• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fellow Best Buy Employees?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke_Wal

Hey there, Best BuyGAF,

I just got hired as a seasonal sales consultant at a local Best Buy in the gaming section. I know it's going to be crazy, and I'll almost definitely hate my job at points, but the job I had last semester fell through, I could really use some money, and they're paying me $12/hr (granted, this is in Northern Virginia/DC area, where everything is more expensive than it needs to be), so I'll take it.

Here's my question: how good is the employee discount? My friend told me it's factory price + 5%, which seems pretty good to me, but how much does that make, say, a new $60 video game? And, more pressingly, my phone is about to be due for an upgrade: anybody know if the employee discount applies on phones/iPhones?

Finally: anybody have any advice?

NMFried

Hey there, Best BuyGAF,

I just got hired as a seasonal sales consultant at a local Best Buy in the gaming section. I know it's going to be crazy, and I'll almost definitely hate my job at points, but the job I had last semester fell through, I could really use some money, and they're paying me $12/hr (granted, this is in Northern Virginia/DC area, where everything is more expensive than it needs to be), so I'll take it.

Here's my question: how good is the employee discount? My friend told me it's factory price + 5%, which seems pretty good to me, but how much does that make, say, a new $60 video game? And, more pressingly, my phone is about to be due for an upgrade: anybody know if the employee discount applies on phones/iPhones?

Finally: anybody have any advice?

Hey, congrats!

I worked for Best Buy for a couple of years and it was a great experience. Your friend is right on most things, though don't expect much off on big brand products. Think more accessories. You're better off getting GCU, even as a BB employee for that stuff.

No discount on phones, but if you work in mobile you can get a plan discount (as most companies offer.)

Either way, have fun! If you're good at what you do then working there can be very rewarding.

EDIT: For context, I was hired as a seasonal mobile guy in Oct. 2013 and was brought on in January 2014, stayed until May 2015.

A guy in the gaming section told me that the $60 HDMI cable would make my Xbox's graphics better than if I use the cable it comes with. Will you better than him?

I worked there about 11 years ago.

Accessories is where the discount is best. So if you need cables or anything, stock up. TVs, computers, consoles, etc don't get much of a discount if any.
I do remember some really great discounts on AV equipment though. Got a JBL sub for less than half price, and a good discount off my receiver as well. Was also handy to stock up on speaker wire.

hydruxo

Worked in Asset Protection at Best Buy for a few months. The employee discount is solid but you'll get the best deals with Best Buy branded stuff (Rocketfish, Insignia, Dynex, etc.). You can get some phone cases or HDMI cables for virtually nothing.

Also take advantage of the online accomodations for Samsung & Sony. You can get 40-60% off on Samsung and Sony TV's, soundbars, speakers, etc. just for taking a 30 minute online quiz and filling some stuff out.

I didn't particularly enjoy working at BB but it wasn't terrible. My position was boring but I feel like being a sales associate might be a little less monotonous.

DaRealMVP

Neo Member
When I worked there it was also cost + 5% but it capped at 50%. You'll be surprised how many big ticket items like computers and tv's Best Buy makes no margin on to get it back in warranties and accessories. Can't remember what video games were but you can scan it on your first day to find out.

GeekSquad Sales Manager here. You can also get a good discount if you make friends with management. We are often looking to get rid of EOL items that have been sitting for a long time and are willing to cut deals with them. Oh also always get GSP on any item worth it, it costs employees nothing and you get all the benefits.

Congrats OP. Worked at Best Buy for about a year in customer service. You can get REALLY good deals on open box items. About 2 years ago, I bought a 40" 1080p 60hz Samsung, practically opened and then returned, for $216.00. Hopefully your geek squad manager is cool and he won't care if the item is GS certified or not. If he isn't, just ask a cool manager to ring you out before you close or something like that.

Used to work at best buy, anything insignia is cheap af. Buy HDMI cables for days, got a $100 rocketfish one for $11. Its really nice in that regard. Certain items are heavily discounted, but dont expect much on hardware. Best Buy makes money on accessories and add-ons, which you will soon learn they push you like crazy to sell.

I worked there for the holidays several years ago and I loved it. The discount then (2012-2013) was exact cost to Best Buy of the item. The best deals you'll find are on accessories and cords. I remember getting 5 HDMI cords the week I quit to return to school for like $1.75 each. On that same note, you might actually lose money on items like laptops or TVs.

The game discounts are terrible don't bother. Just sign up for the Gamer's Club and you'll get much better deals through that service.

My advice for your new job: do as many of those learning lessons as you can. It looks awesome on your profile and they give you sweet, sweet coupons for cool stuff in the store. I remember Sony had just released some new $300 headphones and there was a coupon for like $150 off if you did a 10min online class.

Anyways, congrats on the new job and abuse that discount!

Luke_Wal

I worked there for the holidays several years ago and I loved it. The discount then (2012-2013) was exact cost to Best Buy of the item. The best deals you'll find are on accessories and cords. I remember getting 5 HDMI cords the week I quit to return to school for like $1.75 each. On that same note, you might actually lose money on items like laptops or TVs.

The game discounts are terrible don't bother. Just sign up for the Gamer's Club and you'll get much better deals through that service.

My advice for your new job: do as many of those learning lessons as you can. It looks awesome on your profile and they give you sweet, sweet coupons for cool stuff in the store. I remember Sony had just released some new $300 headphones and there was a coupon for like $150 off if you did a 10min online class.

Anyways, congrats on the new job and abuse that discount!

So they offer online class/instructional things for employees, and if you take them, you can get extra discounts?

So they offer online class/instructional things for employees, and if you take them, you can get extra discounts?

They sure do. They also have the same thing for free products from other companies (PS4s, TVs, routers, etc), no charge. Most of them are as simple as taking a quick survey, and then you're entered into a random drawing. Honestly, I would still be working at Best Buy if they were paying me more. The employees and management were top-notch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom