• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Female characters at E3 this year versus last year

Gotta say, it did feel that we had more prominent female characters at this year's E3 versus last year's. We had at least four by my count:

Emily Caldwin in Dishonored 2

skrmbillede2015-06-1488utc.jpg

Aloy in Horizon

Lara Croft in Tomb Raider

Evie Frye in Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Am I missing any? Is my memory of last year spotty?

Edit:

Missed Faith in Mirror's Edge: Catalyst

Edit 2:

Also the protagonist of Recore

Tenebrous

There was also the female companion in Gears of War IV, but we've no idea how big (or little) of a part she plays in the game.

Microsoft's conference was fantastic in that regard:

Lara Croft
reCore Main Character
Tacoma Main Character
Beyond Eyes Main Character

And I think Rare's Sea of Theives Character

Fliesen

i noticed this as well.

Didn't the Halo 5 coop gameplay have 2/4 female characters.
Fallout can have a female protagonist.

We had multiple women presenting during the conferences.

Say what you will about the media coverage about female representation in gaming, but the publishers / developers seem to have really taken the hint.

E3 this year wasn't as much of a sausage fest as last year's, both in games as well as presenters, and that's no coincidence.

spekkeh

Banned
Haha that first post.

But yeah, hopefully this is a trend. They seem a lot more interesting designs than simple ogleware too.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Not to mention that a lot of companies got the "need female presenters" memo from last year.

Moonlight

Banned
It's a really, really fantastic trend, I'll tell you what. It makes me smile to think about how many women are headlining major titles this year.

Puaru1

The important thing is that (most) seem interesting. The girl from Recore and the Assassin lady seemed pretty bland, but the woman from Horizon seemed pretty cool, and Faith is pretty awesome. Lara's face looked weird as hell, uncanny valley is strong here, but I loved the Tomb Raider reboot so I'll deal even if the main character looks... off.

eso76

Lots. I'm sure you're missing a few more.
And Fallout 4 can be played as a woman.
Even Forza 6 lets you play as a female driver if I understood correctly.

Something definitely is changing after all the debate in the past few years.

the main protagonist of ADR1FT is female, if you count that title as being at E3 this year (they released a new trailer).

the woman on the radio from Firewatch. kind of a stretch but she certainly seems like a central figure to the game.

I guess if gamergate did one good thing, it was that it made companies far more aware of the sexism in gaming. Its good to see a growing trend of more women headlining games.

Hope this continues behind the scenes too, with more women taking senior positions in development, publishing and marketing.

stryke

Not to mention that a lot of companies got the "need female presenters" memo from last year.

Now that I think about it Sony had no females on stage. The only female Sony dev that I'm aware of that's high up is the head of SSM but I doubt she'll be the one to introduce GOW next year where instead it'll be Cory.

Fliesen

Jfs9WU0.png

aye, Halo 5 coop is plenty diverse, i would say.

Feels good, man.

Now that I think about it Sony had no females on stage. The only female Sony dev that I'm aware of that's high up is the head of SSM but I doubt she'll be the one to introduce GOW next year where instead it'll be Cory.
"women". in the context of humans, "female" should be solely used as an adjective ;)

Poona

It's really good. It's fine to have a few games with one or two dudebros but I get sick of them almost overtaking the industry.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Some other notable elements:
1.) Lots of expensive AAA games.
2.) They're all dressed in actual clothing.
3.) Most are from story games instead of just MP versus mode options.
4.) Main are many characters or main character options.

I noticed that myself. Horizon girl aside, they're all white 20 something athletic brunettes.

To be fair, if we turn the stated age up to 35, that'd also describe most of the guys these days.

UrbanRats

Weird that Hellblade didn't get shown at all.

Maybe on the E3 floor we'll see more of it?

HellBlade_MainKeyArt_01_MarkMolnar.jpg

That little trailer they had looked pretty bad to me, honestly.

To be fair, if we turn the stated age up to 35, that'd also describe most of the guys these days.

I don't find that weird to have "athletic" body types, in what is prevalently action games.

I already find it a bit too of weird to see Uncharted 4 Sully jump around like in Uncharted 1, now that he looks full on Granpa. :p

Puaru1

Jfs9WU0.png

aye, Halo 5 coop is plenty diverse, i would say.

Feels good, man.

"women". in the context of humans, "female" should be solely used as an adjective ;)

female: noun a person bearing two X chromosomes in the cell nuclei and normally having a vagina, a uterus and ovaries, and developing at puberty a relatively rounded body and enlarged breasts, and retaining a beardless face; a girl or woman.

source: Dictionary.com

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
That little trailer they had looked pretty bad to me, honestly.
Yeah it was rather underwhelming, especially for a so-called "gameplay trailer".
I already find it a bit too of weird to see Uncharted 4 Sully jump around like in Uncharted 1, now that he looks full on Granpa. :p
Glad I'm not the only one who noticed, lol.

I was actually shocked when the Gears protag turned out to be blonde
He looks just like BJ Blazkowicz, lol. The original dudebro. Gears embracing its dudebro core fully, I guess.

Top Bottom