• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFCC, Seiken Densetsu, DQ Monsters for DS announced?

jarrod

Banned
Not that it matters since Square no longer exists... Square Enix does. And Enix was a strong GBC/GBA supporter.

CrisKre

Wow, it will be nice to see how all this great games turn out to be.
I guess it will be like experiencing what this companies could have come up with if N64 had good 3rd party support (of course with the not small addition of the DS unique features).

Who would have tought how potentially huge DS turned out to be 2 and 1/2 months ago?

Meier

CrisKre said:
Who would have tought how potentially huge DS turned out to be 2 and 1/2 months ago?

Anyone who wasnt an idiot and/or blinded by hate. The minute they announced a GBA port, it sealed the fact it would be a huge success.

jarrod

Banned
E3 was really the turning point, DS had an amazing reception. I think even Nintendo was surprised by the overwhelmingly positive response. 3 months ago though, I think most people thought DS would end up being essentially "GameBoy 64". ;)

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I'm thinking the DS will get word of mouth assistance once it launches. I know that the SP was turning the heads of the "older" crowd after it launched... the PSP still has the Sony hype machine working for it, but it has to compete with 6+ months of the DS running at full steam.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Kobun Heat said:
Well, any company who isn't has some bizarre aversion to free money.
Damnit Kobun. You were like my rock. My GRAMMAR rock. And now you go and type something so reckless.

the DS is turning out to be a monster in disguise.

BC
great design

and

hella fucking lot of great games.

PSP = ass raped. (but it can play UMD movies... yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhh hh)

TheGreenGiant said:
the DS is turning out to be a monster in disguise.

BC
great design

and

hella fucking lot of great games.

PSP = ass raped. (but it can play UMD movies... yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhh hh)

Atleast we know you're open to given other systems a fair chance. :p

GDGF

Soothsayer
Now that you mention it, yeah, the Nintendo DS is kinda like what the N64 would have been (software wise, not feature wise) if it had become the number one console world wide. Support from every Japanese dev under the sun, and (come August 10th) support from the Western ones, too. It does put a smile on my face. I would have been content with Nintendo flavored games alone, but this is nice :)

NLB2 said:
After the console split from Nintendo how many games did Square release for a Nintendo hand held until Sword of Mana?

Well considering that Square supported GBA woulndt it be logic to support the next Nintendo Portable????

Bluemercury said:
Well considering that Square supported GBA woulndt it be logic to support the next Nintendo Portable????

by your logic... they should have released titles on the N64.

I think they're (and not just SE but most jap devs) wise to the fact that the DS will see the next POKEMON which will sell like a bazillion DSs and that in turn will mean sweet money for their coffers due to the rapid growth of the install base (as opposed to the PSP)

TheGreenGiant said:
by your logic... they should have released titles on the N64.
They absolutely should have. I'm not saying they should have kept their focus on it, but done like Enix: released a game or two, just to test the waters and keep a solid working relationship with Nintendo. It came back to bite them right in the ass when the GBA came out and they realized what an opportunity they'd wasted.

EDIT: That said, the fact that Square Enix is throwing this kind of support behind the DS is indicative that they see a money-making opportunity, that the numbers work out for them.

cvxfreak

Kobun Heat said:
They absolutely should have. I'm not saying they should have kept their focus on it, but done like Enix: released a game or two, just to test the waters and keep a solid working relationship with Nintendo. It came back to bite them right in the ass when the GBA came out and they realized what an opportunity they'd wasted.

EDIT: That said, the fact that Square Enix is throwing this kind of support behind the DS is indicative that they see a money-making opportunity, that the numbers work out for them.

I agree with this post. The GBA is such a lucrative platform to develop for; low development cost and high sales (especially when Square Enix charges more than average for their GBA games). Their attempts to keep the WonderSwan alive were embarrassing to say the least. I guess Nintendo got the last laugh, though. Square and Enix have been inconsequential to Nintendo this generation. Crystal Chronicles didn't change the GC's userbase much, and the GBA sold before they even announced support.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
wazoo said:
Yes, it will be, also for the future of nintendo in general. DS will teach them if they can rely on originality alone.

Honestly, I think they got quite a bit more going here than originality.
Its gonna be interesting...with the amount of parents who purchased a SP last year, plus with the more difficult technology, and higher prices (PSP included) right now I don't see either doing exceptionally well at start...but what do I know?

Top Bottom