating, and I never felt satisfied by anything the coroner found.

I dunno. It still does not seem solved, but that is the best that they will get.

Fat-Val-Kilmer.jpg

:messenger_pensive:

Whatever happened to Richey Edwards of the manic Street Preachers, If you were large into britpop in the 90s this is one of those mysteries that has kind of endured....He vanished without a trace in the mid 90s...Parents eventually declared him presumed dead in the late 2000s for legal reasons, but nothing was ever confirmed

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richey_Edwards

Replying to myself because this is really fucking bizarre..i posted this yesterday and then today went to go find a picture to add since i did it from the ipad last night...and realize it was 25 years ago today that he vanished ...and found this article

#Phonepunk#

Banned
this is pretty cool.

ufocapitol1952b.jpg

ufocapitol1952a.jpg

The 1952 Washington, D.C. UFO incident, also known as the Washington flap, the Washington National Airport Sightings, or the Invasion of Washington, was a series of unidentified flying object reports from July 12 to July 29, 1952, over Washington, D.C. The most publicized sightings took place on consecutive weekends, July 19–20 and July 26–27. UFO historian Curtis Peebles called the incident "the climax of the 1952 (UFO) flap" - "Never before or after did Project Blue Book and the Air Force undergo such a tidal wave of (UFO) reports."

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'm a true crime enthusiast, so this may not have interest in anyone who isn't, but the disappearance of Mikelle Biggs is one that has always haunted me. If you don't know the story, she basically ran toward an ice cream truck to get some ice cream and her sister left her by herself for no longer than 2 minutes and when she went back outside to get her for dinner she was gone and all that was left behind was her little bike with the wheels still spinning. In broad daylight. She was never seen again. No one saw or heard a thing. She was only 11. This was over 20 years ago now.

There have been some persons of interest that were looked at, but nothing concrete.

Maura Murray is another one.

Nymphae

Banned
Coral Castle is a good one

The structure comprises numerous megalithic stones, mostly limestone formed from coral, each weighing several tons.[2] It is currently a privately operated tourist attraction. Coral Castle is noted for legends surrounding its creation that claim it was built single-handedly by Leedskalnin using reverse magnetism or supernatural abilities to move and carve numerous stones, each weighing many tons.

Apparently this this popped up almost overnight and the claim is that one guy designed and built the whole thing, no one has ever shown how he could have done it.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
I would say my two favorite mysteries are Oak Island and the Dyatlov Path incident.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coral Castle is a good one

Apparently this this popped up almost overnight and the claim is that one guy designed and built the whole thing, no one has ever shown how he could have done it.
I came across that one because of a Billy Idol song.

It's been explained, though.

It just sort of posits that it can be done but doesn't really provide anything in the way of material evidence of how he actually did it.
Google it, it's been explained many times. There's no mystery.

The castle has been featured in dozens of magazines and books on the unexplained, as well as on television shows such as "In Search Of," "That's Incredible" and "Ripley's Believe It Or Not."

British rocker Billy Idol even wrote a hit song about Leedskalnin's story, "Sweet Sixteen."

Over the decades, many stories and wild theories have emerged about Leedskalnin and his castle. Some say he levitated the blocks with his mind, or by singing to the stones. Others suggest Leedskalnin had arcane knowledge of magnetism and so-called "earth energies." One author suggested that perhaps Leedskalnin found that "there's no such thing as gravity." Since science supposedly could not explain the feat, wild speculation took hold.

It's easy to claim the castle defies scientific explanation, but searches for the investigations made by perplexed and baffled scientists come up empty. Despite the information on their Web site, the Coral Castle information booth was unable to identify a single scientist or engineer who had specifically examined the castle. This puts the claim in a whole new light, since "hasn't explained" is clearly not the same as "can't explain."

There is one detail that virtually all agree on: since the reclusive Leedskalnin spent nearly thirty years working mostly at night and away from prying eyes, no one actually saw him move the coral. Since no one saw the blocks actually being moved, no one can state for certain that the task was accomplished by Leedskalnin alone. The claim that Leedskalnin didn't use modern (post-1920s) tools is obviously true, but the mistake is in assuming that modern tools are required to move the large blocks of coral.

Ultimately—and ironically—the solution may lie in Leedskalnin's own simple explanation: that he did it using principles of weight and leverage. "I have discovered the secrets of the pyramids," he said, employing the same methods used by ancient Egyptians. If Leedskalnin was being truthful, then the mystery is solved, for the methods by which the Egyptian pyramids could be constructed are well understood (see, for example, Mark Lehner's 1997 book The Complete Pyramids).

Photos exist of large tripods, pulleys, and winches at the Coral Castle site, and several sources (e.g., Wallace Wallington's Web site http://www.theforgottentechnology.com) demonstrate how massive weights can be moved by one or two people using simple physics. (The comparisons to Egypt's pyramids are a red herring; there are vast differences in weight, material, and complexity between the castle's coral slabs and the huge stone pyramids at Giza. Because coral is porous, large blocks appear heavier than they actually are.)

Many mystery mongers arrogantly assume that those living in earlier times (such as Leedskalnin, or the ancient Egyptians) were not clever or resourceful enough to possibly have created impressive engineering feats without extraterrestial aid or mysterious powers. This view betrays an ignorance of history and sadly underestimates human ingenuity. It seems likely that if scientists haven't explained the Coral Castle specifically, it's because there's little to "explain." The Coral Castle mystery seems to be simply a matter of poorly-informed people who reject a mundane reality in favor of a fanciful myth.

