• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez glitched-patch goes back online, will not be fixed due to re-cert fees

Margalis

Banned
I like how first he was all "you're taking what I said too literally, stop looking at what I actually wrote" then he was all "stop reading logical implication into what I said and just take the literal meaning" and then was all "you are probably a foreigner."

I also like the part where he said the patch was amazing because despite, you know, deleting your saved data it fixed a bunch of problems with the game - then claimed that those problems were no big deal anyway and didn't bother anyone to begin with.

If there is an indie game defense force on Gaf I assume Zia is a high ranking general.

kylej

Banned
Pie and Beans what year of high school are you in? The overly wordy and poorly written melodrama of your posts is extremely boring.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
This irrationality is what I find so funny about this story. Do you realize lots of games can occasionally glitch and corrupt your save file?

There's nothing irrational about Saunderez's post; it's your post that I find irrational. Lots of games potentially corrupting a save file? What generalising apologist nonsense.

So if somebody thinks this is a giant fiasco and indefensible, that means they are probably still in high school (because of the melodramatic writing) and foreign (because???)? I've heard more well-reasoned debate from the halo-kids screaming into their microphones.

I gotta give credit to the the ever-faithful, for they are truly following in the example laid down for them by their most revered lord, Phil Fish.

I also like the part where he said the patch was amazing because despite, you know, deleting your saved data it fixed a bunch of problems with the game - then claimed that those problems were no big deal anyway and didn't bother anyone to begin with.

Zia just meant that once you've started over with a new save the patch works great with no issues and that for people who are really into the game having to start over isn't that big of a deal.

at the very least then, those who get the game after the patch was introduced are safe.

mercy me, a lot of these.
White-Knight.jpg

Well, FWIW, I had played pre-patch (had maybe 40 cubes so I was definitely not endgame). I checked this weekend, my save migrated to the new patch just fine. Anybody with a busted save totally has a right to be pissed off though.

Well, FWIW, I had played pre-patch (had maybe 40 cubes so I was definitely not endgame). I checked this weekend, my save migrated to the new patch just fine. Anybody with a busted save totally has a right to be pissed off though.

Thinking about it, if this patch only affects people who are at some certain specific point in the game, why can't they just tell us what that point is? That way people could not install the patch and play past that point offline, then install the patch and their progress will be okay.

Thinking about it, if this patch only affects people who are at some certain specific point in the game, why can't they just tell us what that point is? That way people could not install the patch and play past that point offline, then install the patch and their progress will be okay.

I think the deal is that it affects people who are after a certain point in the game - i.e. once you hit some point, your save becomes a save that the new patch can't load.

That said, it's unclear if Polytron actually knows what the problem is, as all they've said is that they've not gonna fix it.

People could also just copy their save file, load up the game and see if it gets corrupted, and then continue to play if it's ok, or if it's not, just finish the game offline without the patch installed.

KageMaru

That was what I thought too. Then I wondered is this on principle, because Steam doesn't charge? Then I was thinking, well too effing bad, you didn't release the game on Steam, you released it on Xbox Live Arcade.

He's the one acting without principle IMO since he's the one who signed the contract and is now bitching about it.

OnPoint

You know, I won't say it doesn't suck to lose your save, but if you were enjoying the game, why not, you know, go back and replay all the stuff you already did?

Yes, I say this as someone who has a save that would be corrupted by the patch and have already completed the game. No, I won't download the update until I'm ready to play through it again. But I would gladly play through this game again when ready. It's not like the entire game doesn't work and they took your money without a product. It sucks, but it isn't the end of the world.

Chunky

You know, I won't say it doesn't suck to lose your save, but if you were enjoying the game, why not, you know, go back and replay all the stuff you already did?

Yes, I say this as someone who has a save that would be corrupted by the patch and have already completed the game. No, I won't download the update until I'm ready to play through it again. But I would gladly play through this game again when ready. It's not like the entire game doesn't work and they took your money without a product. It sucks, but it isn't the end of the world.
Fez isn't exactly Mario though. It's big, there's lots of things to collect, the map gets fully opened after over ten hours of play etc. Hopefully this doesn't affect me because I'm having a lot of fun with it.

KageMaru

Yeah, because it's so unprincipled to complain about a contract you signed. He should keep his opinions and experiences to himself!

He's pointing the finger elsewhere when the responsibility is his.

You want to do console development, you have to pay for patches. That simple.

He can bitch about it all he wants, but what he's bitching about is all due to his actions, so he should take responsibility for said actions.

Or do you support the types of people who never learn from their lessons because they choose to point the finger at everyone else while never looking in the mirror and realizing the problem may be them?

MrDaravon

So I got a response from the Xbox Live Escalation Team (lol) regarding my refund request for Fez.

They directed me to the help page on what to do when my screen freezes playing an Xbox disc game.

Jesus Christ.

