• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF12 makes me realize even more how bad 15 is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the resolve to this argument in my opinion:

In 10 years, FFXV won't hold up. 10 years from its initial release, FFXII holds up.

Slater

Banned
Using MC score to argue quality isn't great. Though I would argue that XV's 81 is much closer to its actual quality then a lot of over hyped games. Like MGS V didn't get any points docked for the shit story, and for such a narrative heavy series it didn't deserve to land in the 90's, but I digress.

As for how it'll be received in 10 years, honestly depends on the dlc and updates. Though I'm pretty sure regardless Noctis and Aranea will always be remembered fondly by most

If the PC version for example integrates all the DLC right into the main game, that could do a lot. Prompto's DLC already did wonders for some of the most glaring plot holes.

ykwWDyi.jpg

tumblr_myxsfovPXl1risusro1_250.gif

Only if you spend a significant chunk of hours and reach end game so..... no. It is terrible from start and more of a slog which most FFXIV fans can't acknowledge since their memory only revolves around playing the latest expansions (which are actually fun).

Nah. I can agree with that. Wrote a thing about the fact that the Realm Reborn stuff hasn't aged well and the current FFXIV needs to go back and make cuts and tweaks for new players.

In 10 years, FFXV won't hold up. 10 years from its initial release, FFXII holds up.

Did ffxvi come out yet where u are

Please say that Ito was freed from janitorial duties to direct XVI in this awesome future reality. Please.

It is a pleasant surprise for me how well the core of FFXII has held up, though, even excluding the quality of life additions from IZJS.

Please say that Ito was freed from janitorial duties to direct XVI in this awesome future reality. Please.

It is a pleasant surprise for me how well the core of FFXII has held up, though, even excluding the quality of life additions from IZJS.
I visited that place I can confirm it's toriyama

silva1991

Yeah it's impressive that a remaster of 11 old game is critically acclaimed. It says alot about it's quality and how it hold well.

I don't think a re release of 13 will get MC higher than 75 for example

Yeah it's impressive that a remaster of 11 old game is critically acclaimed. It says alot about it's quality and how it hold well.

Not only will the Goddess Trilogy Remaster score higher, it will sell better too.

I wonder how much of this frustration against ARR would be alleviated if they had just included the HW Jump potion for free.
Idk but I tried playing ARR late last year and quit around level 25-30. It was so slow and story was forgettable at that point.

MechaX

Idk but I tried playing ARR late last year and quit around level 25-30. It was so slow and story was forgettable at that point.

You were probably at the point where you were done with Ifrit and just getting into Titan, which is bar none probably the lowest point of most of XIV entirely.

ARR worked for its time, but I admit that it's not only four year old content, but back when the team was entirely experimenting. Plus, it seems as if it only dawned on the team that "oh shit, people are one day going to have to play 2.xx in a row instead of broken up several months at a time" on 2.4.

Eusis

Persona 5 came out 3 months ago, pal
P3 and P4 also came out since. Don't think any other FF since was better though. I guess XIV may have but as an MMO it hits a somewhat different niche.
FFXV > FFXIV > FFXIII > FFXII > FFXI > FFX > FFIX > FFVIII > FVII > FFVI

Prove me wrong
That is the order of release from newest to oldest, yes.
I like both ¯_(ツ)_/¯
I agree actually, though you can still choose a favorite. And FFXII is just plain a more robust game for me.

Davilmar

I can see the sentiment, but FFXII was a mediocre game even if it was superior to FFXV. Which says more about the state of Square-Enix than the quality of either games. The storyline about political intrigue was boring, the characters outside Balthier/Fran and Basch were boring, and didn't enjoy the combat system. The gambit system was a great idea, and would have made FFXIII infinitely better. That game was pure garbage and was irredeemable. The tragedy with FFXV was that it was basically an incomplete game, much like MGSV was. While the combat system was better than FFXIII, it was still underwhelming. The narrative felt like large chunks were removed, characterization and plot threads were introduced and dismissed, and I didn't give a damn about Lunafreya.

