• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF7: Wife-beater Cid? Am I meant to like this guy?

I hope no one actually think it's wrong to write or enjoy deeply flawed protagonists. Writing and creating an abusive asshole does not mean that the work or the author condones real life abuse. Liking a flawed character does not mean you condone whatever evil they do.

Wrong. Stories are supposed to avoid things that make you uncomfortable and pretend like they don't exist apparently...

Am I meant to like this character?
Is this going to be PC for the FF7 remake?
Is the vast majority of FF7 going to be suitable for a modern day audience or are they going to have to make a HUGE amount of editing to the story and text?

You're meant to do nothing other than arrive at your own conclusions.
What exactly is a "modern day audience" and why would they have to edit a HUGE amount of the story and text? Because you don't find it suitable?

Kawika

It's to establish Cid as a flawed hero and give him an actual meaningful character arc in terms of forgiveness and acceptance.

I'm sorry if that's too much to ask of you.

This is my take. I don't have to like everyone in the party.
Yuffie straight up robs you and you get over it eventually.
. I actually like how he becomes less self centered over time. We shouldn't wash away serious issues because it makes someone uncomfortable or has the appearance of an "ist" or "ism."

LordKasual

Banned
More bad press than Avalanche, the terrorist group, who sacrifice innocent civilians for the "cause"? Should that change to? Terrorism is a lot more controversial now than then too...

You're really stretching that. Unlike terrorists in real life, who may kill hundreds of innocents for a religious cause, Avalanche's cause was more or less the plot of the game.

Wrong. Stories are supposed to avoid things that make you uncomfortable and pretend like they don't exist apparently...

Wrong. They're supposed to touch on these uncomfortable matters, but pop up a big flashing disclaimer saying "WHICH I HATE!" when the character is doing a bad thing. I require total infantilization and mutilation of my capacity for critical thought.

Paracelsus

It's a combination of her being self-loathing and taking the blame "because", and him being a grumpy douche blaming her for ruining his finest hour even though he pretty much knew the truth. It reminds me of Pai Chan hating Lau with a passion because she thought he had left his mother to die, when she was gonna die anyway. I think it is a trope, not sure about the name.

LordKasual

Banned
Wrong. They're supposed to touch on these uncomfortable matters, but pop up a big flashing disclaimer saying "WHICH I HATE!" when the character is doing a bad thing. I require total infantilization and mutilation of my capacity for critical thought.

Wrong. Because the devs including it in the game in the first place is perpetuating the issue. "WHICH I HATE" isn't doing enough. A character that isn't idealized completely and perfectly is a missed opportunity.

Wrong. Because the devs including it in the game in the first place is perpetuating the issue. "WHICH I HATE" isn't doing enough. A character that isn't idealized completely and perfectly is a missed opportunity.

Fair enough, although hopefully they have the sense to avoid those few situations not presented in the "BIG BOOK OF ALWAYS UNQUESTIONABLY CORRECT MORAL ACTIONS WHICH ARE ALWAYS ENTIRELY BLACK AND WHITE" by simply pretending they don't exist.

You're meant to do nothing other than arrive at your own conclusions.
What exactly is a "modern day audience" and why would they have to edit a HUGE amount of the story and text? Because you don't find it suitable?

you know, like how in our modern day there is no abusive language, no cross-dressing, no prostitution, no terrorism, etc. they need to update the game to match the utopia we currently live in.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Not a clue, but I'm looking forward to seeing how they do it.

Can't wait to see what they do with Dio, too.

latest

It's a more modern time for games. If they don't give him elite package, I'd be down right shocked.

von__zeppelin

Neo Member
It's to establish Cid as a flawed hero and give him an actual meaningful character arc in terms of forgiveness and acceptance.

I'm sorry if that's too much to ask of you.

The sad part is, society has come to nurture and baby the shit out of kids anymore. News flash for the whipper snappers, not everything smells like roses.

Top Bottom