Benjamin Radford is managing editor of Skeptical Inquirer magazine, and co-author of "Hoaxes, Myths, and Manias: Why We Need Critical Thinking."

Airola

It's 8 and a half minutes long, and shows you footage of him using pulleys to move the coral, and it thoroughly explains everything. You don't have a spare 8 and a half minutes?

Start at 1.10.

Nymphae probably would've watched a 2 hour long video of it immediately without asking for timestamps if the video was made from the angle that aliens / supernatural skills did it :D

Also, I think that after this excange:
-No evidence
--Here's evidence
-Nah. More evidence?
--Here's more evidence
-Nah, doesn't count. Any REAL evidence?
--Here's a video that shows how it's done
-Not going to watch unless you timestamp the exact point it's shown

you should've written him a long ass text detailing every single thing shown in the video that would take him twice as much to read as it takes to watch the video, just out of spite.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
It's 8 and a half minutes long, and shows you footage of him using pulleys to move the coral, and it thoroughly explains everything. You don't have a spare 8 and a half minutes?

Start at 1.10.

I was at work and browsing the video on my phone and I just wanted to see the footage of him if there was any. I'd like to look into the source of this video which had never been seen before 2017. It's weird that it isn't on the wikipedia page, no idea who this Darren Nemeth guy is.

I was at work and browsing the video on my phone and I just wanted to see the footage of him if there was any. I'd like to look into the source of this video which had never been seen before 2017. It's weird that it isn't on the wikipedia page, no idea who this Darren Nemeth guy is.
It was posted here in 2013 and was part of an installment in Universal Pictures' "Person-Oddity" series.

Nymphae

Banned
Here's just the video

It doesn't really get into a lot of it, it just shows him using a couple of simple machines in 2 spots in the video, but he is claimed to have built that entire place himself, cut all of the rock himself, the seams are absolutely perfect, etc. There was very little explanation going on in the video, just, oh yeah simple machines can do work. It's hard to believe there is no footage or pictures of the place actually being built.

Yes, he used simple machines and it took him years to do. Where's the mystery here? Also, it was in the 30's, video cameras weren't exactly prevalent. Not like the smartphone era we live in today.

Last edited:
This is so fucked up. I'm not starting a thread for it, and it looks technically 'unsolved' to me, so in here it goes. Be interested to see what other people think. Generally when I hear 'the last person to see the victim alive' I think 'you did it!'

Nymphae

Banned
Yes, he used simple machines and it took him years to do. Where's the mystery here? Also, it was in the 30's, video cameras weren't exactly prevalent. Not like the smartphone era we live in today.

This is a pretty good Skeptic Magazine article on the place from 2006, despite the constant handwaving away from the skeptics that it all had to be done with simple machines, there do remain many questions. The author here despite doing his best to provide explanations, several times admits to no one having any idea how some of these feats were accomplished. It's an enduring mystery for a reason, it's kind of a crazy story that one guy built this thing with no witnesses and even moved the whole damn place to another location, again with no witnesses on record.

Last edited:

Stouffers

Banned
The whereabouts of Justin Guarini. He went missing after the premier of “From Justin To Kelly.” Rumor has it Kelly Clarkson ate him.

GAMETA

Banned

I have an aunt that has some pretty bad psychological problems, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, you name it. I've seen her behaving in a similar way when having of of her "attacks".

She will tell aliens talked to her, she will tell people are following her, she won't stop moving and really say she can't stand still without moving her hands and feet... last time she was interned it was because she put fire on her house and said it was someone else (it was her, the neighbors saw it)... it's pretty fucked up what the mind can do, so I wouldn't jump to supernatural conclusions on this video and this case... poor girl.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Obviously dissapearance of MH370 and with my aviatic interestest also this:

From those which weren't posted so far is Denver Airport for me, it's just strange and why the airport is so big, when traffic is not that high, etc...

Last edited:
This one always creeps me out

the prepared meal, signs of life that just suddenly stopped

That and the victims of the British serial killer Robert black.

They literally vanished into thin air, right out side their homes, in some cases. it took over two decades to find some the bodies

Edit for phone typos

Last edited:
This is so fucked up. I'm not starting a thread for it, and it looks technically 'unsolved' to me, so in here it goes. Be interested to see what other people think. Generally when I hear 'the last person to see the victim alive' I think 'you did it!'

What a mess. Charles seems to be *HIGHLY* suggestible. There's also some phenomenon I can't remember at the moment where some people tend to attribute crimes/bad behavior that they didn't do to themselves. I think there's a name for it that's escaping me right now.

And poor Ryan. Sometimes life can just bend you over and say, "How do you like this?!" At least he got some justice and a payday for his troubles. He's also a great friend and a very good man for vowing to help his friend, after Charles was responsible for him losing a decade of his freedom.

And not even LOOKING @ Boyd, smdh. Utter incompetence - malevolent incompetence.

I also hate the nature of some detectives/interrogators that operate from the default position that the person sitting in front of them is guilty. Their job should be to find the truth, but many could not care less about it. They just want convictions, and that is a real shame and mockery of any concept of justice. They should be involved in some other profession.

A final point. Anyone dealing with any accusations from law enforcement ought to have the common sense to remain silent. The burden of proof is upon the state. Don't do their work for them. It never ceases to amaze me how many people just blather on and on. I'm always stunned at the lack of awareness many people seem to have for their circumstances - and the way the world works. Shut your hole! :p

Top Bottom