• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Features in games that was never used again(or rarely) in sequels, but should of been

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
I was gonna list some Pokemon examples, but stopped after realizing I wouldn't have enough room for the text in one post.

Fuck you Gamefreak.

Marvel Vs Capcom 3
The ability to triple select a character should have been in, but it couldn't be, of course, because the characters only have 4 colors, and you'd need at least six in case both players wanted a team of one character.

3D Marios
I've only played 64 and Galaxy 1/2, but I know in those you can't take items from one place to another. In fact, they have timers on them a lot of times. That's . . . not as fun. Being able to use an item and store another like in Super would be fun, even if game breaking. Just adding it as a bonus for completing all 242 stars would have been awesome.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Sonic 3 & Knuckles did gravity switching platforming before Galaxy, and it was damn fun. I can't believe they never really repeated it (outside of Rush)

El-Suave

There are actually cases where Sixaxis functionality was fun and elevated the game. Folklore is a prime example for that. It's a shame that devs seem to have totally given up on that feature even though I agree most times the implementation wasn't fun.

BIONIC-ARRRMMM!! said:
You won't get a better swinging mechanic than Bionic Commando (2009)

You must be kidding. It's horrible. What's with the physics-defying momentum-cancelling crap? I bought that turd at full price and never played past level 3 because the swinging stinks.

Radogol

While I appreciate the effort to combine all gameplay facets of the first True Crime into a cohesive experience for the sequel, the removal of branching narrative pretty much killed Streets of New York for me.

Don

R3 missions in the GTA series. GTAIV was really lacking in side missions compared to the previous games.

The codec in MGS4 was really disappointing, especially after MGS3 which had loads of great codec conversations. It would have been better if you could contact more characters like Drebin and Meryl, but it was just Rose and Otacon, and Rose was pretty much useless.

I liked that they kind of brought it back with Peace Walker and the mission briefings though.

webrunner

NinjaJesus said:
The original Red Faction...

I wish they would have kept the ability to actually DIG and go anywhere you wanted.

It's funny.. the "new" red factions are basically completely the opposite of the old ones.

You used to only be able to destroy the ground and not walls/structures.

Now you can only destroy buildings but not the ground.

thezerofire said:
dual wielding was taken out because it didn't support Bungie's guns-grenades-melee design

This doesn't make sense - they identified that this was what made Halo what it was back when they were making Halo 3, yet why did they still decide to keep it in for that game? And besides, some things to mix-up -or break the formula for those who use it- can be good for a game. It would kill off some of Reach's ability spamming for a start which was just as unbalanced.

Platy

Character specific Board the plataforms and Break the targets in post 64 smash bros.
Brawl had break the targets, but without being character specific it don't help you increase your skills with the char =/

-BLITZ- said:
* San Andreas features that aren't used in GTA IV at all. IV was made more for testing the graphic and engine to see how your PC/consoles runs. After I finished the game, I just didn't know what do next. I'm preparing more for V.

SPECIALY the bike !
Best vehicle in any gta game

Master Milk said:
Marvel Vs Capcom 3
The ability to triple select a character should have been in, but it couldn't be, of course, because the characters only have 4 colors, and you'd need at least six in case both players wanted a team of one character.

Also, this !

Angry Fork

Atruvius said:
Codec in MGS4 is basically useless.
This pissed me off so much. I loved MGS4 but a lot of the game took away cool niche stuff from the previous games which included long, funny/weird etc. codec conversations. I don't know if it was the fault of that Peyton guy or whatever who said American's don't like that or something, or maybe it was just Kojima not caring i'm not sure but that definitely sucked since they were huge parts of previous games.

Don said:
R3 missions in the GTA series. GTAIV was really lacking in side missions compared to the previous games.
This too. Lots of stuff in San Andreas/previous GTA's would've been so much fun with GTA4's physics, including more cheats. I wish GTA4 had crazy peds cheats or infinite health. (And a faster easier way to input them then that stupid phone).
Pimpbaa said:
The Mako in Mass Effect 1. Was awesome to explore worlds on that thing. It's part of what made the game so special to me. Fuck the whiney bitches that got this removed in the sequel.
THIS. I can't believe I forgot this. This is my biggest complaint about ME2 and the lack of exploration. And my hopes for ME3 are severely limited because I have a feeling Bioware isn't going to bring back any exploration shit like ME1. This was so damn cool for me.

Pimpbaa

The Mako in Mass Effect 1. Was awesome to explore worlds on that thing. It's part of what made the game so special to me. Fuck the whiney bitches that got this removed in the sequel.

Brannon

Active Reloading in the Gears series. No matter how many times it's used, you'll always feel like you're about to badger fuck somebody's day when you hit it.

Fifa got rid of indoor soccer.

And seriously, Pokemon.

"Look, we have time of the day and day of the week, amazing feature"
next game
"What time?"

geebee

Banned
Front Mission 3's simulated internet. The government and wanzer manufacturer websites helped flesh out the game setting.

Top Bottom