Since everyone seemed to mention Persona games, my personal favorite is 4G but it was also the first I managed to play through completely. Originally rented P3 from Blockbuster back when it was released initially, and it bored me to tears. Tried to beat it before getting P5, and the game was just as weak before as it is now. Terrible pacing, boring main dungeon (Tartarus), battle system changed that were hard to get into after P4G, characters I didn't care about, and a story that basically decided to give a damn in spurts.

robertoci

I agree actually, though you can still choose a favorite. And FFXII is just plain a more robust game for me.

Oh totally, I just don't feel the need to shit on another game to get that point across.

Not saying you are doing that though

Fav has gotta be a tie between X and XII for me

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm excited for FFXVI coz it will definitely be a blood bath. Can't wait for FFXVI and people will start getting personal with their opinions.

120v

FFXII was so much it's own thing i don't see a point in comparing it to XV in terms of "the state of affairs"

for example FFVI is my favorite one but i know comparing it to any game past IX or so wouldn't make a lot of sense in that regard

All I got to do is load up the splash screen of FF15 to realize how bad it is

Edit:. I do plan to buy 12 at some point. I was addicted to Halo 2 when it first released.

Vamphuntr

Funnily enough development issues for the series started to balloon up with XII. Matsuno called it quit halfway through. Then 13 was stuck in development hell with so much unused content they could create two sequels for it. XIV 1.0 was a disaster and needed a complete relaunch. And XV was a mess that was stuck in limbo with rewrites and gameplay changes on top of still fixing the game months after it released.

If anything XII marks the end of an era for FF. It had complexities and depth you wouldn't find in the XIII and XV related to equipment and skills possibilities. License system added a layer of customization too.

Riposte

I wonder how much of this frustration against ARR would be alleviated if they had just included the HW Jump potion for free.

I guess my earlier point can be boiled down to being there is no way a statement like this isn't a damning indictment of FFXIV as a "real Final Fantasy" game, one that gets thrown around as a true return to form whenever it's time to shit on the newer entries. With the degree of lowered expectations involved, you'd think there would be a big asterisk to that idea.

I don't see how someone can talk shit to FFXV fans when your choices are to persevere through an increasingly unpopular game-length slog or pay an extra 20 dollars to skip it. The option is pretty insulting in itself: could you imagine SE selling a 5 dollar DLC that allowed you to skip chapter 13 of FFXV? Even if it was free, it's basically giving up as a game designer. But really, what sets it apart is that they rather charge you more money to skip content (the main story, no less!) than make that content fun or manageable (vs. changing chapter 13 so it's better). And this is a game that already has monthly fee.

EDIT: To Yoshi-P's credit, he was quite reluctant to release those boost potions (outside China), or at least members on the team were.

True, and to be fair FF12 was originally released at such a bizzare time. It felt weird going between it on my PS2 and everything else on the newly released 360. Alot of us just passed over it in favour of newer gen stuff.

The remaster made two massive improvements:
-Speed up battles i.e no more grinding
-vastly superior graphics, no more blocky hands and expression-less faces.

Now I wish the same would happen to MGSV (the grind part, that is)

I'm so sick of people saying that games never were good, never will be good, and you are wrong for thinking they are good. Just say you don't like it, jc.

I've played 8 Final Fantasy games. My favorite two are VII and XIII-2. I swear to God you would think people who have anything positive to say about XIII or XV are second class citizens sometimes.

Edit: im sorry if this seems dramatic, it's just an issue I have with some posts on here compounded by reading XIII (and now XV) be a punchline for years now.

Dr Thor

Neo Member
and a story that basically decided to give a damn in spurts.

...I have bad news about P4G and P5, friend

(they all do this, but it's OK because P3/4/5 are all awesome)

I'm so sick of people saying that games never were good, never will be good, and you are wrong for thinking they are good. Just say you don't like it, jc.