OnPoint

Fez isn't exactly Mario though. It's big, there's lots of things to collect, the map gets fully opened after over ten hours of play etc. Hopefully this doesn't affect me because I'm having a lot of fun with it.

I get that there's an investment made in the amount of time played. I just think people are being melodramatic.

desertdroog

Not sure if this hurts or helps.

I bought Fez day 1 when it dropped, but didn't get around to playing it due to a backlog. When the talk of a patch came up, being necessary to fixing game performance issues, I decided to just wait it out until the patch dropped. When the patch finally dropped, I read that it caused other issues and could not confirm whom it was affecting with 100% certainty.

So I let the unpatched game sit on my hard drive until it all got sorted out, and I learned some interesting things about patching on the Xbox Live service up until this past Saturday where I decided to take the plunge and play the patched game as a brand new player. This because it was said to only affect 1% of those with game saves in progress.

Well, I played the game to completion in one day. I did not get all of the anti-cubes, nor did I get all of the artifacts or maps. However, I did notice that in the last two hours of playing the game levels would load slowly, where the background would render in after the character appeared on screen, music would be choppy initially and a few times the game would play in a sluggish manner until the level loaded to whatever constraints it required for the visible area (if not in totality).

I am a veteran of 8 bit slow down and mused at the nostalgia Phil Fish achieved by creating an environment in which not only the music and graphics evoked an earlier time, but also re-created the memory issues of the carts of the past. While the above did not hinder my enjoyment of the game, I have to wonder what did the patch exactly fix, if the attempt was to resolve performance issues?

Maybe it has to be related to playing this game in an entire 8 hour day without exiting out and rebooting the game during breaks. I did pause a few times for refreshments, minor chores and exercise. So there may be something of value for Phil Fish, if he is reading this thread, to determine that there are some continuing issues post-patch. Be it the hardware, the compiled code or caching issues, I do hope he can take the game to a different platform and patch in an iterative manner that both satisfies what would constitute as a "bug-free" piece of software and his customers.

I enjoyed the game, overall, I do hope he learned something from this venture and in the process, maybe he has matured a bit so the next project he works on can be realized with less drama and come to market in the best possible state it can be with such a limited team.

fooyee

Neo Member
Just got the game on Sunday after the patch came out. Played for about 3 hours. Tried continuing the following day and the game freezes at the loading screen.

Yay devs... is anybody else having similar issues or am I the 1%?

I'm not angry, but I am pretty annoyed MS support told me, no refunds.

So the glitch corrupts my save because I did everything possible in the game. Is this a one time thing, or will playing the game to completion corrupt it yet again?

mattp

i don't have a 360, so maybe this isn't possible but...
can't you just backup your save file? so if one corrupts you still have a good copy
i guess it's a little more work, but just get a flashdrive and save your game twice each time you save
problem solved

Chunky

I get that there's an investment made in the amount of time played. I just think people are being melodramatic.
Oh, definitely. I think people are letting Fish's arrogance get mixed with Fez's quality. That's certainly understandable, but it doesn't make Fez some broke-ass piece of crap either.
But the internet loves hyperbole as much funny cats, so that's unlikely to change.

DocSeuss

Neat.

Just patched it. My old save's working fine. I'm inclined to believe them when they say that it's less than 1% who are affected. That seems like an acceptable risk.

ukas

I just watched Indie Game this weekend. The guy came off as sort of an assholish person to me. I guess my assumptions were somewhat right.

randomwab

Hadn't played FEZ since it came out, where I completed it with each cube and anti-cube. Fired it up the other day to show a friend the SYNC area and the update wrecked my save. Guess I can't be too annoyed because I'd already completed it, but still pretty shitty.

Decided to skim through all this now that I'm affected, and it seems like Fish's stance is pretty shitty. It might be a touch call, but that call will affect people's enjoyment of your game and how those same people who paid and supported you will view anything else you do from this point out.

Marco1

Apologies for the thread bump but I have just started Fez for the first time and there was no patch update.
Was the patch not put back up?
Thanks.

RoyalFool

Banned
I just watched Indie Game this weekend. The guy came off as sort of an assholish person to me. I guess my assumptions were somewhat right.

Yup, I came away from that and instantly got a copy of Meat Boy off Steam and took Fez off my wish list. He's passionate about the game but, well, he kind of acts like he deserves success because he poured so much of his life away to make it. The other developers were really well grounded, kind of weird how seeing them 'in person' can completely change my opinion of them from their internet persona. I had Blow and Fish the wrong way around.

(Do I need a weird surname to make indy games?)

MRORANGE

Yup, I came away from that and instantly got a copy of Meat Boy and took Fez off my Steam wish list. He's passionate about the game but, well, he kind of acts like he deserves success because he poured so much of his life away to make it. The other developers were really well grounded, kind of weird how seeing them 'in person' can completely change my opinion of them from their internet persona. I had Blow and Fish the wrong way around.

(Do I need a weird surname to make indy games?)

wut.

Top Bottom