I've played 8 Final Fantasy games. My favorite two are VII and XIII-2. I swear to God you would think people who have anything positive to say about XIII or XV are second class citizens sometimes.

Edit: im sorry if this seems dramatic, it's just an issue I have with some posts on here compounded by reading XIII (and now XV) be a punchline for years now.

People say dumb stuff on the internet, who cares? Discuss the sensible critiques, ignore the stupid ones. It's just white noise. All you're doing by complaining about it and taking it personally is amplifying it.

In 10 years people will say FFXV hold up way better than FFXVII will in 10 years... So the final fantasy cycle has spoken, so it will be.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I'm having the same feeling as the OP. Well, I thought FFXV was... OK. Not terrible, just not really gripping.

FFXII, on the other hand, I've put in 15 hours in a few days and consider it possibly the best opening for a FF game. I love the early progression as well. Story pacing is great. A linear, interesting story, but with open areas and secrets to find. I never played it back in the day, so I'm really happy to get to experience it for the first time now, with the improvements/tweaks.

My ranking is something like:

FFIV = FFVI > FFVII > FFXII > FFIX > a bunch of other FF games with XV somewhere in the middle

I'm having the same feeling as the OP. Well, I thought FFXV was... OK. Not terrible, just not really gripping.

FFXII, on the other hand, I've put in 15 hours in a few days and consider it possibly the best opening for a FF game. I love the early progression as well. Story pacing is great. A linear, interesting story, but with open areas and secrets to find. I never played it back in the day, so I'm really happy to get to experience it for the first time now, with the improvements/tweaks.

My ranking is something like:

FFIV = FFVI > FFVII > FFXII > FFIX > a bunch of other FF games with XV somewhere in the middle

Best opening segment? Easily FFVII. Followed by VI, then IV. That said, 12's beginning is VERY strong. I love the intro movie. The shot of the crows feasting on corpses as air ships fly over is incredible.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Personally I thought FFXII's opening was a little dull, like it's kinda lifeless and something I'm not expecting in a mainline FF?

I do like FFXIII's opening though mind you, it was pretty cool. Can't say about the rest of the story but the opening was cool.

Edit: talking about from the wedding of Ashe till the death of Reks in FFXII and the train cutscene to the end of the first corridor in FFXIII (or what we saw in the demo of FFXIII).

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Personally I thought FFXII's opening was a little dull, like it's kinda lifeless and something I'm not expecting in a mainline FF?

I do like FFXIII's opening though mind you, it was pretty cool. Can't say about the rest of the story but the opening was cool.

Edit: talking about from the wedding of Ashe till the death of Reks in FFXII and the train cutscene to the end of the first corridor in FFXIII (or what we saw in the demo of FFXIII).

And then there's the opening of FFXV or "we don't know what story to tell... go repair ur car!"

what an awful, awful game.

HeelPower

And then there's the opening of FFXV or "we don't know what story to tell... go repair ur car!"

what an awful, awful game.

The opening is shockingly terrible.

Useless in media res,pointless car pushing cutscene straight into a generic mmo kill quest from Cindy.

XV is just wow.

Spman2099

That's the Final Fantasy effect at work. The recent entries will be bombarded with a vocal minority of players criticizing it. Happened with XII, XIII and now XV.

Whenever the next entry comes out it usually takes a lot of that heat off of it.

FFXII also has the benefit of being able to fast-forward gameplay which keeps the game from being a slog.

This is nonsense... that was never the case with Final Fantasy games. Even VIII, which clearly has problems, was primarily praised. Final Fantasy used to be like Zelda: untouchable for the first year or so. Real criticism always came after a decent gap of time. On that topic, it isn't like people are suddenly claiming that FFXIII is a brilliant game. I would say the majority of the FFXV detractors would tell you that it is still a better game than XIII.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom